Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

#141 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Rat Room.

Wraith Statues room.

Treyvor runs, hot on the heels of Sundance who under the influence of a baleful fear, intends to flee the dungeon and run to safety. Bucko slaps the priest, grabbing Moorheeth by the dog collar and roughly shaking him awake. "#&¥$@#£ !!!" his Mercenary vocabulary unprintable but to the point.

Martell, Sir Dewey & Vann Hector each try to fend off the dark malevolence that seeks to strangle them. -4hp It is a poor round though one shadow is stabbed and releases his draining hold of the beleaguered mage. Despite the radiant light from the paladin's shield, the Wraith-kin spirits bear down upon their assailants with murderous intent.

Shadow grasps: Vann Hector [1d20-2]=2-2=0 [1d4+1]=3+1=4 vs Sir Dewey [1d20-2]=17-2=15 [1d4+1]=3+1=4 vs Martell [1d20-2]=15-2=13 [1d4+1]=3+1=4

Sir Dewey -4hp, Martell -4hp, each suffers the immediate effects of -1 Str.

As Moorheeth rouses and grabs his holy symbol, Bucko uncorks a vial of holy water. Sigrid can only stare with glassy eyes.

next actions please.
Darithe, with Sigrid out and Trey gone, you can roll for Moorheeth's Turn Undead attempt. So a [1d20] [1d12]. Stirling roll for Bucko please, MR with Martell.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#142 Post by Darithe »

Moorheath

The priest shakes his head, trying to clear his thoughts as his eyes slowly focus to the peril of the party. His hand finds his holy symbol and intoning a pray to his God, he says, "Begone foul shades!"

Moorheath's Turn Attempt:[1d20]=9[1d12]=2
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Will attack my own shadow, stabbing into the empty, etheral dark rather than necrotic spirit. Bucko throws his vial of holy water, splashing the creature attacking the paladin.

Vann Hector's: magic Longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=3+2=5 damage [1d8+1]=5+1=6Bucko: Holy Water throw [1d20]=6 damage [1d6+1]=5+1=6Bucko: Holy Water throw: targets Shadow of SD, Vann, Martell [1d3]=1

"We should leave this room. Bucko grab Sigrid by her collar and drag her to safety."

I am not sure where 'safety' might be, but I am thinking these Shadows haunt this room and if we retreat, Rat Room? we can regroup. Unless the priest can rebuke them, (I think not by the TU roll) we only have three people with magic weapons to combat the Shadows and despite them being handicapped by the Light, our advantage from the two mage spell casters is nullified.

To make a fighting retreat, here are a few more combat rounds to fight off the undead summoned Shadow. I do have a Vial of Holy Water if Bucko or Moorheeth want to grab it from my waist pouch.

Vann Hector's: magic Longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=8+2=10 damage [1d8+1]=1+1=2Vann Hector's: magic Longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=3+2=5 damage [1d8+1]=4+1=5Vann Hector's: magic Longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=9+2=11 damage [1d8+1]=4+1=5Vann Hector's: magic Longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=16+2=18 damage [1d8+1]=8+1=9
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"Retreat!? Now that Moorheeth is back in action? Things are looking up!" The Paladin scoffs at the notion, undeservingly confident after their latest batch of attacks.

He strikes at the same shadow with better results. Flail(17): [1d20+1]=17+1=18
Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(4+3)=7+2=9 L:[1d6+2]=5+2=7

Martell continues his slashing. Martell: Battleaxe melee [1d20+1]=13+1=14 damage [1d8+1]=3+1=4

As Vann starts to move out of the room, SD will reluctantly do the same. "I'll hold them back"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Spearmint »

Wraith Statues room.

Shadows on the Wall

Moorheeth rouses from his enforced stupor, standing to rebuke the unholy trio of dark spirits that strangle life and strength from their victims.

His words fall on deafened ears, the crypt seemingly a god-forsaken place inhabited only by the dead and dying. Bucko spills his holy water, splashing the Shadow that clings to the paladin, -2hp Sir Dewey (needing 11+ to hit AC7) hits a double whammy with his dual-headed flail. -9hp, Martell hacks into ectoplasmic necrotic energy, shredding a Shadow -4hp (needs 13+).

