Along the Old North Road

Edeldhur
Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Along the Old North Roa

#141 Post by Dicey »

Oh, I see, our group loot is now your shield,” said Talesian, her voice a bit annoyed. “I can’t pay for ale and food with a shield.” She had heard about the reputation of halflings and their fighter-thieves. “Perhaps we can take turns using that group shield until you get coin to buy it out.”

Talesian smiled as she regarded the halfling and the human-sized shield. “Can you even see over that, let alone maneuver it?”

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Along the Old North Road

#142 Post by Edeldhur »

Dicey wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:29 am Talesian wasn’t sure she trusted this Fengis.

We saved your delivery from the goblins, so I think it’s you who should be buying the drinks,” said the auburn-haired warrioress. “You speak much but say little. Tell us something useful toward finding profit in this place.”
"Well..." - Fengis seems slightly offended, but then he smiled again - "I have already paid for the first round, but for you my fair lady, I will order a second one" - he looks around for the innkeeper - "Another drink for my lady friend!" - he calls out.

"Hmmmm, finding profit, finding profit..." - he taps his index finger to his lips - "Don't really know if this is the best place to make a fortune" - he chuckled, then asked - "What do you 'adventuring types' usually do for a profit?"

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#143 Post by Edeldhur »

gurusql wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:26 pm Jůnger

Jůnger will look around the small collection and buildings and quickly realizes that the silk will not be something we can easily sell here. "Barkeep, can I get an Ale please."

Recorded 4 sp from earlier sale.
The barkeep comes with the ale for Jůnger and another one for Talesian, with a sidelong glance at the fiery woman who dirtied his table just a few moments ago - "They do offer bounties on goblins" - the man piped in - "And the garrison did lose some men venturing into the Ironwood recently, didn't they?" - he added, looking t Fengis - "So maybe they are looking for soldiers" - he shrugged, then returned to his duties.

donjong
Runner
Runner

#144 Post by donjong »

Cropey Oarswain

Wincing at Talesian's sour reaction, Cropey turns to Bodkin and says in an enthusiastic voice: "He gave you that in exchange of those sodden old things the goblins were carrying around? Seems like quite the bargain to me, friend Bodkin! It will be of great help when we venture into the Ironwood to hunt goblins. That's where I intend to go at least; in fact, this here honourable barkeep has made me quite eager to venture into the woods first thing tomorrow morning. Don't mind Talesian's barbed tongue, Bodkin, the shield will serve us a lot better than a few pieces of silver. Fengis here said the margrave pays 5 gold for a couple of goblin ears. Gold!"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

"Thanks Cropey. That is very interesting, 5gp for a set of goblin ears. Now that is work I can settle into indeed. I will be with you in the morning."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#146 Post by Darithe »

Hreigă of Căléd

Hreigă walks up Fengis and offers her hand, "Pleased to meet you sir," she says as she takes a seat tossing her dark locks to one side, "It seems we already profited from goblins with the trade for Bodkin's new shield. A fair trade by the looks of it." She glances to Fengis and then at the empty space before her where a cup should be.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by gurusql »

Jůnger

"5 gp a pair could be profitable."

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#148 Post by Dicey »

Talesian regretted spiking the goblin heads on the spears, not knowing the worth of their ears.

The warrioress noted the barkeep’s comment about possible employment as a soldier of the Margrave. She usually didn’t like her freedom constricted by regular employment, unless the job aligned with what she was going to so anyway.
Dicey wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:29 am
Upon seeing the priestess: “Fengis, there is Hreigă of Căléd. She was watching our goblin prisoner. Hreiga! Come - sit - we can turn that goblin scum into gold for us and be in the Margrave’s favor.”
Fengis, Hreiga has in her custody a prisoner goblin,” said Talesian. “Buy the priestess a drink.”

So Hreiga, we should offer the Margrave the goblin for interrogation and a reward.”

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#149 Post by kwll »

Uthæs realizes where this discussion is going and tries to speed up its outcome, since there is no way around. "The goblin is gone. And we had enough dealings with goblins for the day, so let's move on to more pressing matters." he says, in a tone not inviting any argument.

