Action thread 1 - the departing

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action thread 1 - the departing

#141 Post by rredmond »

Roll up some damage sir! :)

With three arrows finding their mark, all three misseleers appreciating Jeloon's last shot, and a curse from Van as his spear flies wide, the giant continues his charge roaring in anger and pain.

Initiative will be needed for this round of attacks. Depending on what he does, the giant will outpace Till though the pass still isn't all that wide at this point.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#142 Post by migellito »

Yay!

[1d6] = 3 damage from the arrow.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#143 Post by Alethan »

As soon as Till feels/hears the giant pass him, he draws his short sword from its scabbard and deftly follows in the giant's wake in complete silence. At first opportunity, he will strike at the giant from behind with his sword.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#144 Post by Alethan »

I'll go ahead and roll for the party...

Initiative [1d6] = 5
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by rredmond »

Though still barrelling ahead, club in hand, the damage from the arrows slows the giant so that once he is in range he is unable to react first. But he does babble incoherently as he attacks, flecks of foam flying from his mouth.

You've won initiative, and are able to drop and draw without worry.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#146 Post by Alethan »

OOC: So who all gets to attack here? Does Till? (I guess that's really what I'm asking...)
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#147 Post by migellito »

I drop my bow and draw sword and shield. Howling a challenge in Orcish "prepare to die!" Jeloon attacks, reaching as high as possible.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Argennian »

Yosef lets his bow drop with his left hand and draws his longsword with his right.

As he begins to step forward, he will cast his Magic Missile spell.

2d4+2 = (3 + 2) 5

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=1853

OOC: Ron, not sure how this would be adjudicated. I'm not sure if drawing a weapon is considered a half action or not. Magic Missile is a 1 segment spell & could be cast in the same round, just not sure what the giant rolled for initiative. If Yosef cannot do both, he'll cast the spell first, then draw his sword and attack! :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by rredmond »

Giant rolled a 4 so the way I see it you all have initiative but:

Jeloon will attack first, if she's flipping shield and drawing sword then the 2 attack round starts in round two. Van can attack with his spear here as well.

With Magic Missile casting time, Till being only a step behind the giant, and giants initiative, these actions all go off simultaneously. Which should be fun. The giant, it's obvious, is wholly unaware of Till behind him.

If you are casting a spell, no matter the casting time, it's still a drain (and theres is a somatic component). Essentially you'll get your spell off then draw your weapon and attack next round. Though the giant is attacking the three of you (Yosef, Jeloon and Van) there won't be any spell disruption because it's all simultaneous.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#150 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Ummm... eh? How about this: I'll just roll my To Hit and you stick it in the action where appropriate. :D

IC:

Till pulls his short sword from its scabbard and deftly thrusts it into the nearest leg of the giant (I figure that's about as high as he could get).

To Hit, Backstab [1d20+4] = 16+4 = 20
Hits AC -1.

Damage, Backstab (Shortsword, L) [1d8x3] = 4x3 = 12

As the sword sinks in, he shouts, "This is from Patterstone!"
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#151 Post by ToniXX »

OOC: I'm not sure if I'm close enough to attack, but if so, here it is:

To hit [1d20] = 19, damage with mace [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#152 Post by migellito »

[as I have 3/2 attacks, I think I get 1 then 2]

Sword [1d20] = 2
AC14
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by rredmond »

OOC: sorry, made sense to me :D

Jeloon and Van both miss their attack as the giant rushes in bringing his branch down on Yosef in his unbalanced rage. At the same moment Yosef utters the arcane words bringing glowing missiles from his hands and the finishing cry of "Patterstone" is heard from behind the giant.

The giant's hit is a glacing blow off Yosef's shoulder that stings more than anything causing 1 hp of damage.

The giant then crumples to the ground with Till's short sword covered in it's blood and Bruard running up. His eyes go dim and he gasps "damn squirrels" in orcish as his final breath.

OOC: Says a lot for good planning, though the rolls were with you as well. Nice job.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#154 Post by Alethan »

OOC: No worries! I was in a rush to post so I didn't have time to but glance through it.

IC:
Till extracts his sword from the giant's leg and wipes it clean before searching his pockets for anything of value.

Once he's done with that search, he'll head back to the alcove and search it closely for any treasure, as well. He'll pay particular attention to signs of disturbed rock or ground where something might have been buried or hidden.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#155 Post by migellito »

"Well struck, Till!! You do us proud again!" I will then aid in the search of the giant's person and alcove after reacquiring my bow.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by rredmond »

You are able to recover 3 arrows, and (though hard to distinguish with his body covered in filth and smelling that way) the giant has a small sack that he's using as a belt pouch, with 90 gp, 110 sp, and four gems in it. Till can tell that the gems are worth about 50 gp each.

A search of the alcove reveals a lot of squirrel bones, a bit of a sense that the big guy didn't bother to leave the alcove when heeding the call of nature... though his clothing kind of reveals that he likely didn't bother to disrobe even when going to the bathroom. Besides the thick coating of grime and filth all throughout the alcove, nothing else is noticed. Whether there are any sort of secret areas you are unable to tell.

A quick glance down the pass you notice some more minor vegetation, it does widen to 70' at least and keep getting wider further down. There are also more trees dotting the sides of the pass. Though they still look treacherous, the sides seem more climbable the further in you go.

I'll try and attach a rough map. You are coming from the bottom of the map, going north, the little cut out to the right is a bad representation of the giant's alcove. EDIT: Actually I'll put the map in it's own thread, it came out too big! I'll see if I can make it smaller too.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#157 Post by ToniXX »

"Impressive, Till! Great hit!"
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Argennian »

Yosef scrambles over and picks up his shortbow and keeps an arrow to hand. He nods to the others that he's okay and then takes up a covering position while Till and Jeloon complete their search.

"Well done, everyone! That could not have gone much better for us. We suffered no losses and used our strategic advantage to the maximum. Once secured here, let us go and retrieve Ancor, Rosin, Eyman and our animals and move them up. Shall we continue to press forward, then?"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#159 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Should we start up a treasure thread?

IC: "Yeah, let's get the rest of the group up here and get back on our way. This giant delayed us enough already!" Till will take lead again and scout the way ahead, staying about 100 yards in front of the rest of the party.

"So far, some of what the elves said has been true. We should be weary of more giants, just in case they were telling the truth about that, as well."

When Till scouts ahead, he'll be sure to keep an eye out for more alcoves and any signs of other giant activity. If he sees anything unusual or that might indicate trouble ahead, he'll stop and wait for the party to catch up before continuing.

In any case, he'll double back and check on the rest of the party every two or three hours regardless of what he sees or doesn't see.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#160 Post by migellito »

I help get everyone back into our single-file march, and head on up the pass. When we reach the wider area with the trees, Jeloon suggests we let the dams graze for a bit.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”