Expedition planning and discussions

Spearmint
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition planning and discussions

#201 Post by Quonundrum »

OSRIC is probably the closest OGL clone of 1E.

The PDF is a free download.

https://osricrpg.com/get.php
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

No worries. Spearmint sent me a link.

1e is crazy! There's no table for DEX for adjustments to modify ranged weapons under the DEX listing. It's mentioned in the narrative but not the table. (Or am I missing something?)

There are a couple of other things I think of always inferred.

And most of the book is really spells! I've never noticed that before.

And the way they give a chance of something occurring is not consistent. At one point they say there is a 16 1/6 chance of something occurring, then explain its a roll of 1 on a d6. Why not just say 1 in 6? It's blowing my mind! :lol:
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Rex »

Gyaxism is its own writing style for sure.
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#204 Post by redwarrior »

Huh. Never really looked at OSRIC before. Downloaded the PDF, but never got around to it. Layout's different seems to be the biggest thing. It seems that Bard and Monk are missing. I like the OSRIC alignment discussion. It looks like they stayed pure to the 1e core for spells (I personally like a lot of the spells in unearthed arcana, but I can understand not wanting to open the UA box), clearly explained. I don't like that they're listed alphabetically ignoring level, but that's a pretty minor quibble.
Edit: Oh, and psionics are missing from the core, though I see that there are add-ons for that and for monk.

I'm fond of the 1e books, horrible editing and all, but that's just because I was there when the deep magic was written. Looking at it, I would recommend OSRIC for someone looking to learn. The editing and layout is objectively better.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by sastaz »

And, embarrassed to ask, but what do you mean by "1e"? The white box?
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#206 Post by redwarrior »

1e for me means AD&D core (the player's handbook, dungeon master's guide, and monster manual). I refer to the others as either white box (which I never played), B/X (basic/expert), of BECMI (the "full meal deal" of the softcovers).
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Rex »

I agree with redwarrior but add Holmes Basic, which fell timeline wise between OD&D (white box) and Advanced D&D (1e). Then came B/X, BECMI and 2e...
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by sastaz »

sorry see now this should've been i ooc forum

Right. I might be a little younger (born i 76) and non american, so I basically grew up with the D&D-line (as opposed to the AD&D-line). I started with Mentzer Red Box and then added some stuff from the "orange spine" AD&D-books which were on sale at the time in London.

But ok so now I see the question. My impression is that a lot of the new "retro clones" just try to reproduce a single original set with:

1) IP like drow, mind flayers etc removed.
2) Correcting what appears to be misprints/bugs.
3) Change presentation to more reader friendly.

Lab Lord for example does exactly that, both "basic" and "advanced" version.

Right now you have the nice "Old School Essentials" line which does exactly the same thing. (But in color.)

OSRIC seems to be doing exactly that as well, in fact:
"The purpose of OSRIC is to provide publishers with a tool to legally produce gaming materials compatible with first edition AD&D."
Get as close as possible without being sued. :)
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Rex »

Basically yes. I started with Holmes Basic, which doesn't have the Race as Class of the later Basic editions and only goes to 3rd level. BlueHolme rules are an excellent OSR version, the Prentice rules are free and the Journeyman expand the levels further.
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by redwarrior »

Well, it's really interesting in that "game mechanics" (rules) can't be copyrighted, just the presentation. Which makes it fun to dance right up to the wire. We are seeing just how creative people can be about "how do I explain the impacts of being agile on avoiding being hit without using the exact same layout as someone else?"

To be clear, I'm really good with the revival. Almost all works are derivative, and I think sometimes IP laws go too far. Absolutely, authors should benefit from their work, but there should be limits different from today's. A company (not naming any magic users near oceans....) shouldn't be able to purchase and kill content for instance. Like I said, OSRIC is written MUCH better than 1e/AD&D. Anything which keeps the old ways alive is good in my book.

Oh, and Rex is right, of course, Holmes Basic came out before B/X (I tend to mentally smush them together). I went In Search of the Unknown the first time as an "elf" (B/X - though I didn't know there were different versions then, friend had the game) and explored the Keep on the Borderlands as a "halfling." After that, I did a few games more games in B/X, but was into AD&D exclusively (never played BECMI) sometime in 78/79.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Rex »

I started in 1979 as a player in a Search for the Unknown adventure using Holmes Basic. My first character was a Halfling Thief. We tried B/X at some point and no one cared for it and switched to AD&D 1e mostly then to 2e and back to 1e, with an occasion Holmes session mixed in. I have only played BECMI on here but it is similar enough it doesn't really matter.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Spearmint »

Let's move D&D edition chat to ooc so this thread can keep to Expedition planning.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by sastaz »

sastaz wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:41 pm Regarding equipment: since we're not planning to go underground and have at least one healer, maybe not a lot? A first aid kit a piece?
So, fellow adventurers, what do you say about this?

Raust
Traeliorn
Venwynn
Isvand

?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Marullus »

I have one first aid kit. I think that's a good idea.

We have:

Friar Marcel (NPC)
Raust with Namma and Carca
Traeliorn
Gerdal
Isvand
Venwynn

...and I hope we get to roll for the two half elf ranger NPCs still.
RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#215 Post by RiverGreenForest »

sastaz wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:01 pm
sastaz wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:41 pm Regarding equipment: since we're not planning to go underground and have at least one healer, maybe not a lot? A first aid kit a piece?
So, fellow adventurers, what do you say about this?

Raust
Traeliorn
Venwynn
Isvand

?
Sorry, I'm having trouble keeping up on what threads we talk on. I am ready, did a once over on my inventory. I think I have the basics to go adventuring. :)
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Dale Birgenson, human warrior, is entering town. I need to get him introduced in the appropriate threads (but cannot resist the images...) but aside from that, he's ready to go on an adventure.

I"d be happy to accompany Raust, Traeliorn, Venwynn, Isvand, et al. Or to wait for Stirling's character to return seeking a cleric, and then heading out with them for the tail end of their adventure.

If the latter, would it be possible to harvest spiderwebs for a week and get back before Stirling returns? He could use the gold. :P
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Spearmint »

Dale Birgensen

Introduce your self in the Brazen Strumpet Tavern thread (plus post the pic in the Tomb Raiders). Date the post as May 23rd.

Folk can introduce themselves in the tavern and offer you to join them or you can join the couple to go Spider Silk, probably a shorter trip for gold and XP.

As to Vann Hector, Cosmo and Sir Dewey, they are only on May 13th in the calender chronology. So will need to rest and take downtime in Helix to catch up. (Providing they make it back of course).
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Spearmint »

Ironguard

For those on that trek, Sven Orgoth, Mori, Dougal, Fydmar & Durgo, I am just filling out the settlement thread and will be good to go in a day or so.

Thank you for your patience.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Rex »

All good.
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#220 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

All good. I wrapped up anything Durgo was doing in town in case it was holding up the trip to Ironguard. I'm really excited about the trip.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”