Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

#121 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Rat Room.

The Resting and the Restless.

Skeletons of No Evil room,
Barrowmaze.

Sister Magdalena cannot answer accurately how long she has been deceased but can state that the quest to close the Pit 'started in the year 717, when Aethelrick was on the throne and Bishop Edberg waged counsel from the founding of the Cathedral, the good knights going forth as Brightblades, the first fruits of St Ygg's evangel'. So by any historical reckoning, several hundred years.
there is some ooc info you may have from discussions that have taken place in the Helix chapel.

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 39#p634039

For Vann Hector, he was given a task by Osen in regard to the aforementioned O'Veargne which he couldn't fulfill. As it happened, the item in question was randomly recovered by another expedition, the shield which the character Durgo now bears.

You three characters each prayed in the chapel by the stained glass window dedicated to the lost knight when you acted upon the candle tribute created by Golgarth. So somewhere in the lost archives of your mind, the name O'Veargne might ring a bell.
The ghostly nun bows formally at Vann Hector's declaration of vanquishing the evil. Reacting to Sigrid, the ghost nun says, "Very well."

She bids the injured elf to come close, stretching forth her hand in similar fashion to the paladin when he invokes his gift of healing. There is a little tension, Moorheeth the cleric of Arcantryl whispering a warning but Sundance takes the risk seeing as no other attack or evil manifestations have happened.

The touch is chill at first, then warm, as Sister Magdalena blesses her, then as she says her "Amen" the amphora fractures into pieces with a loud cracking and the ghost suddenly dissipates from view.

Sundance receives Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=7

The healing prayer restores Sundance to full health.

Health Status

Sir Dewey 16/22
Vann Hector 10/16
Sigrid 1/14
Moorheeth 12/15
Martell 12/12
Bucko 8/8
Treyvor 6/6
Sundance 8/8

The group discuss the strange apparition and her story, marvelling in the boon of healing from beyond the grave. The two mages can complete a period of study time to replenish cast spells. a two hour period equates to four 1st level or two 2nd level spells.

actions, comments and next moves please.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

I think I am happier the ghost nun is not sround however benevolent she msy have been. Since U don't trust myself let alone a rubbed up genie spirit. I will keep an eye upon Sundance in case her healing comes at a cost.

While the mages study for the two hours, I eill use that time to check out each skeleton statue and the mouldy rugs and tapestry in more detail.

I fact you previously described the statues as having votive offerings placed in the pelvic bones. I will place some jewelry from my hair braids in each and ask a question to each skeleton, relating to whatever sense they cover.

"What is beyond the corridor with the magical darkness?" to See No Evil.

"Tell me more about Nathalas the necromancer." to Speak No Evil.

"How can you shield us from more verbal attacks, spells, songs or caterwauling?" to Hear No Evil.

Just in case the response is negative ...

Vann Hector: save vs Spells 15+ [1d20]=10

Vann Hector intelligence check vs 13 [4d6]=14

Vann Hector: Find & Remove Traps vs 30% plus Artisan toolkit +10%: find [1d100]=17 remove [1d100]=84
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#123 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid says a small prayer to the ancestors for the blessing of the nun and also prays that spirits will guide her spirit safely from this place. Then she settles down to study her goat-skin covered spellbook, her long hair falling like a veil around her as she leans over it to regain her lost spells.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight cleans his equipment and keeps an eye on Vann's examination.

"What are our healing options left? I've got a first aid kit and can lay on hands."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Spearmint »

"What are our healing options left? I've got a first aid kit and can lay on hands."
Moorheeth the cleric has cast his two CLW'S upon Sigrid & Sundance after they suffered from the caterwauling. He has no more healing available having used his 1st Aid Kit earlier.

None of Martell, Treyvor or Bucko carry any kits or potions.

The room was described here:
Skeletons 'of No Evil' room.

