OOC Discussion

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#301 Post by Zorroroaster »

Ok, so it wasn't. I just wanted to say a cool line. I'll shut up now. :(
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#302 Post by bobloblah »

Anyone else thinking of withdrawing to the room where we can bar the doors? We don't seem well-equipped to handle these black skeletons... assuming that's more of them on the way.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#303 Post by kalstone »

I agree. It's too easy to get surrounded in this room.
bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#304 Post by bobloblah »

What if Ranulf charges the eastern passage to block the new arrivals there, Audi, Emm and Solaine move up behind the Automaton to take out the remaining skeleton there, Galen sends his wardog to assist Ranulf while staying near the middle the room (without leaving, in case someone drops), Steel waits to call his Automaton, and Torgyr heads out the west passage to lead the trip back to the room where we can bar the doors? I'm not sure who has a light source (other than Galen, who has a lantern)...

Does anyone have oil left?

How fast does it seem the black skeletons have been moving?
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by Zorroroaster »

I do have an oil flask left. We don't have anyone down yet.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by drpete »

The skeletons move like men, at 120 (40/round).

One complication... Steel and the automaton had their stuff in large bags. These are carried 2 handed, and are both on the ground. Two of the masks are in Steel's bag, but he can't use his arbalest while holding it, and the automatons bag is over near Steel, not near the fire.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8
bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#307 Post by bobloblah »

Zorroroaster wrote:I do have an oil flask left. We don't have anyone down yet.
We can always go for the first part of the plan, then see how it goes for Ranulf, before we run like cowards. Instead of leaving, you can firebomb the new skeletons. Let's get the others' input.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by Zorroroaster »

Alike minds think great.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#309 Post by kalstone »

Yeah. That plan sounds good. Pete, would Solaine know the reason she couldn't turn the skeletons? Whether it was because Climent was right and the gods have no power over them or because she just didn't make a good enough attempt?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by drpete »

It's hard to tell, really. I guess turning is kind of channeling the power of your god to rebuke the thing it hates. You might feel the power moving through you when it works, but you would just feel no effect if it doesnt, either because the god wasn't listening, couldn't get through, or didn't have a satisfactory target. You might have just failed the roll, or some more significant effect might be in place.

That said, once it doesn't work, that's it for that encounter.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#311 Post by bobloblah »

drpete wrote:It's hard to tell, really. I guess turning is kind of channeling the power of your god to rebuke the thing it hates. You might feel the power moving through you when it works, but you would just feel no effect if it doesnt, either because the god wasn't listening, couldn't get through, or didn't have a satisfactory target. You might have just failed the roll, or some more significant effect might be in place.

That said, once it doesn't work, that's it for that encounter.
Interesting question... new batch of black skeletons = new encounter?
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by drpete »

Well, you are welcome to try. I'd give you the benefit of the doubt on that...

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by drpete »

Various tactical notes:

The area with the automaton is kind of a "choke point" and it's hard for many people to help the automaton... if you fight "beside" it, it might end up in the fire. Ajax might be able to get in there, but Solaine would be hard pressed to reach the skeleton with her dual swords. Unless the automaton falls, retreats or something... Steel would need to instruct it in what to do, as it will just keep attacking at this point, as will Ajax unless called back. The spear maidens can reach that skeleton, but they might be needed elsewhere.

For Steel to be able to fire into the hallway where you expect skeletons to come out, he'll need to step 10-20 feet away from the bags of his gear. He can pick up and lug one of them (either his or the automaton's) over to a new location, but he'd have to sling his arbalest if he did that.

Ranulf would be able to run over to the east hallway, but he can't "charge" there, and thus cannot attack right away. The girls could reposition themselves near the hallway and attack, as they're more maneuverable than Ranulf.

Torgyr can get into position and toss right away, or wait until he sees how things look.

Randolpho's position just in the west hallway is going to get illuminated as the action moves north, so if he wants to stay "hidden" he'll need to move north into the dark passage.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#314 Post by kalstone »

Ok. I updated my action based on that info.
bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#315 Post by bobloblah »

My thinking was that Ranulf would be the roadblock, at least long enough for Torgyr to throw flaming oil on the black skeletons as they crowd up behind their front rank. Should be able to catch a lot of them with the oil. In the meantime, the Automaton is unlikely to finish the last of the original black skeletons by itself, or at least not without significant risk of destruction. Audi and Emm can surely help put that skeleton down, seeing as they have spears, no? As for Solaine, if she can't help in the south, then she could help Ranulf hold the line (maybe Solaine needs a glaive) until Audi and Emm can finish the skeleton and reposition. My intention is also to send Ajax to help Ranulf.

We're stuck waiting for Ranulf, anyway.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by drpete »

bobloblah wrote:My thinking was that Ranulf would be the roadblock, at least long enough for Torgyr to throw flaming oil on the black skeletons as they crowd up behind their front rank. Should be able to catch a lot of them with the oil. In the meantime, the Automaton is unlikely to finish the last of the original black skeletons by itself, or at least not without significant risk of destruction. Audi and Emm can surely help put that skeleton down, seeing as they have spears, no? As for Solaine, if she can't help in the south, then she could help Ranulf hold the line (maybe Solaine needs a glaive) until Audi and Emm can finish the skeleton and reposition. My intention is also to send Ajax to help Ranulf.

We're stuck waiting for Ranulf, anyway.
Audi and Emm certainly can help put that skeleton down, especially once Ranulf moves. It's just hard for Solaine to get in there (you could argue on the map about attacking "around the corner" but it's kinda iffy, especially for a dual sword wielder rather than a spear wielder). The question is kind of where does it make sense for them to go?

Ranulf can certainly be a roadblock, no question. Assuming the skeletons are coming right away, though, he can't move all the way to the hallway and attack, since his move is only 20/round. He can certainly get there and be a blocker, though. The question is how many do you need to hold the line? He probably can't hold a 10 foot hallway by himself indefinitely.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by drpete »

Happy Halloween everyone!
jason_skeletons-05.gif
jason_skeletons-05.gif (1.22 MiB) Viewed 309 times

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#318 Post by kalstone »

If Ranulf has trouble holding the line alone, Solaine can move into the front rank beside him.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by drpete »

Ok, so we have Steel abandoning his gear and moving to fire on the skeletons, Solaine firing when they come down the corridor, and Torgyr preparing, but not yet throwing, his military oil.

I'm going to assume Ranulf is running up to block the entrance if we don't hear from him, and that Randolpho is moving north up the corridor to stay hidden, if we don't hear from them relatively soon. For the henchies, I hear your suggestions that they stay in place. What does Brother Galen (and Ajax) do? Bob, you said you wanted to redirect Ajax up to the northeast corner?

I'll run with what I've got some time tomorrow if all stays quiet. I see Lamech and Barkman are lurking, so I assume they're good with this.
Last edited by drpete on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo pointed out by bob

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#320 Post by bobloblah »

drpete wrote:...and Steel preparing, but not yet throwing, his military oil.
Typo, I think. That one should read "Torgyr," not "Steel."

EDIT: D'oh! I didn't actually answer your question. Sorry!
drpete wrote:Bob, you said you wanted to redirect Ajax up to the northeast corner?
Yes, with the fight near the Automaton being slightly crowded, I'd like to get Ajax over to support Ranulf.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”