CHAPTER 12b: The Fortress of the Plain

Anton_E_Gregor
Guide
Guide

Re: CHAPTER 12b: The Fortress of the Plain

#161 Post by Anton_E_Gregor »

forgot to include my +1 makes it a 10. Will spend 1 luck at 2 for 1 to make it a 12 so I don't fail.

Anton squirms uncomfortably.
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Norjax »

Fortress Exterior 346D/81 (Evening)

Exhausted, wounded, and depleted, you all gather behind the rock outcropping providing cover from the lower portions of the towering fortress. The slight red glow and hum in the surrounding air has ceased, probably due to your mischief inside the circular wall panel room.

Max is the first to succumb to fatigue and fall asleep. Saiph is physically drained from pushing the limits of his mutant powers. Anton focuses on his symbiotic connections and senses some of his vitality return, albeit at a token level. (Regenerates 3 hit points) Silvestri take mental stock of his remaining ability to heal organic matter.

Podo begins to survey their environs. The absence of animal prints in the surrounding arid soil implies that the wasteland wildlife knows to stay clear of this mysterious edifice. From the available natural and artificial light, the terrain to the southwest appears more rugged and broken than the mostly featureless plain surrounding the fortress. He is sure that there must be an underground network of passages in this environment, but it is most-likely too deep for easy, surface access. He will keep an eye out for any terrain features that are indicative of caverns.

Apprehensive to correct his android companion, Denslow reminds Kurot about the fresh groups of red-masked humanoids marching towards them as they defeated their remaining foe and dashed down the corridor. As if in response to Kurot’s inquiry about re-entering the fortress, everyone hears a >POP< sound and look to see six gray cubes eject from high in the tower and slowly descend towards the tunnel opened by Saiph.

OOC: Being well into the night, everyone needs dedicated rest before moving on at any significant distance. Your current position appears to provide shelter from fortress observation but its proximity to the structure (100 yards) does little to ease one’s anxiety concerning visitor’s and/or patrols to the building.

Action Details:
Characters:

Monsters:

Actions?

Hit Points [Luck Point Recovery - 348D]:

Denslow – 25/42 [3/16]
Silvestri – 25/60 [9/14]
Kurot – (50)/50 [4/15]
Max – 1/28 [14/15]
Anton – 23/43 [5/11]
Saiph – 19/25 [1/11] Glowburned (9) STR 6/AGL 9/STA 6
Podo – 21/63 [2/14]
Urlando – 25/75 [17/17]
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri

"I have the strength to heal three more times before I need to rest, we should use them wisely. We are all injured, perhaps they should be used on those that are more likely to engage any enemy by hand in the night if we are found, and then I can use more healing in the morning on the rest of us?"

I think I've kept track of my healings ok?
GrapeApe
Guide
Guide

#164 Post by GrapeApe »

Podo

I wouldn't mind accepting a heal.

Podo looks over at his exhausted companions and volunteers to take the first watch. He reaches into his pack and drains a waterskin while pulling out some rations. While they rest he will keep a wary eye on the tower at all times, actively listening for any strange sounds, and try to gather some nearby limbs from some desert trees or thorny bushes to build a shabby boma if any are available.
Last edited by GrapeApe on Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anton_E_Gregor
Guide
Guide

#165 Post by Anton_E_Gregor »

I can stand watch. I do not sleep as you do. Anton offers.
doppelganger
Guide
Guide

#166 Post by doppelganger »

Urlando nods appreciatively in Anton's direction and collapses to the ground, exhausted. He examines his wounds with two heads, then mumbles Wake me when it is my time for the watch and attempts to rest.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri

"Thank you Anton, perhaps we can take it in turns to double-up with Anton, the more eyes on the look-out the better"

He looks over the group and seems to come to a conclusion, he applies his healing arts to Podo and then to Urlando:

Podo: Psychic Healing: [2d6+3]=5+3=8

Urlando: Psychic Healing: [2d6+3]=7+3=10

"I have a single use left, perhaps Denslow or Anton, I'm not sure which?"
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by shaidar »

Saiph snores quietly, asleep on the spot where he sat to keep watch earlier.
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Norjax »

Podo and Anton, being on first watch, observe the 2-foot floating gray cubes, rippling with blue lines, enter the exit tunnel. The blocks emit strange >BLIP<, >BLEEP<, >BLONK< sounds as they follow each other, one-by-one into the passage. The ambient interior light slowly begins to fade as the objects fuse and seal the hole. Another >POP< emits from above and more colored cubes descend towards the ground, presumably to finish the repair to the wall. The activity appears to be oblivious to your presence.

