Journey to the Mines

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Journey to the Mines

#141 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Why, thank you. Grenda sits down next to Norzak and warms her hands over the coals, ignoring the banter.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#142 Post by Tamerlaine »

With the rising sun comes the promise of a new day. Sadly Norzak the dwarf and Grenda the elf decided to leave the group and its enterprise. Farewells are exchanged and what's left of the adventuring group watch silently as the two leave.

Once they disappear from view, the tower is searched for anything of use for their return to the mines. The main door to the tower is still strong; 6'6" tall made of thick solid oak banded with iron. A smaller door and latch is built at human eye height with iron bars set across it. A trap door with a lift ring leads down to a cellar. Among some long rotted victuals and jugs of sour wine, there is a small barrel of iron nails, some hinges, rope (some still okay, the rest moldering and useless), a couple of hammers and a few simple woodworking tools. On the main floor is a twelve foot long trestle table with some plates and cups.

Actions?
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sister Parthenope preforms her morning prayers and ritual ablutions. She then grills the others about what they found. "Goblins? Vile, wicked little ejaculates of sin. Arrows. Hmm. Yes, yes. You lost a companion and did not preform the final rites?" She bores a flinty eye into Parson Paulson. "We'll rectify that oversight directly, won't we, Brother?"

When the elf and dwarf decide to leave the expedition, she does not bother with much sentiment over the departure. "We are but rough ore in the crucible of the Gods. Some are forged for strength, and some are left weak and brittle for reasons the Gods alone might know. Weak of limb, mind, soul, or virtue. It is best if the weak do not tarry and inhibit the path of the righteous."

Adjusting her mail and habit, she prepares for the day's good work. "You," she points to Igneos, "the weedy one with the sloppish beard. You mentioned a shield wall." She points to the iron-banded door. "What do you make of that? And here, Providence has supplied us with tools for the task." Taking up a hammer and a chisel from the wood-working tools, she declares, "Help me knock the damned thing off its hinges."
alver
Ranger
Ranger

#144 Post by alver »

"Kobolds." mumbles Cedric, although not very loud.

Recalling that the party was somewhat short of rope, he takes the rope from the cellar and measures how much of it is still usable.

He then takes something that passes for a saw and attempts sawing the 12 foot table in half. "Hey we could hold the legs and carry the table, right?"
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#145 Post by rossik »

Igneos start to like the sis. She reminds his aunt May, a stocky women.

He will help with the hammering and such. He will take a hammer and some nails, too

"Yes, a shield should protect us from those arrows, yet, i dont think i have the force or the skills to carry it in battle. As a master of the dark arts, and now only guy that remain of the Wizardly Wizards Duo, i think im better suit for the back position"
alver
Ranger
Ranger

#146 Post by alver »

Cedric

"Well, yes, you would be in position behind this table here Igneos. We can carry it together. And then you like, pop out your head and get them with your magic!"

He observes his handiwork and proceeds to nail down loose parts.

The idea is to make two 6 foot halves of the table that can be carried in front like some primitive siege equipment, not actual shields
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#147 Post by Tamerlaine »

OOC: Just going to step in and remind you that the pit opening is 10' long and 8' wide whereas the shaft is 10x10x20' deep. There is a 1 foot wide ledge running along the pit against both walls, easy for the kobolds to negotiate.

Please keep this in mind when doing any construction as I will take the party to task on anything that falls short of what is needed, pun intended.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sister Parthenope listens to the others describe the pit, and nods. "Let us use the table as bridge over the kobold's pit, for it will span the width, and the door shall be our shield."
alver
Ranger
Ranger

#149 Post by alver »

Cedric

"Uhh, yes, about the table. See I kind of sawed it in half."
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sister Parthenope: "Behold the wages of imprudent haste!"
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#151 Post by Tamerlaine »

OOC: I’m going to have both Antman9 and VonAlric’s characters together so as to skip two different arrivals. If I preempted anyone’s initial post, forgive me.

Ganesh Chainsunder and Raynor Kjarr, a dwarf and human, have been trekking across the boulder and shale covered slopes of the mountain when the two come across the ruin of an old stone tower. As the two get closer, they can hear the sounds of industry; a din of hammering and sawing coming from within the crumbled stone tower.

Since no one posted watch, the the party is unaware of the two approaching.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#152 Post by Antman9 »

Raynor Kjarr: Human Fighter (HP: 8) (AC: 3/4/4 - Banded Mail, Shield)
Action/Status: Boldly Approaches the Broken Tower.

