1. The Tomb (action)

tibbius
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: The Tomb (action)

#21 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax hears the word move and follows Sealgair as quickly as the dwarf can.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ybn1197 »

Holding his gear to himself, Elzarune moves through the opening with the others.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by tibbius »

You stand with your feet planted firmly on the smooth and slightly yielding floor of the passage. The smooth, slightly porous walls meet in a shadowy arch just above your torch flames. The arch is blackened with soot from the torches of previous explorers. The greyish floor is scuffed and ... stained ... that looks like old, old blood. Or oil. Or vomit. The air smells like oil.

Sealgair is in the lead, her fur bristling a little in the chill and mildewy breeze, her torch flickering. Grax follows her, axe at the ready. Elzarune is next, wary for action, holding torch aloft. Wraith follows, last into the passage.

The floor and walls shake; there is a grinding noise; the whole structure lurches before moving dizzyingly to the left. Your ears and stomachs swirl a bit and your legs wobble.

Roll a Save; Grax has advantage for "Tough"; paint the floor if you fail.

You could go two by two in this passage; if so, I'm thinking S-G followed by E-W. Otherwise, order as described.

The passage continues forward to the limit of Sealgair's torch light. She can smell a wider space ahead; Grax senses one, as well. The torch light does not quite reach it.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
GreyWolfVT

#24 Post by GreyWolfVT »

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by ybn1197 »

Last edited by ybn1197 on Fri May 22, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair moves forward, ever alert.

Save [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Paladin »

[1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3

Wraith ducks through the newly-revealed door and trails along, eyes scanning the visible stonework above and to each side. His mind races to process information about their surroundings, but the sudden lurch catches him off guard.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by tibbius »

The passage continues about twenty yards to a broad low-ceilinged room with a randomly checkered pattern of light and dark grey squares on the floor. Each square is eighteen inches across. The ceiling is eight feet high. The ten foot wide passage opens at the middle of a wall about forty feet long that curves slightly away from you. Within your torchlight, about thirty feet away, the opposite wall also curves away from you.

There are two other exits from this room: a narrow dark opening in the far left corner, about five feet high; a ten foot wide opening with an eight foot high arched ceiling, in the near right corner.

Everything around you moves slowly and steadily to your left, keeping you just a little bit off balance. The room smells like oil and death. From the right hand opening you hear sporadic clanking and banging noises. From the left hand opening you hear a moaning noise.

There is a pile of bones in the far right corner.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by ybn1197 »

Is there any decent weight rocks available to throw on the floor?
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by tibbius »

Looking at the walls and ceiling, you see cracks and chips in the porous stone. On the floor along the base of the walls are small (thumb-sized) chunks of the rock. You probably could use a sturdy dagger to pry out a chunk the size of your fist.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ybn1197 »

Elzarune will pry out as large a chunk of rock as he can and toss it onto the mosaic patterned floor. As he does this, he is keeping an eye on the corners of the room to see if there is any reaction to the weight on the floor.
GreyWolfVT

#32 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax scratches his head unsure of what Elzarune is doing asks "Anythin' I can help with Elzarune?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by tibbius »

The fist-sized hunk of rock is a little bit lighter than Elzarune expects. When he heaves it forward, it flies easily and lands with a softened thunk a little past the center of the diamond-patterned floor. It bounces once, tumbles, and comes to a rest.

Nothing else happens. The moaning from the left and clanking from the right continue. The pile of bones lies still. The whole structure continues drifting to the left with you inside it, slightly nauseated.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"Do we step out?"
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Paladin »

Wraith's stomach felt fine. Until the world went topsy-turvy and he found himself clapping a hand over his mouth. He turns frantically to an empty corner and--as discreetly as possible--empties his breakfast upon the stone floor. Wiping his chin on the hem of his cloak, the young man inhales a bracing lungful of the fetid dungeon air and chuckles mirthlessly. "Off we go, lads."

When confronted by the checkered room, he pauses to consider the bones in the far corner. "I don't care to add mine to the pile," he mutters. He examines the room with a practiced eye. Here's where I earn my gold, he thinks, putting his mind to work.

Since Wraith is perceptive and a trapmaster, I'd like to have him scour the room to see anything that might tip him off as to the nature of the danger in this room. Anything the bones can tell him. If the squares on the floor fit tightly or seem like they might be loose or somehow able to move. If there are apertures in the wall or if he sees some kind of lever or switch or other means of rendering it safe for them to pass.

[1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 5
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by tibbius »

Wraith scans the room, kneels to inspect the floor in the flickering torchlight. Its structure is not familiar to him. Rather than stone tiles grouted together, the surface appears to be a continuous expanse of some slightly yielding material, cool to the touch, that is stained alternately light and dark grey. A very thin crack runs across the threshold where the entrance passage opens into the room, and at that crack the diamond-patterned surface and the uniformly light grey flooring of the passage both curl upward slightly.

There is no sign of any switch or lever or pressure plate. The room appears free of traps. Something else must have led to the demise of the bones in the corner.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
GreyWolfVT

#37 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax will dig out a smaller stone and throw it into the room as far as he can to see what happens.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by tibbius »

Nothing happens.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
GreyWolfVT

#39 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax done with testing steps into the room and prays.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Paladin »

Wraith's brow furrows and he takes a cautious step forward, then another, braced to attempt a backward leap if he sees or hears anything out of place.

Return to “Traversing Tiny Dungeons (Tiny Dungeon)”