01. Situation at the Falls

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 01. Situation at the Falls

#21 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote: After six bangs upon the drum, the canyon falls quiet.

Based on the pics, and the text map of the waterfall, is this true? I would imagine with or without drums, that the waterfall would be deafening, since we heard it for so far away. Would the drum sound even carry into the cave, for instance?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:
Based on the pics, and the text map of the waterfall, is this true? I would imagine with or without drums, that the waterfall would be deafening, since we heard it for so far away. Would the drum sound even carry into the cave, for instance?
ooc: Good catch. The drum falls silent. The sound of the waterfall is still most certainly heard.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:Whether or not Strom agrees, Ewell, being a wee bit impatient, begins his slow and steady walk toward the incoming group. He is confident and calm.
Ewell, not wishing to wait any longer, emerges from behind the cover of the waterfall. With confident strides, he begins making his way out into the open canyon in the direction of the group of humanoids.

ooc: Strom, I will update to reflect your actions as necessary.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote:
onlyme wrote:
ooc: Good catch. The drum falls silent. The sound of the waterfall is still most certainly heard.

My question was primarily focused on the drum sound carrying compared to the waterfall. Would the PCs feel that the drum sound carried enough to be heard in the caves, in the forests, etc?

thanks
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:My question was primarily focused on the drum sound carrying compared to the waterfall. Would the PCs feel that the drum sound carried enough to be heard in the caves, in the forests, etc?
Sorry. Yes, you do believe the sound of the drum was audible to all in that general vicinity (included anyone (or anything) taking residence within the cave behind you and the forested area beyond the canyon).
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Computer +1 »

Strom opened his mouth to argue but as Ewell started walking he closed it and quickly moved to walk side by side.
After a few steps together he says quietly If this goes poorly let us take as many of them as we can to give the others a better chance.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by onlyme »

Computer +1 wrote:Strom opened his mouth to argue but as Ewell started walking he closed it and quickly moved to walk side by side.
After a few steps together he says quietly If this goes poorly let us take as many of them as we can to give the others a better chance.

Ewell grins and whispers his reply,
Ahh, my good man, if it ever was to go that poorly for us, then surely the others haven't a chance in which to make better.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by dmw71 »

Computer +1 wrote:Strom opened his mouth to argue but as Ewell started walking he closed it and quickly moved to walk side by side.
Strom follows Ewell's lead and emerges out from behind the waterfall. The noble pair begin walking side-by-side towards the group of humanoids.

At this time, the group of humanoids show no sign of detecting the pair.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by Alethan »

Gwilt will stop when he is within medium bow range and when he can get a better idea of what the 10 humanoids are - human, elf, orc, etc.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Gwilt will stop when he is within medium bow range and when he can get a better idea of what the 10 humanoids are - human, elf, orc, etc.
[Here is a summary of how I have the characters positioned:
Gwillt, and Shannigans have moved to the bend, where the cliff takes a southern turn. PM forthcoming.

Garth and Kaltar are still behind the cover of the falls.

Ewell and Strom have just emerged from behind the falls and are making their way towards the band of humanoids. Ewell, please roll a d100 for me.

Updated map below.
01. Situation at the Falls.PNG
01. Situation at the Falls.PNG (75.68 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Last edited by dmw71 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Turned Notepad map into PNG file to prevent text wrap.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote:Ewell and Strom have just emerged from behind the falls and are making their way towards the band of humanoids. Ewell, please roll a d100 for me.

OK, so my smartassnes confused the dice roller, i put in 1d100 in the description, and it read that, versus the bracket. So the first roll shows a zero, but not where it should have. I attempted to reconstruct it using a test pc, but couldnt do it. So, not sure what happened... anyway your choice as to whether to accept the garbled first attempt, somewhat showing a zero, or take the correct format 7 result from the second

Random DM requested 0 [1d100]

The reroll, incase you felt the first was a bit too fubar'd a roll attempt.
2nd attempt at a 100 sided roll if necessary: [1d100] = 7

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:
dmw71 wrote:Ewell and Strom have just emerged from behind the falls and are making their way towards the band of humanoids. Ewell, please roll a d100 for me.

OK, so my smartassnes confused the dice roller, i put in 1d100 in the description, and it read that, versus the bracket. So the first roll shows a zero, but not where it should have. I attempted to reconstruct it using a test pc, but couldnt do it. So, not sure what happened... anyway your choice as to whether to accept the garbled first attempt, somewhat showing a zero, or take the correct format 7 result from the second

Random DM requested 0 [1d100]

I think the zero is a problem with the dice roller. Technically, you shouldn't be able to roll a zero on a 1d100 roll, so that first roll simply doesn't count.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you PM ToniXX with a link to that first roll? He's trying to track down how that's happening and more examples would be good.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:I think the zero is a problem with the dice roller. Technically, you shouldn't be able to roll a zero on a 1d100 roll, so that first roll simply doesn't count.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you PM ToniXX with a link to that first roll? He's trying to track down how that's happening and more examples would be good.

pm sent. and hopefully a 7 is more advantageous than a 100... never know about these, I guess....

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:
Alethan wrote:I think the zero is a problem with the dice roller. Technically, you shouldn't be able to roll a zero on a 1d100 roll, so that first roll simply doesn't count.

pm sent. and hopefully a 7 is more advantageous than a 100... never know about these, I guess....
To further clarify, the "0" result isn't 100. If you'd rolled a 100, it would have displayed as "100". That's why I was saying you should never get a "0" as a result. That wasn't you rolling a 100 and it displayed wrong. It was an error with the dice roller. You shouldn't get a zero as a result on ANY unmodified dice roll on the US Dice Roller, as far as I understand.
saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by saalaria »

It occurs to Kaltar that a show of force is usually the best way to avoid problems with non-good humanoids so he too steps out following Strom and Ewell.
Before he goes he turns to Garth
"I think strength in numbers is usually the best approach in this situation. I am going to back Strom - will you come too?"
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:
dmw71 wrote:Ewell, please roll a d100 for me.
PM forthcoming.

---
saalaria wrote:It occurs to Kaltar that a show of force is usually the best way to avoid problems with non-good humanoids so he too steps out following Strom and Ewell.
Strom and Ewell continue their march towards the humanoid camp and are quickly joined by Kaltar fall in line behind the pair.

Garth, I will leave you behind the falls until directed otherwise (but will easily insert you into the ranks).

---

I think things are about to get very interesting. ;)
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Nuke66 »

Garth stands and ponders the situation deeply. In the end he decides that if he stays put he will be too far away to aid his new companions.

"OK, I'm coming." The druid follows the cleric.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by dmw71 »

Nuke66 wrote:Garth stands and ponders the situation deeply. In the end he decides that if he stays put he will be too far away to aid his new companions.

"OK, I'm coming." The druid follows the cleric.
Garth joins Kaltar and the pair falls in line behind Ewell and Strom.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Stonjuz »

Slow and patient. Shannigans waits. Seeing the drum party outnumbers this newly formed group, the halfing freezes, wishing the more experienced archer was in front, but knows that no further undetectable advancement is possible here. Seeing that Garth is also exposed and walking to the drum party, he half rolls over notches his shortbow. Trying to hear any distant words over the sound of his own breath and heartbeat.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

PM sent.

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”