Re: 2nd Scroll - The Holy Mountain

#201 Post by Marullus »

...I would roll again for a different yoga. :D

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#202 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:27 pm ...I would roll again for a different yoga. :D
Yea, are teachers available for Hatha-yoga, Prana-yoga, or Gnana-yoga?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by jemmus »

The dice have again spoken. Good call, much better results than before. I've posted the teachers in scabard, because it just seems more convenient than linking a shared spreadsheet.
Bajoh no Natstuke
Iwaki no Jizaburo
Mieko.

(I see now that scabard has a silent mode-- no emails when somebody updates. Switched to full ON!)
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#204 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:20 am The dice have again spoken. Good call, much better results than before. I've posted the teachers in scabard, because it just seems more convenient than linking a shared spreadsheet.
Bajoh no Natstuke
Iwaki no Jizaburo
Mieko.

(I see now that scabard has a silent mode-- no emails when somebody updates. Switched to full ON!)
Hmm, I think of what's available, I'd like to do Prana-yoga.

So Level 3 +1, Master +1, Private (99-0/10) +10 + Learning Rate 2 = 14 for 7 silver per week. Is that all correct? So the first week would gain Taisho 14 in Prana-yoga (for BCS 1 - not super useful YET...).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by jemmus »

That looks right, but there's another +1 for studying a skill that's in your own profession. So 15 total. Please take the freely improvable skills rules into account. That's one less of them for Taisho.

Gakusho Bajoh no Natsuki, though of a humble family, is samurai. From his rearing and training as a child of a samurai family, he approaches teaching and his own practice of Prana-Yoga with an emphasis on rigid self-discipline. He interviews the applicant for teaching Taisho, and says. You have had some good achievements so far. To say truly, perhaps the most significant was the strike on the o-bakemono with a bo. He pauses, but his thoughts cannot be read from his stern and impassive-- but somehow pleasant and reassuring-- expression.

I can see that you have gained some skill, wisdom and confidence from your experiences. But with Prana Yoga, you will be a fresh beginner. We are all beginners at everything new we try, desu neh? As you know, Prana Yoga is the way of breath. We will begin by breathing heavily. Please loosen your clothing to prepare for physical exercise. Please do everything that I do. He exhales deeply, and waits for Taisho to do the same. Then rotates his arms forward, then backward, and twists his torso far to the left and to the right. The sound of Taisho's joints popping is audible over the tatami mats of the cold winter quiet of the pristine clean little schoolroom. Natsuki-sensei rotates his head, then leans i :cry: t far to the left and right over his shoulders, Taisho doing the same. And then, 30 fingertip push-ups, 45 sit-ups, 45 more each of two kinds of leg lifts, he and Taisho counting of each aloud. Tough heimin, highway roader, and mountain hiker that he is, Taisho body shudders from the strain at 20 of the first, then 35 of the second. And by the fifth of the third. It's cold winter, no heat at all in the room. But he's hot and dripping sweat. By force of will alone he manages the last leg lift. Natsuki-sensei allows him a second to catch his breath and recover, before rising from the floor and standing bolt upright. Taisho does the same, but more slowly and much less smoothly and gracefully. His body is exhausted. But somehow his mind feels cleared. And somehow, both body and mind feel invigorated.

Taisho-san, as you know Prana Yoga is about breathing. And purifying one's thoughts and oneself. You have inhaled and exhaled much in this hour. Please contemplate on that tonight. Well then, we're done for today. The next lesson begins at the top of the Hour of the Hare (5:00 - 7:00 AM, the earlier part of it) tomorrow. He waits to accept Taisho's bow upon leaving the training area. But stands and mutually respectfully waits, and nods.

Taisho-- Actions? Taisho asks to wait 4 more days in Kofu to train. There are multiple pathways for the travelers to decide on after that.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#206 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:27 am That looks right, but there's another +1 for studying a skill that's in your own profession. So 15 total. Please take the freely improvable skills rules into account. That's one less of them for Taisho.