The Shadows are relentless however and even in their own death throes as they are hacked and bludgeoned apart, each keeps pressing on with its murderous intent.

Shadow grasps: Sir Dewey [1d20-2]=13-2=11 [1d4+1]=4+1=5 vs Martell [1d20-2]=4-2=2 [1d4+1]=3+1=4

Vann Hector wrestles with the Shadow birthed from his own shade. The creature looms like a Grim Reaper, grabbing at him. For several frantic rounds the two grapple for his life or death, the elf being sapped of health -3hp and strength -1 point str.

I rolled equal attacks vs Vann Hector sunce you posted numerous macros. Below is the resolution to your combat.

Shadow grasps: Vann Hector [1d20-2]=4-2=2 [1d4+1]=2+1=3 [1d20-2]=18-2=16 [1d4+1]=2+1=3 [1d20-2]=6-2=4 [1d4+1]=2+1=3 [1d20-2]=12-2=10 [1d4+1]=1+1=2Shadow grasps: Vann Hector [1d20-2]=3-2=1 [1d4+1]=1+1=2

The elf's natural grace and finesse with the long blade deserting him until he can strike out, -9hp.

Moorheeth tries to aid him, grabbing his pouch that he frantically points to and uncorks it, pouring it in his trembling hands over Shadow -2hp and elf. The priest of Arcantryl can do little else for his faith prays to a God of Magic and has no enhancement versus undead as Yggite priests are ordained with. His cleric healing spells used and his appropriated prayer-spells ineffective. He can only add a Shield ward to help the prone Sigrid should her shadow turn upon her.

Bucko tries to grab the stricken Sigrid but the Shadows are intrinsically linked to those who succumbed to the Wraith Statue breath weapon and so wherever he drags the mage, the summoned Shadow follows. It seems you are forced to fight rather than have flight.

Vann Hector's Shadow, -11hp
Sigrid's Shadow (vs SD), -13hp
Martell's Shadow -4hp

Health Status

Sir Dewey 14/22. -1 Str
Vann Hector 7/16. -1 Str
Sigrid 0/14. -1 Str
Moorheeth 12/15
Martell 8/12. -1 Str
Bucko 8/8
Treyvor 6/6
Sundance 8/8

Actions Sir Dewey & Martell give me four rounds of combat please,
which will be apportioned to the Shadows you face then any adjacent ones. I have rolled the Shadow attacks for the next four rounds to bring the combat equal in chronology to the last round of Vann's attack. So I will resolve the combat or ask for more subject to hitting or not ... surviving or not ...
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Spearmint »

Shadows paint it black.

Shadow grasps: Sir Dewey [1d20-2]=1-2=-1 [1d4+1]=3+1=4 vs Martell [1d20-2]=12-2=10 [1d4+1]=3+1=4 Shadow grasps: Sir Dewey [1d20-2]=18-2=16 [1d4+1]=2+1=3 vs Martell [1d20-2]=1-2=-1 [1d4+1]=2+1=3 Shadow grasps: Sir Dewey [1d20-2]=3-2=1 [1d4+1]=1+1=2 vs Martell [1d20-2]=7-2=5 [1d4+1]=1+1=2 Shadow grasps: Sir Dewey [1d20-2]=19-2=17 [1d4+1]=3+1=4 vs Martell [1d20-2]=13-2=11 [1d4+1]=2+1=3

So, while Sigrid is passed out and Treyvor follows after Sundance, others battle against the Shadows.

Vann Hector struggles, a dark reflection of his own shadow, perhaps mirroring the turmoil of his inner soul, seeks to strangle his life and drain his strength. Each point lost pales the pale skinned face further and as he nears unconsciousness, black sooty colours form on the tips of his fingers, toes and even his pointed ears. A stark warning that those who die under the touch of these souless creatures are cursed to wander the Afterlife as one such abomination themselves.

