Crooked Yew and crocked bees.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Crooked Yew and crocked bees.

#221 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus wrestles a cigar from his tobacco pouch with trembling fingers, the andrenaline from the combat still surging in his veins. Whilst lighting the cigar, he indicates the prone ranger. "Bind him. They should awaken in a few minutes, but he is still under the harpy's enchanment." He takes a long drag and looks back towards the grove. "I will fetch the gnolemes. They may be able to counter the harpy's natural magic. The others are likely still stumbling away to the harpy's nest. If we hurry, we may yet be able to save them." He then hastens back to gather the gnolemes.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Spearmint »

Barba binds the ranger Dougal while he is still passive, giving him another kick behind Moriartus back. Were it not for the elixir from Clive she would be left rotting in the creek as much as the diseased Treant.

Black and blue with an egg sized limp on her forehead and bloody streaks like mascara on a rainy day staining her face, Two-Birds wakes.

She has one available healing spell for the day before she needs to complete her devotions and receive a new allocation in the morning.

The gnolemes, Ash, Birch & Conker waddle over, woken out of their stasis by the mage. They look on with interest but have no ability to either counter the harpy charm effect or to restore healing.

One spits on the ground, "We can beat the $#√£ out of him or her if you need." (the golems arms act as Shillelagh effects in melee).

actions and discussions. I will hand Dougal back to Karaunios to continue rp

thanks guys, it was a fun encounter.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Dammit. Ye won't toch her ye basterds! She's main tae protect! Leeve me free!" The ranger fights against his bounds, but all for naught. The rage can be seen in his face despite having been knocked down a couple seconds ago.

I'm gonna let you roll for Dougal when in combat from now on :lol:

I now have two characters in love with another by means of magic on these boards. And that in a mere 18 hours.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Relax, Mr. Dougal. I completely agree. That's why we had to stop you. Remember the tree? I am concerned we are now carriers of the disease and you could have infected her. We checked you while you were unconscious and I believe you are safe. The Bennerjake twins and Friar John may be infectious, though. We need to separate them from her until we are sure. Can you help us find them before it's too late?"
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Moriartus' words seem to have an effect on the scout as he starts relaxing. His facial expression showing still a hint of distrust but visibly more calm. "A'rate, a'rate. I'll help ye with that. But no tricks."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Spearmint »

Are you leaving to follow tracks immediately? Do you do anything about the treant?
Do you take the gnolemes knowing they move at half speed?

It is approx 10.45pm.

What do you use as a light source?

Dougal give me a [1d100] please.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"We must burn the treant's remains before we leave. Quickly gather any loose kindling and set it ablaze. We will leave immediately after. The fire will be a beacon to any predators nearby."

"Mr. Dougal, please take point with a torch. Miss Two-Birds, Barba, the gnolemes and I will follow just outside torch range ... we don't have a special connection with the harpy that you enjoy. Speaking of which, are you able to understand her? Communicate with her?"

"Remember, Mr. Dougal, the Twins and Friar John are unaware they may be carrying the virus. We must convince them, by force if necessary, until we can examine them for infection. It is the only way to ensure the harpy is safe.""
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Before the group decamps, Moriartus declares a last minute change of plans. "Mr. Dougal. In my haste, I neglected a crucial variable. If the harpy is infected, we will have no ability to cure the disease. We should therefore make haste to the Crooked Yew with the samples we collected. The druids may be able to develop a treatment we can provide to her. I suggest we track the others west to get a general direction of the harpy's nest, then head due north to the Hives."
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"The harpy cud be in dange-? Fain. We'll dae as ye see then. I hoop we faind a cuir for her, sir, whethir those three, unworthy as they are, got tae her or not." Dougal will grudgingly take care of the diseased treant, burning it with a lit torch after gathering as much branches and wood he can.

"What dae we dae wi'our wee frends heer? They are rather sloo and mibbe won't dae it on taim." He looks at the gnolemes, now more willing to save the harpy than any treants, bees or plants.

Didn't we have a cart or something? :lol:

Is Dougal able to communicate with the harpy?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor Requiem.

no carts or barrows. The harpy must have communicated with you Dougal in some way for you to understand and obey her suggestion. So perhaps a common hybrid or patois vocabulary.

Plans are made and adjusted. Counsel sought and directions made. Moriartus can breathe some sigh of relief as Dougal, despite his skill and best endeavours, cannot trace the trail of Friar John and Ben & Jake. The harpy would be airborne of course. It means even if you wished to find the nest she harbours in, unless it was very local, that is not going to happen. Especially as the hours draw close to midnight.