Gakusho Bajoh no Natsuki, though of a humble family, is samurai. From his rearing and training as a child of a samurai family, he approaches teaching and his own practice of Prana-Yoga with an emphasis on rigid self-discipline. He interviews the applicant for teaching Taisho, and says. You have had some good achievements so far. To say truly, perhaps the most significant was the strike on the o-bakemono with a bo. He pauses, but his thoughts cannot be read from his stern and impassive-- but somehow pleasant and reassuring-- expression.

I can see that you have gained some skill, wisdom and confidence from your experiences. But with Prana Yoga, you will be a fresh beginner. We are all beginners at everything new we try, desu neh? As you know, Prana Yoga is the way of breath. We will begin by breathing heavily. Please loosen your clothing to prepare for physical exercise. Please do everything that I do. He exhales deeply, and waits for Taisho to do the same. Then rotates his arms forward, then backward, and twists his torso far to the left and to the right. The sound of Taisho's joints popping is audible over the tatami mats of the cold winter quiet of the pristine clean little schoolroom. Natsuki-sensei rotates his head, then leans i :cry: t far to the left and right over his shoulders, Taisho doing the same. And then, 30 fingertip push-ups, 45 sit-ups, 45 more each of two kinds of leg lifts, he and Taisho counting of each aloud. Tough heimin, highway roader, and mountain hiker that he is, Taisho body shudders from the strain at 20 of the first, then 35 of the second. And by the fifth of the third. It's cold winter, no heat at all in the room. But he's hot and dripping sweat. By force of will alone he manages the last leg lift. Natsuki-sensei allows him a second to catch his breath and recover, before rising from the floor and standing bolt upright. Taisho does the same, but more slowly and much less smoothly and gracefully. His body is exhausted. But somehow his mind feels cleared. And somehow, both body and mind feel invigorated.

Taisho-san, as you know Prana Yoga is about breathing. And purifying one's thoughts and oneself. You have inhaled and exhaled much in this hour. Please contemplate on that tonight. Well then, we're done for today. The next lesson begins at the top of the Hour of the Hare (5:00 - 7:00 AM, the earlier part of it) tomorrow. He waits to accept Taisho's bow upon leaving the training area. But stands and mutually respectfully waits, and nods.

Taisho-- Actions? Taisho asks to wait 4 more days in Kofu to train. There are multiple pathways for the travelers to decide on after that.
Taisho will respectfully bow to his teacher and will arrive promptly the next day to continue.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by jemmus »

Over the next few days, Natsuke-sensei introduces Taisho to Prana-Yoga and its spells. He does so only by demonstration. On the second day of training, he announces the name of the spell and executes it. He exhales calmly, but with ki force, when doing so. Taisho spends the whole day silently observing. At the end of the day, he has learned worlds about the nature of Prana-Yoga. And its interpretation of the kakuri-yo, and its method or entering and acting in it. That night, Taisho dreamt of gradually moving from dreams and into the kakuri-yo. He had plunged into the water of a sunlit pool, and around him were white bubbles of air rising fast to the surface. He followed them up, and then, he was above the surface, in the sunlight under the sky. Then he was in the world of the kakuriyo, where everything is like a colorful painting on a screen. Except in motion-- like moving through paintings. Taiso saw a big and funny bird hopping from shrub tree branch to branch, chortling with every hop. It looked at him and hopped to a higher branch and sang a song that carried through the light air under the cerulean blues and ripe lemon yellows of the kakuriyo sky.

The third day, Natsuke-sensei again demonstrates the spells. After each, he says to Taisho, Say what the spell does. And tell me what is is called. Taisho correctly identifies what several spells do, but remembers not of their names. The names are a part of the tradition of the school, but they are not important in practice, Natsuke-sensei says. You will have to learn the names as we go along. They are trivial and unimportant to the actual the practice of forming the spell. But there are loose and foolish people who would obtain partial understanding of the teachings, and then set themselves up as teachers themselves. Therefore, before you depart this little school at the end of this short week, you must be disciplined correctly say the name of each spell. That night in his troubled dreams, Taisho sorts through katakana and hiragana lists, laboring to sort and write.

