Along the Old North Road

Edeldhur
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Along the Old North Road

#121 Post by kwll »

Seeing the goblin flee, Uthæs smirks. He waits for a few seconds, then enters the inn and goes to his companions and the man named Fengis to seat at their table. I listens silently at first, as usual.

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#122 Post by Edeldhur »

Rex wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:57 pm Bodkin

"Hail, master smith. I am looking to sell some goblin weapons if you might be interested in buying?"

He walks up to the dwarf so he is sure he has been heard/seen.
The dwarf lifts his eyes to look at Bodkin - they seem bloodshot and tired - "Ye've been in a scuffle with goblins then?" - he seems to be taking a measure of the Halfling - "Damned basterds are getting more and more gutsy" - he snarled - "Show me what ye got!"

He turns the spears over in his hands, observing them with a trained eye - "Meh, crappy things... Not sure I will be findin' many buyers for this... I'll give ye three silver fer each!"

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#123 Post by Edeldhur »

Darithe wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:01 pm Hreigă of Căléd

Hreigă waits outside a moment listening to the ruckus in the inn, "So much for announcing our presence," she looks down at the goblin, thinking he has turned into a millstone about her neck. Taking a coin from her purse she presses it into his hand and in goblin says, "Best be off with you. Your service to me is done. Head for the gate and keep going till you find your kin."

She then moves into the doorway of the inn waiting a moment to glance at each of the occupants before entering.
Zagzug's eyes went wide when Hreigă gave him the coin and sent him off. Without a word, he looked around to make sure it was not some sort of ruse, then dashed away as fast as possible, glancing back at his 'Master' a couple of times though, before he disappeared in the distance.

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by Edeldhur »

Dicey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:46 amTalesian drank her ale, unimpressed with the uptight tavern goers. Most men reacted differently when a woman was on top of a table. Then again, she wasn’t dancing.

We encountered goblins who killed the dwarf, and would have eaten the halfling Dopkin if we didn’t save him. It happened a few hours down the road. There are four spears topped with goblin heads to mark the spot. We took one goblin hostage, should you want to question it. It may be able to give you intelligence on its tribe size, location, leader and plans. The priestess Hreiga outside has it in custody.”

“Fengis, by your dress and interest in Rark I take it you work for the Margrave? We have the dead dwarf and his goods, should there be the delivery among them. If the Margrave needs swords to hire, we are willing.”
"Oooh, you have a captured goblin..? You should perhaps take it to the Margrave for a reward. I think they are offering five gold pieces for each goblin dead or alive" - Fengis grinned, carefully observing the woman - "Apart from that, I am not sure they are looking in particular for hired swords"

"As for the goods you have found, they were to be delivered to me, so I would be very grateful if you could hand them over to me" - he added with a smile - "And Dopkin as well of course"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

"3sp each seems fair to me, I will take it. I am Bodkin by the way. What can you tell me about the goblins? I have had some run ins with their kind before and would like to pay them back if you know what I mean."

He hands over the 8 spears.

"What about these 6 daggers and battle axe?"

I am taking 2 daggers and everyone gets 4sp for now.

Sheet updated.

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#126 Post by Dicey »

Mr. DM, what do we know of the Tower? Is there a village about it, or just these few buildings? If the latter, the population must be small? Does the Margrave live in the tower and does he politically rule the region? How big is the tower, and is it part of a Keep?
Rex wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:23 pm Bodkin

Four of the spears have goblin heads on them, back at the scene of battle.

Talesion took 2 spears.

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#127 Post by Edeldhur »

Rex wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:23 pm Bodkin

"3sp each seems fair to me, I will take it. I am Bodkin by the way. What can you tell me about the goblins? I have had some run ins with their kind before and would like to pay them back if you know what I mean."

"What about these 6 daggers and battle axe?"

I am taking 2 daggers and everyone gets 4sp for now.

Sheet updated.
"Name's Daerdun" - the dwarf chuckled - "And ye're trying to run my business to the ground lad - I don't have coin for all o'that!" - he then pondered for a few seconds, and grabbed a shield from the wall, handing it to you - "Trade ye those and your shield fer this one?"

The shield is made of reinforced wood, and has a carving of a flaming motif. The wood is reddish, and when viewed at certain angles gives the impression of embers on its surface.

"Been standing on the wall for ages - might as well give it some use" - he shrugged.

