Riverveins

hedgeknight
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Riverveins

#21 Post by Computer +1 »

Lets see if we can hoist someone up to figure out what we are under. Yarl commands And someone check that door. Traps first then see if it can be opened.. While those two tasks get underway Yarl checks in on the most wounded. Cookie?
Oak? The rest a' you lot? You dead?
he says in a joking way. Pax! Well done keeping this lot movin' he says as an attempt to bolster the nerves of the Rat.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by hedgeknight »

Big Eyes...

Lets see if we can hoist someone up to figure out what we are under. Yarl commands And someone check that door. Traps first then see if it can be opened..
Rats respond, a few moving toward the door and three others preparing to hoist another up to the grate.

While those two tasks get underway, Yarl checks in on the most wounded. Cookie? Oak? The rest a' you lot? You dead? he says in a joking way. Cookie groans in response and puts her little hand in Yarl's. "...hurts," she manages to whisper, her big eyes blinking up at Blacktongue. "Wh-where's Oak?"
"He's right here and he's fine," Skipper says, giving Yarl a sideways glance and a shrug.

Yarl looks in the Half-Elf's direction, while the Rats hoisting their companion up to the grate are struggling.
"Hold still, dammit!" Bobbi says, holding one of Skye's feet in her hands.
"Yeah, quit yer squirmin'" comes a growl from Skeez, holding Skye's other foot.
"Don't drop me!" Skye hisses, wobbling as she tries to straighten.
"We won't if ye stop squirmin'!" Skeez says, sweat running down his face.
"Alright, Mouse. Get up there and take a peek," Bobbi commands, and the young Rat named Mouse, climbs up on Skeez's shoulders and then climbs up Skye's back to reach the grate.

Mouse ain't called that for nothing, being one of the smallest of the Rats, which makes him invaluable when getting into a place that is locked up tight. He's also pretty handy for squeezing through tight spaces.
"I think we're near the wall just inside Tumbledown; likely near Cliff Gate." Mouse squeeks, his face pressed into the grate. "I think I see - "
"Eyes. I see big eyes!" Skye interrupts. "They're looking right at me!"
"What the fu - ahh!" Skeez says...just as a giant toad erupts from the vegetation and barrels into the gang, sending the Rats flying! Bobbi and Skye land among the vegetation and muck, while Mouse hangs onto the grate, feet dangling in the air.

"What...the actual...fuck?!?" Skipper hisses, as all eyes gape in disbelief. The toad has Skeez halfway in its mouth!

ACTIONS!!
Attachments
Giant Toad.jpg
Giant Toad.jpg (178.8 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl is as shocked as everyone with the turn of events. FUCK YOU!!! he screams as he leaps at the toad and swings overhand with his club.

He is afraid of stabbing the toad and potentially hitting Skeez so he follows the overhead swing with a sideways slice of short sword.

Spit out Skeez you cunt! he screams at the toad.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

I'm assuming Oak is still unconscious. If so, this would be his third successful death saving throw so he would be at least stable.

Rolls
Death Save (10): [1d20]=10
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by Computer +1 »

dmw71 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:32 am
I'm assuming Oak is still unconscious. If so, this would be his third successful death saving throw so he would be at least stable.

Rolls
Death Save (10): [1d20]=10
I thought we stabilized everyone, no?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by dmw71 »

Oak struggles mightily, but does labor to position himself between the toad and Cookie.

"Stay behind me, kid," he mutters with great effort, knowing full well there's little he can actually do to defend the poor lass other than offer himself up as a larger treat.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by hedgeknight »

Yum, Yum, Gimme Some!

While the other Rats are stunned into catatonia by seeing Skeez in the giant toad's maw, their leader is not.
"FUCK YOU!" Yarl screams, leaping at the toad and whacking it on the back of its head! The toad croaks loudly in its throat, throws back its head and promptly swallows Skeez whole!

"Spit out Skeez you cunt!" Yarl screams again, slicing the giant amphibian along its side. The beast flinches and turns toward Yarl just as an arrow digs into its stomach. Yarl glances to see Trueshot, reaching for another arrow.
But the giant toad has other plans than being a pincushion > it leaps at Yarl and attacks! It crunches the leader of the Rats in its powerful jaws, grinding against his flesh!

Oak and Cookie watch this battle with looks of disbelief and horror on their faces.

ACTIONS!!