The rest of the days (up until the last one of the week), Natsuke demonstrates a spell, and silently waits while fails at performing it until he succeeds. Then immediately goes onto the next. Congratulations, well done, he says in formal Nipponese. Once, Taisho fails and fails, and fails again. Natsuke-sensei, quietly also kneeling by his side, says, Human nature is to inhale and hold the breath when confronted with danger or worries. That is foolishness. Strength and quick action come from relaxing the body and the mind. He exhales a long, slow breath, and then mentally readies himself for immediate but calm and well-directed action. That night, Taisho roams the kakuriyo and as a young song bird on the ground eating seed. A cat appears, stock still and silently watching, but tip of tail twitching ominously. It's a cat, the ghost of a hanged man, or an oni monster always ready to rend and kill. The bird of Taisho in the kakuriyo simply uses its wings to ride the air the top of a tree.

The last day of training, Natsuke-sensei only says, It has only been one week, Student-san. You are welcome to continue your studies later here at this little school, or with another Prana-Yoga teacher here in this little island of Nippon. He goes to a back room and brings back a rolled paper scroll. This is your certificate, Taisho-san. Present it if apply for training along the way, anywhere on this dramatic little island. Natsuke-sensei of Kofu bows and waits for the student Taisho to say good-bye, slide the screen door shut, and go out into the wide world. On his own.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#208 Post by ffilz »

Taisho bows and thanks Natsuke-sensei

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by jemmus »

Haruto helps his sister-in-law and her children relocate to Kofu. Little Katsuchiyo cries when they have to say good-bye to the housekeeper and groundskeeper. His little older sister Chocho scolds him. Katsu-kun, don't be a nakimushi! Samurai don't cry, even because of pain or sad things! But she blinks and tear run down her cheeks and she rubs a snotty nose the back of her hand. The housekeeper says, Chocho, have you forgotten to carry your handkerchief again? Here, you can use mine. Which makes the little girl cry all the more. In only a few days, the little children have lost a father, the home they were born in, and two that were like a grandfather and an aunt to them.

The family settle into a little house in Kofu. It's certainly a step down from the villa in Fujikawa-cho in terms of both the house and the garden. Haruto's father now has to manage the expenses for two households, of course. But Haruto suspects that his step-mother had some influence on things. It wouldn't please her to see too much money going to Yayoi's upkeep. But, though small, the house is clean and in good repair. Haruto quietly bids the grieving Yayoi good-bye for now. I'll look in on you and the children every day, and in person as often as I can. The childr

That evening, Haruto meets with Taisho, Hiroshi, Buru and Akemi at the inn. He is introduced to Buru. Hiroshi tells him of the Battle of Okitsu and the subsequent events. Akemi is not her usual giving, supportive of others self. She is happy to see Haruto, and pleasant and humbly charming, as always. But she seems preoccupied and a little tired, as if from care and worry. Of what she's been doing over the past few days, she simply says, I have been working for an employer. It may be that she doesn't know Buru well enough yet to reveal her profession to him. Or it may just be that she prudently would never discuss such at thing in an inn at all.

Haruto announces that he's making a pilgrimage to the shrine of Raijin in the Kanto, and invites the others to join him. Akemi says, I would be honored to join you, Haruto-san. But I must stay in Kofu and wait for word of Kentaro. If he is still present [alive], he will return to this inn, or send word. Should he be under duress and need help, then I must be ready to give it, without delay.

At the next table, the usuals-- the four talkative merchants-- are at it, as always. The short, portly merchant says:
I heard this from a copper trader from Shinano. By the way, have you heard the price they want forv copper recently. Unbelievable. You would think they're selling silver. Anyway, an Imagawa samurai has been bragging about how he defeated a big ronin fleeing from the Okitsu battle. Wait, I'll remember the name... Imagawa no Dainori. The ninyo of a village in Suruga. A samurai ninyo boasting about killing a simple ronin mercenary in a duel. How's that for samurai bushi pride and honor?

