OOC

The_Wanderer
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#301 Post by shaidar »

Aha, that solves that then! :)

Jonas is sort of happy to get involved in being at the purchase of the ship, but perhaps not the main driver. He wants to keep a low profile, but understands that a criminal background might be useful to the transaction.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by Marullus »

If we now have the atmospheric configuration, the cargo lighter is not a strict necessity. (A half-dozen grav-bikes and/or a grav-truck could be more fun.)

As-is, we will be reliant on finding a place to refuel in each system before we can hop again. (That's probably expected, now that we can land to be serviced on planets.) A Fuel Bunker allows us security, that we can get out of a bad situation/bad system without that dependency. Up to you guys if its worth it.

It is unclear that delivering the AI is a near-term or long-term goal. In my mind, depends if it is a fun enough aspect for us to want to keep it around or convince it to bond with the ship and stay with us. :)

That's a huge amount of cargo space. Does Ekaterina want to pick up legitimate cargo to take with us and make legitimate funds for our next upgrades? What job(s) is anyone planning for the next jaunt?

Edit to add: For whomever needs it, fuel is a flat 500 credits per load, and only spent on a spike drill. Maneuvers in the system are insignificant.
Last edited by Marullus on Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by shaidar »

That's a great idea to take cargo!

I'm up paying the money for a fuel bunker. The flexibility is worth it if we can get it fitted within the two week period.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by The Bindoner »

Yes, I was indeed thinking of putting all Ekaterina's spare cash into cargo/trade items. She's buying a hoverbike, armour, some guns, a void-suit and a few other items, about 10k. 3k in hand, 15k for ship upgrade contributions and cargo.

As she's upgrading herTrade skill assume she is going to try to arrange a bulk discount on the bikes and help with any other purchases. Normally she would be eager to get involved with the ship purchase, but if the AI is determined to pay over the odds... well, she doesn't to get a reputation for either getting ripped off or knowingly payer too much ( even as an agent for another ).

A fuel bunker seems essential. Always need a way out of trouble.
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#305 Post by Lance »

If my math is correct, 1 ton of trade goods is 50k, and 1 ton of trade metals is 10k
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by shaidar »

I can see why Ekaterina would not want to be associated with a shady deal.

For simplicity, this is my current shopping list:

Panspectral optics, 15000
Combat field uniform, 1000
Laser rifle, 300

Vacc suit, 100
hovercycle, 5000

The optics require 2 weeks (or 1 week, plus a week of recovery on ship at a push)
I was going to get a vacc-skin, but it's TL-5, difficult to find and expensive, so I've decided to go for an ordinary vacc-suit.
The items in bold need a roll to find them.
Adding 4.2k for the fuel bunker, doesn't really leave anything to put into cargo.
Last edited by shaidar on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Marullus »

Lance wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 pm If my math is correct, 1 ton of trade goods is 50k, and 1 ton of trade metals is 10k
Hrm. The prices for those are given in personal encumbrance probably not meant. To be extrapolated. (Though, I do think you are probably correct.) The Suns of Gold expansion has the rules for running actual traders in a campaign, but I don't see THIS as that kind of campaign. ;) We are defined as gritty mercs on the shady side who don't like morals.

Our hold is HUGE. Superfluously big, at least until we put in some modules. We can pack five helicopters, five airplanes, or five tanks in there and still have room for two dozen gravcycles and several tons of space left over. I think that's the advantage that Ekaterina can barter. We don't need to buy the cargo - we just need to get a commission for a shipping deal from someone who needs us to move huge, bulky vehicles for them.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by shaidar »

We need a find a money launderer. If we can get get some 'clean' credits we can buy the ship legitimately. Yes, there will be a cut removed as payment but surely it can't be as much as we are loosing buying the ship the current way.

