Chapter 1: Welcome to Stonespear Province

Pulpatoon
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Welcome to Stonespear Province

#241 Post by Zhym »

"Just full of fun and surprises, this place," grumbles Bubba.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#242 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galot "Oh yes a veritable barrel of laughs this place is." the performer adds sarcastically.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Pulpatoon »

Operation: Unfathomable! Day Two, afternoon
After the shocking encounter with disappearing beetles, the party continues north.
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 9.56.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 9.56.56 PM.png (79.36 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Ahead are the party of grey humanoids that processed past your shelter in the middle of the night. They are gathered around an open pit in the cavern floor. With ritual solemnity, they are tossing objects into the pit: small fungal blossoms, tiny vials of jewel-toned liquid, and shining gold coins.
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 10.11.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 10.11.33 PM.png (45.8 KiB) Viewed 934 times
They are aware of your presence instantly, and spread out to give you access to the pit, sweeping their arms in slow arcs, beckoning you to approach the precipice.

Dice: ACTIONS?!
Next action-post: Friday evening, EST!
Nate
Scout
Scout

#244 Post by Nate »

Gurzubar approaches the pit and tosses in a gold coin and a cigarette.
Gurzubar | Level 2
Str: 15 | Dex: 12 | Con: 14 | Int: 11 | Wis: 11 | Cha: 11
HP: 14 | Armor: 14 | Long Sword: d8
Character Sheet
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#245 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Anurak

Attempting to behave appropriately for the apparently solemn occasion, Anurak bows to the beckoning humanoids and respectfully approaches the pit with Gurzubar. He bows even lower as he approaches, reaches into his bag of herbs and spices, and with a slight flourish deftly sprinkles some into the pit. "May whatever powers you believe in proffer customary blessings appropriate to your faith," he intones ceremoniously, endeavouring to be as generic as possible. He glances upward momentarily, trying to gauge whether the gathering's reaction to his offering is positive or negative, then shuffles back a respectful distance, keeping his head bowed.
Nate
Scout
Scout

#246 Post by Nate »

Gurzubar tries to peer down the hole to see what's down there. He looks up to the strangers and says "How's it going, I'm Gurzubar. Why are we throwing stuff down this hole?"
Gurzubar | Level 2
Character Sheet
GreyWolfVT

#247 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galot shrugs and walks to the pit and tosses in a coin as well. "Might as well join em." his only reply.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
mjulius
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#248 Post by mjulius »

Psst...does anyone have a coin?
Wither Whither
Citizen Lich, Level 2; Hit Points: 5
STR +2/12 DEX +3/13 CON +1/11 INT +6/16 WIS +2/12 CHA +3/13
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Pulpatoon »

The gathered crowd of humanoids nod and murmur appreciatively as the party joins them at the pit's edge and throw offerings in. A woman with a stern beauty, dressed in elaborate martial garb, steps forward and answers Gurzubar's question.

"I ham Yoothandra of Castle Zito. You hare from Habove—The hexposed world? Hit is meet and propitious for my wedding party, that you would make hofferings to the pit. Thenk you. If you do not halready, know that there are meny such pits in the World. The Hold Hwones marked them, lest you miss them." She points to some signs with foreign runes that had been previous obscured by the milling crowd. "They hare the pores of the Hunderworld, deep without end, hand a source of capricious Chaos. The wise keep the Chaos hat bay with small offerings—the coin, the food, the splash of spirits. Fools and the impecunious huse them has middens."

An older woman bustles up. "We traffel to the Falley of the Black Oozes. Haff you been? There, among the scenic wonders, to marry Yoothandra and Fuloso. It shall be fery beautiful, if a little unconfentional."

A tall, strong, male warrior with a crisp-lined face, presumably Fuloso, steps forward. "Vee should not linger mush longer among these stranchers." He gives the party a disdainful look.

ACTIONS!
Next update: Wednesday evening, EST!
Nate
Scout
Scout

#250 Post by Nate »

Gurzubar, trying to sound as highbrow as possible: "Felicitations on thine glorious espousification!"
He pulls his hourglass (his fanciest possession) from his pack and offers it to Yoothandra: "Here is a wedding gift from the surface world"
Gurzubar | Level 2
Character Sheet
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#251 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Anurak

Immediately charmed by the humanity and friendliness of these people in contrast to the recent horror and chaos, Anurak eagerly engages with them.

