Barrow Mounds: Secret of the Saurons'.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Secret of the Saurons'.

#261 Post by Stirling »

The bloodshed has also succeeded in awakening a new threat as a cadre of deceased skeletal legionnaires and a mailed death knight emerge crawling from their graves

there is one knight and a dozen or so undead warriors.
Vann Hector

So going by the above information we are probably outnumbered two to one. Skeletons are easily killed though if truly walking bones, blades are not as effective as trusty maces. (This is where he regrets leaving one such noble bludgeoning +1 flail in his tavern locker).

So we need to thin them out but target effectively. Give me a chance to sneak up behind the knight, I will send him to kingdom come.

I suggest this: barracade ourselves in and hope only this group try to force their way in. We have food and water in the store room and could last a siege out many days.

Figuring the seal will not hold more than an hour if we can edge the protection spell right up against it, (will that help?), use the time to reinforce the area.

Can we topple those statues in the alcoves on the stairs to pile up as a barricade to shelter behind. Loads of spears in the armoury and wooden shields, enough for one each adding a bonus.

Can we use those unopened ale casks to spill on the stairs and light them up?

Then fall back to the ritual room for a last stand there, the door is narrow and could bottleneck them.

Sir Dewey, Foxrell, Sun Tsieng, Cosmo can we add to that? Improve it.

as much as I think grabbing the gnome over my shoulder and running with him through the barrow mounds might secure my escape, an 'Alamo' style defense though hopefully not as outnumbered and with a different outcome, looks quite achievable.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight looks proudly at the assembled cast. "I feel honored to stand with you all. Let's get to work."

He agrees with the concept of fortifying and barricading. Possibly setting traps down the path towards the mess hall. We have multiple side rooms we could flank them from, or split attention.
The Sauron guard will be changed in a few hours, I think. If we can keep them at bay until then the math changes.

I'd like to spend a few minutes of our precious time checking some things.
First, I'd like to try to initiate dialog with the commander, if possible.
I'd like to skim that tome to see if there are instructions for the ritual that we could complete.
Lastly, I'd like to confirm that the skeletons we found don't join the fight. Dismembering may be the way to go.

This may be foolish, but how about this? If the protection is enough to prevent them from entering, we attack with ranged weapons now, hopefully thinning them. We can use most of the spears as well.
If everyone is game, we could have everyone but Cosmo and SD work on fortifications while they engage the enemy from within the protection. Offense and then defense. Maybe even a round of ranged from everyone before they arrive.

As I understand the layout, two alcoves line the stairs down to a mess hall. A side room being used as a bunk room is on the way down below the alcoves. At the mess hall there are two archways, one to a storeroom, the other to the ritual room which houses the bronze doors and the shaman's back room.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Spearmint »

The Saurons' Mound interior
The Sauron guard will be changed in a few hours, I think. If we can keep them at bay until then the math changes.
You killed all the Saurons' here. The Sauron guards seem to take a month long duty at a time, the priests probably residents here.
Lastly, I'd like to confirm that the skeletons we found don't join the fight. Dismembering may be the way to go.
The two knights in platemail in the sarcophagi have already been seen to by the Saurons'.
As I understand the layout, two alcoves line the stairs down to a mess hall. A side room being used as a bunk room is on the way down below the alcoves. At the mess hall there are two archways, one to a storeroom, the other to the ritual room which houses the bronze doors and the shaman's back room.
this is correct.

There is not a lot of time before the undead start vesting upon the stone seal, closed just in time before the horde rush in. Armed with just rusted swords and spears the skeletons are held at bay for as long as the Protection from Undead holds. Eventually the Black Legionnaires claw, tooth and nail the entrance ajar and in a stream rush hollering and gnashing down the descending steps. Two run into the side room to search for the living to hack down.

At the bottom, several statues have been toppled from alcoves and dragged into position. Stone figures piled one on another to give a temporary barricade across the stairs.

Foxrell stands centre, two Duchy conscripts on his left, one on his right. They brace spears against a charge, hoping to impale the skeletons as they try and leap into the fray.

Sun Tsieng Roy shadows Cosmo, fulfilling an oath to bodyguard the injured illusionist. The monk readies his temple glaive, unsheathing the sharp polearm and wielding it in a high stance ready to Lance any who come close. Sir Dewey and Vann Hector take your places, at the barricade or further back in the mess hall.

