Episode OOC

Antman9
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Episode OOC

#21 Post by Antman9 »

Zhym wrote:Can Gideon add a Notice roll on the nature of the flash, or is he so far out of his element that he's just a passenger?
I'd probably lean toward the latter except that he served. We are going to address ascertaining the source of the flash in Beat 2 or 3, so keep those thoughts in mind. We'll discuss who has the best shot at what action and who should do what in each beat until folks get the hang of things.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Jack »

Sorry for the delayed IC post, but I didn't want to roll lent dice for other players before they okayed it. I like the ruling that lenders roll their own die and post that before it's used by the player making the big pool.

I'm good with freely used flashbacks. English is my 2nd language, so I'm not good with quick improv, and doing flashbacks in a real-time face-to-face game would be difficult; but in a Pbf game there's time to figure something out.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by Jack »

I made a mistake by making the rolls separately - it should've been a single roll. Next time I'll describe what's rolled, and then do a single roll for all of them combined.
Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#24 Post by Jack »

I didn't use the (protect friends) specialty because that seems more like a deliberate choice Percy would need to make, whereas getting out of the tailspin was more of an immediate instinct.
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by FantasyChic »

Jack wrote:Zhào Percy - ship's captain.

Percy cuts the throttle, and as the world spins outside the cockpit window he tries to lift and level the shuttle's nose. Percy breathes out, relaxes his shoulders, tunes out the siren, and focuses on using the thrusters and the moon's gravity to simulate an alternating full-rudders stall.
Recovery roll of tailspin complication:
Dà gāisǐ bānchē, attribute, engines [1d10] = 7
Percy, skill, fly [1d10] = 7
Percy, signature asset, Proudhon and its shuttles [1d8] = 3
Percy, distinction, ship's captain [1d8] = 2
Stakes raised: 7+7=14 (higher than 11 set). Page with all Percy's rolls.

After getting out of the spin, he sends the shuttle into a nose dive towards the moon's fast approaching surface to pick up speed again.
I don't understand any of what is going on here.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

FantasyChic wrote: I don't understand any of what is going on here.
Rolling 101:
  • Figure out (by a bunch of rules) how many dice you can put in your pool. In this case, Jack is explaining that he has 1d10, 1d10, 1d8, and1d8.
  • when you help him (such as Milly being co-pilot and adding her Fly 1d8) you give one more die to the pool.
  • All the dice get rolled.
  • Add together the two highest numbers. (In his example, 7+7=14)
  • Compare the best two Jack rolled to the best two that the GM rolled to see who wins.
So, the GM rolled 11 on two dice. Jack rolled 14 on two dice. Jack wins and narrates us getting out of the Tailspin. If you narrate helping him as a co-pilot, you can roll one die to help. If you get better than a 7, you raise the total for a bigger success. If he wins by 5 or more points, he wins a Big Damn Hero die to help a future roll,so that's good.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Antman9 »

Sorry folks. I gad a long day at work today. Making the long drive home now. I'll be online around 9pm central time to make a few posts and update stuff

Marullus, thanks for helping FC.

FC, i will help you out tonight. If u are online around 9 we can do a chat, otherwise I'll open an Ooc for just us two and we can step through the rules one part at a time

For now, if the few folks who can lend a Fly (Milly) or Operate (Edmund, etc) they can make their posts if they feel comfortable doing so. Like Marullus said, if ghe total roll beats the GM roll by 5 then Percy gets a Big Damn Hero die.

Trying to type and drive isnt working so well. I'll post more later tonigt.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Marullus »

Can we make a Campaign ID in the roller and character it helps a lot with the record keeping to have a log of rolls instead of all on-the-fly.
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by FantasyChic »

So what do I roll then to help with being a co-pilot? I add one more to his dice pool? Or mine? Do I just use the Fly skill or do I have other things to aid to that?
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by FantasyChic »

OH WAIT!

So I take anything I have that can add to the dice pool (such as assets, skills, triggers, etc.) and I total up the two highest amounts.

Ok that makes a bit more sense, I just saw all that text and got immediately terrified

I just need to know how to handle the co-pilot thing and I can post. Also yeah, is there a campaign ID for the dice roller.

-Dr. Seuss
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

Yep,if it is your action, that's the jist of it.

When helping someone else's action, you loan them one die for their pool which must be a skill. The GM has suggested you co-pilot and loan your 1d8 Fly. Your narrative also might cover how you Notice a key factor, loaning 1d10 notice (if the GM allows it).