The handsome merchant with the hook nose sips his sake, leans back, and knowingly replies, It's because the Imagawa misses the Battle of Okitsu. A big victory was won in their own province, and they were slow and not even there! They're shamed, and they have to make a big deal out of every little thing they managed to do after the battle.
It's obvious.

In time, the talk at the table turns to trade talk. The somewhat quieter merchant with the hook nose clears his throat and says, Anyone know who is carrying freight these days? I know it's winter, and no one wants to guarantee timely delivery in snow season. But even those who won't stamp a letter of guarantee won't take jobs. Their caravan guards ran off to Okitsu for the higher Takeda pay and got killed or maimed. I need pickup in Shizuoka and delivery in Yokohama. Don't bother asking what the goods are, I know you you nosy spymasters will find on your own soon enough. I don't have even one bid for hauling. It's so bad that I'm considering buying oxen and forming my own freight company. I may have to invite investors. As you all know, I'm very poor, when I scratch an itch, angry moths fly out of my clothes and scold me like a wife.

There are overly loud guffaws, hitching up of trousers, leaning forwards and pouring of drinks. The merchants then get down to the discussion of haulers and freighters (by land and by sea), costs of goods and services, warranties and guarantees, the reliability of the Takeda court system, the price of draft oxen, cheaper but more distant sources of draft oxen, "not just bandits, but bakemono, tanuki, kappa, tengu," oxen mortality rate along the way and back, etc., etc. The consensus seems to be that the risks of a winter transport highly outweigh the possibility of distant benefits, as highly lucratrive as they might possible be.

Educated Haruto knows his maps. Shizuoka is west of Kofu, in Suruga. Maybe three days away? Kamakura is in the Kanto, and on the way to the Raijin shrine. Escorting a freight team going toward the same destination could be good, for the pay at least. More money in the coffers is good for everyone. More freedom and less worry for everyone in the family. More security and lighter cares for his sister-in-law. And thus, lightening of cares for young kids Chocho and Katsuchiyo.
Merchant-born Taisho knows (somewhat, it's not really his interest) that these merchants are talking about good money. Someone far away in the country is willing to pay well to buy something from their doorstep.
Hiroshi remember Suruga as the province of Okitsu, and crossing through and crossing over the mountains to Kai to escape from it. If he's identified and caught there, it would mean death. While fighting, or capture and by one means or another. But who could identify another participant of Okitsu, except another one?
Buru knows that Shizuoka is the capital of the Imagawa. Who let loose their samurai bushi-- not even their ashigaru and ronin-- on his peaceful border village of Kanbara. He seethes from inside to out, his desire for vengeance against the Imagawa almost overcoming the self-discipline of his hard training. Still, he feels his fists doubling and hardening in hard rage...

Akemi speaks for the first time during the meal. She says in a quiet voice to Hiroshi onlyHiroshi-san... If you will... Was the big ronin killed by Imagawa no Dainori Kentaro? Please say to me true. Hiroshi cannot lie. He can only nod. "Yes, I think so. He was very honorable in his way of becoming not present." He feels sorry for Akemi, who is trying to hide back tears. When she blinks, tears flow down her cheeks. She searches for her handkerchief, but realizes she has forgotten it. I'm sorry, Hiroshi-san. What you have gone through was horrible, I know. I feel sorry, but I'm weak and selfish and now I must run away to my part of the room. She looks back one more time in apology and grief, face puffy and swollen and nose runny. Hiroshi's eyes and face say, "It's all good, Akemi-san. Kentaro died as a bushi, trying to save his friends. He and I made honorable friends along the way. Many died along the way. That is the way of the code of Bushido. Right, Akemi-san?"

IN the morning, Akemi is the first waiting at the table. Although her eyes seem drawn, there is no cup of hot tea before her. I am sorry if I caused any trouble. I am ready to travel along with my friend to the Kanto, Haruto-san. I will do my very best. The ninja seems deceptively relaxed, and also keenly alert.

