The Saucy Centaur (OOC)

dok-el
Guide
Guide

Re: The Saucy Centaur (OOC)

#21 Post by dok-el »

triplehappiness wrote:Question. These characters are all first level. How common are Harpies in this setting? Are we assuming they've never encountered a Harpy? That they have? That they have heard rumors? Roll for it? Just checking before I RP my characters responses. It will be based on their game/world knowledge, not mine. :)
It is unlikely that any of the characters have ever seen a harpy 'in the flesh' before. However, there is a decent chance that they might recognize them from received stories, folk tales and conversations with more experienced adventurers.
FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

dok-el wrote:
triplehappiness wrote:Question. These characters are all first level. How common are Harpies in this setting? Are we assuming they've never encountered a Harpy? That they have? That they have heard rumors? Roll for it? Just checking before I RP my characters responses. It will be based on their game/world knowledge, not mine. :)
It is unlikely that any of the characters have ever seen a harpy 'in the flesh' before. However, there is a decent chance that they might recognize them from received stories, folk tales and conversations with more experienced adventurers.
Hoo boy. Looks like I picked a bad day to get busy.
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten
triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#23 Post by triplehappiness »

dok-el wrote:
Ok, I notice you say "decent chance". Based on that I'm going to RP that Herbert is either not familiar or the memory is not presenting itself under duress. And that Crenshaw is reminded of a story he once heard and is successful in making the connection (at least once something happens that is unique, like if the saving throw is failed and things start getting weird).
dok-el
Guide
Guide

#24 Post by dok-el »

Zhym wrote:Where are Zanzibar and Reg right now?
With the rest of the party, standing just outside the door.

FlightlessScotsman wrote:I have an idea, but first I need to know if there's any mud close at hand.
You could probably scrape together a handful of mud, or at least wet earth.

triplehappiness wrote:He's hesitant to go in the chamber but will do so if he can't get an angle on the creatures for a bowshot through the door.
Re: Crenshaw I'm going to say that shooting through the door will result in a -2 penalty to hit, but will allow him to avoid the effects of the harpy song.
triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#25 Post by triplehappiness »

dok-el wrote:
triplehappiness wrote:He's hesitant to go in the chamber but will do so if he can't get an angle on the creatures for a bowshot through the door.
Re: Crenshaw I'm going to say that shooting through the door will result in a -2 penalty to hit, but will allow him to avoid the effects of the harpy song.
Sounds good to me! Will append my post to reflect that situation.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Antman9 »

Sorry guys, I got sick while out backpacking and came home early. Had a fever the last couple of days. Back on my feet now, but I have a long day of classes. Looks like I have a lot to catch up on. I'm heading to class now. After that I will catch up and make a post.

Thanks for your patience.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Antman9 »

dok-el wrote:
Zhym wrote:Hey, look, it's a new OOC thread.

The hazards of using "View your posts" to keep up with new posts in games you're in...
Heh. Apologies. I wanted to change the name of the OOC thread and the only way I could see to do it was to trash the old one and start again ;)

Welcome to the Saucy Centaur!
If you go to the very first post you made in the Thread you can change the name of it in the Subject field.
triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#28 Post by triplehappiness »

Instead of adding another post, I've added the attack rolls to my existing post.
dok-el
Guide
Guide

#29 Post by dok-el »

Antman9 wrote:If you go to the very first post you made in the Thread you can change the name of it in the Subject field.
Hi Antman, very glad to see you back with us :) Thanks for the tip - at the time i really couldn't figure out a way of doing it - I will bear it in mind for the future.

triplehappiness wrote:Instead of adding another post, I've added the attack rolls to my existing post.
Cool :)
dok-el
Guide
Guide

#30 Post by dok-el »

Okay so the wax-in-ears plan is pretty neat. Let's give it a pass and say anyone with wax in their ears is immune to the Harpies' singing. I'm going to attach a time factor though - let's say one person applying wax to one set of ears (their own or someone else's) takes one combat round.

As far as Loman goes, however, he's already under the spell and waxing him up isn't really going to help much. Given the chance he will seek to make his way back toward the (lovely) Harpies.