As a helper: You write your story, roll your one die, and post it.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Antman9 »

Marullus wrote:Can we make a Campaign ID in the roller and character it helps a lot with the record keeping to have a log of rolls instead of all on-the-fly.
I thought I PM'd that to everyone. I may have forgotten to do that

Campaign ID: 445
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Antman9 »

Marullus wrote:Yep,if it is your action, that's the jist of it.

When helping someone else's action, you loan them one die for their pool which must be a skill. The GM has suggested you co-pilot and loan your 1d8 Fly. Your narrative also might cover how you Notice a key factor, loaning 1d10 notice (if the GM allows it).

As a helper: You write your story, roll your one die, and post it.
Yep, pretty much. And if you (FantasyChic) can come up with an ingenious way your Notice would assist in this situation (helping the Pilot an control of the shuttle), as the Co-Pilot, I will allow it. If you're unsure, simply roleplay it (describe in what way your crewmember is using Notice to help the Pilot), and add the die roll (i.e. Lend Notice [1d10]) to your post. It won't really hurt anything. If I don't think it applies, I will state why, and not use it (then we can discuss it in the OOC thread if you want). The following details out how you make your post, as Co-Pilot.

POST FORMAT
Your post should be in the standard PBP format:
  • First line should be your crewmember’s name and title (i.e. Zhào Percy – Ship Captain)
  • Follow this with your crewmember’s action and any dialog you feel is appropriate.
  • Next should be any dice rolls
For the action and dialog section you will want to describe, in as much detail as you can, what your crewmember is doing. You don’t need to write a book, but you do want to provide enough information that the GM and other players know exactly what you are doing/implying/trying to get across. If you post a short one liner, it may get misinterpreted by the GM or other players and lead to confusion. Try to portray, through words, how your crewmember reacts to the situation through actions, dialog, posture, etc.

Co-Pilot
The Co-Pilot will describe how they are helping the Pilot to stabilize the shuttle. You might describe the steps you take (this is all made up so just wing it). You might even shout orders to other crewmembers, such as “Divert power to starboard thrusters” etc. The Co-Pilot will also roll for Fly [1d8], as a lent die.

Sample format for the Dice Roller
  • i.e. Lend Fly [1d8]
and possibly
  • Lend Notice [1d10]
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Antman9 »

All,

I need to get my workout and run out of the way, so I'm signing off until later. I just wanted to let everyone know, I plan on stepping the group through this first beat (Beat 1) and subsequent beats, until everyone is more comfortable. If at any time you are ready, and getting tired of stepping through, just shout it out and we will move forward, all guns blazing.

What do I mean by Step Through the Beats?
I'll make an OOC post describing what I think each crewmember can/should do for their post during each Beat, including possible dialog and die rolls.

I think the dice rolling is possibly causing some folks to panic a little. One option I am considering is having each payer make their post for each Beat (starting out for the first few beats), just describing what their character is doing, how they react to the environment/events, adding dialog and detailed description, then I will go in and add any appropriate die rolls with brief explanations. Until folks get the hang of it, the general idea, and start making their own rolls.

Would that help anyone out/feel more comfortable?
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Zhym »

I'd be more than okay with that. Focus on RP first and let the DM handle the mechanics for a while.
Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I finally got through the episode post(s). Still haven't gotten through the rest of the new posts/threads but I will try and just do a flashback tomorrow to get the ball rolling again. I will plan to include Marallus's character (in a tangential way) since thy were both in the service. Why not have them on the same ship?
Flashbacks are an interesting concept here. In a face to face game, I imagine it being done as an outline with a few bits fleshed out. I cannot see it being anything less than a short story in a PBP game though. Sci-fi writing, eh? Wish me luck!

Edit: how do I use my Hideous trait's trigger? Specifically, how do I advance an I don't want to burn thingy?
New rules.... Grumble, grumble.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I finally got through the episode post(s). Still haven't gotten through the rest of the new posts/threads but I will try and just do a flashback tomorrow to get the ball rolling again. I will plan to include Marallus's character (in a tangential way) since thy were both in the service. Why not have them on the same ship?
Flashbacks are an interesting concept here. In a face to face game, I imagine it being done as an outline with a few bits fleshed out. I cannot see it being anything less than a short story in a PBP game though. Sci-fi writing, eh? Wish me luck!.
That's cool - you post, then I'll add to it. It looks like the Flashbacks are designed to have two PCs bounce off each other, and I like that. I will therefore also work in my War Stories trigger... perhaps I am not on the same ship but in the same battle? Either way, the laser blast that blew up your engine room in the past plays into Jesse's roll to trace back the laser blast this time. Cool enmeshing. (Mechanically, bumping the veteran distinction to d10 due to the War Stories trigger, plus whatever asset the GM awards us.)

