Action Thread 20

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread 20

#101 Post by Argennian »

With everyone agreed to an ambush, Yosef recommends they fall back into the two openings on the middle level, or even down the ramp a ways, and make ready to engage whichever group of dirty humanoids arrives first. "... we should try and target any goblin that has a horn first, if at all possible. I can move down the ramp and attempt another ruse to draw their attentions that way. If the opportunity presents itself, I will use my spell to charm one of them..."

The elf fighter/mage will then move over to middle of the ramp and descend it just enough to still be able to see the walkway approach as well as the top of the ladder. He'll keep his bow and a readied arrow to hand.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#102 Post by ToniXX »

rredmond wrote:New goblins come across the elevated walkway and old goblins depart. Sometimes it's only four, but most of the time twelve goblins replace twelve goblins.
Given this, we should be well aware of the approach of the new gobbies.Bruard will follow Yosef's lead and wait partway down the ramp, mace and shield in hand. He'll watch the ladder and door.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#103 Post by Alethan »

"What kind of crowd control magic do you have, Yosef? If we have twelve come across the walkway, we don't want to be trapped between them and the four above; we'll want to take out as many as possible as fast as we can. If it is just four that come across the walkway, I don't think we should be as worried," Till replies in hushed tones.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#104 Post by dmw71 »

While the elf's patience is frustrating to the half orc, Jeloon gives a nod to Yosef, acknowledging him for his fine strategic mind. She creeps to a similar position as the elf on the opposite side of the ramp and grips the hilt of her sword. While no words pass her lips, her toothy smile speaks volumes as the time nears and her excitement level intensifies.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:"What kind of crowd control magic do you have, Yosef? If we have twelve come across the walkway, we don't want to be trapped between them and the four above; we'll want to take out as many as possible as fast as we can. If it is just four that come across the walkway, I don't think we should be as worried," Till replies in hushed tones.
I'll update tomorrow, and give Mitch a chance to weigh in on this one, just in case.
ToniXX wrote:Given this, we should be well aware of the approach of the new gobbies.
Yup.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#106 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"What kind of crowd control magic do you have, Yosef? If we have twelve come across the walkway, we don't want to be trapped between them and the four above; we'll want to take out as many as possible as fast as we can. If it is just four that come across the walkway, I don't think we should be as worried," Till replies in hushed tones.
Bruard chimes in before Yosef can reply: I have hold person. I can cast it on up to three of them.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Argennian »

"Unfortunately, I do not have any spells that would be considered useful for crowd control situations, but I do have that one mage's scroll we found, the one with a Slow spell on it. Granted I understand the true power of the scroll, it should be able to affect about a half dozen individuals if they are all within the area of effect. As I mentioned when we discussed tactics, I had hoped to keep those scroll spells in reserve for later, perhaps during a more dangerous encounter. But if we lose the element of surprise, it could come in handy," Yosef offers in whispered consideration to Till and the others.

After a deep, slow breath, the elf continues. "I had hoped with that sizable raiding party departed, there would only be a small contingent of goblins left to reinforce the ones here when the shift change occurs. Either way, I do, of course, also have that wand we retrieved from the rat king's treasure. Although I am still not certain how it will function exactly, it should... do the trick, as Dravic used to say. Of course, I am also guessing that would be the end of our stealthy designs and endeavors..."

OOC: apols for the lateness here all. Had to drive up to Reno at the last minute yesterday to help out the lone field tech up here this week.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#108 Post by dmw71 »

"And I have my sword." Jeloon hisses.

"All we'll need."
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#109 Post by Alethan »

With Bruard watching the walkway, Till settles down to wait for the shift change. He keeps to the shadows and watches the opening with the ladder to make sure they aren't surprised by goblins from above.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by rredmond »

Day 22 – Just about-Dawn Sortie -- 7:01 am

The party starts their waiting. As the sun starts to come up, you see, and hear a group of goblins approaching. They are not stealthy in any way. Calling up to the guards on the roof in a friendly manner.

Yosef, Jeloon and Bruard waiting down the ramp, but they have a clear view of the walkway and the ladder going up to the top level. Till keeps to the shadows with an eye on the ladder.

The goblins on the elevated walkway come closer and the trapdoor at the top of the ladder is thrown open. Those that understand goblin hear joking that they'll have to wake the sleepyheads on the middle level.

I'll just leave this, I don't know when, or what you want to do. But the dawn gives you all clear sight and sound of what's going on, and plenty of great shadows for Till.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 13/13; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: long sword; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Yosef; 3- Jeloon; 4- Bruard BEHIND: Eyman and Van; Ancor, Rosin, DAMs
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 50 minutes (Yosef), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Argennian »

Yosef whispers what he hears to Jeloon and Bruard while he scrutinizes the approaching group of goblins to count their number and see if he notices whether or not one of them is wearing a horn or looks like a leader type.

When the trapdoor opens from the roof of the tower, the elf backs down the ramp ever so slightly to be as out of view as he can be but still watch the approaching walkway, and whispers to his human and half-orc companions. "They are also coming down from the roof to wake the ones we left dead in their beds. Fall back in the shadows and make ready. I'll try and lure some of them down below..."