Perhaps Loius or Zulehka can help.
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#309 Post by Lance »

Depending on what "due to the source of my funds" means, I'm not sure we would need to launder the money. the AI could just wire us the needed funds and we would provide the "human background"? It's not like they can do this without us.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by Marullus »

The AI explained it has access to Pre-Scream funds that are in Mandate accounts - so it is stealing those centuries-old funds from lost accounts (or their present owners) for the purchase. :)

...I don't think accepting the wire transfer is a good idea. ;)
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#311 Post by Faanku »

Now I might have to buy a hoverbike to not feel left out.
The_Wanderer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:57 pmMost major systems are a matter of weeks to install - I'm thinking 1d4 weeks. The cargo lighter is just transported mass though so would not require installation time.
A standard T4 world can do 25,000c of work on a ship per day (page 94), so installing a fuel bunker on a free merchant shouldn't take more than 24 hours.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#312 Post by The_Wanderer »

Faanku wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:35 am Now I might have to buy a hoverbike to not feel left out.
The_Wanderer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:57 pmMost major systems are a matter of weeks to install - I'm thinking 1d4 weeks. The cargo lighter is just transported mass though so would not require installation time.
A standard T4 world can do 25,000c of work on a ship per day (page 94), so installing a fuel bunker on a free merchant shouldn't take more than 24 hours.
While that's true...it doesn't assure you that shipyard space will be available. Kind of like when my car breaks down and 4 hours of mechanic work turns into a 1 week long fix.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#313 Post by The_Wanderer »

Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:02 pm
Lance wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:35 pm If my math is correct, 1 ton of trade goods is 50k, and 1 ton of trade metals is 10k
Hrm. The prices for those are given in personal encumbrance probably not meant. To be extrapolated. (Though, I do think you are probably correct.) The Suns of Gold expansion has the rules for running actual traders in a campaign, but I don't see THIS as that kind of campaign. ;) We are defined as gritty mercs on the shady side who don't like morals.

Our hold is HUGE. Superfluously big, at least until we put in some modules. We can pack five helicopters, five airplanes, or five tanks in there and still have room for two dozen gravcycles and several tons of space left over. I think that's the advantage that Ekaterina can barter. We don't need to buy the cargo - we just need to get a commission for a shipping deal from someone who needs us to move huge, bulky vehicles for them.
I can work with this math for now. I have Suns of Gold if needed to reference but for now we can run with this. If you're just hauling generic trade goods, there will always be an aided Trade Roll (and maybe a connect roll) at the end of the trade to find a buyer and get a good price.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#314 Post by The_Wanderer »

Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:07 pm If we now have the atmospheric configuration, the cargo lighter is not a strict necessity. (A half-dozen grav-bikes and/or a grav-truck could be more fun.)

As-is, we will be reliant on finding a place to refuel in each system before we can hop again. (That's probably expected, now that we can land to be serviced on planets.) A Fuel Bunker allows us security, that we can get out of a bad situation/bad system without that dependency. Up to you guys if its worth it.

It is unclear that delivering the AI is a near-term or long-term goal. In my mind, depends if it is a fun enough aspect for us to want to keep it around or convince it to bond with the ship and stay with us. :)

That's a huge amount of cargo space. Does Ekaterina want to pick up legitimate cargo to take with us and make legitimate funds for our next upgrades? What job(s) is anyone planning for the next jaunt?

Edit to add: For whomever needs it, fuel is a flat 500 credits per load, and only spent on a spike drill. Maneuvers in the system are insignificant.
Regarding fuel - my intention is that if you are going to an inhabited system, you will always be able to get SOMEWHERE that has fuel. Now if you fly out to a black hole and get stranded, we'll all probably have to get more creative on how to bail you out.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by shaidar »

Ok so perhaps we try and find somewhere on the way to do it, that can fit us in more quickly.

Unless you plan to roll the d4 at the start and then we can decide whether to wait that long if they are too busy and can't fit us in immediately, or do we have to commit first?

If we're not doing the fuel bunker up front then I will have some money I can put into cargo.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#316 Post by The_Wanderer »

Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:47 pm
Lance wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:27 pmThough of the AI has to pay extra because of the shady nature of his not in person purchase, yet being present in person is needed anyway, maybe a trusted party could just find a more suitable vessel for a more agreeable price ;)
A solid point. ;)
The_Wanderer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:55 pmIf there are any outstanding posts IC that it looks like I have not responded to, please let me know.
It looks like most of the outstanding concerns are purchases. :)

- Askor's pilot training is hand-waived, narrative-only.
- Shion has 12 days of mod costs (not fully public)
- Alix and Jonas both implied private transactions
- Ekaterina was potentially negotiating for a bulk transaction on six gravcycles?
- Someone is handling the in-person purchase transaction for the ship

Sem's list is:
- Spending four days with Shion, also buying a factory-new Imani XM-86 assault rifle, and modding it to be Specialized when symbiotic with Shion. (Matching Shion's fervor and intensity, she also works full-out to halve the time, from one week to 3.5 days, but doesn't hire another assistant.) (300+500=800)
- Picking up 180 rounds of ammunition to go with it (two ready magizines, 120 rounds packed). (90)
- Spending five days on Elite Living out on the town with Askor, shopping, eating at exclusive restaurants, and goofing off to gain fun experiences. (1000)
- Common upkeep the four days with Shion, Good upkeep for the remaining days to complete two weeks (14-5-4= 5*25). (60+125)
Out of the 28,000, that leaves her 25,925.