Raynor cocks one ear toward the broken and desolate looking stone tower and listens with earnest intent to the hammering and sawing and gibbering of voices within. Seeing no apparent guard or watch, he turns to Ganeg the Dwarf with soft voice, "They have no watch nor door man, shall we announce ourselves proper?” Having said his mind Raynor enters the tower with hand on hilt, shield stowed on his back, and announces without delay, "What occasion of merriment have we come upon?" in his best voice of course.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#153 Post by VonAlric »

Ganeg

Hearing the sounds from the tower, Ganeg lets out a small grunt. "If that sound is work, we might be in the wrong place. Hope we didn't get lost.". As Raynor moves forward, Ganeg smirks and speaks to no one in particular. "Go ahead Ray, scare the fool out of them." He gets his hand on his axe in case something goes sideways.

Edited to remove stupid phone suggestion. Really? Why did it change axe to hand?
Last edited by VonAlric on Fri May 03, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sister Parthenope draws herself upright and brandishes a hammer like a holy symbol. "Interlopers! Declare yourselves! Be ye for Righteousness and the Holy Justice of the Gods, or be ye for sin, inequity, and a gruesome death beneath the grinding heel of Divine Will?"
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by Antman9 »

Action/Status: Addresses the vibrant vivacious lady of the cloth

Raynor stands tall, as tall as he can anyway, and smiles his best smile. "Neither righteousness nor sinful delight have I partaken of. I am who I am, nothing more. If I am heathen I do nary mind. The law of the Gods has yet to impugn me, so I am want to continue in my way. I want only that which is right for me, no more. Think me not ill, fair lady of the cloth. I am Raynor of the clan Kjarr from cross a water that I have ne’er crossed. I choose adventure as life.” Raynor gives Sister Parthenope a very slight bow then asks, ”What place is this that we have stumbled upon. Is this your abode fair Lady of the Cloth?” Smiling he turns to see who else might be in sight while brandishing his forest axe, non-threateningly, intent on assisting in any way he can, eager that there are others to keep company with.
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#156 Post by rossik »

Igneos approach from behind sister Parth

"For i am Igneos of the Flame, master of the occult, the one who walked the closed doors of the shadowy realms of the unknown. If you are no foe, then be welcomed to our group!"

The mage is not certain about all what he spoke, but he hopes he had make himself important.
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#157 Post by VonAlric »

Ganeg

Upon hearing Raynor introduce himself and the absence of fighting, Ganeg nods and steps into the tower. "I'm Ganeg. Not sure if I need to tangle with this Will character but he better keep his heel to himself. We heard a group had travelled to the Mines and we decided to join up with them." A quizical look appears on his face as he glances around. "This doesn't look like any mine I've seen. Ray, you sure we'uns in the right place?"
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by Antman9 »

Action/Status: Getting’ Down to Business

Raynor listens to Igneos’ description of himself, quite unsure what to make of it, but accepting nonetheless. ”Greetings Igneos, master of the occult. I shall do my best to stay on your good side. I should not want to wake one morn to find myself a dark servant,” he says with a good humored wink. HE offers a hand, in gesture of good faith and friendship.

To Ganeg the Drwarf Raynor proffers, ”Praps my compass is a might bit off. No worries, mind ye. I think we found our travelers, and none too soon I should think. I spect these travelers have a bit of insight on the matter of thar mine of yers.”

Raynor greets the others, offering his hand to each, then inspects the tower to determine points of egress and security concerns. He won’t touch any belongings, but will take inventory of useful resources. If there are any iron nails left after construction is complete Raynor will pocket 6-12 if available, plus any scrap lengths of half decent rope (10'-15' in length), along with a decent cup if there is a spare and no one else wants it.
alver
Ranger
Ranger

#159 Post by alver »

Cedric listens to the introductions with a blank look.

"Uh, yeah, so there's kobolds there. They shot a guy, he's dead now. So we're making big shields."

He explains how he means to use the table halves - carry them in front, covering at least 4 party members, until the edge of the pit. "Then I guess we hafta throw some burning branches or something in there on account the kobolds were hiding in the dark?"
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sister Parthenope frowns deeply in response to Raynor's declaration of cosmological neutrality, and then even deeper at his flattery. Grumbling to herself, she busies herself with the parties construction activities. To Cedric she says, "I am loathe to give up on the notion of a bridge. Behind out sturdy shields, we might tread over the Perfidious Abyss, and take the fight into the very Teeth of the Enemy!"

Return to “The Mines of Khunmar (LL)”