Module 1: What Lies Beyond – Ch.1

DexterWard
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Module 1: What Lies Beyond – Ch.1

#161 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bigsby attempts to fathom what it would be like to be imprisoned as a slave for over 1000 years. He tries to hide the pity he feels for these three poor folks as he replies.

"I cant speak for everyone here, but I will personally do anything in my power to see that you finally escape the clutches of this place. If what you are saying is true, and you are truly willing to aid us in finding our way around down here, then I will also help you take revenge against your horrible captors. Though your past lives will have faded over such a long time, there is no reason you cant start anew in this current year."

The elf looks around at the newcomers, not sure what to make of the stranger with Rand. He smiles and nods all the same.

"I say we collect what we can in here and then attempt to get these folks to the surface. They have agreed to show us how the lift and other levers work, so lets allow them to show us the process while we try to help them out."

Looking back to the trio while the others decide what they will do, Bigsby asks another question of the freed slaves.

"Things will undoubtedly be much different outside than you remember, so be prepared for that. On that note, when we found the breech from the surface into these tunnels, we also found some strange creatures. One of them was a bird or a giant bee of some kind. A creature that could scramble your thoughts and cause your mind to tremble and ache. Have you ever heard of such a thing before? Do you know of what I speak?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Rex »

Rowan

"Hello everyone, I am Rowan. Master of hounds, and this is Jagd my trusty companion. It is a mess topside, thought I would try and help out."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Silky

Silky merely slaps Rand on the back when he comes to help gather coins. "I told you I'd find treasure, didn't I? Ol' Silky never lets you down." He stops short when he realizes Rand brought another gold share with him. "He's on your share, right?" He winks and then smiles and directs his attention to the newcomer.

"Rowan! Glad to meet you. Tell me, do you stomp about in wet tunnels often? I'm Silky. The others here are Denny, Christian, Tore, and the mouthy fellow is Bigsby." He moves to greet the man and the dog. "We were just about to head back up. After we finish up here."

He calls out to Bigsby. "You about done here? Are they coming or not?"
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#164 Post by SilverBen »

Tore pauses filling his sack with coins and turns to greet Rowan. "Treasure indeed, Silky, more than we can handle. Hello Rowan, ya joined us just in time to be leavin. There are some pretty nasty critters down here and we think they're more active at night. So let's get to know each other on the way back up to the Tusk." Tore begins retracing their path back to the ropes.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#165 Post by Paladin »

"A mouthy fellow," Christian says with a faint grin. "We've more than one of those hereabouts." He chuckles and casts about for a container of some sort to use to haul treasure out. If anyone can spare a sack, he'll fill it up with platinum pieces and prepare himself to return to the fresh air.

He keeps a weather eye on the reanimated corpses, entirely unsure of them and not too keen on learning more. But the treasure....aye, the treasure.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Rex »

Rowan

Rowan will help gather coins. Most valuable first.
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#167 Post by Bluetongue »

Denny

So if we are about to go, the dwarf gathers his kit and heads back down the inclined tunnel.

"Perhaps in the tavern we can strategies the next exploration. Do we head straight to the Keep or continue exploring underground?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Rex »

Rowan

"Not having seen what is down here I don't have much of an opinion, but a discussion sounds like a wise decision."
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#169 Post by DexterWard »

Day: Sept 9th, 1827
Time: 5:50 pm
Sunset/Sunrise: 6:17pm/6:13am
Weather: 81F; Broken Clouds; Wind: 13mph from SE

Christian, Silky, Denny, Rand, Rowan, and Tore finish gathering treasure and make their way back down into the mine tunnel.

Having heard the story of the three men trapped in this dungeon for so long, Bigsby finds space to help them. Before departing he inquires if the three men have seen or heard of the strange creatures plaguing the village.

Windover replies, “Your kindness will not be forgotten kind sir. We thought we would live in this dungeon forever. As to these creatures you speak of, they sound suspiciously of TheDarkVoid. Some of us were taken there by Ograxius and Windhammer. Some never returned. Those that did told of strange and dangerous creatures. Carnivorous plants, sentient mushroom, all manner of glowing stinging biting voracious insects, plants, and beasts. If what you say is true, and they have migrated this high from their dungeonous lairs, then we would be wise to tread carefully. And if they have found a path to the surface, we should seek to block it at all costs, otherwise all those above ground shall soon be introduced to such nightmares lurking after dark that their dreams will seem as a walk by the brook in comparison. Let us get topside where we can converse in reasonable safety then.”

The three men accompany Bigsby to the main room. When they get to the platform Windover pulls one of the levers on the Dwarven Elevator and the light rods in the main room flair to life with brilliant white light. ”We cannot be sure how far we can travel without these light rods, but we will follow you as far as we can. If the elevator still function – it is Dwarven so I would bet my death that it does still – then it would be a quicker transit to the surface. Your friends seem to be headed back the way you came? Shall we follow?” The other party members, heavily laden with treasure, have already begun making their way back into the tunnels filled with water - back to the sink hole.