The diseased Treant is burned with as much ceremony as Two-Birds can muster. The gnolemes bow their heads, each casting a wreath of flowers onto the bonfire. The withered trunk and fungi blossoms spark hot embers but soon the immolation takes place and you can satisfied at least this potential root of the Bee virus has been dealt with. You were not able to confirm if the bees suckle nectar from the treant though it certainly stands to reason matching to the gnolemes testimony.

Deciding then to make a tactical withdrawal to Crooked Yew the trek takes twice as long as before. The pace may work in your favour as the Moor is a predatory environment and so treading carefully means more watchfulness. You have trolls and bugbears to avoid among the lurking dangers.
Dougal uses Ranger tracking skills vs 69% [1d100]=78 Dougal's base Tracking skill is 90% outdoors modified by +4% for three people on foot and -25% for the mist, precipitation and environmental conditions.

Unfortunately, the tracks fade after a hundred yards and you are not able to determine an accurate direction after that.
Trek to Crooked Yew:

The trek meanders roughly north west, cover the six or so miles to the Moor fringe in four hours. After a brief stop, the trail through the forest is located and you can march a bit quicker and with no mist and the dawn rays promising to come soon, perhaps safer too.

You do have one encounter in the Moors, disturbing some large horned critters with indignant angry faces. However for the most part, water buffaloes are not dangerous unless provoked. They have calves around and a couple of bulls stamp ground and paw menacingly but with the yards between you, the party can out flank the surprised animals.

It is the morning of Mayday the 1st. The Herne Spring Festival though tired, discouraged, bruised and battered and for Dougal, separated from his emotional connection to the harpy as his divorce from reality still holds sway. You have little to celebrate but thankful you are alive.
Crooked Yew return [1d6]=5 [1d6]=1 [1d6]=4 [1d6]=6 [1d6]=2

1 = encounter, randomly assigned. Buffaloes."
So, I can end this first part of this expedition here. Total up some experience awards and with what meagre plunder you have, determine shares. You can then plot next moves as you roleplay with the settlement and presumably with Clive regarding the Treant/Bee virus and harpy issue.

Post any final actions and comments and if you are fine with that I will do a summary epilogue.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Spearmint »

Ok so while folk round up actions and discussions I have made a brief look back on the expedition to calculate the experience awards and make a note of your treasure trove.

Let me know if I have missed anything out.

Experience Awards:

Encounters and Creatures.

Owlwolves x3, alpha wolf x1 925xp
Camp Bugbears x9 1499xp
Trolls x2, blinded not killed 350xp
Vultures, driven away and beaten x5. 125xp

Expedition Rewards

Logging Camp. Discover mystery of Exuvia victims. 50xp.
Dodge Bugbear ceremony & Displacer Beast and overhear Kakta speak of Set & Orcus. 50xp
Gather random rumours at Crooked Yew, take sample from diseased Bumblebee. Delivery of Crabtree and new Hive building. 50xp.
Explore 3 terrain hexes. 300xp.
Repatriate Gnolemes x3. 150xp.
Discover and burn diseased Treant 50xp

Total expedition xp is : 3549/7 (3 characters on full share and Two-Birds at 1/2 share) = 507xp per share.

Character roleplay, teamwork and ideas. 100xp additional per player character.

Barba: 1114xp +10% prime requisite bonus.
Moriartus: 1114xp +10% prime requisite bonus.
Dougal: 1114xp sorry, no ranger bonus.

Random I awarded earlier in the year bonus XP for my horse winning a race and for my wife's birthday. 201xp, which you should have noted in your sheets already.

Treasure Trove.
Bugbear Marbles (uncut gems) x 64. Appraised at circa 8-10gp each as uncut gemstones. Divided equally among surviving party and hirelings.

Each person gets 16 uncut BB marbles.

By my reckoning: including bonus XP awarded for ooc problem solving and creative ideas.

Two-Birds has 507xp (split between her two classes).
Barba: 1426xp
Moriartus: 1476xp
Dougal: 1315xp.

Please acknowledge and adjust your sheets accordingly and roleplay further actions in the thread. I will carry on with the thread here until a new expedition starts or you return to Helix.