As he struggles, a bardic anthem comes to mind:
I see a red door
And I want it painted black
No colors anymore
I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by
Dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head
Until my darkness goes
I see a line of carts
And they're all painted black
With flowers and my love
Both never to come back
I've seen people turn their heads
And quickly look away
Like a newborn baby
It just happens everyday
I look inside myself
And see my heart is black
I see my red door
I must have it painted black
Maybe then, I'll fade away
And not have to face the facts
It's not easy facing up
When your whole world is black
No more will my green sea
Go turn a deeper blue
I could not foresee this thing
Happening to you
If I look hard enough
Into the setting sun
My love will laugh with me
Before the morning comes
I see a red door
And I want it painted black
No colors anymore
I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by
Dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head
Until my darkness goes
I wanna see it painted
Painted black
Black as night
Black as coal
I wanna see the sun
Blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted
Painted black, yeah
Sir Dewey almost faints from the weary attrition, his helm dripping with sweat and possibly a little fear. Bucko calls out for me holy water, Moorheeth prays for help in ecstatic tongues. Martell alone, a squire turned knight wields some power in his Mongrelman axe.

The encounter resolved as follows: the paladin is injured twice by the chill touch, -7hp, -2 Str, Martell once, -3hp, -1 Str. In return one Shadow is put to eternal rest in a cloud of dissipating soot. Two Shadows remain, one tackles the elf while the last, determines to 'take one with it' and reaches out to throttle more life from the unconscious mage it is attached to.

Vann Hector's Shadow, -11hp
Sigrid's Shadow (vs SD), -13hp
Martell's Shadow ... deceased

Sir Dewey 7/22. -3 Str
Vann Hector 7/16. -1 Str
Sigrid 0/14. -1 Str
Moorheeth 12/15
Martell 5/12. -2 Str
Bucko 8/8
Treyvor 6/6
Sundance 8/8

actions, as the fight continues, SD, Martell & Vann provide three more attacks, surely that will be enough .... hopefully ....

and don't forget to adjust for Strength loss.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Stirling »

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

I think he doesn't have a penalty yet, str is now an effective 9.

The Knight quickly switches to the shadow on his dear Sigrid. Seeing her in more danger helps his aim.

Flail(17): [1d20+1]=13+1=14
Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(1+1)=2+2=4 L:[1d6+2]=3+2=5

Flail(17): [1d20+1]=8+1=9

Flail(17): [1d20+1]=15+1=16
Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(4+2)=6+2=8 L:[1d6+2]=6+2=8

"Get it off her!" He calls to Martell, who starts hacking away.

Martell: Battleaxe melee [1d20+1]=10+1=11 damage [1d8+1]=5+1=6
Martell: Battleaxe melee [1d20+1]=19+1=20 damage [1d8+1]=7+1=8
Martell: Battleaxe melee [1d20+1]=13+1=14 damage [1d8+1]=3+1=4
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Spearmint »

Wraith Statues room.

Shadows on the Wall

Finally the trio wielding magic weapons are avle to banish the Shadows from whence they came, stabbing and bludgeoning the Undead until obliterated into eruptions of necrotic ichor and negative energy. -16hp & -5hp

Fearing the crypt may trigger its summoning effect again, the group once more withdraw, seeking solace in the Skeletons of No Evil room. A haven in a forsaken place.

Sigrid is conscious but in need of healing, the last blessing of which is under the ministrations of the paladin who could lay on hands in healing prayer, restoring her to a comfortable level.

Sir Dewey needs to action that but it will restore +6hp.

Securing the unconscious mage, thoughts turn to the fleeing Sundance and Treyvor. They are yet to return, even after taking a turn to wait for them. From the sound of her running away and the thudding of doors behind, you know the pair went through the Rat Room and possibly, if under a Fear affect, would typically run for the entrance barrow.

actions please.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

I can't help but feel the Wraith Statue room has more secrets beyond breathing undead shadows upon us. More treasures than paltry trinkets in the burial alcoves. But I agree, waiting too long in the crypt to search every nook and cranny and each statue in more intricate detail might be a step too far for now.

Another thing to add to the 'To Do' list.

Getting Sigrid on her feet will help, especially after memorizing all her spells again.

Then, well, we need to search for Sundance and butch halfling Treyvor.

I just hope here they did actually run to the upper barrow mound and not into more passages. Didn't Sven find the zombie he healed up one passage close by. My brain suddenly gawps at them going there and becoming zombiefied too.