Nakimushi - "crybug"
Chocho and Katsuchiyo are childhood names. They'll be given formal names when they have coming of age ceremonies at around 14 years old.

The party has many choices to choose from in these unsettled times in Nippon. Many opportunities, most probably fraught with danger, risk, and hardship... All of Nippon awaits the travelers. In any direction or pathway they please.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by jemmus »

(Going to drop a hint here: One of the merchants wants to send a shipment along the route you're traveling. Escorting it could provide some coins. But the characters know that comes with costs. Dealing with thrifty merchants with no care for honor; likely slower rate of road movement; probable heightened attention of highwaymen. The obligation of being a hired guard, rather than free traveler. Still, escorting a shipment during wartime, in the dead of winter, could be fairly lucrative).

Any actions on that, or preparations before setting out to the Raijin shrine in the Kanto? Please remember Haruto's and Taisho's recent night on Fuji-san, and that it's approaching mid-winter. And that Taisho walks very, very slowly. :)

Need actions on those to things, then we'll open Scroll 3-- journey to the Raijin shrine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYjlisHj6EM
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#211 Post by ffilz »

I think escorting the merchants would be workable. What options for sleeping during winter travel are there? My impression was that camping was not much of a thing in medieval Japan. Taisho should be reasonably conversant with these matters coming from a middle merchant family.

On the danger to Hiroshi, how does all of that work out? If entering the wrong region is dangerous, Hiroshi would not want to waste his life nor endanger his companions. Though as a low ronin, once not wearing anything labeling him as on the losing side, he should only be identifiable to someone who he engage with close enough for his face to register, and then it would seem that someone calling him out would be risky to that person also, so would have to be someone with a strong bone to pick. So the greatest risk would be an honor duel. Am I missing anything in my analysis?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by jemmus »

You would be traveling southeast and east through Minamoto lands (blue on the map).
https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 82#p613982
And it doesn't seem likely that anyone would recognize Hiroshi as a participant in the battle. He was fighting in the Takeda ronin unit, away from the Minamoto troops. Hiroshi doesn't see any special risks involved in the trip.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#213 Post by ffilz »

Oh good, then Hiroshi is all in.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Marullus »

Having introduced Yayoi and Noriko, hoping to give his nieces and nephews a new grandmother-figure in the center of Kofu for their new life, Haruto is prepared to face his new road ahead. The winds of home have carried him this far and he knows the storm of Rajiin governs the next path. He writes a letter to his father speaking to the postive conditions in which Yayoi and the children begin and promising his own watchful eye upon them as often as he can provide it, sealing it and posting it to him.

Earning coin on the way is wise, and he trusts Taisho's wisdom in arranging with the merchant caravan. There is safety in being simple guards as well and he takes care to not wear his family kamon openly as they set out on the highways as guardsmen. He can walk unencumbered, and is used to doing so with Haru, his faithful dog, upon trails and highways. He packs his food and supplies in the strongbox upon Riku's rump and prepares for a healthy walk with geta sandals, straw hat, and his staff in hand. For Riku, however, he prepares a saddle and gives the honor of riding to his companion Taisho. The older (relatively) priest is slow on the roads, but Haruto expresses it only as a desire to honor his friend's stature as a priest, while the rest present themselves as his guards.

He does one last thing - he checks the shops at Kofu to find a suitable gift for Rajiin, to present to the Kami at his shrine. Better to bring something from far away and show the value of the journey than to scrounge what his local and familiar to him.

He already has winter clothes, we can restock with 10x days food - do we need blankets and tents? Or is the expectation to make it from inn to inn along the highway? Assuming normal provision, we're ready to go...

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by jemmus »

Although there is a great difference in the caste ranks and their backgrounds, Yayoi appreciates Noriko's company. The older woman is kind to the younger widows, and the children like her. And Noriko enjoys being with other people, and especially being around the young children.

The travelers know that although the Kanto is distant from the capital, it's a settled and civilized place. It is the widest plane in Nippon, and virtually as flat as a floor throughout. Rather than farming only the flat and narrow mountain valley floors, the farmers of the Kanto have miles and flat land that is perfect for growing rice. The region is thus known as "the rice bowl of Nippon."

