Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter #5: Adventure #5 The Hermit's Riddle

#281 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal speaks, clearing his throat. I still think of we make the mystic invisible in the cave the genie might think he has managed to escape somehow and lower the wall himself to check. At that point perhaps we can make ourselves known and begin a contest of wits with him whilst Mahara escapes unseen. If we make enough noise when the wall is lowered it should cover the priest’s exit. We might be able to use spells duh as hypnotism and command to take him out if he gets violent all of a sudden.
Greys Campaign.
Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#282 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer peered at the wall and then to Jamal. There was no question that the Sha'ir's plan was a exceptional one, and in most cases, the scholarly man would support the attempt at trickery over an act of brute force. However, the group had a greater task to see to, and they could not afford to tarry here for much longer. There was no way of knowing when the gen would return, and perhaps releasing the hermit from his prison would bring about a quicker end to their present dilemma.

"Yes, my friend, yours is a good plan, but can we in good conscience ask Mahara to remain a prisoner? I believe we should at least try to return his freedom. Besides, this is his home, and breaking down the wall may draw the gen into the confrontation you seek." he replied.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal nods at that point. If we can pull down the wall at all that is. If it is magical it is lovely joined to the walls of the cave seamlessly. We would have to dig through and that could take a while.
Greys Campaign.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#284 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex adds,"Fate is putting us to the test it seems." Abrex helps Dubb dig in the sand and try and get under the wall.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#285 Post by Zeromancer »

Ameer noticed the considerable effort that was being made to remove the sand from the cave. As such, he directed his retainers to assist in the process.

"Use the buckets we use to haul water to carry the sand outside the cave." he said to his men.

In the meantime, the scholar began increasing the tensile strength of their rope by braiding several lengths together. He suspected that a normal rope might snap under the tremendous stresses that would occur should they utilize his brute force method, but several would be able to share the load equally.
Last edited by Zeromancer on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#286 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Futile Attempts & Stone Walls

The group discusses many different things and attempts to dig under the wall however the cavern floor is rock and not sand. Removing loose sand is no effort at all merely just sweeping away blown in sands away with ones hands to reveal a solid cavern floor of stone. The Hermit speaks up "If it were that easy I would have dug myself free weeks ago." he says to those outside the wall that are listening. He eats the rations Jamal shrunk and passed to him earlier as they have slowly regrown to normal size. "I thank you for the food. But I think you were onto a better idea making me invisible the Dao should return soon with yet another 'Wrong' answer for me if I am not here he just might be dumb enough to remove the wall to look for me." he adds.

Sure enough the group hears the telltale thunder and lighting effect the Dao used when he confronted them once before. The Dao appears in the sky and heads towards Mahara's cave but notices something near the other caves and goes to investigate them first. It appears he has noticed his "minion" that was killed back near the first cave and is off checking that scene out. The group has some time to act quickly in whatever they plan to do now. The camels and retainers moved up and are near to Mahara's cave.

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#287 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

Jafar! Quick, fetch me a spell of Invisibility, and damned your hide if you fail this time!
Less than a minute later, Jafar returns, beaming with pride. Master, I have your spell!

Surprised that the gen actually returned with a spell and before it was no longer useful, Benham is momentarily at a loss for words. Oh! Uh, yes. Thank you, Jafar. Good job. Now, Mahara, it is time for you to "disappear" as it were. Peering through the hole, he spots the hermit and casts the spell upon him.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal smiles when Alara returns with the invisibility spell 8 rounds after she left. He sees Benham cast his own spell upon the mystic and quickly casts his own invisibility spell upon himself.

[1d100] = 36 Success.

Quickly Alara, a spell of blindness would you, if things go awry we may be able to bargain with the genie for the return of his sight.

The wind gen crackles out of existence immediately. [1d100] = 31 : [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 : [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8 : [1d6+3] = 5+3 = 8 : [1d6+4] = 6+4 = 10

He Halfling sha’ir moves silently away from his companions to put at least 20 feet of distance between them. Spread out, he whispers invisibly. Genies have potent magical powers, and could potentially take us out with one spell if we clump too close together.
Greys Campaign.
Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Dram »

Anuzal spreads out away from the group and covers himself with his cloak. Holds the Jumbaya ready to attack if things go bad.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#290 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex scatters from the group a bit as well and looks for his best strategic location in a non threatening pose.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by ravenn4544 »

Asad sees no one will stand against this genie from the sky. He shakes his head sadly and moves to where the retainers and horses are to bide his time for battle.
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Bluehorse »

Emma

Joins Asad off to the side. Think of the stories you are going to be able to tall after all this? How many people get to say they faced down a Djinn twice in only a couple days and survived?
Zeromancer
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#293 Post by Zeromancer »

Having realized that the task of digging beneath the wall was a futile one, Ameer lamented about how foolish he had been to even consider it. He also wondered why the hermit had only now relayed the period of the comings and goings of the genie to them considering that they had already spent a significant amount of time mulling over several methods to affect the man's escape. As Mahara anticipated the genie's return to be in the near term, the scholar directed his grooms to take the mounts and supply wagon out of sight from the cave, and for his retainers to take position with him against the rockface. He then used the dusty canvas tarps to cover them and conceal their presence from sight.

