Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Barrowmaze: Where-Rats

#101 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid catching sight of Vann's signal collars Treyvor and points him in that direction telling him Vann needs assistance immediately. Following the thief and Sir Dewey until they come to the feline phantoms. Treyvor moves in to attack, while Sigrid trying to focus her mind and prevent a catastrophe, casts magic missile at the first one she catches in her view.

Treyvor's Saving Throw: [1d20]=17
Sigrid's Saving Throw: [1d20]=12
Magic Missile damage: [1d4+1]=4+1=5
Chance to retain spell vs. 14 Int.: [4d6+1]=22+1=23
-6 Hit Point recorded.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"What did you find, Vann? Cats?" His sense of humor dries up as fast as his shield illuminates. "Undead cats!"

Save vs breath: [1d20]=18

The Knight moves to bash the undead kitties.
Flail(17): [1d20+1]=5+1=6 Obviously I haven't been properly penitent lately.

Martell follows a round later.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring beyond the Rat Room.

Sundance: save 15+ vs Caterwauling [1d20]=14 longsword melee [1d20+1]=10+1=11 [1d8]=5

The mangy, flea and maggot ridden cats keen in a high pitched meowing chorus. The sound angry and orchestrated together, amplified in the echoing hall, the effect is bloody and deadly!
I use this sound to frighten squirrels away from my attic!

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZTn_5kbYibU?feature=share
Reeling from their heads being pierced by the noise, Vann Hector & Sir Dewey bleed profusely -6hp each, the aching pitch affecting their trained martial skills and though each lunges at a cat, the felines dodge nimbly away from being bludgeoned or skewered.

Sigrid & Sundance are both bludgeoned by the sound and skewered inside their craniums. The intense frequency and vibration from the caterwauling causes their heads to literally implode. Both of the mages fail to save against the breath weapon effects and the cats chorus inflicts a heavy toll upon their physical and mental states. -13hp each. It is Cat estrophic! In a pool of blood leaking from ear drums and noses, both collapse upon the floor and begin to bleed out.
sorry Darithe, the full damage applied to a failed save. On negative hp, you fall prior to your spell casting.
Sigrid -7hp/14
Sundance -5hp/8

Coming upon the corridor, Moorheeth, cleric of Arcantryl is forced to intercede to save their lives, laying hands upin them and praying for divine favour.

Moorheeth casts Cure Light Wounds: Sigrid [1d8]=8 Sundance [1d8]=6

Each are moments from death but the timely intervention sends the Valkyries away from collecting the barbarian mages soul, the seidr lives, barely in minimal health. The mercenary mage fares little better, brought back from the precipice too.

both have 1hp.

The cats scatter, running away to hide in burial alcoves or down the corridor away from danger. While the ladies are attended to, the menfolk stab and hack the furry fiends. Treyvor & Bucko deal with one, finishing the ninth of its Undead lives.

now that would be something. An undead cat with nine undead lives! ...

Treyvor pick melee [1d20]=15 [1d4+1]=1+1=2Bucko: melee broadsword [1d20]=6[2d4]=6

That leaves three cats, one each for Sir Dewey, Vann Hector & Martell to show who is topdog in the Barrowmaze.

actions, attacks gentlemen please.

Health Status

Sir Dewey 16/22
Vann Hector 10/16
Sigrid 1/14
Moorheeth 12/15
Martell 12/12
Bucko 8/8
Treyvor 6/6
Sundance 1/8
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Got to stop them before they emit another screeching call.

Vann Hector's: Crypt Knight's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=19+2=21 damage [1d8+1]=7+1=8

"Here kitty, kitty. Take that!" he stabd one, his longsword going down its throat, slicing stomach and internals and exiting out under the tail flap. Dangling on his blade, I will shake it off, casting it to splatter against a wall.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight says a quick prayer of thanks for Moorheeth then focuses his attention on the remaining cats.

Flail(17): [1d20+1]=18+1=19
Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(2+4)=6+2=8 L:[1d6+2]=6+2=8

Martell: Battleaxe melee [1d20+1]=20+1=21 damage [1d8+1]=3+1=4

Now that the major threat has passed, the boys are finally able to do their one job. :D

Sir Dewey moves to help Sigrid after dispatching the cat.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Stirling »

Certainly having both our mages upon a single hit point and no healing left for the rest of the day is a serious blow. I think we can still explore but perhaps need to cinduct it in a more 'dungeon crawl' room by room sweep.

Clear an area, make it secure. We don't need a place to camp overnight, just be secure until we explore more or unite bith groups again.
"How about..... a few hours from now? Or, the next time either group needs more help."
I know the clerics need a new day to receive spells but mages can replenish cast ones with some study time.

I checked the magic thread and a two hour or three hour uninterrupted break could give each mage any cast spells back. I think that might be worthwhile to do, even just for that sole benefit.

I am happy to continue at any exploration pace of course. Having dealt with the Undead Cats, I would at least like to sesrch the burial alcoves in this eastern hallway, check out thst buried jar and then agree next moves.

