Helix: Mercenary Guild.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: Mercenary Guild.

#21 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

You talk business with Osen. After you chime the bell he calls a line of guys practicing swords strokes and footwork.

He draws a line in the sand at their feet. "You know the risk men. Hired swords, risking life and limb for scant reward. Sven here wishes to hire. Amos vouches for him as a fair gaffer, equal in dealing with each man, willing to stand in battle and lead from the front. Fabian's bell tolls a testimony that not all ambitions can be fulfilled in this life.

First man stepping across the line can bodyguard the young mage in his next trip. You need not exert more risk than that save doing your duty to the guild and to yourselves."

After a few seconds of consideration, a rough looking man steps across the sand drawn line.

Redruth, "I will go. I was a soldier in the war and can graft hardship without complaint, take orders and stand my ground. My shield is good and my sword arm better." he says by way of introduction.

As far as official paperwork goes:
Amos is a 40/10 (C2/T1) costs 40gp hiring insurance, 3gp daily wages, 10sp in admin fees.
Redruth listed as 10/10 (F1) costs 10gp, 2gp wages and 10sp fees.

Total: 61gp for a two day expedition.
Last edited by Spearmint on Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#22 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven chokes up a little when the only offer reminds him of Steban. He shakes his head. “I’m sorry, I don’t….you remind……I think you might be over qualified.”

He pulls Osen aside away from the fighters. “Sorry, but Redruth is the spitting image of the man we lost. I don’t think he would be a good fit for our psyche right now.”

“Do you have anyone similar to Brother Fabian? We could use all the spiritual aid we can get.”

Scratch the fighter idea.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Osen looks displeased at the sudden about-turn from Sven.

He turns to looks out the office window studying who may be in the courtyard, "Clerics? Yggites' we have one or two. That backslidden paladin over there looking for redemption. Good with oratory and bashing brains, not so good around mead though. Then there is Truro. It will be take it or leave it with him. Last one on the books until more come back. He's young, fancies himself as an itinerant preacher. Never been bloodied except on the nose by a cabbage. But he is fiery and if his faith is as strong as his enthusiasm, then he might command a greater wrath than Fabian."

He takes you to one side as the men in the yard shuffle about. "You know it is not good to ask a man to step forward then make him step back. I hire them, fire them, train them. They earn their living and dying by the sword. Men's men. If you want choir boys and commandments, you should really appeal to Othar"

He signals the youth over. You are pretty much the same age. He has a shaven head, brown hooded habit and carries a Quarterstaff and flail.

"I can heal the sick and by Ygg's grace I will learn to cast out demons and raise the dead. I will sign on for a daily wage and give a tithe offering of treasure to the altar in Thanksgiving."

(Truro would equate to a hireling taking a 1/2 share of XP and 1/2 share of treasure. He would be less proactive than Fabian was in terms of searching, scouting, taking initiative)

Osen lets you make your choice and prepares the ledgers. Cost for the young cleric same as the fighter.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#24 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven nods solemnly.

“I understand, and it won’t happen again, sir.”

Sven pays the 51 gold coins and signs the paperwork, deciding to take on the new cleric at a half share.

“Do you know Amos, young Truro? He will help us show you the ropes once we set out.”

-51gp
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Moriartus visits the guild's office to formally complete the paperwork for Two-Bird's contract and inform Osen of the Bennerjake twins fate. "Although the deposits cover this eventuality in their contract, I still bear responsibility as their former leader. As they may yet still live, you have a promise from me. If I should discover the harpy's lair and it is within my power, I shall do my utmost to rescue them."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Osen greets Moriartus in the gatehouse reception. The news delivered is not welcome.

"A fate worse than death though they know it not. 'Thick in the arm and thick in the head' we all jested about the twins. I guess the harpies will see how thick they really are. Well, let's hope they do the guild proud!"

He goes to the courtyard to ring a tolling bell. The dull clangs cause the training men to halt practice and gather in a moment of silence as men of their company are presumed dead.

Two-Birds return is greeted with applause, especially as she still bears the blackened bruises of grappling with Dougal.

She is contracted to the guild but may be hired again if available. +14gp is returned to you, the deposit for the twins being siphoned off as an insurance payout to their next of kin.

With the loss of the twins your hiring reputation gets damaged, not least by the hirelings who may be requested to follow you. There is a balance as Two-Birds, despite her appearance, has no other injury and appears mentally sound (the Barrow Moor has a reputation for messing with heads as your conscience already tells you), plus she has a share of gemstones which cover many days pay.

You can chat here in regard to his previous conversation with you or depart with you contracts fulfilled.

Osen accepts your promise and apologises and makes no more of the situation. You get the feeling that he routinely deals with such collateral damage though it affects his business kudos with other village council members.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Quonundrum »

Motiartus

Moriartus silently nods his head in acknowledgment and without another word leaves the guild office.
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus
May 3 - morning

Moriartus strides into the Mercenary guild's main office with the demeanour of a military officer, however, his eyes betray the telltale red of a man who is recovering from an excess consumption of alcohol. "Mr. Osen." He addresses the guildmaster with a curt salute of his staff. "I am planning an expedition into the barrow mounds, to leave on the 10th. I have a solid lead on the location of the harpy that enchanted the Bennerjake twins, although this is only an exploratory and reconnaisance mission."