Down on strength but not to the point of being penalised, I will light a firebrand and lead the way to follow after the runaways. It is our turn to do the shouting now, "Sundance, Treyvor, where are you?", but not too loudly that all and sundry hear.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

Once back in relative safety, the Knight takes a moment to call upon his blessings and heal Sigrid. "Hello again. You gave us a scare."

"Nice work everyone. Now let's go find Sundance and Trevor. Maybe towards the entrance?" He follows Vann, noticing his current changes after the undead encounter.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Spearmint »

Sir Dewey 7/22. -3 Str
Vann Hector 7/16. -1 Str
Sigrid 6/14. -1 Str

Moorheeth 12/15
Martell 5/12. -2 Str
Bucko 8/8
Treyvor 6/6
Sundance 8/8

After raising Sigrid up, the group go to search for the lost pair. Retracing steps through the Rat Room and into the Long Corridor. Names are called, echoed down the passages but you get no reply and proceed with caution.

you have a map in the archives here to view for reference.

Heading to the left towards the entrance chamber. The first thing you notice is that the rope attached to the block and tackle has been wound up. You look upwards and rather alarmingly, instead of seeing Trevor or Sundance you find yourself stared down the trigger sights of two crossbowmen.

"That'll be far enough Mister. If you know what's good for you and your friends here."

With that you hear two muffled shouts, unmistakably the voices of the comrades.

"From the look of her pake face, we thought she was a risen dead come to chase us away. Now we know she us a pretty bounty and who is this? Her locksmith light-fingers.

Now we be reasonable men. You can have them lowered to you, unharmed in exchange for a little reward for our troubles.

What say ye? A hundred gold for the thief and two hundred for the bed-wench?"

A large figure, possibly half-orcish judging by his squat faced features leers at the group below. The men behind him have a distinct unkempt and bedraggled appearance.

While Bucko & Martell watch your rear from interior dangers, the characters can negotiate any rescue.

actions please
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

I am hardly the best for negotiations and paying any ransom price might be a stretch. I think that should be a last resort. "S#!£" he whispers in hushed tones.

The hole in the ceiling is how high above us? Fifty feet? They have advantage, we cannot get to them and even if we could 'mass sleep' the brigands, some elves might be among their number. I think the first step is finding out who they are, how many we might be dealing with and ensuring the safety of our comrades.

we could always call their bluff and say either are not worth that much no I don't think so.

Sigrid, Sir Dewey? what do you think? Better ideas, suggestions?

If we pooled what treasure and money we carry, I have only 6gp, 10sp in coins, a gold earring worth 15gp and some base gems linked in a hair braid.

"Can you vouch my comrades are safe and unharmed?" I will ask. Is there anything I might note about them from what I can see or hear? Are they from the group we met on the Barrow Moor? The Barghests?

Vann Hector intelligence check vs 13 [4d6]=15
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight steps into the light from above. "It appears you have the advantage, sir. I am Sir Dewey, Knight of St. Ygg. Who am I addressing?"

"I would like to resolve this situation without anyone getting injured. First, we've had a bit of bad luck delving down here, and I fear your price is a bit over our heads at the moment. Second, how would such an exchange work? Would you lower a man down to get the loot? What assurances do we have that you will fulfill the bargain? If you know of my trade, you know that my word is unbreakable, but how about yours?"

Sir Dewey stands tall and behaves as if he is not literally in a hole in these negotiations.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#156 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Looks up at Sir Dewey, a relieved smile upon her face, "I gave you a scare?" unsure that is what the knight meant, "I've been told my facepaint can cause such in some. But I thank you kindly for rousing me. It brings back fond memories of when we shared the room back in town. Now where did our companions go?," looking around for Sundance and Treyvor. When she rises, she reaches into her backpack and retrieves the necklace Saltheart gave to her, place around her neck so that it hangs loosely down to her heart. She follows the others as they seek the missing two, stopping at the sound of the voice.

Though none of them are in a fit state for an altercation. She doesn't see how they can avoid one under the circumstances. However, she will remain out of the line of sight and follow Vann & Dewey's leads.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Spearmint »

It seems Sundance in her Fear fled the labyrinth only to run straight into a wild bunch of brigands who camp in the above Barrow Mound crypt. Treyvor followed and was captured also, the pair now being ransomed off for their safe return to the group.

