2. Into the dark

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 2. Into the dark

#321 Post by Pulpatoon »

With the dragon about to make her way upstairs and Onde unchained, Oelle starts looking for a safe exit from the tower.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#322 Post by mb. »

Note that Nessilka's voice is coming from above. My descriptions might not have been clear, but it's clear to you that she's the cause of the collapsing ceiling...

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#323 Post by Spartakos »

If the dragon's up top, I say we go down and GTFO. But we need to get Aziza loose.

Bedwyr uses his sword to cut at the demon's chain, trying to untangle himself and free Aziza from its clutches so they can beat a retreat, before the dragon's fury undoes them all.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#324 Post by KingOfCowards »

Spartakos wrote:If the dragon's up top, I say we go down and GTFO. But we need to get Aziza loose.

Bedwyr uses his sword to cut at the demon's chain, trying to untangle himself and free Aziza from its clutches so they can beat a retreat, before the dragon's fury undoes them all.
I was thinking the same thing. This room actually seems more dangerous with an angry dragon in it.
Boggs will assist Onde, and make a break for the stairs.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Pulpatoon »

Seeing Boggs and Bedwyr freeing Aziza, Oelle rushes to Onde and attempts to corral/carry her to the stairs. While doing so, he double checks that he has his books and looks around to see if there's anything of, uhm, significant scholarly interest to grab while the imps are occupied.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#326 Post by Kanye Westeros »

Aziza
Cricket: 3 hold

Seeing that retreat is now the better part of valor, the bear releases the magical pressure she'd been holding in.
Returning to my own form
And almost before the fur disappears, I immerse myself in another form, one quite alien...
Shapeshifter [2d6+1] = 10+1 = 11
Chitinous plates snap and crackle into place over my skin as I shrink rapidly, my limbs warp and change, new limbs sprout, and then, quick as you please, A cricket slips easily from the grasp of the demon. It leaps onto Bedwyr's shoulder, chirps quickly and then bounds at top speed for the stairs...Its small cricket brain focused on one strange, un-cricket-like, thought. spear...get the spear...need the spear...
Hey yo, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but...WINTER IS COMING.
Aziza Faster-than-Death - The Balance Shifts
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
HP: 19/19
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9
Animal Forms: Wolf, Bear, Badger, Elk, Eagle, Hawk, Salmon, Rat, Beaver, Cricket, Spider
Sentinel - Vanguard: Comic Book Campaign

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#327 Post by mb. »

Bedwyr, you raise your sword, and suddenly Aziza disappears! Considering your goal was to free her, you can't help but pause. The demon draws together and begins writhing across the floor back towards the digram. If you'd like to follow through and strike the demon anyway, please roll Hack & Slash + DEX.

Oelle, the chamber is quite bare. The most likely place to find something academically interesting would be behind the curtain.

Boggs, Oelle crouches beside you and begins helping Onde to her feet.

Aziza, you fall to the floor, and are surrounded by looming shapes: the demon's chains receding, Bedwyr's feet. The most imminent danger to you seems to be getting crushed inadvertently.

The imp cloud drops the gem, which arcs down towards the crawling demon.

What do you do?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#328 Post by KingOfCowards »

"Bedwyr! Let's get out of here. Let the dragon deal with the demon."

Although I wouldn't mind you grabbing that gem

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Pulpatoon »

Seeing Boggs' eyes on the falling gem, Oelle says, "I have Onde. Get the gem. It's trouble in the demon's hands."

While attempting to either get Onde on her own two feet or to pick her up, Oelle glances over her, appraising the effects of the demonic ritual. Is she still bearing horns? How transformed does she appear to be, and does Oelle have a sense of its permanency?

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#330 Post by Kanye Westeros »

Aziza
Cricket: 3 hold

The cricket bounds, and twists, nimbly avoiding the stomping feet of the titans clashing above her. The insects single minded determination focused only on the stairway through which the group had entered this hellish chamber.
To speed things along, I am pre-rolling a Defy Danger, just add whichever stat you feel is appropriate.
[2d6] = 9
Hey yo, I'm really happy for you, and I'mma let you finish, but...WINTER IS COMING.
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9
Animal Forms: Wolf, Bear, Badger, Elk, Eagle, Hawk, Salmon, Rat, Beaver, Cricket, Spider

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#331 Post by Spartakos »

What are the risks if I try to catch the gem as it falls?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Pulpatoon »

It could be burning hot, or shatteringly cold. It could turn you into a newt, or suck your blood out to open the demon portal. Or it could be fine. Only one way to find out!

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#333 Post by mb. »

Boggs, what you know is that it's a large gem burning with unholy arcane flames. Any number of things could happen it you touch it.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#334 Post by Spartakos »

Okay, Eff that then. Let's boogie.

Seeing the tower being caught between a demonic ritual and a dragon's wrath, Bedwyr decides that discretion is not merely the better part of valor, it's the only part right now. With Oelle and Boggs assisting Onde, he makes a break for the stairs. When he gets there, he will stand with sword ready to cover the retreat of his comrades; once Oelle, Onde, and Boggs are through, he will also head down. He can't see Aziza, but trusts in her ability to get herself out...if anything, more than the rest of them, with her ability to take a flying form if needed.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#335 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sounds good. Let's beat it.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#336 Post by Kanye Westeros »

Also what should I do to get my stuff back? That spear of mine has sentimental value! :)
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#337 Post by mb. »

Boggs & Oelle, shuffle Onde off towards the stairs, as Bedwyr covers their escape. Aziza bounces free of the crowd undamaged and (I assume?) heads for the stairs with the others.

The action in the chamber continues as you flee from it: the gem arcs down to the crawling pile of chains, which swallows it and begins to glow from within, dragging itself slowly towards the diagram on the crumbling wall. As you begin to descend the stairs, the temperature drops dramatically as the small chamber is swallowed in a blast of icy crystals which billows out towards you as you duck down the stairs into the chamber below.

The chamber below seems much as you left it, with the exception of the broken chain and absent dragon.

Aziza, you believe that your stuff is somewhere downstairs from the chamber below this one, near the cells are where you were imprisoned.

Kanye Westeros
Tracker
Tracker

#338 Post by Kanye Westeros »

Then that's where I'm going
Lvl 2 Halfling Druid
Armor 1/1
XP 2/9

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#339 Post by mb. »

Our doughty heroes having fled the climax of the action, let's switch to a little narration...

Descending through the dragon's chamber and into the one below it, you're all pleased to find that the gnolls have fled and all is empty and still. Everything is as you left it: table overturned, eating utensils scattered around the floor, and a few boxes and barrels standing beneath the stairs, obviously emptied by the fleeing gnolls. Descending the stairs through the arched opening, you find the holding cells, and near them a stout door secured by a crude padlock, quickly dispatched by Boggs. Behind the door a small chamber holds Aziza's gear, and a small collection of weapons and other items, none of them of particular quality.

As you return to the gnoll's chamber, the walls and floor tremble, followed by a faint sound of explosion and tumbling stone from above, and the mixed smell of burning and winter a moment later.

I don't want to assume too much: are you all intending to GTFO as quickly as possible, or is there anything you still want to do?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#340 Post by Spartakos »

I'm good to flee the scene; as far as I'm concerned, we have what we came for.

Return to “The Balance Shifts... (Dungeon World)”