OOC

The_Wanderer
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC

#181 Post by Faanku »

Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:03 pmThis is very generous and awesome! Allowing all PCs to participate via helping rolls takes a lot of weight off the above and really makes it inclusive. Thanks!
I have a few ideas from this, yeah.
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by The Bindoner »

by Marullus » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:03 pm

The_Wanderer wrote: ↑Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:37 pm
Just to clarify - it wasn't so much an exclusion (I obviously expect you guys to all work together on this) more like adding some fiction to have you removed from Zulehka's group and added to the main party.
Oh, okay - I didn't read it that way at all. Even so, she created a clear definition between those who came with her and are getting a pay day, and those that aren't. I think that's fair and a good IC thing to work out. Future group cohesion then needs an intentional invitation to the new PCs this way (instead of the OOC handwave that might leave future confusion IC). Existing PCs can absolutely have opinions on this to be expressed IC.
I must admit I'm not entirely clear on that point. Are the new PCs the crew that came in with her and will get a big payday and a ride out? If so Ekaterina is unlikely to want to jump ship to a mob of freelancers unless she learns their cut of the deal is bigger than the rewards Zuhleka is offering.

I see three viable IC solutions:
Rex would step up (only) if he is asked to do so. The others have already seen his skill in talking a robot out of nuclear annihilation, but he isn't going to push himself forward.
Ekaterina could put herself forward, identifying herself as a merchant captain and thus a suitable trade negotiator.
The original crew could hold to their task and profit shares, naming one of their own as lead negotiator unskilled.

Actually I see her more as a mercenary fighter pilot/"pirate", so once we've worked out why she'd be offering to help she'll cite her experience negotiating merc tickets, and the occasional cargo that "fell off the back of a freighter" ;) .
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Marullus »

The Bindoner wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 pm I must admit I'm not entirely clear on that point. Are the new PCs the crew that came in with her and will get a big payday and a ride out? If so Ekaterina is unlikely to want to jump ship to a mob of freelancers unless she learns their cut of the deal is bigger than the rewards Zuhleka is offering.
Yeah, we need to clarify. (I think I understood it as the opposite of what you said.)

IC Post:
The_Wanderer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm "I think you misunderstand two things. One is the nature of your employment. You are not in a position to demand anything from me. After this job, you and I will be parting ways. Secondly, the relationship between Lou and I is less formal than you imply, nor do I have the scrip to get you a ship...even a junker.

She pauses for a moment, thinking..."Now I do need to resolve this situation with this AI...The rest of this crew that came in with me are about to hit a big payday. They will have the means to get offworld, either flying commercial or getting a junker. I would happily give the AI to them. You do what you want Rex."
My understanding is that Askor, Rex, and Katusha (as the new PCs) were hired as local guards to watch the entrance until Zulehka (and the old PCs) returned to enter it. That would mean her statement is that the original PCs have the negotiation contract and 'big score' with Louie, she is giving them the AI, and they can use the score to get a ship to transport it. Based on Zulehka's last post, Askor, Rex, and Katusha were only paid to watch the door and that contract is now over - unless we are welcomed in by the old crew, we aren't part of anything.

...is that right?
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#184 Post by cybersavant »

oh, K, now i get it - was sort of confused too, but the big payday groups is us - the negotiators/ freelancers
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#185 Post by The_Wanderer »

Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:03 pm It looks like Corbeau Boucher was intended for this (Lead +1/Int+1, or his retainer with Trade +2) but you lost him enroute to this point (do we IC have a reason why?)
Nope...and with players coming and going, I plan to just mostly ignore the issue.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#186 Post by The_Wanderer »

The Bindoner wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:43 pm
by Marullus » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:03 pm