OOC: Ron, do any of the approaching goblins on the walkway have a horn or look like a leader type? How many of them are there? Can Yosef calculate if they will arrive at the tower before the ones from above can descend?

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote: OOC: Ron, do any of the approaching goblins on the walkway have a horn or look like a leader type? How many of them are there? Can Yosef calculate if they will arrive at the tower before the ones from above can descend?
One is definitely leading the others, though he doesn't seem to have a horn.
A top floor goblin can begin and end it's descent of the ladder before the relief goblins will get to the tower archway entrance.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#113 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon, finally satisfied that the conflict she's been anticipating will be upon her momentarily, heeds Yosef's advice and, careful to be quiet, crouches down as low as she can in an effort to conceal herself in shadow as much as possible without moving too much in her metal armor and potentially betraying her -- and their -- location.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#114 Post by Alethan »

Till stays in the shadows near the ladder. If the goblin with the horn descends, that will be his target.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#115 Post by ToniXX »

dmw71 wrote:Jeloon, finally satisfied that the conflict she's been anticipating will be upon her momentarily, heeds Yosef's advice and, careful to be quiet, crouches down as low as she can in an effort to conceal herself in shadow as much as possible without moving too much in her metal armor and potentially betraying her -- and their -- location.
Bruard does the same, moving slowly to keep metal armor from making noise.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by rredmond »

Day 22 – Just about-Dawn Sortie -- 7:05 am

There are four goblins heading in to relieve some of the goblins in the tower. It’s getting lighter and lighter outside as the sun gets brighter. Before the goblins get to the arched opening, Yosef backs down the ramp a bit to stay out of sight, and enjoins the others to a stealthy attack. Jeloon and Bruard crouche in as large a shadow as each can find, preparing to attack. Till is enrobed in shadows near the ladder, where a goblin, horn around his neck, descends.

The rooftop goblin comes down and hits the floor looking at, and hailing the four incoming goblins, who are between 4 and 8 feet from the archway into the tower. There is another goblin that seems to be preparing to descend from the rooftop.

There are 5 goblins on the same “level” as you all (Jeloon, Bruard and Yosef being a little lower than this second level). 1 goblin (with a horn) is facing away from you all (in particular Till) and the four goblins on the elevated walkway are facing toward you, but don’t seem to see you at all. None of them are prepared for attack.

There are 3 goblins on the roof top, and one of those appears ready to start descending the ladder.

If folks are attacking, someone please just roll an initiative roll. It’ll come with all sorts of bonuses – as long as it ain’t a one y’all should be fine. Hope I didn’t jinx ya. :D

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 13/13; Bruard - 19/19
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: long sword; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Till; 2- Yosef; 3- Jeloon; 4- Bruard BEHIND: Eyman and Van; Ancor, Rosin, DAMs
Consumables: Lantern - (Bruard) continual light 60' radius; Torch, 50 minutes (Yosef), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#117 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:If folks are attacking, someone please just roll an initiative roll. It’ll come with all sorts of bonuses – as long as it ain’t a one y’all should be fine.
Initiative [1d6] = 2

It's not a 1.
:D
-- Project --

-- DM --
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Argennian »

Thinking to initiate another ruse attempt in order to draw some of the goblins below and give his companions hiding in the shadows a better chance to surprise them, Yosef moves down the ramp and over by the outer doors. He removes his pack, sets it on the ground and moves to crouch behind it so that his back is to the outer door and he's facing the ramp. He sets his bow and readied arrow down on the ground and loosens his sword in its scabbard for an easy draw before removing his coin purse from his belt, opening the top of his pack and placing it inside. The elf then pulls his hood back over his head to hide his non-goblin features and makes ready...

When the fighter/mage hears the goblin descending the ladder reach the middle level floor and hail the relief guards that just arrived, he resumes his gravely humanoid voice and begins speaking in goblin. "Hey... come looks what we found hidden! Bunch a coins and other... weird things here in dis pack. Hrrr...wonder what dis for?" he proffers in a concocted query that he hopes will draw them down to him.

Yosef keeps his head low and pretends to rummage through his pack for a brief moment. He will then remove his coin purse from the pack and dump it out on the ground so the coins clang and disperse around him. "Gold! It be gold!!" he squeals in his best surprised-goblin-that-just-found-gold voice.

If the other goblins call out to him or ask him any questions, he'll ignore them and start rummaging the pack as if he's looking for more treasure, mumbling the word Gold! excitedly, over and over again.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#119 Post by dmw71 »

Jeloon sits patiently and awaits the outcome of the ruse Yosef is attempting to pull. She fixes her eyes on the goblins approaching and attempts to lock in on the horn-toting nuisance. If presented with an opportunity, she will erupt from her hiding spot and furiously release her pent up frustrations upon the hapless creatures by introducing them to the razor-sharp blade of her sword.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#120 Post by Alethan »

As soon as Till sees any movement by Jeloon, he springs out and attacks the goblin with the horn.

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”