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#128 Post by Edeldhur »

Dicey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:34 pm Mr. DM, what do we know of the Tower? Is there a village about it, or just these few buildings? If the latter, the population must be small? Does the Margrave live in the tower and does he politically rule the region? How big is the tower, and is it part of a Keep?
The inn sits at the foot of the tower, plus the smithy and the stables. Then you have some spread out farms and modest houses dotting the region, but no village per se.

The Margrave lives in the Tower and indeed politically rules the region - it is a tower yes, and not part of a Keep.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

Bodkin will examine the shield very closely. Assuming he doesn't find any flaws that would make sub-par compared to his shield he will trade for it.

"Fair enough, deal!"

No coins everyone. Sheet updated.

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#130 Post by Edeldhur »

Rex wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:51 am Bodkin

Bodkin will examine the shield very closely. Assuming he doesn't find any flaws that would make sub-par compared to his shield he will trade for it.

"Fair enough, deal!"

No coins everyone. Sheet updated.
To Bodkin the shield seems to be well made - something he notices immediately is it is quite light, compared to his old one.
On the inside of the shield, he finds an engraving - "Emberguard"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

Bodkin smiles.

"I am sure we will do business again master smith."

He heads off to find the others.

donjong
Runner
Runner

#132 Post by donjong »

Cropey Oarswain

"Five gold a piece is not bad! I think a word with the margrave is in order. I thank you for the mead, Fengis. The halfling Dopkin should be around here somewhere with the rest of our travelling group, I'm sure they'll all turn up here before long.

Looking at Fengis' expensive outfit, Cropey continues:

"Pardon my bluntness, friend Fengis, but I have to admit I am curious to hear what a gentleman of such sophisticated presentation is doing in this godforsaken march. How come you are here of all places?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

Bodkin walks in, just catching 5gp, "Five gp is not bad for what?"

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#134 Post by kwll »

When Bodkin arrives, Uthæs says: "Nevermind, we won't get the gold pieces... this time. But I agree we should meet the margrave."

The elf is ready to leave the place to enter the tower, but he is also very much interested by Fengis' answer to Cropey's question before that.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#135 Post by Darithe »

Hreigă of Căléd

Hreigă strode in from the entrance pulling her cloak about her. She had little trust in towns, always more comfortable alone or out in the wilderness. She let the others speak without saying a word, while she listened, taking it all in, her face impassive at the talk of goblins.

Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#136 Post by Edeldhur »

Rex wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:40 pm"I am sure we will do business again master smith."

He heads off to find the others.
"Stay safe lad!"
donjong wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:03 pmLooking at Fengis' expensive outfit, Cropey continues:

"Pardon my bluntness, friend Fengis, but I have to admit I am curious to hear what a gentleman of such sophisticated presentation is doing in this godforsaken march. How come you are here of all places?"
"It is no bluntness at all my dear sir" - Fengis offered a polite head nod - "Happenstance and my own misadventures have brought me to this place and this role as provisoner, much like your own travels to this northerly region in search of opportunities I think?" - he added - "But if you want more detail than that, then you will need to pay for the next round of drinks" - he smiled.

"So where is this goblin of yours? And good Dopkin?" - the man added.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by gurusql »

Jůnger

Jůnger will look around the small collection and buildings and quickly realizes that the silk will not be something we can easily sell here. "Barkeep, can I get an Ale please."

Recorded 4 sp from earlier sale.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#138 Post by kwll »

Uthæs looks at Junger and grumbles a little. "Drink it quick. We should move to the tower soon."

Dicey
Tracker
Tracker

#139 Post by Dicey »

Talesian wasn’t sure she trusted this Fengis.

We saved your delivery from the goblins, so I think it’s you who should be buying the drinks,” said the auburn-haired warrioress. “You speak much but say little. Tell us something useful toward finding profit in this place.”

Upon Bodkin’s arrival, Talesian asked the halfling: “So how much did you sell the weapons for and what’s our split?”

Upon seeing the priestess: “Fengis, there is Hreigă of Căléd. She was watching our goblin prisoner. Hreiga! Come - sit - we can turn that goblin scum into gold for us and be in the Margrave’s favor.”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Rex »

Bodkin

"I traded for a better looking shield. The smith didn't have the coin to buy them outright so it was the best I could do. When we get some coin I can pitch some of mine back for your share of the stuff I carried back cause no one else would."

Return to “Edeldhur's Swords & Wizardry Incursion (S&W)”