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#150 Post by Edeldhur »

"A shame the goblin is gone" - Fengis echoed, his eyes now fixed on Hreigă - "Regardless, it is a pleasure to meet you Milady, and to of course offer you a drink" - he signals to Ubert, while grinning at Talesian.

(I am following your pace gang - happy to continue with the RP, or anything else you might want to do)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

Bodkin will enjoy his free drink.

"So mister Fengis, what can you tell us about these goblins? Any idea where they are coming from? They must be a real pain to you as a merchant of sorts."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#152 Post by Darithe »

Hreigă of Căléd

"Tis best he is gone and not troubling us further,"
Hreigă says speaking of the goblin, "Thank you sir," drinking from the offered mug. She listens to Fengis' response to Bodkin.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#153 Post by Dicey »

Talesian, knowing the priestess had been intent on letting the goblin go free, realized from the awkward effort to sweep the matter under the rug that she had indeed freed the murdering and thieving monster.

The warrioress shook her head in resignation. “It is confounding Hreiga how you could let the goblin go, after it was part of a goblin party that killed and robbed innocents. Do you understand that the Blackmarch is plagued by them, and we’re here ostensibly to kill them?”
Tis best he is gone and not troubling us further," Hreigă said speaking of the goblin.
Not trouble us further?!” Talesian said incredulously. “They trouble the whole land! We or the Margrave could have interrogated it to find their lair, or numbers, or plans! The very goblin you freed could be the same one to kill one of us, or some innocent, later.”

Fengis, the views of the priestess do not represent the group. We do not make a habit of letting killers and raiders go free. Hreiga, tell us why you did what you did?”

Talesian stopped, gripped her mug tightly, and breathed deeply to regain her composure. The warrioress knew the mysteries of faith were often unexplainable to the layman. Could Hreiga’s god be one of obstinate pacifism and irrevocable mercy? “Hreiga, are you here as a missionary to save goblins souls?”

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#154 Post by Edeldhur »

Rex wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:44 pm Bodkin

Bodkin will enjoy his free drink.

"So mister Fengis, what can you tell us about these goblins? Any idea where they are coming from? They must be a real pain to you as a merchant of sorts."
"I don't know much more than the rumors one hears around these parts" - Fengis shrugs - "Most people seem convinced the goblins might be holed up somewhere in the Ironwood. But I am not sure anyone has found any evidence of it so far" - he added - "I try to hire some protection for my wares, but I guess I need to start thinking about increasing it... Clearly..." - the man then grinned - "Fortunately, business is good around these parts for those like me willing to take a chance, since we are removed from major trade routes"

He then seemed distracted with the conversation between Talesian and Hreigă.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

Bodkin will ask the bar keep about this Ironwood.

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#156 Post by Edeldhur »

The owner seems to have calmed down after Taliesin's first outburst, and nods at Bodkin - "The Ironwood, ye say? Aye, to the northeast it lies. A petrified forest, dead and still for ages, now stirs with new life. But don't let the greenery fool ye - it's no place for a leisurely stroll" - he explains - "Though that old hermit has been living there for decades - comes to the tower once a year for supplies. Never speaks much, just... Carries a weight in his eyes that one..."

He leans in, as if sharing a great secret - "Deep in the Ironwood, there's a sanctuary, old and ruined. Goblins, they've taken a liking to it is what I heard. A den of scum and villainy, if ever there was one"

"Come now Ubert" - Fengis chuckles - "Enough of that talk - we don't know if any of it is true, so don't be sending these fellas on a wild goose chase, and bring us another round will you?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

"Thanks good sir, most rumors contain at least a grain of truth, often more, my Pa used to say."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by gurusql »

Jůnger

"'Agreed, Bodkin"

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#159 Post by Dicey »

Aye, and maybe we can get the Margrave to pay us to investigate the rumors,” said Talesian.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

"Something must be more than just rumor if he has lost men recently. Lets go visit the tower and see what we can learn there."

Return to “Edeldhur's Swords & Wizardry Incursion (S&W)”