Action Thread 8

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 8

#101 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:Till picks up the sack, it's pretty light weighing about five pounds. To his disappointment... and amazement, he pulls out three bundles of 2' long sticks, each weighing about 20 pounds each.
Were these pulled from the side pockets or the main pocket? (Either way, sounds like a bag of holding of some kind... or... isn't there some backpack that puts whatever you want up at the top all the time?? Sounds familiar, anyway...)

And... the sticks... can you give us a better description of them? How many sticks in each bundle? Are they perfectly smooth sticks? Do they look like one might attach to another in any way (making a longer stick)? Or... I guess they don't look like wands, eh? Why do they weigh so much???

Actually... Till leaves examination of the sticks to the others. He'll instead sit down near the lantern and examines the short sword more closely to see if he can make out any details or carvings in the blade or hilt - anything that gives indication as to any special functions it might have.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#102 Post by Alethan »

Detailed Examination Time:

Till thinks he's on to something with the bundles of sticks, so he suspects there is a command word to animate the Sticky Wickets (that's my new name for them, icydk). He'll examine the inside of the bag for any paper that it might be written on. He'll also examine the two small pockets for contents, as well. If that results in nothing, he'll consult the map again to see if there are any errant or out-of-place words on it that might be the command words. If there is nothing there, he'll examine the inside of the sarcophagus and chest.

While he's doing the last thing, he'll more closely examine the sarcophagus to make sure the inside dimensions are congruent with the outside dimensions (i.e. he's checking it for some sort of false bottom). He will do the same thing with the stone chest, once they've pulled the mass amounts of coin out of it.

Finally, as previously mentioned, Till will more closely examine the short sword to see if it is engraved or carved in any way or if the pommel depicts anything that might give evidence to it being anything other than a normal "magical" sword.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by migellito »

Jeloon tries unfolding one bundle of sticks to see if it assembles into something.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#104 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard examines the helmet further.

OOC: How big is it compared to a human-sized helmet? Is the giant's skull still within the helmet? Does it look pretty easy to lift out of the sarcophagus?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Argennian »

Once Yosef finishes his search of the lower dais and pillar area and comes up empty-handed, he'll climb up the rope to the top and see what the others have found. He'll remain aware and keep an eye out on the surrounding area though, just in case anything else in the cavern was attracted by the sounds of the battle that just took place.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by rredmond »

Till wrote:Were these pulled from the side pockets or the main pocket?
Main
Till wrote:And... the sticks... can you give us a better description of them? How many sticks in each bundle? Are they perfectly smooth sticks? Do they look like one might attach to another in any way (making a longer stick)? Or... I guess they don't look like wands, eh? Why do they weigh so much???
Look like a big bunch of sturdy sticks, almost like cudgels, or thick short staves. Nothing else seems to be in the sack, no command words seem to be noted anywhere. Map included. As far as anyone can tell. The chest and sarcophagus both appear to be normal and have no hidden compartments. Both are simply crafted and it looks pretty certain to Till's trained eye, that they are not hiding anything.

The short sword appears to be a normal, well made short sword, exceptionally well made. Normal, except of course for the blue glow around it.
Jeloon wrote:Jeloon tries unfolding one bundle of sticks to see if it assembles into something.
Nope, just a bunch of sticks, they are all the same size, but basically not all the same. They look more like the raw materials of the stickmen than a finished product (as far as you can tell, considering the stickmen are all splinter-men at this point) and do not have any slots or tabs to connect to each other at all.
Bruard wrote:Bruard examines the helmet further.

OOC: How big is it compared to a human-sized helmet? Is the giant's skull still within the helmet? Does it look pretty easy to lift out of the sarcophagus?
It fits the giant's skull perfectly, it looks to be pretty much form fitted for it's skull. But, as any other helmet, it looks pretty easy to lift off the skull, and out of the sarcophagus.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#107 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:
Bruard wrote:Bruard examines the helmet further.

It fits the giant's skull perfectly, it looks to be pretty much form fitted for it's skull. But, as any other helmet, it looks pretty easy to lift off the skull, and out of the sarcophagus.
I bet if Bruard removes the helmet from the skull and puts it on his own head, he'll find it is a form fitted helmet on his own head, as well... just a thought. :)
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#108 Post by Alethan »

Till sheathes his new short sword. He will pack his old short sword (a perfectly serviceable weapon) onto one of the DAM's when he gets back to camp; then he takes the empty haversack/knapsack and begins putting coins from the giant's stone chest (nay, OUR stone chest) in the smaller side pockets and the main pocket in an attempt to determine the capacity of each of them. (He'll test them one pocket at a time, so as to not lose track of what he is doing).

As a way of testing his theory about it being one of the traveling knapsacks he's heard of, he will use just one gold coin, with all of the rest being silver coins, in the main compartment. Then, he'll reach his hand in and try to remove just the one gold coin and see if that works. If it does, he'll put it back in, mix them up, and try it again - seeing if he can blindly pull out just the one gold coin by "thinking" that is what he wants to pull out of the knapsack as he does so.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#109 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:
Jeloon wrote:Jeloon tries unfolding one bundle of sticks to see if it assembles into something.
Nope, just a bunch of sticks, they are all the same size, but basically not all the same. They look more like the raw materials of the stickmen than a finished product (as far as you can tell, considering the stickmen are all splinter-men at this point) and do not have any slots or tabs to connect to each other at all.
So... since these were in his "belt pouch", maybe they were one of the material components for his spell to create the Sticky Wickets and until that spell is cast, they are just ordinary sticks. Unless anyone else can think of a use for them, I'm fine with leaving them in the closed stone chest (you know, in case we find out we DO need them later and have to come back for them) and using the pack to carry the coins out.