Yarl - down 16 hp
Oak - stable at 0 hp
Cookie - stable at 0 hp
Trueshot down 4 hp
Winter is coming...
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Computer +1 »

Yarl knows he is in trouble. The adrenaline flowing in his body is blocking some of the pain but nothing can hide the pressure he feels where it hurts. Grunting with the effort he tries his best to leverage his body to stab at the toad with this left hand.

He tries again to wack at the toad with his club even if the first solid hit didn't seem to have a great effect.

Its all or nothing now Yarl thinks as he fights. Everything he has touched has been shit for days, he can't let everyone get killed now.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by hedgeknight »

Seeing their kingpin in dire straits, the Rivington Rats leap at the giant toad, jabbing and stabbing, whacking and thwacking! The toad croaks and spits out Yarl, who gets to his feet and drives his sword into the toad's side! He then smashes it in the side of the head and the beast drops to the mud...dead.
Breathing heavily, the Rats look around cautiously, expecting more toads or stirges or something else in this hell hole. But nothing leaps out of the shadows or the sewer vegetation. There is a large depression in the mud where the toad was originally camouflaged...
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by dmw71 »

Oak lets out an audible sigh once the threat from the toad has been eliminated.

"See," he says weakly, turning towards Cookie. "I told you I'd keep you safe -- this time."
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Computer +1 »

I'm sorry I screwed up Yarl's actions. I misunderstood and didnt get that he was in the toad's mouth!!! DAMNNNNN!!! FU Kermit!

Yarl is bent over, breathing heavy and in pain. Get that door open we gotta get the fuck outta here. he commands between breaths. Fuck Sticks. Fuck the Faithless. Fuck the sewers.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by hedgeknight »

The Rats go to work on the door and in a few seconds, it creaks open and reveals a set of stairs leading up to a grate above where the streets are already dark and foggy...
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by dmw71 »

A night of comfortable rest in his own bed would do him well so Oak is hopeful the plan is to return to the surface.

He keeps his wishes to himself, however, and remains silent.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Computer +1 »

We got to get ours looked at. Lets get up on the street and find the hospital.. Yarl says and starts up the stairs. How the Rats are now supposed to tangle with the Fist he has no idea. He hopes the crew that went above ground made out better and is in better shape.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by hedgeknight »

Waiting for folks to pass overhead, the Rats, breathing heavily with hearts pounding anxiously, lift the grate and climb out of the sewer tunnel. They find themselves in a dark street between two buildings...to their immediate right is Cliffgate...leading back into the neighborhood of Tumbledown and the cemetary. Across the street are the unmistakable blue doors of Harborside Hospital.
Right now, the street is eerily quiet...

"Where the hell is everybody?" Trueshot asks, bow in hand, peering into the foggy street.
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

Oak waits patiently, doing his best to mask the extent of his injuries. "We're almost there," he says to Cookie confidently, despite his utter lack of awareness as to their location or situation.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by hedgeknight »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:43 am Oak waits patiently, doing his best to mask the extent of his injuries. "We're almost there," he says to Cookie confidently, despite his utter lack of awareness as to their location or situation.
Cookie nods weakly, slipping her hand into his. "We almost d-died, didn't we Oak? I bet Yarl saved us, don't you?"
Winter is coming...
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by dmw71 »

Oak accepts Cookie's hand into his own, and is thankful for the extra stabilization she provides.

"I'm sure he did," he agrees with her guess that Yarl was responsible for saving them back in the caves.

"It's a bit doughy, on account of my having fallen into the water, but here -- " Oak reaches into his pocket and produces an extra biscuit he saved from their visit to the Smilin' Boar Inn. "I know how much you liked this, so I took an extra one for you."

"For your strength."

After a moment.

"Maybe we'll find our way back there someday?"
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by Computer +1 »

If this ain't a shitshow then I'm a fucking gnome Yarl whispers harshly to Trueshot. He looks back over at the motley crew. We ain't got a fucking choice neither, we won't survive the trip back.. The silence is deafening.

True, give cover until the wounded get across then haul ass. Rest of you lot, those that can move help them thats slow. We gotta get inside fast. Me and Mouse will cross first and make sure the door is open. Once we signal then get over an in. Fast and quiet. Got it?.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by dmw71 »

Oak nods affirmatively at Yarl's plan and gives Cookie's hand a gentle, reassuring squeeze.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”