004 - On the Wagoner's Road

joertexas
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 004 - On the Wagoner's Road

#181 Post by joertexas »

Waiting a bit longer for Dree/Darithe to chime in...
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#182 Post by Darithe »

Dree urges her mount in the direction of the trio, whispering to Dela to let her know if Dela recognizes anyone. She was never comfortable approaching strangers without seeing their intentions first, but for she hoped for the best keeping one hand free and resting it near the hilt of her blade.

OOC: Sorry I had an out of state funeral to attend and a large workload waiting on me when I returned.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by joertexas »

I've been sick for the last couple of days, so I'm just catching up myself...

Dree, flanked by her comrades, rode toward the trio. They came to the ridgeline they had crossed, and they saw that there were now fifty or so people, walking in pairs and threes, spread out over a hundred-yard square area. No one reacted to the group's presence as they trudged ahead, looking at the ground in front of them. Dela gave a soft cry of distress at the sight, but she didn't call out.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Reins in his horse behind Dree and Dela.

They are not afraid of a quartet of heavily armed strangers? Have they become resigned to fate and despair.

If they are heading in one direction, we should ride that way and figure what is going on. He assumes further on is a camp area for the trudging refugees.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#185 Post by Darithe »

Looks at Dela, "Do you recognize anyone?" her voice empathetic to her obvious distress.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by joertexas »

Darithe wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 pm Looks at Dela, "Do you recognize anyone?" her voice empathetic to her obvious distress.
Darithe feels the girl's movements as she nods jerkily. "That's my sister over there," she says as she points to a pair some forty yards ahead and to their right. "Can we go see?" The ranger notes that the people are simply trudging ahead, whether hurt or without provisions, or both. No one is looking around, and no one has reacted to their presence.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

I wonder if the trudging, shuffling, unresponsive folk are actually mindless undead?

Do I get 'a bad feeling' about this as I use my instinctive barbarian nature.

Amistad calls, "Hey you. Stop!" loudly enough for the closest walker to hear and hopefully turn to face him.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by joertexas »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:02 pm Amistad

I wonder if the trudging, shuffling, unresponsive folk are actually mindless undead?

Do I get 'a bad feeling' about this as I use my instinctive barbarian nature.

Amistad calls, "Hey you. Stop!" loudly enough for the closest walker to hear and hopefully turn to face him.
Everyone in the back half of the group stops and turns as best they can. Amistad counts four people armed with spears, three with knives, and one with a sword. No one makes an offensive move, and two people sit awkwardly in pain or exhaustion.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Okay, so they are not mindless undead. Good.
I think we should follow Dree and Dela in any upcoming 'meet and greet'. At least they are not attacking us strangers riding among them.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#190 Post by Darithe »

Somewhat relieved at the people's response Dree says to Dela, "Hold on, we're going to see her," as she urges her horse in their direction.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by joertexas »

Darithe wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:50 pm Somewhat relieved at the people's response Dree says to Dela, "Hold on, we're going to see her," as she urges her horse in their direction.
The orcs lean heavily on each other and on anything else they have that will support them. Nearly everyone appears to be injured in some way, and there are only six males visible among the people. They smile tiredly as Dree passes and they spot Dela. "Do you have water," one of the women calls out.

Dela slides off the horse and runs to her sister. She is supporting another woman and a young child.

As the rest of you ride forward, you also are asked if you have water.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Spares no water. He is not uncompassionate but pragmatic.

Do we prefer to ride on ahead to the next camp or become de facto guardians to this rabble?

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#193 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:44 am
Darithe wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:50 pm Somewhat relieved at the people's response Dree says to Dela, "Hold on, we're going to see her," as she urges her horse in their direction.
The orcs lean heavily on each other and on anything else they have that will support them. Nearly everyone appears to be injured in some way, and there are only six males visible among the people. They smile tiredly as Dree passes and they spot Dela. "Do you have water," one of the women calls out.

Dela slides off the horse and runs to her sister. She is supporting another woman and a young child.

As the rest of you ride forward, you also are asked if you have water.
Mirek will share his water, saving some for use until he can refresh his supply.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#194 Post by Darithe »

Dree also gives half her water supply to Dela to distribute as she sees fit.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#195 Post by Eris »

Aden, off to the side keeping watch around the edge, rides up a ridge, just enough to see over it with his head and looks around. If he sees no danger, he'll circumnavigate the group out and up to look out in all directions.

Is anybody out there looking to ambush these people? What can he see in all directions? [Perception: 9+5=14]

If the surrounding area is clear he'll ride down into the group. Before giving them any water he'll ask, "Where is the nearest water to be found?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by joertexas »

The villagers gather and carefully ration the available water to those who need it the worst. Dela talks with her sister as the remaining warriors gather next to your group. "The next stream is half a day's walk," the heathiest of them says. His left arm is bandaged and splinted, so he sheathes his sword and points in the direction they were traveling. "Although your generosity has helped, I fear several of my people won't last that long without more water and some food. We will keep moving, since we have no other choice."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#197 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:02 pm The villagers gather and carefully ration the available water to those who need it the worst. Dela talks with her sister as the remaining warriors gather next to your group. "The next stream is half a day's walk," the heathiest of them says. His left arm is bandaged and splinted, so he sheathes his sword and points in the direction they were traveling. "Although your generosity has helped, I fear several of my people won't last that long without more water and some food. We will keep moving, since we have no other choice."
Mirek will give over some of his food. “I’d be willing to scout ahead and retrieve some water before returning.”
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Gunnery-0, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:46 pm
joertexas wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:02 pm The villagers gather and carefully ration the available water to those who need it the worst. Dela talks with her sister as the remaining warriors gather next to your group. "The next stream is half a day's walk," the heathiest of them says. His left arm is bandaged and splinted, so he sheathes his sword and points in the direction they were traveling. "Although your generosity has helped, I fear several of my people won't last that long without more water and some food. We will keep moving, since we have no other choice."
Mirek will give over some of his food. “I’d be willing to scout ahead and retrieve some water before returning.”
After a moment's conversation in their own language, the villagers pass forward a dozen waterskins and canteens, all empty. They offer them up to Mirek. "Perhaps these will help."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#199 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:29 pm
terrymixon wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:46 pm
After a moment's conversation in their own language, the villagers pass forward a dozen waterskins and canteens, all empty. They offer them up to Mirek. "Perhaps these will help."
Mirek will secure them on his horse and make sure the others have an opportunity to send a second person with him if they desire before scouting the trail ahead and getting the water.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#200 Post by Darithe »

"Dela, wait here, I'm going with Mirek." Dree will gather any remaining canteens or other items to transport the water, "I hope you have no objection to me accompanying you."

Return to “Exploring the North Lands (5e)”