The Road Over the Mountains

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: The Road Over the Mountains

#21 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel "Shootout" Stokes

I'm not really used to this kind of weather, so I'm fine with stayin' put another day if others think we should.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zhym »

"I got nowhere to be," says the Kid with a shrug.
Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#23 Post by Black Wyvern »

The storm howls for two days leaving what you would imagine would be a couple feet of fresh snow had it come down straight and laid a blanket. The driving winds however didn't allow for that so there are huge drifts some nearly ten feet tall cutting the country. The air remains cold and a few short scouts finds the pass out of the valley is buried by a monster drift. It takes the group of you four days to cut through it. On the morning of the fifth, when you planned to leave you wake to a foot of new snow and obscuring snowfall.

Everyone settles back in for the day. When all is done there is another two feet of snow on the ground and even though there was little wind you spend the next two days clearing a path through the drift again. The story repeats itself a couple of times and before you know it a month has passed you have eaten the provisions you packed and what game you could find. The local cattle begin looking good but the reminder is always there that men get hung for that so desperation pushes you to move on despite the obvious dangers of the steep mountain pass.

The day is clear and the air cold enough to keep the drifted snow solid enough to pass. You make your way carefully down the steepest part of the pass and come into the foothills. You see dead cattle everywhere. Several show signs of predation.

The going is very slow and the horses must stop for frequent rest breaks. What would have only taken you a few hours in good weather takes all day. Towards evening you think you have made about half the trip to Burned Bush Wells. As the sun begins to fade the calls of wolves and coyotes break the icy silence. From ahead of you over the next rise you hear the crack of gunfire. It sounds like a single shooter. There is probably about a half hour until total darkness. Clouds are beginning to gather.
Scott308

#24 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel "Shootout" Stokes

Upon hearing the gunshot, Stokes sits a little straighter in the saddle. Everyone, look alive, especially those with long guns. Someone else is out here, and we don't know if they're friendly.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rex »

Nahum

On hearing the shot Nahum perks up in the saddle. When Sam speaks up he silently nods agreement and reaches for his carbine. Once he has it comfortably in his hand, Nahum starts looking around for anywhere someone could ambush them from and a spot he can ride or run to for cover if need be.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sawbones looks all around after hearing the shot. He moves his horse to the side of the trail and pulls out his spyglass. He peers through it in the direction the shot came from, trying to find any clues off in the distance.
wapsii
Strider
Strider

#27 Post by wapsii »

Hopefully they have a camp and are firing to scare off wolves or such. Rusy replies as pulls out his carbine.

OOC: How many shots and how fast? Is it revolver or rifle fire?
Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#28 Post by Black Wyvern »

The shots appear to have come from the other side of the ridge not anywhere in sight. There is no way to tell if it is a pistol or rifle without knowing the distance.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sawbones nudges his horse on down the trail towards the next ridge, looking for a place to stop where he can use his spyglass to his advantage.

"We oughta see what them shots are all about. Could be someone needs a little help?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

Nahum

"Agreed, I would rather know who is close by." Nahum follows along behind Sawbones.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Zhym »

"Yeah, let's go see what the shootin's all about," agrees The Wichita Kid.
Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#32 Post by Black Wyvern »

As you crest the ridge you see a snow covered road twisting down the valley in front of you. The trail you are following meets up with it at the bottom of the hill, a couple hundred yards away. The road turns sharply along a frozen river. At just about the junction of your trail and the road there is a black one-horse buggy that has slid off the road and has one wheel down the river bank. A man in a black suit is standing beside the buggy. He fires two shots from an old Patterson ring lever rifle down into the river. Three wolves scatter on the frozen river bed but soon circle back around the buggy as the man desperately tries to reload the percussion weapon.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rex »

Nahum

Nahum starts riding down towards the buggy. "Nothing worse than wolves, evil buggers. Used to kill our sheep." Mutters Nahum as he works towards the buggy. Once in range of the wolves Nahum will take shot at one with his carbine, if he can determine the alpha he will target it.

Carbine [1d100] = 62
Scott308

#34 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel "Shootout" Stokes

Seeing the man beset by wolves and knowing he can be of no use at this range, Stokes applies the spurs to his horse, urging it on as best as he can, through the heavy snow. If he can get close enough, he will draw his single action and fire a shot at one of the wolves.

wapsii
Strider
Strider

#35 Post by wapsii »

"Hopefully they are learned in the sound of gun fire" rusty says as he pulls his carbine out and fires at the wolves before riding towards the man.

[1d100] = 57 [1d100] = 74 [1d100] = 54
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Once more shots ring out, Sawbones spurs his reluctant mare along towards the action, despite the poor animals obvious hesitation. He pulls out his shotgun as the others approach the man, hoping he wont actually need to use it.

"Looks like we came by just in the nick of time, partner. Where ya headed in this snowy mess?"
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Zhym »

The Wichita Kid joins the others and rides towards the man. He keeps a wary eye on the wolves, but keeps his guns holstered until he is closer.
Black Wyvern
Guide
Guide

#38 Post by Black Wyvern »

Rusty kills a wolf as the group approaches the buggy. The charging mounted men and gun shots scare the remainder of the pack off. You rein in as you draw up on the buggy and see the occupant is an elderly man in a black suit. Sawbones immediately notices the black medical bag in the seat of the buggy. Two wheels are off the road and mired in the snow.

"Good day gentlemen. I am Doctor Rudolf Klaber. I cannot tell you how fortuitous your arrival is." The man says in a Boston accent.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sawbones

"Well hullo there Doc! Im guessing that ya could use a hand getting that buggy free, ya? You must be on a hellava important trip to be traveling through this snow. Name's McCoy, but most folk just call me......ummm......McCoy."

Once the danger is clear, Sawbones tries to help with the mans horse and buggy, attempting to get it back on the trail if the others are willing to help as well.
Scott308

#40 Post by Scott308 »

Samuel "Shootout" Stokes

After the wolves are chased away, Sam will holster his guns before hopping down to help with the buggy. Lucky for you we came along when we did, huh? Name's Sam. Nice to meet ya, Doc.

Return to “Go Heeled [Boot Hill 2nd Edition]”