Pregame Discussion

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Pregame Discussion

#161 Post by dmw71 »

So, to distract myself, I started to finally learn how to properly use the Notes app, on Apple products. I have to say, I really like it!
(My only complaint so far is the five level nesting limit for folders.)
One of the first things I've started doing is "building" out the T1 module as written in Notes:

T1 Prep Progress.png
T1 Prep Progress.png (448.97 KiB) Viewed 562 times

My next step will be to... rebuild each location. For example, in the above screenshot, room 1 on the upper level will not be occupied by "Zert, a chaotic evil fighter" after I'm finished with it. I may reskin Zert into a different NPC, with a different name, and place them in a different location; or, that NPC may be entirely removed from the game in place of something else. Or nothing else.

My point being, despite my griping about my prolonged professional setbacks, I am still working on this game. Even when I'm not actually working-working on it, I'm thinking about it, and potential changes I could make.

In other words, even if you've read through, played in, or even run the T1 module before, expect this game to be different. And hopefully better, if only because it will be something new/different... but also the same.

I hope.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by hedgeknight »

Wow! I didn't know Notes could be used for that!
How did you upload the map in there?
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#163 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:18 pm Wow! I didn't know Notes could be used for that!
How did you upload the map in there?
For the maps, I literally just took a screenshot and pasted it into the note.

The images can also be saved as attachments and added that way, too.

It differs depending upon whether you're using a Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iCloud directly from the web; but there should be a camera option in the note, that, if you click it, presents the following options (from an iPhone):
Choose Photo or Video.png
Choose Photo or Video.png (556.57 KiB) Viewed 505 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#164 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:18 pm Wow! I didn't know Notes could be used for that!
I used to pay for Evernote, until they increased their prices significantly, which caused me to outright cancel with them.

While they didn't actually delete anything, I had SO MUCH saved with them I couldn't create anything new. I couldn't even delete a note to create a new note -- I literally needed to delete the contents of a note and repurpose it if I wanted anything new.

Apple Notes to the rescue!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Rex »

It is interesting. I am still just using an old school pencil and notebook. My note taking skills have always been a weakness.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#166 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:09 pm I am still just using an old school pencil and notebook.
I still definitely do this, too. Lately, I've been partial to Baronfig notebooks.

I switched from an Android phone to an iPhone a few years ago (there are pros and cons to both), then added a (used) Mac Mini and (used) Macbook Air to go alongside my Surface laptop a few months ago.

There are certainly pros and cons to both, but I use my Apple products almost exclusively now. I even commandeered my wife's iPad since she wasn't using it.

A big reason for this is how seamlessly Apple Notes works. Depending upon where I am in the house, I can be working on my Mac MIni or Macbook. Then, I can step away and continue working from my iPhone without losing a beat.

Apple Reminders is also really good for shopping lists!

I used to be able to do the same with Evernote, but I actually prefer Apple Notes and don't regret canceling with Evernote for a second.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#167 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I don't own anything apple so I didn't know a lot of that stuff lol. We never used iPads at the school in that manner, when I worked IT for one.

I'm entirely an Android user.

Pretty neat though.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#168 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:17 pmI'm entirely an Android user.
My understanding is Microsoft OneNote is similar. (A former colleague swore by OneNote.)

I started dabbling with it a while back, but after I was unsuccessful in accomplishing what I was hoping, I abandoned it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#169 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I use onenote at work constantly. That's all my "quick reference" stuff is. Especially since I have to use powershell commands and other things I'd rarely had to use in past IT roles.

I just don't own any of the office suite in my personal things so don't have it on my phone. There is a Samsung note thing but that is more like Windows Sticky Notes.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#170 Post by dmw71 »

I’m guessing, if you had an Office 365 subscription, you could use OneNote on your phone (and other devices) to a similar effect.

I’m going to stick with Apple Notes for most things, but will almost certainly begin using World Anvil for my D&D stuff.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#171 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You are correct, Dave. I just can't see myself giving Microsoft more money on another subscription at this point. Already paying for my teens to have xbox live & game pass in the bundle subscription.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#172 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:37 pm Already paying for my teens to have xbox live & game pass in the bundle subscription.
My Xbox subscription is prepaid through 2026 or something like that. :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Rex »

Thanks for the link to the notebook, that looks like a nice one. My phone is apple, but I don't do much other than check PM's on here and my email with it. It is mostly for texts from my employees and emergencies. My wife still refuses to get a cell phone. My work laptop and home PC are Microsoft. Can't use my laptop for anything but work stuff. But my work supplies Microsoft office complete for free on up to 3 devices for all employees so I have it on my home PC.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#174 Post by dmw71 »

Okay, I just discovered in Apple Notes that, when you begin a search in the search box, there are a bunch of default search options:

IMG_5138.png
IMG_5138.png (313.91 KiB) Viewed 442 times

It's kind of cool to be able to automatically and quickly produce a list of all notes that have attachments added to them, or checklists, etc... It's easy to find all the notes with #tags in them, but the search box is just another area where you can track them down.

I am liking Notes more and more as I continue to use it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#175 Post by dmw71 »

Just a quick update.

After many (many) hours, I have officially captured the entire T1 module in Apple Notes:

T1 in Apple Notes.png
T1 in Apple Notes.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 391 times

Every location in Hommlet -- including the detailed locations in Hommlet (inn, store, church, guard tower) -- has its own Note with the published details and map.

Same with the entire moathouse and dungeon.

If I was going to run the module as-is, I would be very nearly prepared.

However...

As I mentioned in OGRE MAGE's 'Now What?' post, my plan is to completely reskin the module.

All the locations will still exist, but all the NPCs (and their motivations, etc...) are going to be completely customized.

That's my next step.

Since each location in the module has its own note in Apple Notes, it will simply be a matter of my going into each note (which currently has all the published information), read what's happening at that location, and modify it.

I also need to do a bit of reading into Greyhawk lore for the immediate area.

No simple task, but all this work will ultimately be worth it in the end.

On a personal note, I will be almost completely unavailable from September 9th through the 15th.

Ideally, I will be able to complete most of the above planned work before leaving, so we can officially kick this game off once I return, but that timeline is not set in stone.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Rex »

Sounds like you are making excellent progress.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by gurusql »

Great progress

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#178 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:25 pmSounds like you are making excellent progress.
gurusql wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:36 pmGreat progress
The sad part is, ultimately, what I'm doing now won't be part of my final solution. Apple Notes is great for the stage I'm at now -- organizing and plotting and detailing -- but I will ultimately be rebuilding everything all over again in World Anvil.
I purchased a lifetime license to have perpetual access to it, so I may as well actually put it to good use, right? :lol:

As I'm sure you're all painfully aware, I am not rushing the start of this game. I can assure you, the delay is not due to over-preparation. While I am dedicating a lot of time, effort, and thought into this game, it is all meaningful.

I have stated my intention for this game will be to run T1... and I will.

It's just that T1 might turn out to be quite different.

But Greyhawk will definitely be the sandbox you will soon be exposed to.

That is, after all, the name of this game:

-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#179 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ooo is this going to be like Rob's sandboxes "with plenty of sand"? ;)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#180 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:48 pm Ooo is this going to be like Rob's sandboxes "with plenty of sand"? ;)
I shouldn’t admit this, but I have never read into that campaign — I meant to, but it feels very overwhelming with its impressive history.

I hope to be able to match half the level of success Rob’s game has achieved.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)”