The characters investigate the room. Prodding the tapestries on the wall cause an irritating cloud of dust and mould to be released though the effect is not as debilitating as the fungus released in the northern passage. After a bout of coughing and leaving the tapestries in place, once the dust settles you can investigate the room again. The tapestries show faded burial scenes, typical of generic processions, absent of features that might provoke a relationship to a specific cult or named person

The rug that covers the floor has geometric patterns, is made from a thick weave of threads and though threadbare in places, could be rolled up and taken away. It has a basic value and is very heavy, the first appraisal might be 'it is more trouble than it is worth' hence it has been left behind by other explorers. Still it will fit a good sized chamber and once cleaned up, be a worthy addition to a basic cottage rather than a grand villa.

Moving tapestries and rug do not find hidden niches but careful study suggests people have sat in front of the statues echoing the thoughts that the room is some form of study or shrine. The statues, though posed in position are not dedicated to any of the Underworld gods, not an Orcus, Set or Nergal themed item. In fact approaching them you can see a few gold coins or semi-precious gems (cheap base quartz) are placed in the pelvic areas which double as a sort of basin for the votive offerings.

The skeletons are solid statues and cannot be moved or reposed to alternative positions.
Any sign of we ask a question that one might answer?

You can take the gems, you can add to the gems. They don't respond to any initial questions. Anyone taking time to meditate and pray in front of the statues or give any offering will need to action that specifically.
Just a note as I trawled the archives, Sigrid inside the Barrowmaze you find that it is much more difficult to retain spells once initially cast. Unlike normal circumstances, once you cast a spell and make a successful retain check, casting the spell again incurs an extra +1 per spell level to the retain check. (In game you cast Magic Missile three times, ordinarily passing the first two checks but actually the increasing cumulative penalty means you would not have retained it for the third time). This is one reason for stopping to renew spells. Even if you retain it, such as the Strength spell, you would incur a [4d6+4] vs intelligence check but you lesson the check, removing the penalty by study again. Hope that makes sense.

So in the two hour study you can reset all your spells, same for Sundance.

Vann Hector You do not find traps but in making a small, negligible offering you get reciprocating answers from the Skeletons.

"What is beyond the corridor with the magical darkness?" to See No Evil.

"Death that walks, Death that talks, Death that worships, Death that summons."

"Tell me more about Nathalas the necromancer." to Speak No Evil. "He seeks the Tablet of Nergal"

"How can you shield us from more verbal attacks, spells, songs or caterwauling?" to Hear No Evil. "Silence is golden, you are unseen but not unheard."

The three answers come as 'a voice in your head' rather than from any animation of the statues though you instinctively feel each has answered your question. The offering of gems was received and each crumbles into dust as though used up in seeking the knowledge you wanted. Perhaps better offerings or more informed questions garner better answers.

After a two hour rest and with no further interruptions, renewed in spells and filling lanterns with new oil, you are ready to go.

Where to next?
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

The elf is grateful for the three auguries though they don't really add much to what we already know.

I wonder if the four 'deaths' are four distinct undead or demons that habit that place or it is just a collective for everything that goes on beyond.

I am not sure I can recall much about a Nergal Tablet, I had some conversations with the clergy in Helix about the various cult factions that allegedly dwell here. (I am imagining a 'ten commandments' type headstone sized stone with evil runes and inscriptions upon). Well if 'he seeks it' means 'he has not found it yet' then does getting to it first have any merit?

I have been looking at the map

here.viewtopic.php?p=654851#p654851

That room opposite with the Wraith statues shoukd be next, then conclude the search of rooms along the undead cat corridor. If Moorheeth has no more healing, just boost Sigrid with whatever minimum we can. It has been a long day too, so even though we just rested, we should be mindful not to overstretch ourselves.

I would be up for securing this area then resting up somewhere we can make safe and reuniting for an overnight with the other group.

Sir Dewey? Sigrid? "What do you think?"

If we go to the opposite room I will try (and fail) to locate traps

Vann Hector: Find Traps vs 40% [1d100]=60 Remove/disable vs 40% [1d100]=5

but I want to check each statue in turn and with my completionist OCD, there is that cube of unexplored square but no obvious door, so I want to check each wall for secret doors.

