OOC Discussion

Marullus
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#161 Post by Rex »

I am not familiar enough with the rules. My instinct says retreat, but will support whatever the group decision is.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Marullus »

As described above, Ganna doesn't have Fighter but has a high Will. She can participate in a Drive Off conflict - she won't add to the disposition (hit points), would be good at Defense or Maneuver actions (with her Will), and could use beginners luck for fighter if she needs to (and not be much worse than anyone else). She could also follow her gut and cower, letting the others drive it off, in which case those with high Fighter can act more often and she is insulated from consequence (she can flee safely later if the party gets devoured and survive to Chapter 2). That's your current choice.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Rex »

I will stick with defense or maneuver unless everyone flees in which case I will as well. Should I edit my post to add I am using maneuver currently?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Marullus »

No need. Once the group decides on the Conflict Type and Order of Actions, we then proceed through the actions one by one. You aren't "doing a maneuver" until your turn in the Conflict comes up. You post what you're doing then (and can roleplay/narrate how it makes sense at that time.)
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Marullus »

drpete wrote:Alright, I think if the choice is between driving it away from here vs leading it to a place with sunlight, my instinct says try to drive it away, especially without the goblin not really being helpful here. We also don't (I think) have a bunch of skillful manipulators and loremasters... a few with the skills, but few enough that I'm scared to wade into that on our first conflict. We'd just be hoping the troll was worse, I guess?

Looking over everyone's stuff:
Grimm: Fighter 4/Will 3 - Crossbow: +1s Attack, +1D Maneuver, +1D Attack vs Defend, bypass leather
Tancred: Fighter 3/Will 5 - Lance: this is an improvised weapon, I think... so it'll break if he uses it?
Haar: Fighter 3/Will 5 - Mace: bypass chain, damage plate
Durganor: Fighter 1(!)/Will 3 - Hand Axe: no bonus/penalty
Clough: Fighter 2/Will 4 - Dagger: Maneuver disarms some weapons (not claws)
Ganna: Fighter - /Will 4 - No weapon
Cu: Fighter -/Will 5 - Dagger: Maneuver disarms some weapons (not claws)

We'd basically want to get torches into most people's hands, and spend a lot of time maneuvering & defending. That said, I'm seeing a lot of people moving towards the exits in the IC thread. Should we just book it? That might be safer than trying to trick it to the surface?
Pulling this forward. Thanks for pulling together this analysis!

Looks like Grimm is the Conflict Captain and you are choosing a Drive Off conflict. All six PCs are confirming they are in the conflict. Win condition of "Drive the troll from the sacred pool." If that's not true, speak up.

You need to determine disposition. Pick first three actions and first three actors.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#166 Post by Enoch »

Tancred left his lance outside, and is armed with a dagger. Cu is actually armed with a sickle, which provides no advantages other than avoiding the unarmed penalty.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Marullus »

[Durgenor is not with you.]

While waiting for Dr. Pete to return and finalize, how about brainstorming what actions your character would want to take?

Only Grimm has a weapon with a clear advantage (he should attack). Everyone else can arm with torches or weapons (Durgenor did drop his large sack of torches in my post). The Torches provide an advantage when the Troll uses the Defend action.

Look at the descriptions of Attack, Defend, Feint, and Maneuver in the book or in the above posts. You can brainstorm what you'd like to do and then DrPete can decide the order of action and we're good to go. :)

Grimm rolls the Disposition and assigns hit points from it to each of you (minimum of 1 each). He has 4D fighter +1D each for Tancred, Haar, and Clough. So, he rolls 7D and adds the success to his Health of 5 for total disposition.

This will be a tough opponent and you need to both deplete all its Disposition but also end with the majority of your Disposition intact (wins are relative and you have to grant compromises based on how much you lost). So, Good use of Defend and Maneuver is important in setting up a good attack and keeping your own Disposition up high enough.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Rex »

Ganna will go for a torch from the dropped sack in her next post.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Stirling »

I scripted Clough running fir the tunnel as others described actions other than fighting. Clough us happy to fight the think off IC we do it together.

