It Starts in a Village in a Clearing - Active IC Thread

Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

Re: It Starts in a Village in a Clearing - Active IC Thread

#181 Post by Anivar »

Vane pats the duergar on the head, That wasn't so hard, now was it.

After untying the dwarf, he pulls out a jug of spirits I could do with good drink, a full belly, and a nap. and begins to enjoy some much needed rest.
Ooops...
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Grognardsw »

Kargoth the cleric / longhouse

Before the party disperses, the dwarf cleric clenches his fist and mutters in dwarven under his breath. The duergar should be still more helpful. A good whack in the head should make him more talkative, Kargoth thinks, before reminding himself of his priestly virtues.  

"Eldrek!" calls Kargoth in dwarven. "I would have more words with the dirt-eating shite-breath duerger. You know its tongue better than I, and your... sparkling personality may move him to speak. Vane, feel free to join us!"

Assuming his dwarf comrade joins him, Kargoth takes the bound duerger to a private room or outside for questioning. Between Vane (if there) and the two dwarfs, they engage in what tactics are necessary to persuade the duergar to talk.

"Clangeddin is not the most patient god," begins Kargoth. "Especially with your kind. Now why did the magician recruit you, and how many of you? What was his plot! Why do the duergar participate? Besides morlocks, what other creatures of Darkness are in league with this plot? Does the evil plan continue without the magician? How extensive are the tunnels under Allathurion? From what location are these evil efforts being directed?"

Kargoth will leave the room if necessary, to fetch drinks, should Eldrek and Vane (if there) need privacy to effectively persuade the duergar.
Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#184 Post by Anivar »

Vane doesn't understand dwarven but i'm going to assume he gets the general idea.
Guessing at Kargoth's plan, Vane turns to follow his dwarven companions. Ya know, I was hoping to relax a bit before doing this... But, I guess its a good a time as any. It will give the magic folk a chance to chat.
Ooops...
Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#185 Post by Blazeguard »

An evil grin spreads across Eldrek's face. "There's not many things that will keep me from my ale but in this case I'll make an exception." He unsheathes his sword and 'encourages' the dark dwarf along to the 'interrogation room'. Eldrek knows a few fighter tricks and will not hold back in his questioning. Depending on how forthcoming he is the dwarf will survive the ordeal less a finger or three and with a creatively placed collection of bruises.
Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#186 Post by Fearghus »

Leothric's Longhouse

When Brezebar reveals the items, the Magician asks, "From the Pariah?". He and Leothric move near Brezebar to better see the dagger and amulet. He continues speaking without waiting for a reply, "Yes, it must be from him. The black handled dagger, his athame. And such a symbol as on that amulet has meaning and power for those that walk in darkness. Leothric, your cloak".

The young man hands his cloak to the Magician who lays it across the nearby table. "Carefully place the athame and amulet on the cloak. The blacksmith's fires, with a proper blessing, will be enough to reduce them to uselessness. I will recompense you, fellow Magician, with a scroll from my own collection". He stands aside for Brezebar to relinquish the items, motioning his hand to the cloak.

At the same time, Kargoth, Eldrek and Vane drag the duergar out of doors. Leothric looks from the Magician to the dwarves, dumbfounded by their brash removal of the captive. None of the men-at-arms move to interfere, not wanting to draw the ire of the fae men. The Magician of Allathurion, more concerned with the athame and amulet, merely shrugs without looking to his lord or the dwarves. Perhaps he thinks it is bet to let dwarves settle matters between dwarves.

Outside

After some motivation from Eldrek and Vane, the duergar answers Kargoth's inquiries. "The Horrors of the Deep have awakened. The might of the City Below stands ready to march, and there is nothing you can do to stop its advance. The dead arcanist meant to take the boy captive, force his father's hand, and assume leadership of this peasant's hold. His removal only delays the inevitable. Choose now, fall before the might of the duergar, or live only to lose yourselves before the coming terror".
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#188 Post by NJWilliam »

Gutram, Ranger

When there is an opportunity, Gutram will ask the magician and Leothric whether they can read and decipher the runes on the ancient blades.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#189 Post by Fearghus »

Leothric's Longhouse

After Brezebar relinquishes the athame and amulet, the Magician wraps the cloak about the items while saying, "I will secure these in my tower until first light. At that time I will take them to the blacksmith to be destroyed in his forge". He gathers the bundled items over his shoulder and says to Brezebar, "Wait but a few moments and I will return with the scroll as promised".

The Magician leaves the Longhouse as Gutram presents the blades for inspection. Leothric admits that his mastery of the Lawful tongue is lacking, but Gilseax stands ready to translate the runic inscriptions. He unsheathes each of the blades and lays them across the table. Each bears the triquetra in the pommel which Gilseax traces with his finger softly. "These blades were made for a purpose, but their lore is lost to me. They read as such: Truth in Iron, Illuminator, and Valor". He backs away from the table and the blades so that Gutram might inspect or recover them at his leisure.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#190 Post by NJWilliam »

Gutram, Ranger

Gutram thanks Gilseax and takes a closer look at each of the swords in turn, now with the knowledge of the runic words on the blades.
He makes note of which was the one that he had been using, straps it onto his waist, and returns the others to his pack.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Grognardsw »

Kargoth / outside
After some motivation from Eldrek and Vane, the duergar answers Kargoth's inquiries. "The Horrors of the Deep have awakened. The might of the City Below stands ready to march, and there is nothing you can do to stop its advance. The dead arcanist meant to take the boy captive, force his father's hand, and assume leadership of this peasant's hold. His removal only delays the inevitable. Choose now, fall before the might of the duergar, or live only to lose yourselves before the coming terror".
“We choose the Light, duergar scum,” says Kargoth, about to hit the evil creature then spitting on it instead. “We’re done with you for now.”