The_Wanderer wrote: ↑Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:37 pm
Just to clarify - it wasn't so much an exclusion (I obviously expect you guys to all work together on this) more like adding some fiction to have you removed from Zulehka's group and added to the main party.
Oh, okay - I didn't read it that way at all. Even so, she created a clear definition between those who came with her and are getting a pay day, and those that aren't. I think that's fair and a good IC thing to work out. Future group cohesion then needs an intentional invitation to the new PCs this way (instead of the OOC handwave that might leave future confusion IC). Existing PCs can absolutely have opinions on this to be expressed IC.
I must admit I'm not entirely clear on that point. Are the new PCs the crew that came in with her and will get a big payday and a ride out? If so Ekaterina is unlikely to want to jump ship to a mob of freelancers unless she learns their cut of the deal is bigger than the rewards Zuhleka is offering.
The crew negotiated with Lou/Zulehka to get a 4% cut of the final sale price for selling the bunker to The Blood. That's MUCH more than you're making as freelance security working for Zulehka, even not knowing what the final sale price will be.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#187 Post by The_Wanderer »

Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 pm My understanding is that Askor, Rex, and Katusha (as the new PCs) were hired as local guards to watch the entrance until Zulehka (and the old PCs) returned to enter it. That would mean her statement is that the original PCs have the negotiation contract and 'big score' with Louie, she is giving them the AI, and they can use the score to get a ship to transport it. Based on Zulehka's last post, Askor, Rex, and Katusha were only paid to watch the door and that contract is now over - unless we are welcomed in by the old crew, we aren't part of anything.

...is that right?
Yes
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#188 Post by Lance »

The Negotiators is a cool name for the group, btw. :)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Marullus »

Lance wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 pm The Negotiators is a cool name for the group, btw. :)
Darn right it is! :-D
The_Wanderer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:08 pm
Marullus wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 pm...is that right?
Yes
Okay, so we're clear, then.
  • Zuehlka drew the line here, then stepping out, so it's up to PCs to set a new norm.
  • Alix, Jonas, and Shion are currently facing the task of negotiating a 10s of millions credit deal. They currently are splitting 4% three ways (i.e. 400,000 per ten million), but don't have strong negotiating skills between them.
  • There needs to be an IC offer and acceptance by Alix, Jonas, and/or Shion to the new PCs to unify the group (or not).
I really was happy that Jonas was expressing IC opinions about this, and look forward to seeing it play out. :)
Marullus wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 pm The Negotiators:
  • Alix Conzweth - Sneaky Hacker / Teleporter / Starfarer-Pilot [cybersavant]
  • Jonas Jones - Doctor / Gunslinger (and a little bit of pilot) [shaidar]
  • Shion Kuznetsov - Mechanic / Soldier [Faanku]
Marullus wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 pm The New Guys:
  • Askor Binshav - Close Combatant / Bad-Ass Brute [Lance]
  • Pelles Rex - Gunslinger/ Diplomat / Moral Compass (and a little bit of pilot) [Marullus]
  • Ekaterina Voronina-Sokolova - Pilot / Sniper / Biopsion [The Bindoner]
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by shaidar »

Yeah, it seems that Rex's skill of Talk-1 (plus diplomat) is the best of the lot of us :-)
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#191 Post by Lance »

Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:25 pm The New Guys:
The Young Guns? :)
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by The Bindoner »

Power cut, no internet except by ‘phone ( and I don’t have much data on that ). Hopefully I’ll be able to post later, but it’s been over an hour so likely not ‘til tomorrow. Assuming the storm doesn’t bring down more lines overnight...
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#193 Post by cybersavant »

with the AI gone, is there still a active computer database????????
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#194 Post by Lance »

cybersavant wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:44 am with the AI gone, is there still a active computer database????????
100% of current computer databases lack an AI presence ;)

BTW I hope the double timeline going on is not a problem.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#195 Post by The_Wanderer »

Lance wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:45 am BTW I hope the double timeline going on is not a problem.