Wuth that in mind he will try to use a flanking attack and get behind the creature to stab.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Marullus »

Okay, you do have the choice to have Clough not participate in the conflict (in line with his script of "I just have to run faster than you!"). If the party survived you will have played your instinct (for XP) and can face their IC repercussions. ;)

If you're in the fight, Clough flanking to get advantage we will call a Maneuver action. Your success sets up advantage for the action after you (presumably an Attack). Your Maneuver uses your Will 4D as base dice (plus Traits, help, etc., normally). DrPete will make the call for what order you go in. Your successes buy the benefits below:
The Maneuver action has three possible effects: impede,
gain position and disarm. Each effect requires a certain
margin of success. You can’t use the same effect twice on
the same action.
Margin of Success 1: Impede: -1D disadvantage to your
opponent’s next action.
Apply the impede penalty to the character making the test
for the next action. If the action interactions means there’s
no test, this effect is lost.
Margin of Success 2: Gain position: +2D advantage to
your next action.
Apply this bonus to the character making the test for the
next action. If the action interactions means you don’t test,
this bonus is lost.
Margin of Success 3: Disarm: Remove one of your
opponent’s weapons, a piece of gear or disable a trait
for the remainder of the confl ict. For monsters, you may
render one of its weapons useless for the remainder of the
fi ght. If disarmed and you want to draw another weapon,
you may switch next time you choose your actions.
Alternately, if you win by a margin of success of 3, you
may impede and gain position.
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#171 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Sorry guys, I've been out of touch. Work put me on afternoon shift to reduce the people-density in the office and I must have missed the one email saying there was activity on the board.

Can someone give me a 30-second recap?
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#172 Post by Enoch »

Sure! The goblin led us to the pool, which has a sword in a stone deep within it. Also a troll. We're trying to decide how to deal with it. My suggestion is either Drive Off or Trick. (I think we've settled on Drive Off, but I don't believe anyone else has explicitly stated a preference.)
Last edited by Enoch on Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#173 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

And what is the consensus? Stand and fight, drive it off, or run?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Rex »

I think drive off.
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#175 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

If there's no objection, I'll start with a Maneuver, to draw the trolls attention to me; to hopefully give an advantage to the next person to do an attack or feint.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Rex »

Defend
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Stirling »

Clough uses maneuver to get into a rear position before an attack.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Marullus »

DrPete hasn't been back on since his post 10 days ago. Bill, if you want to take over as Conflict Captain and declare the first three moves in order, we can move ahead. I can NPC Grimm's attack when it is his turn if he's not back.

Tancred also rolls for disposition: Fighter 3D +1D each for Grimm, Haar, and Clough. So, he rolls 6D and adds the success to his Health of 3 for total disposition.

Anyone that wants to grab a torch from the sack can do so, just put it in your move.

Attack: Grimm: Fighter 4/Will 3 - Crossbow: +1s Attack, +1D Maneuver, +1D Attack vs Defend, bypass leather
Maneuver: Tancred: Fighter 3/Will 5 - Dagger: Maneuver disarms some weapons (not claws)
?? Haar: Fighter 3/Will 5 - Mace: bypass chain, damage plate
Maneuver: Clough: Fighter 2/Will 4 - Dagger: Maneuver disarms some weapons (not claws)
Defend: Ganna: Fighter - /Will 4 - No weapon Torch.
?? Cu: Fighter -/Will 5 - Sickle.Rushlights/Torch.
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#179 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ok, I'll take over as conflict captain.

The order we should go for the first round would be
1) Tancred uses Will/5 to Maneuver, hopefully to get an advantage
2) Grimm uses Fighter/4 to Attack, we need to apply "damage" with Attack or Feint at some point
3) Ganna uses Will/4 to Defend, and possibly recover any lost Disposition

I'll roll for starting Disposition in the IC thread.

Does this sound acceptable?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Marullus »

Sounds great! Lets roll! You can roll Disposition and your first action.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”