"Stay out of sight until it's plainly apparent that the genie's fallen for our deception." he uttered in a low voice.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

When he hears the Gen announce his return, Dubb sighs and moves to hide in cave #3. "Once he hopefully drops the wall, Mahara should stay hidden and we hope he doesn't put the wall back up."
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#295 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

Abrex moves out of sight.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#296 Post by Scott308 »

Benham Iskandar

Seeing everyone else hiding, the sha'ir quickly sends Jafar for another spell. Jafar, Spiderclimb, please, and be quick!

Just a few seconds later, the gen returns. Here, Master! Hurriedly casting the spell, Benham climbs to the ceiling, trying to find a place that will make him harder to spot.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#297 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ynadin & Mahara

Snapping into action quickly invisibility is cast upon Mahara the hermit mystic. Then Jamal makes himself "scarce" others get into hiding positions some back in the 3rd cave others wherever they can by magical or other means. After a matter of moments the dao Ynadin can be seen heading towards the hermits cave. The genie does not look at all happy then again he was fairly intimidating the first time most of you met him.

Ynadin description: Ynadin appears to be a bald giant, with granite-gray skin and coal-black eyes. He wears nothing except blue silk pantaloons so he can proudly display his massive chest, powerful shoulders, and trunk-like arms, all corded with rock-hard muscle.

The dao looks irritated that one of his werehyena was killed but even more so that the other 3 don't appear to be around. He walks to the the stone wall and utters some incantation and the wall turns to mud. He looks even more upset to say the least when the old man is no where in sight. "What! who could've? Where is the old man! Mahara!" the genie shouts with rage. "That crafty old codger. How could he have escaped I blocked him in there!" becoming even more angry by the minute "Batul! Soraya! Maaz! get over here now!" he commands but no werehyenas come to his side which makes him angrier. "Where have those incompetent mutts gotten off too?!" then trying to calm down the dao does something else which most guess to be casting another spell Jamal and Benham recognize that the dao is casting a spell indeed and they both gulp wondering if their ploy might be ruined.

For Jamal & Benham Only
you can tell that Ynadin is casting detect invisibility, and that he just cast rock to mud a moment before to turn the wall to mud.
His spell completed the genie smiles in a matter that is most evil looking. "You tried to deceive me old man. But I see you are still here." he laughs an evil laugh that worries most of you within earshot. "I've another answer to your riddle. Is the answer time?" the disembodied voice of Mahara replies "I am sorry that is not the answer." the dao punches the cave wall and leaves a imprint of his fist. "I thought I finally had the answer curse the fates and this infernal land!" the genie then turns to a could of gas and floats off towards the 3rd cave. A gaseous cloud is seen entering the 3rd cave and begins floating around.

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Storm11 »

Jamal encourages Mahara to leave the cave, still invisible. Quickly flinging the blindness spell half cast he whispered to Alara urgently.

An Improved Phantasmal Force spell my lovely. As soon as you can. unusually the wind gen nods and disappears without a snide remark.

Perhaps if I can maintain an illusion of the mystic within the cave the invisible Mahara can get safely out of here, whilst we think of a way to disable the creature. he says to the others as quietly as he can.

[1d100] = 35 : [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7 : [1d6+2] = 2+2 = 4 : [1d6+3] = 1+3 = 4 : [1d6+4] = 1+4 = 5

Alara is back within a very short time with the spell, and Jamal begins to conjure the illusion of Mahara within the cave successfully [1d100] = 78
Greys Campaign.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#299 Post by Cwreando »

Abrex

So the Wall is now mud and the Dao left to go to the other cave? Muhara could go through the mud??

Abrex is hiding but didn't specify a location.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dubb

From his hiding place Dubb hears Ynadin call out. A few moments later a cloud enters the cave where he is hiding. Dubb decides that it would be better to reveal himself than be found cowering. He steps out from hiding and addresses the Gen.

"Ah! Thank the gods you have returned! Those beasts went crazy! They turned on each other after they found something in the cave. A scroll of some sort. They each wanted it for themselves. My friends and I barely survived the carnage. Have you seen any of them around? I fear I may have lost them."

Return to “Archive”