In Game OOC

Leitz
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: In Game OOC

#121 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:15 pm I'm thinking of swapping the Called Shot stunt for something athletics or fight based that reflects more on his fighting style, but I'm not quite sure what. Maybe something to do with defence or parrying.
Here's the Athletics skill, with some example stunts. That would seem to feed the Musketeer style you're going for. Are there any Musketeers in Louis family or friendships? Note the the novels were set from roughly 1625 to Louis' present.

Muskets are, pretty much by definition, smooth bore with loose fitting projectiles at a low speed. The loose fit was to handle powder residue as multiple shots would happen between chances to stop and clean the bore. Precision shooting is possible, but very rare and it requires a lot of focus and attention.

On a related note, I'm not above taking liberties with physics, 1600's steam-punk, and history, if we can make a great game of it.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by shaidar »

I was thinking that one of the following athletics stunts might work:

By My Hand, Set the World in Motion.
Athletic Dodge

As for someone in the Musketeers, perhaps an uncle or cousin. Once a favourite of theirs, the relationship has probably cooled a little since Le Fronde.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Leitz »

The next DM Action post will be about this time tomorrow; with the chaplain waking up. Let me know if you have any questions or actions twixt now and then. She will revive the next morning, so you have time. Also, there's food in the larder, and the house is well equipped.

Diego will help the group settle in. He shows them the outhouse, helps care for the horses, and prepares a basic, but hearty, supper.

Since everyone has a decent Notice skill, you are all aware that the hope chest has a similar marking to the doorway. There are several tales about how the marking came about, and what it means, but the generally accepted version is that mankind isn't quite "pointing due north". That is, doing right and living up to it's potential. The League of Adventurers is there to inspire people to "point north". The goal isn't necessarily to fix the world, but to inspire others to do their own fixing.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Leitz »

I posted early, the evening may get odd. Feel free to retcon if needed.

For the most part, I'm setting the scene. What you do with it is up to you, and I'll try to answer questions within a few hours. This is the part where you find the next "quest". :)
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Leitz »

Okay, there are three ScenSim encounters left:

1. Investigation
2. Movement
3. Combat with a real foe

Here's the layout of the final scene:

1. Describe how you will investigate the contents of the hope chest for your quest. Optionally, also use social skills to gain other data, or to formulate a plan, with Kurstnen and Diego. Both are willing to assist, and will be going along. However, your skills and backgrounds will provide insights and opportunities they would not think of.

2. Get to the castle without your plan totally being blown. Lots of options here, be creative.

3. Fight the bandits. Your investigation (#1) will impact how much, and what, you know.

Addendum We will forego the Sunday DM Action Post, to allow for a more interactive Q&A play. That gives you a week to investigate and plan, and then implementation begins next Wednesday.

Let me know if this causes any issues. We will move forward with Vemeri in play, but I will not NPC him. If Pulpatoon returns, he won't have to catch up to the group.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by shaidar »

After thinking about it, assuming there are problems with my choice, I'd would like to swap the called shot stunt for 'By My Hand, Set the World in Motion'
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Leitz »

Busy day today, will respond this evening.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Rex »

No problem, whenever you have time.
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Pulpatoon »

Guys, I'm afraid I have to bow out of this game. I just won't be able to make even a twice-a week schedule reliably for the foreseeable.

Leitz, thank you for running this introduction to the Fate system. I look forward to reading how the story progresses with this band of characters!

Have fun!
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Leitz »

Pulpatoon wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:17 pm Guys, I'm afraid I have to bow out of this game. I just won't be able to make even a twice-a week schedule reliably for the foreseeable.

Have fun!
Pulpatoon, it won't be as much fun without you, but we'll keep the story going. You're always welcome to drop back in, if things change.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:35 pm After thinking about it, assuming there are problems with my choice, I'd would like to swap the called shot stunt for 'By My Hand, Set the World in Motion'
I have no issues with the change. How would you describe the new stunt?
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Leitz »

I'm trying to use good relationships to avoid the "scraping for coppers and having to list every piece of equipment" type of game. While that's a valid genre, it's not my favorite. You rescued the damsel in distress, found an ally, and reap the rewards.

Please let me know if I'm taking away too much player agency, or if anything else bothers you.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Rex »

Sorry to hear Pulpatoon. I hope all is well.

I am fine with whatever Leitz.
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by jemmus »

Sorry to hear also, Pulpatoon. And sorry all for being absent. The week was unexpectedly hectic, it just flew by. And everything took longer to do than expected. Will post today or tomorrow.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Leitz »

So far it seems like the next action post will deal with the cave excursion, correct?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Rex »

Sounds good.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by shaidar »

Sorry to see you go Pulpatoon, but glad you're posting again.

Leitz wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:05 pm
shaidar wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:35 pm After thinking about it, assuming there are problems with my choice, I'd would like to swap the called shot stunt for 'By My Hand, Set the World in Motion'

I have no issues with the change. How would you describe the new stunt?
His preferring fighting style is to always keep moving and use the environment around him to make it difficult for his enemies to pin him down to make him more difficult to hit but also to try and give him an advantage. That film clip I linked to further up is a good example.

Leitz wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:19 pm I'm trying to use good relationships to avoid the "scraping for coppers and having to list every piece of equipment" type of game. While that's a valid genre, it's not my favorite. You rescued the damsel in distress, found an ally, and reap the rewards.

Please let me know if I'm taking away too much player agency, or if anything else bothers you.

I'm fine with this.

Leitz wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:19 am So far it seems like the next action post will deal with the cave excursion, correct?

Sounds good to me.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 am After thinking about it, assuming there are no problems with my choice, I'd would like to swap the called shot stunt for 'By My Hand, Set the World in Motion'

His preferring fighting style is to always keep moving and use the environment around him to make it difficult for his enemies to pin him down to make him more difficult to hit but also to try and give him an advantage. That film clip I linked to further up is a good example.
Note that I added the word "no" in your first statement above. I think that's what you meant, please correct me if I err.

For the general implementation of the stunt, something like "Gives +2 when using Athletics to Gain an Advantage in a fight where there are environmental obstacles and room to move"? Which isn't the one and only, hard and fast place you can use it, but it does provide a guideline.

On a related note, we probably need basic implementations for each stunt, preferably in the next few days. I've not handled this well, but they may be relevant in the next couple of scenes. 8-) This is something we can bounce around, and as above, it gives a guideline, not a hard and fast rule.

Here are the guildeilnes on stunts.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by shaidar »

Yes it should have been 'no'.

That sounds good.

I've actually been drawing my inspiration for stunts from here:

http://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-core-stunts

But you're right, I should have put together some agreed discription with you.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:42 pm I've actually been drawing my inspiration for stunts from here:

http://evilhat.wikidot.com/fate-core-stunts

But you're right, I should have put together some agreed discription with you.
Ooohhh, nice! I'm okay with that interpretation, too. It can easily come into play shortly, so you might want to keep track of your Fate Points. :lol: I've added that url to the Resources post.

I appreciate you adding to our resources and skills. My own habit is to see something that needs doing, jump in, and figure it out as I go. Sometimes it works, usually it works much better when others jump in too. I'm glad you realized that this isn't "Leitz's game", but "Leitz's attempt to do something fun, but is an idea that needs a lot of help".

Return to “The Absent Professor (Fate Core)”