"I would, of course, wish to hire Miss Two-Birds. I am also interested in hiring another cleric ... for unit cohesion, one preferrably of the Angarach persuaion. A guide and a porter will complete my request. I expect to return no later than the 12th."

Charisma (17): [4d6]=11
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Osen welcomes Moriartus into the reception.

"Taken quite a fancy to Two-Birds have you? Can't blame you myself. Able girl all round. Cause you any trouble last time? "

He pulls out a thick file from his desk, opening the pages and reading the ledgers. "She will be back from her ramblings in a few days, but she is contracted to no one else, save me off course. I don't believe she has graduated further priestly studies so she is on the same terms.

Clerics, clerics. Everyone wants one but no one goes to church. You would think I run an abbey not a fighting guild.

Amos and Fabian both booked out yesterday to the young mage fellow. Godspeed their safe return."
He checks his retinue and looks at those in the yard muttering.

"Some young fellows, over there. Not tested. They came adventuring but were found wanting. Decided to sign on for the season for a regular wage than trust in their own luck. I need another week putting them through their paces. Drill, order, duty. They carry the good name of the guild as well as their gods. If one is ready, I will sign him on.

Labourers and torchbearers we have plenty. Rickford has been where you are going a couple of times. A survivor then at least. Duval is a new here. Came from over the mountains. Be good to get his boots mucky."

You pass through to the courtyard. GBH puts a few men through training drills at various close quarters dummies. A line up of bare chested new mercenaries are at attention as he goes along and paints a bloody red stripe on each of them.

"Here, you take out the throat. Rip it clean through. This spot through the ribs to the heart. Stab, twist, pull out. Try not to get your swords caught on the ribs.

Artery here in the groin. A man will bleed to death ..."

Two men are called over for introduction.

"Make sure you have your Last Will and Testaments in order. I am seconding you to Moriartus for a scouring of the mounds in a few days time."

The two men, nod their acknowledgement. One is similar age to yourself, wearing a studded leather brigandine and carrying two short swords in his belt. The younger one wears a thick hide padded armour, his head covered under a bearskin cowl. He has a spear, long and flexible like a weavers rod with a sharp edge and a short bow made from some antler horn.

both of these men are listed as 1st level fighters.
They would come with a basic bedroll and pack and their own kit.

you can hire them now if you wish and ask any more questions
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Rickford. Duval." Moriartus steps before each man, reviews their posture and nods his approval. "I shall hire both, Mr. Osen. I will collect them at dawn on the 10th. I will also stop by a day or two earlier to check if any of your clerics in training will be prepared for an engagement."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Osen draws up the contracts, admin fees and civil surcharges.

Hirelings:
Two-Birds 20/10. +2gp daily wage, 1/2 share XP and full share trove.

Torchbearers:
Rickford 10/10 +1gp daily wage
Duval 10/10. +1gp daily wage
No xp share but 1/2 share of treasure.

availability for cleric 1-2 in 1d6
Cleric availability [1d6]=4

No cleric available.

Total cost: 47gp, 10sp, (two days wages paid in advance).
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Quonundrum »

47gp, 10sp deducted.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Osen continues to train his hirelings and awaits a report from his spies sent to observe suspicious activity happening at Bresnan's ranch.

Other activity advances the calender to May 11th.
torkill
Tracker
Tracker

#34 Post by torkill »

Eldon was supposed to find a cleric for hire so he headed toward the Mercenary Guild. He never had dealt with hired mercenaries before, but assumed they could be a rather rowdy bunch, so he opted to enter the hall with Sarge in tow. He waves toward the large man that appears to be in charge and approaches. Sarge sits next to the halfling and scratches his ear with his hind foot. "Hi there. I think I am in the ight place. At least this is where the old woman in the street told me to come to find adventurers for hire."

The halfling shuffles nervously and glances around at the various men-at-arms. "You see, a group of us found a lucrative cache of valuables and we plan to retrieve. We have plenty of brave men that can handle themselves with a blade or bow, but seems none know how to deal with any injuries besides a few bandages and several days rest. I was hoping you have people amongst your ranks that might be trained in those areas that would be willing to join us for a few days."

CHA (14): [4d6]=18
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

'Grievous Bodily Harm', the half-orc enforcer greets the young halfling. He smiles through his prominent half-orc teeth as Eldon announces his plans to 'retrieve a lucrative cache'.

He hushes the enthusiastic client. "Walls have ears and shadows have daggers.

Now let me see."

You take a seat in the reception while he looks through a ledger. "Men of faith are in much demand but short supply. We have mourned the loss of one brother just a week ago. Fighting men we have aplenty. Good lads, strong in the arm. That couple over there for example. Tried and tested. Look at the size of him, like an ox."

He points through the back window into the courtyard where several men train at the tilts and dummies. Two figures catch your eye, a halfling with a feral glint in his eyes and a half-orc, the latter of broad shouldered physique. these are Fapp and Knatchbull.