So, the Harpies' magic comes in two parts. The first part lures the victim toward them. The second part allows them to Charm the victim with a touch 'attack' (unopposed, since the victim is already mesmerised).

According to the rulebook, the only way to reverse a Charm spell is to magically dispel it. I'm gonna add that knocking someone unconscious is also a valid 'treatment' :) as is destroying the source of the spell (in this case, the Harpies). FYI: Subdual damage rules are in the S&W book under special combat situations.

Edit: Also, although it doesn't specifically say so I'm gonna say that a single MU or magical creature can only hold one person Charmed at a time.

Currently waiting on qazbnm for saving throws for Katarina and actions for Marcus. If he doesn't show in the next few hours I will make the saves and update the IC accordingly.
FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#31 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

So now I have to ask myself one question. Is Arnthorr the kind of fellow that would bash somebody over the head? Why yes. Yes he is! :lol:
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do." - Larry Kersten
dok-el
Guide
Guide

#32 Post by dok-el »

Okay it looks like qazbnm is having a busy one. I will roll saves for Katarina:

First save [1d20] = 15
Second save [1d20] = 18

Katarina rocks her saves! :)

I will update the IC shortly.
Last edited by dok-el on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Antman9 »

Subdual Damage
Page 34
A weapon may be used to beat down, rather than kill, an opponent. When the player desires, damage inflicted by a character can be composed of half “real” damage and half “subdual” damage. Subdual damage does not kill, and such points are recovered at a rate of 1 hp per hour. If an opponent’s hit points, including the subdual damage, fall to zero, the opponent is knocked unconscious rather than killed, unless the real damage actually reduces real hit points to zero, in which case the opponent is killed accidentally! Not all monsters may be subdued. Generally only humanoids and special creatures such as dragons will be subject to such attacks.

So from what I can tell, for every subdual hit made half of the damage points are real the other half are subdual only, and when the total of the two reach zero for the opponents health they are knocked unconscious.

Does that sound correct?
triplehappiness
Scout
Scout

#34 Post by triplehappiness »

Are either or both Harpies still singing?
dok-el
Guide
Guide

#35 Post by dok-el »

FlightlessScotsman wrote:Arnthorr listens intently to Himmel, looks around briefly for a second or two before a funny look crosses his face and he shrugs. He raises the pommel of his sword over Loman's head and brings it down swiftly.

I assume Loman making no effort to defend himself here because of the Harpy song, if you need an attack roll to subdue him let me know. This is my first round action. I'll be doing the candle trick in round 2 ... I think?
(Awesome my reply vanished into cyberspace and I get to type the whole thing out again :( )

Loman wants to go play with the Harpies, Arnthorr is trying to stop him. Consider him hostile ie you will need to make an attack roll.

Also, Arnthorr has done a lot this round. Attack vs Loman will resolve on round 2. Wax trick will have to wait until the following round.

Antman: Yep, sounds right.

Triplehappiness: Neither harpy is singing in round 2. There is no guarantee that they won't start again however, unless they're dead of course.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Antman9 »

This is awesome!

I love it all.

:lol:
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Antman9 »

Himmel will continue to hold Loman as long as he can. He doesn't really have the cajones to face whatever those things are head on, especially considering the state of affairs so far. He's kind of a chicken.
dok-el
Guide
Guide

#38 Post by dok-el »

Antman9 wrote:Himmel will continue to hold Loman as long as he can. He doesn't really have the cajones to face whatever those things are head on, especially considering the state of affairs so far. He's kind of a chicken.
Okay, Arnthorr can have +1 to hit Loman cos Himmel is helping him. Also +2 to hit cos Loman is prone :)
FlightlessScotsman
Tracker
Tracker

#39 Post by FlightlessScotsman »

Attack roll incoming. C'mon, big bucks, no whammies! ;)
dok-el
Guide
Guide

#40 Post by dok-el »

Antman: I think it's okay to mention waxing this round, but no actual waxing until next round :)

Everyone: So, the extremely deadly Crenshaw has killed one of the Harpies (the one still inside with Herbert and Katarina). People posting second round actions after Crenshaw's should bear this in mind.

Herbert will be back to normal (ish) next round.

Also, whilst narrating Arnthorr looking for candles I was reminded of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo

Return to “Castle of the Mad Archmage (S&W)”