Tore reaches the T-junction fist, on his way back to the sink hole. As he rounds the corner, strange sounds and sights greet his ears. Barely audible clicking sounds vibrate through the air from the far end. The sunlight from topside has faded considerably leaving only shadows on the pile of timbers from The Salty Tusk above. On the walls and ceiling are strange moving orbs of light, green, red, and violet in color. After a moment’s pause Tore realizes the orbs are attached to creatures crawling on the walls and ceiling, some swimming on the surface of the water. Giant slugs with glowing bodies and antennae, centipedes with glowing heads and pincers, glowing florescent green ants, other unidentifiable things glowing crawling and flying. The larger creatures seem to be praying on the smaller ones as opportunity allows. The nearest creature is a giant slug, roughly 35’ away, swimming in Tore’s direction (Size: 3’ high, 12” in diameter)

Giant Slug.jpg
Giant Slug.jpg (67.88 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

TheParty can most likely carry all the treasure if they divvy it up amongst the members. It would be ~11lbs/341 coins each (not including the naked Not-So-Living Men).
Treasure Haul (floor and carts)
966 cp (99 cu in x 32 lbs)
771 sp (67 cu in x 25 lbs)
579 gp (27 cu in x 18 lbs)
70 pp (3 cu in x 2 lbs) (
TOTALS: 2386 Coins, 196 cu in, 77 lbs.
(3) Gems
Total GP value: ~1,365gp

Potential Future Options:
  1. Try to bring the Not-so-Living men to the surface
  2. Take the lift to the surface <or> retrace your steps and climb up the ropes in the sink hole
  3. Search/inspect TheCrypt
  4. Search TheKeep
  5. Wait in The Salty Tusk to see what vermin appear, and deal with them accordingly (or run)
  6. Set traps for any unsuspecting vermin that emerge from the hole
  7. Talk with Farmer John
  8. Something else…
Resources
  1. Hooded Oil Lantern w/flask of Oil (19/24 Turns) (Bigsby)
  2. Torch (4/6 Turns) (Bigsby, not used presently)
  3. Torch (4/6 Turns) (Rand)
  4. Torch (4/6 Turns) (Rowan)
  5. (2) Flasks of Oil
  6. (3) Candles
  7. (2) torches
  8. (1) Hooded Candle Lanterns
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#170 Post by Bluetongue »

Denny

"A tusk or two of salt spread over them critters would dissolve the problem."

The dwarf analyses the slug fest and takes his hammer, spitting on the head and giving it a quick shine.

"Any creative ideas or do we just squish and bash our way through?" he doubts the not-so-dead trio would survive even a few nips from the poisonous gums of the slugs.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Rex »

Rowan

"Any other way out of here?"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#172 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bigsby ponders the thought for a moment, scratching his chiseled chin.

"Well, if you are willing to show me how this lift works, I don't see why we wouldn't use it right now. Unless you think it might be dangerous? Do you know where it comes out on the surface?"

The elf shrugs and steps towards the lift, waiting for his tutorial.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Silky

Silky stops short at the sight of the menagerie of slimy things. "THEY SAID DARK! IT'S STILL LIGHT OUT" Silky mutters "Dirty liars."

As quick as he came to the junction, he turns and backtracks. "Not that way fellows. I think that elevator thingy is a good plan, right Denny?"

Silky pats the back of those nearby. "Even I don't think we fight. Come."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Rex »

Rowan

"Elevator sounds good to me."
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#175 Post by Paladin »

Christian nods agreeably. "To the elevator, lads. No sense doing the heavy lifting if we don't have to."
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#176 Post by SilverBen »

Paladin wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:17 amChristian nods agreeably. "To the elevator, lads. No sense doing the heavy lifting if we don't have to."
Rex wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:51 am Rowan "Elevator sounds good to me."
Tore does not hide his frustration at the sight of the teeming insects surrounding them that block their easy escape. He grits he teeth at the irony of their situation and comments sourly, "Now that was near flawless! I just knew it was too easy." He tightens his grip on the burlap sack of gold and heaves it to his opposite shoulder with a sigh of determination. "Aye, to the elevator..."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#177 Post by Bluetongue »

Denny

Boards the elevator. Do the Not-so-living know how to operate it?
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#178 Post by SilverBen »

"Windover? Marshwind?" Tore darts a glare of urgency at the shackled prisoners, "can ya send us up before that swarm arrives? Can ya come with us ta lead the way out?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Rex »

Rowan

Rowan and Jagd board the elevator.
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#180 Post by SilverBen »

Tore steps onto the elevator platform between Denny and Rowan. He whispers, "Somethin' ain't right here... We shouldn't be puttin so much faith in what Windover and them prisoners remember about this place from so long ago. Too much has changed while they was sleepin... Know what I'm gettin at, Denny? Rowan? We can't take it fer granted this elevator will just let us out and we'd be home free ta get a good night's sleep at the farmer's house."

Return to “Old School Dungeon Crawls (OD&D)”