Maybe Sundance and Treyvor can add their skills to accompany me.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight agrees with the assessment. "Let's go check out the large room to the south. I don't think it's been properly looked at." I think that's what you meant :D "There are some doors leading from it that should be examined."

As loathe as he is to not heal Sigrid by laying on hands, he remembers the times when a companion needed magical aid to not bleed out. "Let's use the first aid kit on you, and I will reserve divine aid for any who may fall."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Spearmint »

Wraith Statues room description:

The door opens freely into a chamber that has a small 10'ft porch and then widens to a 30'ft wide by 40'ft deep crypt. Two more doors, one, stout and closed, in the east wall and the other broken into pieces and hanging limp on its hinges in the south provide alternative entrances. A candle, still burning, is set into one of the many burial alcoves that line the west wall. A quick count might estimate upwards of 200 small burial alcoves, each with a dusty remnant of some deceased memorial votive; a candle, a bone, a trinket, a carving.

Set opposite you against the southern wall is a statue carved in the likeness of a shrouded bronze figure, faceless beneath a hooded cowl. It sits enthroned upon an ornate seat set into an alcove of plain white marble. Against the east wall are three more bronzed shadow type figures, each appearing as a restless, soulless garment upon a stone plinth.

Moorheeth uses 1st Aid Kit upon Sigrid vs 15 [4d6]=14 [1d4]=4

The cleric Moorheeth uses Sir Dewey's spider silk bandaids to wrap around Sigrid, binding her head in a healing turban. She receives +1hp now the rest at a health point restored over the succeeding hours. please mark kit off from sheet inventory.

Neither diligence of eye or instinct of racial trait help any of the investigative trio, Vann Hector, Treyvor, Sundance locate hidden niches, secret doors or traps. But the search reveals that the main Wraith figure is hollow and his bronze robe may be carefully lifted aside. A small person could easily snuggle themselves inside to hide, which judging by the snuffed out candle, may have happened when folk first explored here. A Mongrelmen cosy?

The alcoves look undisturbed but on first view the burial trinkets look mundane. you will need an active search action and provide a [1d8] if you desire to search a section.

The east door is not locked, opening to a ten foot wide corridor that goes directly south and ends in an archway, which should open into the east-west corridor that linked the hallways with the undead cats.

The south door, broken, leads to a thirty feet long passage that heads west. After twenty feet there is an archway with a defaced goat-headed capstone. Bones litter the floor of a ten foot square crypt.

actions please
Attachments
70210be82db8f40b9961324fdffae9f2.jpg
70210be82db8f40b9961324fdffae9f2.jpg (181.21 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He looks around at all the nooks spotting the walls. "That's going to take a while to search. Maybe checking the walls, plinths, and figures for magic might speed things up."

The Knight points to the south broken door. "Did our group do that? There was some chaos earlier when we met up." He checks his map and notes that 10ft square crypt is directly below a hallway we already used, which had secret passages.

"Do we spend time searching here, or move on to another room?"
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#130 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid gives her thanks for the use of the healing kit. She rests while the others look about the room. She peers about the room from her resting spot looking with some fascination at the statue's hidey hole, wondering what creature sought refuge there.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"No, the room was not searched I think. I do think chrcking for magic and evil might be in order. Do you not perceive anything?" he asks the mages and clerics.

Battered and splintered doors obviously point to some conflict and those bones scattered on the floor could be leftover bones gnawed upon, a skeleton ready to animate, certainly it points to an area of caution. Perhaps Bucko or Martell can guard there while others check stuff. Thieves (Vann & Treyvor) raid alcoves, clerics and mages check over a statue each.

I know usually skill checks are based on a Turn basis in regards to time. I don't know if the 'take ten' can apply where unrushed we can be that extra careful in any inspections, but I would like to clear rooms and know they are secure than rush through and miss stuff or leave dangers behind that may be hazardous on a way back.