"Oh I do so love a wedding!" he chirps brightly. A lump in his throat at the thought of something so mundane. "I could tell you many wondrous tales of the sumptuous wedding banquets I prepared in my capacity as chef to the royal family. Happy days, happy days. But, listen to me prattling on. Where are my manners? I am honoured and delighted to make your acquaintance fair and brave lady Yoothandra of Castle Zito," he bows low. "My name is Anurak Punyaa Poonsong Orm and I am at your service. I would be greatly honoured if you would allow we humble strangers to accompany you on your travels through these caverns. I would very much like to see the scenic wonders of which you speak and of course be present for and pay my respects at such a momentous occasion as your wedding. If you have a taste for the unconventional, then with some good fortune I might even be able to rustle up some exotic morsels for the wedding feast. I have quite a reputation in the Above World. Would that be an agreeable accommodation? Please say that it is."

He waits with eager anticipation and something very like puppy dog eyes. To say 'no' to such hopeful pleading would be a betrayal akin to looking into the big eyes of a sweet fluffy kitten and holding it under the water until it drowned.
GreyWolfVT

#252 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Galot bows to the humanoid talking to Gurzubar with a fancy bow "Please to meet you, you can call me Galot if you'd like." and he smiles kindly. Then steps back to the side out of the way for others wishing to talk or donate to the pit.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Pulpatoon »

Nate wrote:Gurzubar, trying to sound as highbrow as possible: "Felicitations on thine glorious espousification!"
He pulls his hourglass (his fanciest possession) from his pack and offers it to Yoothandra: "Here is a wedding gift from the surface world"
Yoothrandra is delighted by Gurzubar's gift: "Hah! Hit his lovfley. What happens when you smash the glass and release the granules? Do they bear great power? His hit han helemnetal hof some variety?" When the function of an hour-glass is explained to her, she smiles with appreciation. "Hexceptionally clever, Thank you." She passes the gift to the old woman, who carries it away to be kept with the other wedding gifts.
Captain Kinkajou wrote:Anurak: "I would very much like to see the scenic wonders of which you speak and of course be present for and pay my respects at such a momentous occasion as your wedding. If you have a taste for the unconventional, then with some good fortune I might even be able to rustle up some exotic morsels for the wedding feast. I have quite a reputation in the Above World. Would that be an agreeable accommodation? Please say that it is."
Yoothrandra: "The people hof the Hexposed World are generous, hindeed! First, the gift hof time, hand now hof service!"

Oothu angrily pulls at Anurak's arm and hisses, "Have you forgotten your oath? We are not here for... exotic morsels!"

Yoothrandra: "We hare traveling far, hand have many stops to make hon the way. Perhaps hyew would join hus for has long has hour paths coincide? Hi should be delighted of your company, however long Hi might have hit."

Fuloso seems much less pleased with the notion of the party joining their procession. He sulks gloomily, glaring at Krodok, who, at the moment, is peering dangerously far into the Bottomless Pit.

Yoothranrda: "Hah! But you hare wounded! Hand freshly so! Please hallow my people to tend to hyew!"

Three androgynous, young humanoids attend to Gurzubar's bloody stump. They peel off the rough bandaging, make tsk'ing noises over the stitching of the skin flap, and scrap off the dry remains of the party's healing salve. They then set about grinding herbs and fungi into several different pastes, which they apply in concentric circles, radiating from the tip of the stub. This is supplemented with a hot and astringent tea which they insist Gurzubar drink, although it stings his eyes and makes his nose run.

Drinks are brought to the rest of the party in small stone cups. The liquid in spicy and sour, but leaves you feeling refreshed.

A short, wizened humanoid introduces himself to Anurak. "I yam Scrupuulthiat, Mistress Yoothranrda's puh-sonal chef. Tell me of your people's cuisine, and I shall tell you of ours."

With Gurzubar freshly bandaged (and, honestly, not feeling either better or worse for the humanoids' ministrations), the entire procession begins to move north. The pace is slow and solemn, with the humanoid's regularly stopping to pray, or sing, or preform various small rites. Various members mingle and chat with you, talking almost exclusively about the wonders of the Valley of Black Puddings, but in such vague, abstract terms that you don't learn anything useful.

Some distance up the passage, Fuloso points to a series of holes in the wall and floor of the west wall of the passage. "Peel bug nesting sites. Do not wander near. The adults vill defend them quite ah-ggresively."