Also as you are in the settlement on a Festival Day, I will open a couple of activities you can take part in to garner some extra xp or item rewards.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

The next morning in the village, Moriartus meets with Two-Birds, Barba and Dougal. He appears as if he has seen a ghost ... or perhaps the ghosts of a past life. It is very obvious from his demeanour he has imbibed a not inconsiderable amount of honey mead. That, and the bottle of the same he holds, plus the telltale aroma of alcohol that literally clings to him like the Moor's mist. "W-well, Mis-mister Clive hash the shamples. W-with-out J-John and the Twins, we are r-rather hobbled. No ... trailsh to be found ... anyway. S-sorry bout your l-lover Mr. Dougal. T-tomorrow we leave wish Mr. Crabtree b-back to Helixses. So ... uh ... s-s-smoke 'em if ya got 'em." He then collapses into a chair and clumsily lights a cigar.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

Dougal has just sipped some mead before going for a stroll, ignoring the celebration around him (he wasn't ever one for parties and mingling with people), and wondering if he should leave after the harpy. But, having lost the trail of those who followed her, he doesn't feel like there's anything he can do. A sensation of helplessness overcomes him and he needs his time before he gets to sleep in one of the huts the villagers kindly have offered them.

He looks at Moriartus as he collapses in the chair after his clumsy speech. "I-I guess I dinna have other choice than tae come with ye tae Helix. There's noo wee I can faind the harpy or the... unworthy uns who followed her."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Spearmint »

Journey back to Helix.

The group demoralised are not in such a festive mood to participate in the Mayday activities beyond drowning sorrows and memories. Dougal might not admit it, but he is probably better off not having found the trail to the harpy nest. At least one failed roll working in his favour.

Clive listens to your reports with some shock and horror. Several concerns are raised, the Bugbears converting to occultic worship, trolls roaming the Moor, your men seduced, the Green Man grove defiled and treants suspected of spreading the infection. The last becomes his major focus but his ability to address the situation is hampered by responsibility at the hives. He suggests pleading to Lord Krothos for aid to investigate the incident. Confident that the knowledge gained will lead to the root cause of the virus being addressed, he rewards each character with a Potion of Healing as thanks. He scripts a letter asking you to deliver it to the Lord at the Manse.

He suggests that the gnolemes, Ash, Birch & Conker can find a home at the settlement and would be invaluable in helping in the hives. They consent themselves feeling it will provide a good and stable vocation for them. (You have been awarded xp for repatriating them).

Crabtree has built the new beehive study cabin. The wagon lighter for the load, he will return to Helix. You join him on the trek which is unopposed. The trail following the moor fringe and edge of the forest ominously quite and desolate. Despite crunching into deep stony ruts, the wagon wheels keep rolling. By midday you approach the settlement, the only other trail users being a party of villagers and mercenaries out to trawl the forest and gather spider silk for the weaving industry.

and so ends this Crooked Yew expedition.

Check with the XP awards above and let me know any adjustments or things overlooked.

Post your character returning to 'the Brazen Strumpet' (May 2nd) and account for 9 days upkeep at the tavern in whatever common, standard or deluxe grade you choose.

Then roleplay any village downtime, study, research, shopping, revisiting the merchants.

Consider your next expedition options.
post any concluding remarks, comments or questions. Update your sheets.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Quonundrum »

Thanks! My only comment is any adventure your character can walk away from was a good one. We had at least three potential TPK encounters, but that last one was definitely a nail biter.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Quonundrum »

Any value to the alpha owlwolf pelt?
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Karaunios »

Agreed! You had exploration and the fun and your character comes back alive. That is already a victory. Thanks!
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Spearmint »

Any value to the alpha owlwolf pelt?
will check and edit. I thought it had been given to the druid.

Will edit.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Karaunios »

What do we do about sharing the treasure? Dougal has 3cp after 9 nights in the common room :lol:
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Spearmint »

Moriartus shows the pelt of the Owlwolf to the druid. Expertly peeled as an 'open skin' suitable for drying and then crafting into a rug or cloak.
So you have the Owlwolf pelt.

In answer to above. Characters in poverty can hire themselves out to the Helix labour exchange and spend downtime doing various mundane tasks in exchange for 10sp per day which covers basic food and lodging at the tavern or other hostelries.

(So breaking rocks to gravel path the road, drystone walling the boundary wall, logging for the Lord's hearth fire, etc)

Or, you have some uncut gems with have a minimal value and could take them to the jeweller's for appraisal and negotiate selling them to fund your upkeep and equipment resources.
Bugbear Marbles (uncut gems) x 64. Appraised at circa 8-10gp each as uncut gemstones. Divided equally among surviving party and hirelings.

Each person gets 16 uncut BB marbles.
The same with the pelt, you use the village thread to visit the farrier and see what business he can do.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”