Vann Hector: Alcove Search [1d8]=2: Secret doors vs 33% & Concealed vs 50% [1d100]=46 Find Traps vs 40% [1d100]=51

I think I might be full of great ideas but limited on results. Checking the west wall burial alcoves and that corner area by the north door.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey
Stirling wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:36 pm "No, the room was not searched I think. I do think chrcking for magic and evil might be in order. Do you not perceive anything?"
Oh crap, that's me. :oops:

The Knight calls upon his ability and scans the room for evil reverberations. If the plinths and garments don't ping as evil he will examine them.
[1d8]=7
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Spearmint »

Wraith Statues room.

Sigrid can investigate the hidey hole. You conclude that a small, slim human, i.e: svelte, unarmoured female or a gnome sized figure might be able to crawl inside. While not too comfortable, it could be a temporary hidey-hole. The Mongrelmen fit such a profile as they range from small goblinoid sizes upwards. Inside, assuming you or Treyvor physically go to look, you can find what might be described as an interior cloak pocket designed into the hollow wraith's bronze cloak. Inside that pocket is a keepsake; a small black metal ball-linked necklace with a shaped tin whistle.

see pic:

Vann Hector finds no traps or concealed exits. Inside the alcoves you can gather very minor trinkets that might be worth silvers rather than gold. What we call 'bazaar standard'. There is a swarm of rodents here, normal rats that once disturbed begin to scurry out and run around the room skirting looking for a place to find from the hands that poke in their alcove nests. Some run under the wraith figures, which will illicit much shrieking from Sigrid or Sundance, others flee out into the passage with the alcove of bones.

Sir Dewey inspects the Wraith statues, unsurprisingly they give off a very bad aura, suggesting their presence as fixtures in the crypt is designed with some malevolence in mind. The statues don't animate as Wraiths, for that be thankful, but they represent as an appearance of death, grim shrouded figures in Reaper mould.

The elf disturbing the burial goods does not trigger any effect but you cannot help the feeling that within the hollowness of the statues, some residue of evil resides and might indeed be observing and inspecting each of your in turn.

In fact, the longer you stay in this room, the more you might feel some eerie sense. That just on the periphery of your vision, one wraith statue head may nod slightly or a ghostly face appear under the hooded cowl only to be unseen once you turn around and look. After the turns spent investigating the room, you all hear a deep sigh, like a long held breath let out from the figures.

actions please, I need everyone to make a [1d20] vs Breath Weapon and provide a [1d100] which will determine the possibilities of some random effects.

it is not a gaseous or poisonous cloud released or any spewing acid or fiery breath; but rather like I described, a deep breath released.

actions & saves please.

Attachments
falling-whistle-necklace1.jpg
falling-whistle-necklace1.jpg (99.22 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Vann Hector: save vs Spells 15+ [1d20]=11Vann Hector: random chance effect [1d100]=14

Fingering through the burial alcoves, biting any gold coins to test for sincerity and flipping any broken and scratched goods. I am assuming the alcoves are shallow and I can reach in but will just prod into any rodent nest with my longsword.

"That's strange." he comments, about the sydden exhalation of breath from each wraith statue, instinctively trying to cover himself.

I suppose in these eerie crypts, after finding crucified zombies, undead cats, a ghostly nun and half-man 'Grotesques' trailing entrails, that actually this is probably all quite normal.

"Did you hear that? Spooky? Did you feel anything? Sense anything?" I will pat myself down checking I am not suddenly leaking blood or dissolving, shrinking, no magic or evil effect is taking place.

Not the wisest elf on the block, I will nevertheless try to make sense of what is happening and see if I can discern anything happening or have any insight.

Vann Hector intelligence check vs 13 [4d6]=13
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He quickly spins to find the source of the sigh, feeling in his gut that none of his companions made it.