The ritual book is hard to decipher, Vann doesn't think it holds any divine help for your situation. Sir Dewey, salutes the crypt Knight, taking his challenge as he motions his cadre forward.

initiative and actions please

conditions and hp:
Sir Dewey 10/10
Vann Hector 4/6
Cosmo 1/4
Sun Tsieng 15/15
Foxrell 9/18
G1 8/8
G2 2/8
G3 1/8
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

For all the good planning and strategy, it can go down the drain with rolls like this:

Vann Hector: triggers hand-held crossbows (dual-wield penalty) [1d20-1]=3-1=2 [2d4]=4 [1d20-3]=6-3=3 [2d4]=4

He looses a couple of bolts and then ducks back behind the bear and reloads (moreso to hide his shame at missing so bad).
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#265 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

initiative 1 to 6 dice roll [1d6]=6

and raises his magical pick axe ready for (his last?) battle.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight calls over the din of battle. "Begone! This Tomb is under my protection as a Knight of Ygg! Leave now and we will not pursue."

Sir Dewey stands at the barricade hoping to pinch the horde and reduce assailants. He strikes any that dare climb the statues, and tries to knock them back with his shield.

Initiative: [1d6]=6
Morningstar: [1d20]=16
Morningstar Damage: [2d4+1]=7+1=8

Shield Bash: [1d20]=1

And so it begins...
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"Hoorah!" shouts. He remembers the timely intervention of the paladin to save his from the ghoul of Greygoose in the chapel vestry cellar. Hopes for the same effect here since he cannot hit a cow's arse with a banjo himself.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Spearmint »

The Sauron Mound interior:

And so it begins. An inauspicious start. Rallying his troops, the undead lieutenant pushes open the entrance portal, striding in and gesturing his skeletal warriors down the steps. They charge, gnashing, hollering, screaming to leap at the defenders. One is impaled by a guard, his bones shattered never to rise again but others press forward almost overwhelming the men. Rusty blades run crimson as wounds are inflicted before a crushing mace sends another to eternal rest.

One skeleton breaches the line of men, headed towards a saffron robes figure standing on a sarcophagus to gain some height advantage. Cosmo shelters behind pick in hand and mind thumbing his pages of arcane memory for any spells that might turn the tide in the group's favour.

It is brutal, bloody and up close and personal.

conditions and hp:
Sir Dewey 10/10
Vann Hector 4/6
Cosmo 1/4
Sun Tsieng 13/15
Foxrell 3/18
G1 8/8
G2 2/8
G3 1/8

next actions please.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Spearmint »

The Saurons' Mound interior:

Resolution of the second round of actions is this: one skeleton injured by the NPC's, no character injuries. Twelve rolled attacks, only one hit.
So can each player provide me two rounds of attacks please, one I will use this round and the second the next round.

Sun Tsieng Roy. Glaive melee [1d20]=1 [1d10]=8Foxrell: melee (d-w) Sabre [1d20+1]=10+1=11 [1d8+2]=2+2=4 Dagger [1d20-2]=11-2=9 [1d3]=3Guards broadswords [1d20]=10[2d4]=6 [1d20]=9[2d4]=5 [1d20]=14[2d4]=4Skeletons attack: vs G1, G2, G3 [1d20]=12 [1d6]=3 [1d20]=2 [1d6]=1 [1d20]=9 [1d6]=2 Skeletons attack: vs SD, Fox, Sun, [1d20]=12 [1d6]=4 [1d20]=7 [1d6]=2 [1d20]=9 [1d6]=2
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Rather than taking a penalty for dual wielding I will aim one hand held crossbow at a time and aim for the undead boss. If I can taunt him I will.

"Hey Tin Man, you bag o' bones. Catch this."

Vann Hector triggers HH-xbow [1d20+1]=5+1=6 [2d4]=4

a miss first attack

Vann Hector triggers HH-xbow [1d20+1]=16+1=17 [2d4]=7

a hit if within short to medium distance.

Thinking undead are impervious to illusion, they might still be vulnerable to light or darkness spells and take a penalty to hit us if blinded. So I shout at Cosmo,

"Blind the boss, light him up!"
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#271 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

is quick to follow Vann's suggestion. Squeaking "Fiat lux!" he zaps off another of his popular Colour sprays.

if he still has one, that is. Not quite sure at the moment which spells are considered spent and which ones have been fortuitously skill check-retained. If the spray isn't available, it would be a Light spell instead, directed at the eye sockets of the main adversary.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Spearmint »

Cosmo, I will action a Light spell as the Colour Spray was not retained in your memory.