Not a problem for me, these things happen in PbP from time to time and usually get resolved within a few posts.
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#196 Post by Lance »

So Katusha and Jonas are discussing our joining the Negotiators in the past (I just noticed Jonas said he doesn't want a new boss, even though he asked for payment earlier :P) and both Jonas and her need to convey this information to the rest of the respective groups. This needs to be resolved (though it's pretty much guaranteed that we join forces :D ) before we can interact with the negotiations in the present. Time travel is hard, yo! :lol:
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by shaidar »

That's because Rex said he was taking the AI and was looking for crew for the ship he demanded, and so Jonas was being sarky, because he feels Rex is trying to take over. This interaction is then retroactively removed because Rex changes what he says due to what Zuehlka says to him.

Jonas' annoyance at Rex then resurfaces when Katusha goes to talk about the groups joining forces. Joining forces is not the same as someone taking over.

I think The Bindoner is having Internet issues, which is why he's not had a chance to reply to Jonas's question.

If it's that much of a problem then let's just hand wave the whole thing at equal shares and move on.

I don't understand why I'm being picked out here. I'm just trying to play Jonas as he would behave in this situation, but if everyone else has no issue with Rex changing the feel of the game away from what we originally agreed on then maybe Jonas is the wrong character for the game and it'll be better for the game if he leaves.
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#198 Post by Lance »

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not picking on Jonas. He's the center of attention as the most outspoken and active character is all. :) I also noticed how different Rex is in outlook to the rest of the group, but I don't think one character/player would shift the narrative completely. Besides, Rex is a lone gunman type, those don't make good leaders. :P
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by shaidar »

I see your points, perhaps I was being a little overly sensitive :)

I do disagree about Rex. He has a strong moral compass which he is going to want to apply to situations. He's already doing it with the AI, he was ready to fly off with it without even asking anyone else. This is the problem Jonas has.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Marullus »

As a player, I am THRILLED about Jonas and his RP. :)

Shaidar's concern is valid and I raised it explicitly to the players on the previous page. As a player, I want to make sure we are all okay and on the same page for the game. That makes it possible to enjoy in-character disagreements. In PbP, we can't see when players are uncomfortable instead of characters and I prefer to ask openly.

Adding a Jedi (even a self-doubting Burnout one) to a smuggling campaign changes the campaign. If that's not agreed by the players then Rex goes, not Jonas. I have no problem with that - I can make a new PC. I wasn't clear on the campaign feel, which is why I asked.
Marullus wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:03 pmIs the rest of the crew wanting to stay legally gray but morally good?
I saw this as the pivotal question. Rex's moral principles will push him to choose GOOD occasionally at the expense of the pragmatic, even as we run a shady crew.
shaidar wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:29 pmI've always been aiming for gray, rather than black: smuggling, thievery, but not gross violence, drug trafficking or murder, at least on a personal level (he has history with a crime organisation).
I took this as agreement. If it wasn't, let's discuss more.
shaidar wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:14 amHe's already doing it with the AI, he was ready to fly off with it without even asking anyone else. This is the problem Jonas has.
I see Rex as not demanding to be "the Boss" -- rather, he takes personal responsibility for moral requirements. He was willing to take personal responsibility for the deal he brokered with the AI (which still requires someone be ID'd to be hunted and killed by the AI if this goes wrong). It just usually happens that a person willing to take personal responsibility for moral outcomes ends up seen as a leader, which may or may not happen here IC. He is equally willing to follow someone else who is providing leadership (as a burnt-out and beaten old man) especially if their choices are also morally good. If there's a moral choice he steps up, and if someone else does too he can follow. The struggle between the two is part of what I was role-playing in him -- I enjoy the IC interplay about it as long as I am sure we are all enjoyingthe scene as players. I only see a problem if the players want to end up with pragmatic rather than moral outcomes on a regular basis for the characters.

I value that we are working this out both IC and and OOC.

Again, if Rex doesn't fit the type of gray the players want for this game, we can all agree. Jonas can tell him to F*** off and he will. Zulehka already set the stage for it.

Return to “Sigma Chronos (SWN:Revised)”