Again, anyone want to lay claim to the pack? Or... shall we put it up for a forum roll? Say, the highest on a D100? I imagine it would be useful to a lot of us... Thoughts?
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#110 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard pulls the helmet off the skull of the dead giant. He examines it closer, and if the visor lifts up, he will lift it before he puts it on his head. If it doesn't lift, he'll still put it on his head, but first say to his companions 'Okay, guys, I'm going to put this thing on me head and I won't be able to see, or maybe I will... so watch what happens and let me know!'
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by rredmond »

ToniXX wrote:Bruard pulls the helmet off the skull of the dead giant. He examines it closer, and if the visor lifts up, he will lift it before he puts it on his head. If it doesn't lift, he'll still put it on his head, but first say to his companions 'Okay, guys, I'm going to put this thing on me head and I won't be able to see, or maybe I will... so watch what happens and let me know!'
As soon as you lift it off the giant's head it shrinks until it looks as if it would fit you perfectly. The odd visor does indeed lift up without a problem, as if it had been oiled mere minutes ago. When you place the helmet upon your head, it fits perfectly, well suited and well weighted for you.

You feel no different, you look around at your companions and there are no gasps as if you had suddenly turned into a woman or anything of the like.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#112 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote: As soon as you lift it off the giant's head it shrinks until it looks as if it would fit you perfectly. The odd visor does indeed lift up without a problem, as if it had been oiled mere minutes ago. When you place the helmet upon your head, it fits perfectly, well suited and well weighted for you.

You feel no different, you look around at your companions and there are no gasps as if you had suddenly turned into a woman or anything of the like.
Bruard then looks towards his companions and pushes the visor down. Does he see anything beyond the darkness of the back of the visor?
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by rredmond »

Bruard flips the visor down and stands suddenly stock straight as if struck by something.

PM sent.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#114 Post by ToniXX »

Bruard begins to speak, slowly at first. "Friends! I can see the strangest thing... The lamplight burned my eyes, but when I look away from it, I see some of you, but you're shapes in a dark void. I can make out Till easily, as I know he's the shortest! This must be the heat vision that my non-human friends talk, nay boast about! Ha ha!!
"Wait... wait! There are runes inside the visor that I can read."
He pauses, then starts again "Trueseeing... concentrate to use thrice each day, five minutes each use"

He waves his hands in front of himself as he looks at them "Wow..." He flips the visor back up, leaves it there for a few seconds (maybe 20), then flips it down.

Does the 'heat vision' return?

Regardless of the answer to my last question, Bruard will flip the visor back up after another 30 seconds. He's wary about moving around with it down.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by rredmond »

Bruard wrote:Does the 'heat vision' return?
Your eyes adjust quicker, but yep, the infravision returns.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#116 Post by migellito »

"My packing needs are simple.. the pack would be wasted on me, I believe."

Jeloon dumps the sticks back into the sarcophagus.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by rredmond »

Till wrote:As a way of testing his theory about it being one of the traveling knapsacks he's heard of, he will use just one gold coin, with all of the rest being silver coins, in the main compartment. Then, he'll reach his hand in and try to remove just the one gold coin and see if that works. If it does, he'll put it back in, mix them up, and try it again - seeing if he can blindly pull out just the one gold coin by "thinking" that is what he wants to pull out of the knapsack as he does so.
Sorry missed this:

The gold coin always appears to be on top when you so need it. Okay the two side pouches each hold up about 20 pounds and the main sack holds up to 80 pounds. Whatever is in it, no matter how much, the sack itself weighs only 5 pounds.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#118 Post by Alethan »

Till [s]zergs ahead[/s] looks around at the rest of the party, waiting to see what they want to do at this point...
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Argennian »

Yosef finishes looking around and seems somewhat satisfied that there is no impending doom to be brought down upon he and his companions. His eyes do eventually look over to the javelin racks upon the pillar tops, and he fights off a cold shiver of fright at the thought of one of them animating and speeding his way! :) He then turns his most curious elven attention back to the sarcophagus and the items that are retrieved...
ToniXX wrote:Bruard begins to speak, slowly at first. "Friends! I can see the strangest thing... The lamplight burned my eyes, but when I look away from it, I see some of you, but you're shapes in a dark void. I can make out Till easily, as I know he's the shortest! This must be the heat vision that my non-human friends talk, nay boast about! Ha ha!!
"Wait... wait! There are runes inside the visor that I can read."
He pauses, then starts again "Trueseeing... concentrate to use thrice each day, five minutes each use"

He waves his hands in front of himself as he looks at them "Wow..." He flips the visor back up, leaves it there for a few seconds (maybe 20), then flips it down....
Both of Yosef's eyebrows go up as he listens to Bruard explain what he can see with the helm on and visor down. "Absolutely Fascinating! A wonderous magical device to be sure! I wonder if there is anything else one can see with the helm on?" the elf ponders aloud, admiring the party's fortune in the items found and that none of them met their doom.
Alethan wrote:Till [s]zergs ahead[/s] looks around at the rest of the party, waiting to see what they want to do at this point...
Yosef snaps to again and offers a few words. "Friends, if we are satisfied that we have searched this dais and sarcophagus thoroughly, let us gather up all of these items and take them back to camp, for further examination."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#120 Post by migellito »

"I agree, let's leave this place."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”