Off Topic all things OOC

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Off Topic all things OOC

#181 Post by Dram »

Thank you guys. Hoping to get back on track with at least posting twice a week.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#182 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hey that makes 2 of us. I have been better at posting as a player than a DM lately. Granted work decided to hire me right at the time of some audit and inventory needs and my boss the former in this position didn't share some information until two weeks ago and now i have to spend my time running around making sure his inventory notation is accurate. :roll:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#183 Post by Scott308 »

Hey, you had us use milestone progression but then handed out XP. Do you want us to change to XP or keep milestone? If we keep milestone, you don't need to tell us our XP when we earn it, just tell us when we level.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
GreyWolfVT

#184 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Scott308 wrote:Hey, you had us use milestone progression but then handed out XP. Do you want us to change to XP or keep milestone? If we keep milestone, you don't need to tell us our XP when we earn it, just tell us when we level.
Yeah I'm a newbie 5E DM my mistake. Keep it Milestone. Ignore the XP part of the log. :oops:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Rex »

Do we level up then or wait?
Scott308

#186 Post by Scott308 »

Wait. That wouldn't be nearly enough to level us.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#187 Post by GreyWolfVT »

exactly it's not enough to level so no you don't level Rex.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Rex »

OK, wasn't sure. I fixed it back to Milestone, I had already changed it to XP.
GreyWolfVT

#189 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yeah sorry that was my mistake old habits and so forth.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Rex »

Not a big deal, all straight now.
GreyWolfVT

#191 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'm just going to chalk it up to me being a newbie DM for 5e and not accurately relaying information. :)

Scott308

#192 Post by Scott308 »

As some of you know, this weekend is Gamehole Con, so I will be busy Wednesday-Sunday and will probably not have opportunity to check in until Sunday night, as pretty much every waking moment during the con is spent gaming.

Scott308

#193 Post by Scott308 »

Cwreando,

You are doing your checks wrong. Whatever your bonus to your skill is you add to your d20 roll. The higher, the better. With checks like this, a 1 or 20 don't signify an auto failure or success, they are just a number. For many checks, such as trying to find a hidden object or seeing if you know a piece of information about an item or person, the DM sets a difficulty level- 10, 20, etc. If you reach the target number you succeed. For contested checks, such as if you try to sneak past a guard without being spotted, you each roll the appropriate skill check and whoever has the higher number wins- you sneak by successfully if you win, or the guard notices you if they win.

Gone are the days of rolling under your skill number. In 5e, you always want to roll high.

I debated sending this in a PM, but decided to post publicly as there are a number of others who are still learning 5e, and I thought this could help them, as well. I don't want you (or anyone else) to feel I called you out. If we were sitting at a table playing, I would have leaned over and explained to you or any other player that was unsure of something. I still occasionally ask even more experienced players for clarification on something.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by tarlyn »

Scott308 wrote:Cwreando,

You are doing your checks wrong. Whatever your bonus to your skill is you add to your d20 roll. The higher, the better. With checks like this, a 1 or 20 don't signify an auto failure or success, they are just a number. For many checks, such as trying to find a hidden object or seeing if you know a piece of information about an item or person, the DM sets a difficulty level- 10, 20, etc. If you reach the target number you succeed. For contested checks, such as if you try to sneak past a guard without being spotted, you each roll the appropriate skill check and whoever has the higher number wins- you sneak by successfully if you win, or the guard notices you if they win.

Gone are the days of rolling under your skill number. In 5e, you always want to roll high.

I debated sending this in a PM, but decided to post publicly as there are a number of others who are still learning 5e, and I thought this could help them, as well. I don't want you (or anyone else) to feel I called you out. If we were sitting at a table playing, I would have leaned over and explained to you or any other player that was unsure of something. I still occasionally ask even more experienced players for clarification on something.
So checks in 5e are like checks in 3.5 then?
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#195 Post by Cwreando »

Thanks. I’ll reroll them as +5s then or if the DM wants we can keep the rolls and just add +5 ito the actual roll #.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
GreyWolfVT

#196 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I can add +5 to the rolls you already have posted no worries.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#197 Post by Cwreando »

Ok. Sounds good.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze
Scott308

#198 Post by Scott308 »

tarlyn wrote:So checks in 5e are like checks in 3.5 then?
I'm not familiar with 3-4, so I have no idea. Sorry.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#199 Post by tarlyn »

You roll a d20 and higher is better
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
GreyWolfVT

#200 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I've got a big question to ask of everyone. How would you all feel if I had this game archived. I feel like i jumped into something here that I am not quite ready to run that being "5th Edition" granted I have a great resource in Scott and Dave. But I just feel ill prepared to be DMing this. How badly would it upset you all "The Players" if I do this and maybe down the road revive it or possibly just let it fall to the wayside? Unless some other DM wants to run it that I am fine with as well.

Return to “Deadly Delves: Reign of Ruin (5e)”