A little further on, the party stops again. "What his this?!" asks Yoouthrandra.

The caverns floors, walls, and ceiling are marred by distinct scorch marks, and the air smells of burnt rubber and strong, runny cheese. A large black puddle of something lies ahead, 20' in diameter, with tinier puddles scattered around it.

Fuloso: "I haff neffer seen the like!"

ACTIONS?
Next update: Friday evening, EST!
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Pulpatoon »

The adventuring party shows no interest in investigating the black puddles, and the wedding procession simply skirts around the edges of it.

Soon, you come to an area where there is a small passage leading east, and a large opening off the the west.
Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 9.18.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 9.18.15 PM.png (230.57 KiB) Viewed 881 times
The large opening reveals a cave filled with wild growth. The fungal garden is an astonishing assault on the senses, thick with an amazing array of molds, lichens, and fungi of every size and description and arranged according to the alien aesthetics and experimental purposes of the science fungoids.

Here a pair of jolly toadstool-shaped science fungoids, one carrying a clipboard loaded with papers and a peculiar stylus, are having an animated discussion with a large demonic-looking mantis creature. They pause briefly in their conversation to notice the passing wedding procession, but when the spot your party among them, the science fungoids excitedly wave you over to join them. One of them fishes out a communications spore-puff, such as you were exposed to at your last encounter with these creatures.

ACTIONS?
Next update: Monday Evening, EST!
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#255 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Anurak

Charmed by the friendliness of Yoothrandra and her party, Anurak ignores Oothu's vigorous tugging on his arm and enthusiastically continues to exchange pleasantries.

"Surely we are best served by travelling with these good people while we explore down here?" he maintains, and will not be convinced otherwise.

Some of Anurak's natural joviality returns and he is overjoyed to meet Scrupuulthiat and exchange notes on the two cultures' cuisines. He enquires interestedly about the contents of the spicy, sour tea they drink and happily passes on culinary customs and recipes from the Above World.

When the procession reaches the fungal cavern and the science fungoids, Anurak is careful to observe the reactions of Yoothrandra and her party and follow their lead. Do they seem friendly to the science fungoids? Antagonistic? Indifferent?

Now that his eyes have been opened to a different (less threatening) side of the Underworld, he is more willing to approach the science fungoids and converse with them but only if he feels that it would not risk causing offence to his new-found friends.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Pulpatoon »

Captain Kinkajou wrote:Anurak is careful to observe the reactions of Yoothrandra and her party and follow their lead. Do they seem friendly to the science fungoids? Antagonistic? Indifferent?
The wedding procession cheerfully acknowledges the fungoids as they pass, but do not approach. In fact, they are steering towards the small passage leading to the east.

Scrupuulthiat says with conspiratorial joviality to Anurak, "Those leetle fell-ohs seem very intah-rested in meeting you. They are odd, don't you find?"
Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#257 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Pulpatoon wrote:Scrupuulthiat says with conspiratorial joviality to Anurak, "Those leetle fell-ohs seem very intah-rested in meeting you. They are odd, don't you find?"
"Indeed, they are most curious," Anurak agrees, happily returning Scrupuulthiat's conspiratorial whisper. "Maybe I should go and see what they want. They're not dangerous or anything are they? I mean, your peoples both seem 'friendly'. I assume you are on good terms with them? Do you trade with them?"
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Pulpatoon »

Scrupuulthiat: "They are friendly and dangerous, both. They can produce miracles with their sci-yunce, but also calamities." Pointing to the east, he adds, "We are ta-king a side trip to visit the shadow of Zaracanth. If you wish to tarry here, we will return this way, pre-sunt-ly."
Nate
Scout
Scout

#259 Post by Nate »

Pulpatoon wrote:Scrupuulthiat: "They are friendly and dangerous, both. They can produce miracles with their sci-yunce, but also calamities." Pointing to the east, he adds, "We are ta-king a side trip to visit the shadow of Zaracanth. If you wish to tarry here, we will return this way, pre-sunt-ly."
Gurzubar: Did you say miracles?
Gurzubar looks at the stump where his arm used to be.
Gurzubar to Anurak: I'm going to talk to them
Gurzabar walks towards the fungoids.
Gurzubar | Level 2
Character Sheet
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Zhym »

Bubba just watches and waits. He didn't know what he expected to find down here, but he's pretty sure this wasn't it.

Return to “Operation Unfathomable (Knave)”