The travelers also know that the Imperial regular-intervals postal stations system is in place along the Kohshu-Kaido highway. And that the highway ends by joining the Tokaido highway, which runs along Nippon's southern coast. Hirosho and the Minamoto army traveled along this road, west into Suruga. This time the direction will be to the east. While arranging the escorting the shipment deal with the merchant, Taisho has learned that the post stations is in place on the Tokaido, as far as a town known as Edo.

Akemi has purchased a fine map of all Nippon, probably at some expense. (https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 38#p616238) She says in her polite, self-effacing way. I have been presumptuous and taken it upon myself to make some inquiries. She unrolls the map and runs her finger southward along the Koshu Kaido (https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 40#p616240). Then eastward toward Edo. https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 41#p616241 The Raijin-kami shrine is not before arriving at Edo, I have been told. I cannot find anyone in Kofu who knows where it is. But I had to be discrete with whom I questioned. Kofu is a small place, and because of the... results of the battle-- no one wants to be suspect of anything out of the ordinary. And they are wary of anything out of the ordinary. People are not thinking about going on pilgrimages to shrines of-- I am sorry-- what are considered wild, fearsome, trouble-causing kami. But I believe the shrine is east of Edo, and not so far away. Perhaps one or two days walk. If the weather is good.

Buru notes the Akemi speaks like a modest and polite young woman. But when conveying information, she acts with professionalism and precision. The others realize that, for a ninja, information for deciding on plan must be everything. Information about deciding how to go in and deciding how to return. And how to just get out, if it comes to it.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by jemmus »

The merchant says that he needs freight carried to Kamakura. It's a few ri west of Edo. The travelers know that Minamoto no Yoritomo, the general at the battle of Okitsu, has set the village as his base. Then the haulers will go on to Edo and carry goods from there back to Edo. The contract is for the round trip: Kofu to Kamakura, Edo to Kofu. Four sp per yojimbo guard per day.

Need a Commerce BCS roll for Taisho, then we can proceed. If successful, the merchant will hire all of the party. If not, then only bushi, budoka and ninja, per the Yojimbo rules on page 40 of Book 2. Also if successful, the pay is negotiated to 5.5 sp per day.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#217 Post by ffilz »

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by jemmus »

OK, Hiroshi, Buru and Akemi will get 4 sp per day. If the goods are delivered to Kamakura within 7 days, each will get a 5 sp bonus.

The rule about not wearing armor above AC 3 still applies in Kai. Akemi has heard that the rule is only enforced in the Kanto in the area around Kamakura and Edo.

A Nipponese expecting travel in snow, the characters would normally wear kasa conical straw hats and mino straw raincoats. If you want those the cost is 7 cp.

The new thread is here: https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 95#p616495
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#219 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:15 pm OK, Hiroshi, Buru and Akemi will get 4 sp per day. If the goods are delivered to Kamakura within 7 days, each will get a 5 sp bonus.

The rule about not wearing armor above AC 3 still applies in Kai. Akemi has heard that the rule is only enforced in the Kanto in the area around Kamakura and Edo.

A Nipponese expecting travel in snow, the characters would normally wear kasa conical straw hats and mino straw raincoats. If you want those the cost is 7 cp.

The new thread is here: https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 95#p616495
Could you look over Hiroshi's equipment list and remind me of what he lost in the battle? He will re-purchase.

Taisho already had straw hat and raincoat. Hiroshi will have to re-purchase those and food for sure. I've marked in red the items I'm sure he's lost.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by jemmus »

Sorry, I kept forgetting to reply to this post. Hiroshi lost On and carried his coins with him to the battle. He still has them, except for 15 sp for inns traveling from Chiyoda village to Kofu. I suppose he left his other stuff at the inn. He would have shot some arrows at the battle, but the rules down mention arrows depletion in Battles. So N/A.
PCs

Return to “Honor or Death (FGU Bushido)”