Edit: how do I use my Hideous trait's trigger? Specifically, how do I advance an I don't want to burn thingy?
New rules.... Grumble, grumble.
The GM says, "there is a risk of fire."
You say, "I am using that trigger."
You take a PP.
GM records the d6 complication.
When the GM rolls against you, the "I don't want to burn! D6" complication gets added to HIS Pool against you.
If you roll a 1, or if you have a new firey-death moment before the first complication is removed, it "advances" and becomes a d8, a d10, etc.

Antman is just emphasizing that the second step is crucial - you choose to do it. You have the option to not be afraid and thus not get the Plot Point award.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Antman9 »

Rusty,
I know you said you would start with the Flashback, but I was hoping, considering we are trying to keep things simple, so as not to confuse too many folks with too much at once, if you could hold off on the flashback until Beat 2 or 3, and possibly just assist the Pilot this Beat (Beat 1) with Lend Operate? Does that sound ok? You seem pretty excited about the Flashback, and I don’t want to step on that. Yes, no, maybe so?

Marullus and I were going back and forth about that, and not sure we finalized on anything specifically. Technically, according to the rules, any time a crewmember creates and asset (spending a PP), the GM can call for a flashback and then the crewmember brings in another crewmember and performs a miniscene about an event from their past that relates to the asset. The GM can opt to give the crewmember that created the asset their PP back afterwards.

I was positing that a Flashback could also be a nice plot/drama device, initiated by the GM, anytime a crewmember is in a situation that might initiate memories of a past experience, good or bad, and that crewmember would then react accordingly, not necessarily bring in another crewmember (or they can), and not necessarily spend a PP and create an asset (or an asset might be awarded by the GM afterwards or chosen by that crewmember). They might freak out, or spout nonsense that no one or very few understand, or they might try to relate their past experience to the crew in some way, and other miscellaneous options. It would basically be just a plot driver, something to add drama and color to the PBP, additional interactions among crewmembers, etc.

Code: Select all

Flashback
A flashback is a special Asset that relates to a mini-scene from a Crewmember’s past. The Gamemaster can call for a flashback scene any time a Crewmember creates an Asset by spending a Plot Point—especially when the Asset represents previous experiences or points out resources that might’ve had a powerful impact on the Crewmember. The Gamemaster can only call for one flashback scene per character per Episode.

When you create a flashback Asset, pick at least one other Crewmember to be involved in the flashback miniscene. Working with the other Crewmember, play out what happened in your past. The Episode’s main plot will pause to give your fellow players the chance to see what really happened. Once the flashback is over, step up the Asset you created by one die type. If the mini-scene is really interesting, the Gamemaster can opt to give you back your Plot Point, so pour your heart into it!
Rusty wrote:New rules.... Grumble, grumble.
Heehee, I got a kick out of that. This rule set really had me befuddled for awhile. I had to read through the book, well, a lot!

I tried to keep that post as short as possible...didn't work out real well. Gonna have to work on my succinctness obviously

Doh! Marullus beat me again! And he was more succinct!
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by Antman9 »

I made a supplementary Beat 1 post in The Next Step thread, for those folks that haven't posted for Beat 1 yet. I will leave it up to Rusty and Marullus, as to wether or not they do the Flashback in Beat 1, 2, or 3. I just didn't want to get people too confused.

Also, let me know if I'm being too verbose in The Next Step posts. If I need to break it down into shorter bullet items I can do that. I just want to make sure everyone understands what they need to do, or what options are available to them.

p.s. Zhym: I got a good chuckle out of your post. It cracked me up. Great job being succinct, precise, colorful, descriptive, and funny in two simple sentences.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Antman9 »

Jack wrote:I didn't use the (protect friends) specialty because that seems more like a deliberate choice Percy would need to make, whereas getting out of the tailspin was more of an immediate instinct.
Good call Jack. I was hesitant to add it myself, but I thought I'd add it in anyway.
Jack wrote:I made a mistake by making the rolls separately - it should've been a single roll. Next time I'll describe what's rolled, and then do a single roll for all of them combined.
Not a big deal. Do whatever is easiest for you. I think it will work fine either way.
Jack wrote:Sorry for the delayed IC post, but I didn't want to roll lent dice for other players before they okayed it. I like the ruling that lenders roll their own die and post that before it's used by the player making the big pool.

I'm good with freely used flashbacks. English is my 2nd language, so I'm not good with quick improv, and doing flashbacks in a real-time face-to-face game would be difficult; but in a Pbf game there's time to figure something out.
No worries Jack, everyone was a little hesitant. I think for Beat 2 I am going to assign a post order possibly. You seem to being doing just fine with your English, and your post was great. Looking forward to your next post.

Return to “Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)”