Save vs breath(14)[1d20]=16 [1d100]=45

He raises his shield and faces the statues.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#136 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Rather than crouch down in the hidden hidey-hole, Sigrid asks Treyvor to enter and explore. When he returns with the tin whistle, Sigrid holds it up and examines it. For a moment she thinks back to a story she once read about a similar trinket...Oh Whistle and I'll Come to you...or some such title. She thinks she need to study if further and with a smile to Treyvor she pockets the item. At the sound of the sigh she turns and looks to her companions thinking they might have made the sound.

[1d20]=13
[1d100]=58
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Spearmint »

Wraith Statues room.

inspirational madness that echoes in the crypt of your minds.
https://youtu.be/_euDhMDDRq4

npc's saves: (sorry I should have randomised failed saves to a d6 not a d100. So I will divide down your rolls for those who failed ... ) Sigrid
very insightful, seems barbarians and ex-grammar school boys have read the same textbooks. +50xp
Bucko and Treyvor, two veteran delvers are less susceptible to the eerie Barrowmaze aberrancy, as is the steadfast paladin Sir Dewey. He turns to face an unseen foe and suddenly his shield blazes brilliance as the presence of undead trigger its enchanted augment.

Everyone else fails to the effect of the Wraith Statue breath exhalation. The characters are affected differently though, some in a more visible way.

The three personal shadows of Vann Hector, Sigrid & Martell suddenly animate as though they were independent Shadow creatures and each attacks from behind, surprising their host by grappling them with long misty black fingers of ectoplasm and necrotic residue, each shadow intent upon throttling its victim. Despite their advantage, only Sigrid is grasped, -2hp and chillingly, -1 point Str attribute. Not that it matters for she falls comatose on 0hp.

Vann Hector, your shadow animated but in fashion to your ring effect, you actually become Unseen to the creature and so the surprise attack upon you does not occur. However the creature attacks a figure adjacent, trying in vain to reach Sir Dewey.

Moorheeth crumples to the floor also, but not succumbing to any chill touch, rather being overcome by a deep sleep. His sudden gaping yawn unavoidable and his eyelids close as he slumps over in a heavy slumber.

Sundance sees the creepy manifestations. After ghosts and grisly cadavers, it seems all too much. Overwhelmed by an uncontrollable fear, she about turns, running through the door, screaming in panic as she goes. Her footsteps loud, louder still the opening and closing of doors behind her. She is gone, towards the Barrowmaze entrance you hope.

actions everyone please

Sir Dewey include Martel,
Sigrid is down but act for Treyvor please.
Vann Hector include an action for Bucko.
Attachments
IMG_20230527_044221.jpg
IMG_20230527_044221.jpg (150.02 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"Wake him up. He can Turn these hell-spawn!" If my experience is correct, these Shadow are undead and only wounded through magic means, not sure even silver breaks their resistances. So I will get Bucko to wake up Moorheeth.

"Light, move unto the Light!" is an obvious anti-shadow strategy.

As far as attacks, I will use my 'unseen to undead' status and backstab the critter that strangles Sigrid,

Vann Hector's: Crypt Knight's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+6]=11+6=17 double damage [1d8+1]=1+1=2

A hit, but not a very effective one unfortunately.

Vann Hector: save vs Spells 15+ [1d20]=16 saving from any further ring atrophy affect.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"Blast!" He exclaims as Sigrid falls and Sundance runs off. He deflects the attack from Vann's shadow and trains his blazing shield upon it.

"Try to position them together!" He calls out while trying to strike at Vann's shadow. Flail(17): [1d20+1]=9+1=10 sigh

Martell has his hands full with his own shadow, turning and slashing at it. Martell: Battleaxe melee [1d20+1]=1+1=2 damage [1d8+1]=6+1=7 double sigh
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#140 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid lies there looking lovely. Treyvor looks about the room and decides he is of little help here. So looking to Dewey, he shouts, "My blade is no good against shadowy terrors. I'm going to go find Sundance, in case she runs into something unexpected and in any case perhaps I can convince her to return." He then runs in the direction Sundance fled.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”