"They are not affiliated as such with the guild but Osen speaks highly of them. You could chat with them in the tavern and come to a more personal arrangement as they will be leaving us later.

But for hiring, by the book, I could offer your one of the cadets. Come this way."

due to a combination of the failed Charisma check and your inexperience; you are not a known customer, the choice is lessened by skill level and availability.

GBH takes Eldon to a group of figures who are cracking rocks like a chain gang then lifting them to carry around an assault course. It is training rather than punishment. After a whistle is blown they line up to attention. They look young, keen but inexperienced. "Don't let looks deceive you. They are not choir boys. They know their craft to a level. 'Fingers' can pick a lock or two if you need, 'Knuckles' can, well you can guess his traits. 'Sundance', she can set passions ablaze.", he nods and the raven haired woman points to a straw dummy and it suddenly ignites in flames. 'Drums', a rotund dwarf with his beard braided in finger bones, 'spider' Sid, a shaven headed youth with a spider web tattoo on his cranium and 'Spades', a former stable boy looking for adventure complete the lineup.

Eldon, take a pick of one or ask a question.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#36 Post by tarlyn »

Fapp

Fapp along with his pal Knatchbull train. The halfling practices riding, of all things, a Worg! If that is not strange enough, the beast appears to

listen to the little halfling and they both seem to have some sort of rapport as crazy as that may seem to any onlookers.

He disembarks the beast and stands in front of it. He bows with respect and holding the Worg's face in his hands, he lowers the beasts

head to his forehead, both touching. Smiling he scratches the Worg in all it's favorite places.

Having learned to Command it to rest, he does so and the Worg lays down near its new "friend". and yawning it closes its eyes, napping.

Fapp unsheathes his Scimitar and begins practicing with it.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Spearmint »

The Mercenary Guild

Fapp & Knatchbull post your expedition reports here. The better the report, the greater reward above the initial payment.

After a week staying at the Mercenary Guild, both characters exit their mentorship and return to the tavern. The warg securely stabled in the guild militia kennels. You can ride it to the barrows but it needs a lot of taming to control its feral nature.
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#38 Post by GreyWolfVT »

LordKane77 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:03 pm
Spearmint wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:36 am Eldon is concluding mercenary hire at the guild. You have negotiated Tamson as well to track.

I mentioned that Fapp and Knatchbull would be present in the tavern, so Savant or Dalin could approach them in regard to joining you.
The gentlemen above are NPCs, right? Probably from the guild? I guess it barely matters, Savant would approach the same way anyway, lol!

Savant

Savant fluidly moves to where Fapp and Knatchbull are and puts down drinks in front of them, a slightly finer pour than they were drinking, and speaks with the brevity he has grown accustomed to using.....

"Gentlemen. One day trip. Barrows and back. Looking for two, someone needs to handle a horse. There will only be a fight if it comes to us. I have been told you two may be interested?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by tarlyn »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:26 am
LordKane77 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:03 pm
Spearmint wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:36 am Eldon is concluding mercenary hire at the guild. You have negotiated Tamson as well to track.

I mentioned that Fapp and Knatchbull would be present in the tavern, so Savant or Dalin could approach them in regard to joining you.
The gentlemen above are NPCs, right? Probably from the guild? I guess it barely matters, Savant would approach the same way anyway, lol!

Savant

Savant fluidly moves to where Fapp and Knatchbull are and puts down drinks in front of them, a slightly finer pour than they were drinking, and speaks with the brevity he has grown accustomed to using.....

"Gentlemen. One day trip. Barrows and back. Looking for two, someone needs to handle a horse. There will only be a fight if it comes to us. I have been told you two may be interested?"
Fapp looks at Knatchbull then back to Savant. "Sure we would be interested. I do have my own ride, however. It is a Warg".

Waiting Knatchbull's reply he observes Savant's reaction to his choice of steed. Sipping his drink he nods approvingly at Savant "Thanks for the drink by the

way."
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#40 Post by LordKane77 »

tarlyn wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:11 am Fapp looks at Knatchbull then back to Savant. "Sure we would be interested. I do have my own ride, however. It is a Warg".

Waiting Knatchbull's reply he observes Savant's reaction to his choice of steed. Sipping his drink he nods approvingly at Savant "Thanks for the drink by the way."
Savant

Savant nods.....
"We cleared a barrow with many clay urns. They're probably worth over 25gp each. We only brought back what we could carry. We're making an urn run. We'll sell the batch, split the funds evenly minus horse supplies and guide fees. Though to be clear, one even split will go to the person loaning us a the horse who was there on the last run.
The horse is now outfitted to carry more than last time. As long as your dirty beast is an enemy of my enemies, then it is welcome. Perhaps it could be outfitted to carry extra urns? In any case, we leave tomorrow morning."

Fyi, I'd still like two mercenaries to care for the horse. This run is for speed and gold, maybe a bigger group will deter small bands of would-be problems. Fingers crossed.

Also, I don't technically know if it's "tomorrow morning", it's whenever everyone has all their hit points back, which is like tomorrow or the next day. I'm sure Spearmint is keeping track.

Return to “Settlement: Helix”