III. To Belhaim

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: III. Belhaim

#21 Post by Alethan »

"Well... we figured we'd better keep an eye on you guys, make sure you don't get into any trouble," Ciar says after catching his breath.

Ciar doesn't waste any time moving away from the area. He keeps his distance from the reed-side of the trail while not quite leaving the road itself.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by AleBelly »

"We had this covered" replies Sylvan. "I notice you show up after we've taken care of the danger. An easy way to make a living I suppose."

Sylvan will hurry west, but not before retrieving his spear (unless it's within the area of effect in which case he leaves it behind).
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow smiles a semi toothless grin at seeing his comrades again. He picks a green reed and backs away from the lizards.

No need to spear these lowly creatures eh Syl? Seems our friends got lonely.

He steps away from the reeds and heads back to the dry way. He positions the green reed in between his thumbs and blows a strange but catchy tune on it as he walks along.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

The group is reunited once again, and everyone continues west on the Dry Way which, as promised, dips south and wind its way back north where, just before sunset, the group successfully manages to reach Wartle. An interesting, less friendly location than Sandpoint, built over the murky swamp water. All the buildings are built on stilts and connected by wooden boardwalks, making it a unique environment. "We're going to need to camp here," Silas says, visibly upset at the lack of progress. "Stay here," he says as he enters one of the first buildings. A short time later, Silas returns. "I managed to get us three rooms; a miracle, really, considering it's Moonday".

"Of course, one of them is mine. The rest of you can decide how you'd like to share the others."

---

24 Rova, 4712
Everyone rises early after a long, restless night. A night filled with endless noise -- everything from over-served trappers arguing, insects and their numerous buzzing sounds, and a frog or toad of some kind that refused to stop croaking.

"Another day like yesterday and Belhaim might still be a day away." Silas complains. "Pack up your stuff, eat rations in your room -- trust me, you don't want to eat what they serve strangers here -- and we best be off. Soon." Not exactly looking forward to spending any more time literally above the swamp, everyone agrees with Silas' plan and, after a quick breakfast, meet back near the shore of the Yondabakari River, just outside the towns entrance.

Just as Silas described, the river indeed forks at Wartle, with one branch turning north and feeding into the Ember Lake, which is overshadowed by the Malgorian Mountains, and the other branch continuing to wind east around the Sanos Forest and towards another town, Whistledown. "It's a bit more dangerous, but we're going this way," Silas states, pointing east towards a narrow track of land between the Yondabakari River and the southern edge of the Sanos Forest. "Ready?" Silas asks rhetorically.
Wartle East.png
Wartle East.png (87.62 KiB) Viewed 574 times
The group proceeds cautiously, paying particular attention to any noises, especially anything coming from either the forest or the swamp. A few uneventful hours pass and decent progress is made. The sun is rising and it's an uncomfortably warm day, especially for a naturally grumpy dwarf making the entire trek in a suit of heavy chain.

Then, without warning, a group of bipedal, frog-like amphibians covered with smooth, mottled olive green hides erupt from the swamp and hop great heights and distances to surround the party on the swamp side. The faces of these creatures resemble those of enormous frogs, with wide mouths and large, bulbous eyes, and they have webbed hands and feet. A quick count reveals that there are nine in total, ranging in size from as short as Ciar to taller than Sparrow and they all carry weapons -- swords and spears -- and shields.
sw_r0.png
sw_r0.png (108.89 KiB) Viewed 574 times

The tallest frog creature steps forward towards the group. "What's brings you's to my's swamps," it stammers out in broken common.

Actions?

Rolls:
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan address his group quickly. "Move no further south."

To the chief he says calmly "we're not in your swamp, sir. We are simply walking north of it. Let us pass and there will be no trouble. It's best for both of us."

Sylvan's hand moves slowly towards his pouch of mistletoe.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Storm11 »

Kassal will wait to see the outcome of the conversation, hands near his daggers read to throw
Greys Campaign.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by Alethan »

While Sylvan addresses the frog-man, Ciar moves around Kassal and positions himself nearer Festus.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by hedgeknight »

Having his crossbow ready, Festus gauges the distance to the nearest froggy (#8) as Ciar steps up behind him. "This be all yer fault, Shorty!" he hisses. "We coulda had a few days of drinking in peace and quiet...without the company of that damnable gnome!"

The dwarf glances at Kassal, then clears his throat and says to the frog men, "We'll trade ya the gnome for safe passage through yer swamp. It's a white meat > tastes like chicken...so I'm told."
Winter is coming...
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Storm11 »

"The dwarf would suit you better if you are dining, he's fat and juicy. You will need a sack of sugar though, he's as sour as a grapefruit!" the gnome shouts back, eying the strange creatures warily.

"Let us speak plainly, what is you want for our safe passage through this swamp?"
Greys Campaign.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow stands silent, chuckling at the verbal battle within the group.

He watches the reactions of the swamp creatures carefully.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by dmw71 »

Ciar casually circles around Kassal to end up nearer to Festus, while Sylvan takes a step forward to address the leader of the speaking frog people. Festus and Kassal jokingly offer each other up as sacrifices for passage. The supporting creatures shift positions slightly, not advancing any closer to the group, but circling north a bit to form a more complete blockage on either end.
sw_r1.png
sw_r1.png (102.83 KiB) Viewed 544 times
"We's no's wants you's small's people's," hisses the leader in broken common. "You's must's pay's fee's to's pass's my's swamps," it states. "Five's coin's... Each's. Or's you's pay's a's different's way's," it says authoritatively.

All the frog folk stand at the ready, and level their spears at the group as this last command is issued.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

Ciar shrugs and says, "Yeah, five coins, why not. Here ya go, Hoppy."

He pulls five copper coins out of his pouch and throws them at frog #1.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan tosses five copper too. "here ya go. Put down your weapons. It's a good deal for you, gents."
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Storm11 »

Kassal will do the same. "Come Silas, pay the swamp people"
Greys Campaign.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by hedgeknight »

"Ain't got five copper," Festus whispers to Ciar. "Got silver, but don't want to up the ante. Can ya spot me?"
Winter is coming...
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by Alethan »

Ciar sighs,"I've got three more coppers if anyone needs them."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sparrow stands tall with his arms crossed glaring at the frog men. He has no copper and will not pay in gold for this traveling fee nonsense.

Perhaps Silas has enough copper to pay for all of us?
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by AleBelly »

Sylvan pulls out another 5 cp, the last of his copper, to supplement the others, shaking his head. "Amateurs...not carrying small change."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by dmw71 »

The humanoid frog creatures hold their focus, but appear puzzled by the "negotiations" taking place between the different party members. Silas reaches into a full pouch and easily produced 5 copper pieces, tossing them into the pool of coins forming in front of the apparent leader. "Of course I have enough coins," he smirks quietly to Sparrow. "But I pay for my own hide, not yours, or anyone elses."

Sylvan tosses in an additional 5 copper pieces. Ciar whispers to Festus that he only has three extra copper, which with Festus' lone copper piece, is close to the 5 required which they they toss at the same time as Sylvan and hope the frog creatures aren't good at counting.

---

Contributions
Silas: 5 cp
Ciar: 5 cp (+ 3 cp for Festus.)
Sylvan: 5 cp (+ 5 cp for Sparrow.)
Kassal: Please confirm what he tosses in, if anything. 5 gold pieces?
Festus: 1 cp
Sparrow: Paid for by Sylvan.
Fulp: ???

I'll update again once I confirm Fulp and Kassal's contributions (or lack thereof).
-- Project --

-- DM --
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Storm11 »