"Three hundred gold." It seems a high price but what value do you put on a comrades life?

Moorheeth is acting as the Where-Rats treasurer and can account for the following as group loot:
+30gp, +75sp, + filigree necklace of intricate silver chain. Holding for group.
He also has a sack of dented platemail breastplate and visored helm taken from the suit of armour, which needs refurbishment but could be a makeweight in any trade deal. at a push, he also has a heavy purse with 200gp of tithes and offerings in but I am loathe to just NPC him handing that over until final negotiations are concluded.

You hope for a more satisfactory transaction.

"My word is as good as any paladin's. I say what I mean and I mean what I say. Let me be Nameless, lest I find myself on some Duchy portrait, 'Wanted' for this or that.

We can tie the gnome to the rope, lower him halfway, you toss up the coins, we lower him down. Trade's a good one.

Then we do the same for the maiden. Feisty she is. Bit my finger, should charge for the teeth marks."

He gets his men to bring Treyvor to the edge of the ceiling hole. You can see he sports a whack on his head. "He was feisty too. Had to put him to sleep before the men threw him back down to splatter on the floor.

Can't get much sense from him though. Talking of ghosts in jars, living shadows, legless men crawling on the ceilings, devil cats."

"There's a dozen of them up..urgh!" the gnome shouts before being coshed silent again.

"Plus two." the half-orc sniggers.

Below Vann Hector and Sir Dewey consult together. from your roll, you cannot gain any specific insight into this group. Perhaps one of the more ragged rogue bands that seasonally appear and have a typical 'modus operandi' to bully and bribe explorers laden with barrow treasures but weakened from their experiences.

Brigands: Nameless reactions: [1d100]=73

So far the bandits have an uncertain but prone towards positive attitude. Seeing the paladin in his red-cross livery, the half-orc mutters to his men.

"You may arise Sir knight. Unarmed of course and we can talk face to face as equals." Nameless drops the pulley rope down that Sir Dewey may grip onto the looped hand and foot holds and be hauled up to the above chamber. But the stipulation is going without weapon uncovering your visored helm.

actions and any negotiations please.

Attachments
Nameless: half-orc brigand
Nameless: half-orc brigand
tumblr_orkfrtarik1v4fvg9o1_1280.jpg (153.55 KiB) Viewed 417 times
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"One moment, Nameless."

He turns to those below. "I don't see an acceptable path forward without compliance. I will go up and negotiate with them, I expect no treachery but am prepared for it."

"I'll be back, keep them safe Martell. Don't explore without me." He says with a smile in his voice. The Paladin hands his flail to Moorheeth for safekeeping, his crossbow to Martell.

Sir Dewey nods to Sigrid and grasps the loops to rise to the surface.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"I don't like it. Not at all. What is to say they won't keep you captive, add three hundred gold more to the ransom."

I am searching through my inventory but cannot find anything that might add weight to Sir Dewey's negotiations. I have a thought.

Sigrid, "Can you add Strength again as a spell to buff Sir Dewey out before he ascenfs unarmed?" I will ask the mage.

I will also shake his hand before he grabs the rope, "Good luck," and slip over his wrist a trinket as I do so.

"It justs adds some ward to your health should they try to deceive you."
my trinket is an enchanted wrist bracer which looks like a handcuff. It simply adds a +1 vs poison saves.
When he goes up, figuring whatever negotiation will be unheard, I will try to figure a 'plan B'.

If I could 'spider climb' up to the ceiling while invisible ...

The body of the spider we killed should still be here. I have heard that spider flagelliform glands can be cut from spiders and used as a one-shot web splatter type weapon. Drag the creature and cut it out? if one of the more intelligent could identify it ...

Not sure what else to do proactively to help above.

"Better keep below secure too. We would really in trouble if anything wandered along."
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey
Stirling wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:37 pm Vann Hector

"I don't like it. Not at all. What is to say they won't keep you captive, add three hundred gold more to the ransom."
"Basic decency. All people have some good in them, sometimes all it takes is a little push." The Knight shakes his head and chuckles. "Listen to me. You'd think I was a cleric."

Return to “Completed Expeditions”