Kargoth, Eldrek and Vane rejoin their companions in the longhouse. Kargoth has a late dinner with the group, sharing what the duergar said.

“It seems we must take the battle to this City Below,” says Kargoth. “I only wish we had an army of light to stand ready against their march, if that truly be what it is. I have heard vague legends of such a City Below in my youth, but I am not familiar with whatever ‘Horrors of the Deep’ the duergar mentions. Perhaps the good Magician or Friar Gilseax may now of such things.”

Kargoth thinks on matters further while drinking. On his fifth tankard of ale, he offers up some addled thoughts: “Perhaps we could use the captured duergar to our favor. Brezebar, do you have enchantments that could charm the creature, and have it reveal tunnel path to the City Below or other useful information? Perhaps it could be your dog to sniff its way through the tunnels to its home.”

“The Alluthurions should collapse any tunnels leading under their town, to stop or slow any Dark incursion. Other humans and fey in and about Alluthurion should be warned and prepared. Perhaps guard and scout patrols established, and underground searches done to find tunnels newly dug by Dark forces.”

The dwarf acolyte yawns, for it has been a long day. He retires to his room, thanks and prays to Clangleddin, sleeps in late, awakens, prays for divine spells, eats a hearty breakfast, and joins his comrades for the new day’s action.
Kargoth will pray for two Cure Light Wound spells, as he can have two spells at 2nd level.
Anivar
Tracker
Tracker

#192 Post by Anivar »

Brezebar, do you have enchantments that could charm the creature, and have it reveal tunnel path to the City Below or other useful information?
With a smile and a wink towards Eldrek, Vane interjects I don't believe that would require an enchantment..., chuckling.
Ooops...
Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#193 Post by Blazeguard »

Eldrek's 'workout' gave him quite an appetite so he made sure to make the most of his host's hospitality. After a couple heaping platefuls of food and several mugs of ale, he retired for what was left of the night. His dreams though were filled with strange images of duergar and other evil creatures rising up and consuming the village and he awoke in the morning more determined than ever to rid the town of this scourge. For some reason he also got the feeling that in some way he was more 'experienced' now. ;)
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by thirdkingdom »

Brezebar the Magician

Brezebar waits somewhat impatiently for the other magician to return with the promised scrolls. He drums his fingers on the table before him.
Fearghus
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#195 Post by Fearghus »

Leothric's Longhouse

The Magician returns to the longhouse, following in behind Kargoth, Eldrek and Vane. He proceeds directly to Brezebar and extends a leather case bound by a single thong. "Within you will find three spells. I trust you will use them to further the safety of Allathurion. The first will allow you to pass barriers that the mightiest of men could not. The next will allow you to see the unseen. The last, and likely most valuable, will allow you see into the hearts of men and know if their intent is evil".

The Magician looks Brezebar over for a moment and then states, "It is late and much has happened. I am retiring for the remainder of the evening".

Gilseax also departs, his destination the chapel, but not before thanking the group for coming to his aid. Leothric leaves two men to guard the duergar out of doors while he and the remainder of his company sleep.

The six of you rest in the comfort and warmth of the Longhouse. You awake refreshed and ready to continue about your way. Some of the rumors heard the night before come to mind, and make a little more sense. Still others as pointless as when first heard. Your more pressing matter is the duergar captive.
All characters recover 1 HP per 8 hours of rest, or sleeping the night. The rules are 1d3 per day, but I'd like to speed this up and just give 1 per 8 hours or 3 for a day, etc.
Actions?
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by thirdkingdom »

Brezebar the Magician

Brezebar wakes and studied his spellbook, memorizing the spells of sleep and charm. He then proceeds to cast charm upon the duergar. If the dweomer is indeed effective, he will try and convey to the deep dwarf, using an elaborate pantomime since he speaks not the language, that his companions who do are to be considered friends as well.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#197 Post by NJWilliam »

Gutram, Ranger

Gutram closely inspects the duergar's clothing and belongings for traces of where he may have recently been, including type and color of soil, dirt, or sand, and any other organic matter and or trace of foliage or fungi.

Gutram will also track down whetstones, both coarse and fine, and spend some careful time bringing the edge back to each of the ancient blades, as well as his other edged equipment.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Grognardsw »

Kargoth / longhouse

Kargoth the Acolyte awakens the next morning as Kargoth the Adept. After his devotionals, he eats a hearty breakfast of ham, grits, goat cheese, peasant bread and ale, followed by another ale. He feeds Drog scraps under the table.

"What say ye all?" exclaims Kargoth to the group at the breakfast table. "I vote we pick the duergar's mind a final time, provision for tunnel exploration, and take the battle to the Dark!"

While other party members attend to their business after breakfast, Kargoth seeks out Friar Gilseax. "Good Friar, I was wondering if you could do another priest a favor. I be the only man of the cloth in our large troop, and we will face many dangers in our upcoming battles against evil in defense of Allathurion. Might you have any godly healing potions that could help us in our perilous journeys ahead?"
I assume Drog the dog gains back a hit point as well after sleeping the night?
Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#199 Post by Blazeguard »

Eldrek, Fighter (HP 13/16)

Eldrek eats a healthy breakfast, "Gotta keep my strength up" he mumbles as he finishes up his third plateful. Finally he leans back, takes a long swig of ale, and belches loudly. "Aye, the good people of this village do not deserve this. As much as I despise that duergar, he is our best lead so far so the more information we can extract from him the better. We must descend quickly though and strike soon before they have a chance to gather whatever forces they may have."

He will gather his equipment and prepare for a foray into the depths. Once his preparations are complete he will pace back and forth impatiently while waiting for the rest.

Return to “The Allathurion Chronicle”