Silvestri draws energy from within and lays hands on his two companions, healing their combat wounds. He has one reserve remaining before being depleted for the night.

Urlando and Saiph rest until their watch shift arrives.

Kurot performs a self-diagnostic to determine the damage he sustained during the battle. (12 points of damage)

Podo scans the dark surroundings hoping to spot some foliage for constructing a fortified enclosure. There isn’t sufficient material at this location, but he is informed that the party has an artifact capable of creating an energy enclosure should the necessity arise.

OOC: You still have the security fence from the Vault of Ozkin.

Action Details:
Characters:

Monsters:

Actions?

Denslow – 25/42 [3/16]
Silvestri – 25/60 [9/14]
Kurot – 38/50 [4/15]
Max – 1/28 [14/15]
Anton – 23/43 [5/11]
Podo – 29/63 [2/14]
Urlando – 35/75 [17/17]
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Norjax »

I’ve decided on a different method to check for wandering monsters. I’ve taken the average of the three highest remaining luck points, rounded to the nearest whole (13) to determine the chance for an encounter.

This is a straight Luck Check roll, no modifiers allowed. 13 or less on 1d20 to avoid an encounter.

Who volunteers to roll for the party’s chances?
GrapeApe
Guide
Guide

#171 Post by GrapeApe »

Podo

Well my rolls are usually trash so I'll go for it for the first shift.

So ridiculous lmao.
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Norjax »

Towards the end of the first watch, Podo and Anton see a beam of white light shine forth from the side of the fortress, counterclockwise from your position.

OOC: Your location is the blue dot. The activity is at the red dot.

Action Details:
Characters:

Monsters:

Actions?

Denslow – 25/42 [3/16]
Silvestri – 25/60 [9/14]
Kurot – 38/50 [4/15]
Max – 1/28 [14/15]
Anton – 23/43 [5/11]
Podo – 29/63 [2/14]
Urlando – 35/75 [17/17]
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by shaidar »

Silvestri

Before he retires he decides who to heal:

odds Denslow, evens Anton

Who to heal: [1d10]=5

Denslow gets:

Psychic Healing: [2d6+3]=10+3=13

sorry this is a bit late, disregard if not appropriate
GrapeApe
Guide
Guide

#174 Post by GrapeApe »

Podo

Noticing the bright light shining from the tower Podo glances worriedly to Anton and whipsers, "Anton, if I speak in my mind to you, can you hear me like I can hear you? There is something going on over there, I can attempt to check it out if needed."

Podo tries to get as clear of a view as he can from this distance at what is going on. Knowing that his exhausted companions need rest, Podo removes his cloak and tries to determine if the light would be powerful enough to shine this far and if so would the group be concealed from the light by the rocks.

OOC: Is the light moving around like it is searching? Is there any movement on the ground where the light is shining?
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Norjax »

Silvestri dumps his last reserve of energy into Denslow’s bark, healing wounds received from battle. He then retires and rests for the evening.

---

Podo mentally communicates his intent with Anton before moving to get a better view of what is happening. The light is a steady beam of white interior illumination shining straight forth from a portal in the wall of the structure. It does not move, but the light soon starts to flicker as two humanoids begin emerging from the interior of the fortress!

Action Details:
Characters:

Monsters:

Actions?

Denslow – 38/42 [3/16]
Silvestri – 25/60 [9/14]
Kurot – 38/50 [4/15]
Max – 1/28 [14/15]
Anton – 23/43 [5/11]
Podo – 29/63 [2/14]
Urlando – 35/75 [17/17]
GrapeApe
Guide
Guide

#176 Post by GrapeApe »

Podo

Podo watches the two figures intently as he marks the position of exactly where the door is within the structure. Taking a wide flanking arc to remain unseen Podo tries to get on the opposite side of the figures, ready to act as a distraction should those figures begin to head toward the resting group.

OOC: So I want to try to sneakily (or by staying far enough out of sight of them) make my way to the opposite side of the two figures, so if like the figures were in the middle, the group sleeping would be to the west and Podo would be to the east. Podo is not going to take any action other than to watch them unless they begin to head toward his companions.

Last edited by GrapeApe on Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Norjax »

Roll an Agility Check for Podo vs. DC 5.
greyarea
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by greyarea »

Denslow thanks Silvestri and drifts off into slumber.
greyarea
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by greyarea »

Max sleeps like the dead.
Anton_E_Gregor
Guide
Guide

#180 Post by Anton_E_Gregor »

I think I can hear you telepathically as long as you are within a normal speaking distance? I'll defer to Norjax to be certain.

Return to “Archive”