- She will chip in whatever costs are decided for the ship that the AI can't pay (Shaidar suggested 4200+4167, assuming nobody can negotiate that down).
- She will pay her portion of a gravbike bulk transaction. If there is no bulk gravbike transaction, she purchases her own (5,000-negotiation?) She tries to goad Askor into doing the same.
- With what she has left, she wants to get the best deal she can on acquiring the two drones (one overwatch, one support) as previously spec'd or as close to it as is available.

Drone Specs:
Note that if options are dropped, the options on each drone are in priority-order.
Marullus wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:19 am Sleeper (2,500) (Total 10,750)
Observation Suite (250)
Sensor Transparency (5,000)
Holoskin (3,000)

Stalker (1,000) (Total 9,480)
Expert System (5,000)
Medical Support (2,000)
6 Lift (300) [1d8 healing]
6 Lazarus Patches (180)
Bomber (500)
2 Demo Charges (500) [3d10]

Stalker (1,000) (Can carry 60kg) (Total 7,000)
Heavy Lift (2,000)
Heavy Lift (2,000)
Heavy Lift (2,000)

Hovercycle (5,000)
2 Speed, 3 Armor, 10 HP, 1 Crew, 1 Tonnage
Black Hoverbike-small.jpg
I added some notes in the House Rules about shopping. Generally all your stuff is available including the parts of the drones that are not strictly military (i.e. explosives). To get it all, you'll need a Connect 8 check (1 other can aid) which can be repeated weekly.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by The Bindoner »

Ekaterina will make a Connect check, who's best for the assist?
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by shaidar »

How does assisting a skill check work?

Jonas has connect-0 and a +1 from CHR. Would that work? I think he is the only other character with the connect skill.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by Marullus »

The_Wanderer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:37 pmI added some notes in the House Rules about shopping. Generally all your stuff is available including the parts of the drones that are not strictly military (i.e. explosives). To get it all, you'll need a Connect 8 check (1 other can aid) which can be repeated weekly.
Sweet. We already established the roleplay that Askor and Sem are hunting the used-gear markets in their shopping spree.
Connect [2d6+1]=11+1=12 Askor Help [2d6-1]=10-1=9
...so she finds her desired Drone dealer easily.

I previously posted Trade rolls to haggle - with this Connect success, do they do any good? (When dropping 20,000 credits on two drones, every percentage savings helps. :) )

The Demo Charges shouldn't be rare or milspec -
Demo Charges are the general run of placed explosives beloved of terrorists and adventurers the world over. The usual variety can be detonated by radio signals, timers, or electrical charges, and inflict their damage on any objects within twenty meters,...
The Bomber fitting is just one fitting that has latches to drop two standard items. It isn't military missiles. If you would allow it to have a laser than a bomber and would be willing to waive the separate ammo fitting requirement, that's fine by me as well.

I calculated two weeks of Upkeep charges. Was that necessary?

I'll let Ekaterina roll for the bulk gravcycle purchases. :D

Edit to add:
The Bindoner wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:44 pmEkaterina will make a Connect check, who's best for the assist?
Ekaterina has Cha+Connect +2
Jonas Jones +1
Sem, Alix Conzweth +0
Shion, Askor -1

Edit to add, again:
shaidar wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 pm How does assisting a skill check work?

Jonas has connect-0 and a +1 from CHR. Would that work? I think he is the only other character with the connect skill.
You roll a check (not necessarily the same skill) at the same difficulty. If you succeed you give them a +1 on the result.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#320 Post by shaidar »

Here is my roll to assist Ekaterina in her purchasing:

Connect (0+CHR): [_2d6+1]=(3+1)=4+1=5

Sorry, no +1

Return to “Sigma Chronos (SWN:Revised)”