Could you give a 2nd action, another spell or attack roll please.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He continues his assault, trying to prevent another breach in the line. "Stand firm! Ygg will see us through!"

1st: Morningstar: [1d20]=18
Morningstar Damage: [2d4+1]=4+1=5
Shield Bash: [1d20]=7

2nd: Morningstar: [1d20]=18
Morningstar Damage: [2d4+1]=7+1=8
Shield Bash: [1d20]=5

Apparently there is no room to use his shield as a weapon. :D
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Spearmint »

Cosmo
you cast your Colour Spray at the lizardmen and this was the memory retain test:
Cosmo

makes another requested Spell level 1 skill check vs (16) intelligence [4d6+1]=16+1=17 and then a dash for the blinded lizard men, charging with pickaxe in hand, to help Sun and the others kill 'em off:
which you failed at so that spell was erased from your memory after casting unlike Phantasmal Force which you succeeded in retaining.

So I am going to go forward with you casting a Light spell.

The Saurons' Mound interior:

There is a flurry of activity. The defensive wall holds, the guards releasing spears to grab broadsword and shield. Sir Dewey sends another crashing blow that numbs a walking skull to senselessness. The front rank of skeletons thin but another bag of bones leaps to take its place.

Vann Hector targets the undead knight. It hears your heckle and does indeed catch the crossbow bolt, slicing it in two during its flight, to fall in halves at his feet.

Cosmo ignites a brilliant radiance, casting a sphere of dazzling light.

Crypt Knight save vs spells [1d20]=15 vs 14

It erupts as the dawning sun in a flash behind the horde, highlighting the entrance area.

The next round is equally dramatic. Sir Dewey takes his first wound, -4hp as a rusty blade chops his shoulder. He ripostes by sending a second skeleton to smithereens upon the steps.

Guard Two trades blows with his opponent, slaying him before a decapitating blow slices his own head off. Guard Three is not so dextrous. He takes a wicked hack and bleeds out, his blood spurting from an artery to seriously opened to staunch.

Foxrell takes revenge for the militiamen sending another skeleton to his doom.

Vann Hector triggers a second aimed shot. It sails over the heads of the those in the melee to pierce through the mail of the crypt Knight. He shudders as black blood runs freely over the White Rose emblazoned upon his breastplate. He signals two skeletons, the pair that ran into the side room to charge over the barricade and hunt the elf archer down

While Sun Tsieng Roy keeps a skeleton at bay, Cosmo attacks with his enchanted weapon but misses to 'pick a bone' with the undead warrior.
conditions and hp:
Sir Dewey 6/10
Vann Hector 4/6
Cosmo 1/4
Sun Tsieng 13/15
Foxrell 3/18
G1 8/8
G2 2/8
G3 deceased

Crypt Knight -7hp
Skeletons 5/13 deceased.

next attacks and actions please.

Cosmo roll a [4d6+1] vs intelligence to see if you retain the light spell as well please.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Takes the challenge of the two skeletons,

Vann Hector's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+1]=9+1=10 [1d8]=1

but not very well.
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#276 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo
which you failed at so that spell was erased from your memory after casting unlike Phantasmal Force which you succeeded in retaining.
OK, thanks for the recap, that is correct of course

however:
Cosmo melee enchanted pick [1d20+1]=10+1=11 [1d4+2]=1+2=3
now I see examples of both DM rolling Cosmo's attack, and meself. Was it because I wasn't quick enough ? :D
Cosmo roll a [4d6+1] vs intelligence to see if you retain the light spell as well please.
OK thanks, here goes:Spell level 1 skill check vs (16) intelligence [4d6+1]=18+1=19
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Spearmint »

you can roll an attack for this round or cast a spell or other action
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#278 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

Changes tack and tries to cause some missile-related fractures instead. Dagger, thrown: to hit [1d20]=13, Damage S/M [1d4]=2 L [1d3]=2
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Spearmint »

thanks Cosmo. ;)

The rate of fire of thrown daggers per round is two, so you can actually throw another one.
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#280 Post by Nordbo »

Return to “Completed Expeditions”