Carry on exploring? Or take a study break for the mages? Can others continue to check out rooms and passages while they study?

Sir Dewey, Sigrid, Moorheeth, what do you prefer?

Given a choice of place to study, I might favour either the cleared Rat Room, No Evil Skeleton room, Mural room or even in the Barrow Crypt at the entrance.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#107 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

The knocking still sounding in her head, Sigrid tries to shake it off. To nearly die to a kitty, dead or not, is shock to her love of felines. She thanks Moorheath and Sir Dewey, "My knights in shining armor!" Looking to Vann, she says, "A bit of study and rest might be in order," glancing to Sundance to see if she agrees.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Spearmint »

Ok. Is there a particular room or area you prefer to study and rest in? Do you all rest or do some continue to explore neighbouring areas? If you use the 'No Evil' Skeletons room, do you try and interact with them beyond trying to bend their limbs?

I will give you a day or so to discuss then update any resolutions.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"I'm glad to see everyone back up and about. We need to regroup, and possibly recuperate."

Sir Dewey suggests searching the immediate area where the cats were and maybe moving back towards the see no evil room. "Bashing any of these stuck doors may draw unwanted attention to our ailing group. There may be more secret doors around, that large room south of the 'no evil' room could be a place to look."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Spearmint »

Surviving the head splitting caterwauling, the group withdraw to the relative safety of the crypt dubbed as No Evil Skeletons room.

A search of the alcoves in the east and west halls undertaken before you leave. It garners minor trove, adding to the sack of bazaar standard curiosities but not generating any new valuable prizes with the exception of the amphora jar buried under the pile of rubble.
a long necked earthenware jar stands in the corner.

Unstable wall vs 1-2 [1d6]=3.

The jar, in fine but plain fettle is retrieved, carefully moving aside portions of collapsed stonework. Inside are ashes and bone portions. While books are laid out to study, the earthenware is inspected too, Vann Hector polishing the vase basin to clear off the grime.

The action triggers an effect which causes some alarm among those in the room. Functioning as a 'spirit jar', the relic has not only the ashes and bone fragments of the deceased but also has retained the essence of the person's soul.

There is no genie in this lamp, but a haunted soul manifesting in death as she once was in life. A spectral, wraith like woman dressed in dark black habit, wimple and couvrechef. A gaunt visage of one dead, with blackened eyes in deep shadow, yet despite her ghostly appearance, the figure makes no aggressive actions, instead looking at her surrounds and the astonished faces of those in the room.

actions please
Attachments
Spirit jar ghost
Spirit jar ghost
IMG_20230503_142109.jpg (23.36 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Long necked spirit jar
Long necked spirit jar
rcnir_2023_00012342_master.jpeg (46.57 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Invisible and chilled, not chilled out but cold, I don't think ghostie nuns are my thing, especially ones that come in a jar. I was hoping to get in a surprise back stab before it manifests any deadly ability.

Vann Hector's: Crypt Knight's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+6]=6+6=12 double damage [1d8+1]=2+1=3

My actual thought was she might be some kind of Banshee and I didn't want to give her the opportunity to sing more evil Caterwauling. Trying to link her as a banshee to crooning Undead cats. They might have learned such evil arts from her? If she is indeed an undead banshee and not a holy saint of Ygg cometh now to bless us. :roll:
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#112 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

In no condition to withstand another unprovoked attack, Sigrid is careful to remain still, though she does look at the spirit-woman, a pleasant smile on her face. She was once a holy woman, so perhaps benevolence is still within her spirit.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"Whoa! Stop Vann!" The Knight tries to halt any offensive actions while moving between the specter and the mages.

He tries to communicate with the specter. "I am Sir Dewey, Knight of St. Ygg. What is your name?"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Spearmint »

The Resting and the Restless.

Skeletons of No Evil room,
Barrowmaze.

Vann Hector just can't help himself, restless furtive hands that are more accustomed to sleight and guile rub the spectre up the wrong way. A spectral spirit in the guise of a wraith like nun appears, confused initially as to her surrounds and summoning frm the afterlife.

The elf instinctively attacks but even with his advantage, he misses piercing her ghostly form. Sir Dewey cautions from further aggression.

"Sister Magdalena. I accompanied brave knights here, tending their wounds, taking their confessions. They fell ... we all fell. The Pit corrupts, we could not close it. The forces of Nathalas were too strong. We hid the Fount of Law lest it fall too into his hands." the Spectre shields herself from the brilliance of the paladin's shield.

"My lady is injured?"

The spectre can see the bandages wrapped around Sundance and Sigrid

Moorheeth whispers a warning, having cast a discreet Detect Evil, he senses an aura that disquiets him.

actions please.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

I suppose in this crypt filled labyrinth, everything radiates some kind of evil or necrotic radiance. I will give way to the experience of the cleric and paladin, clearly dealing with nuns, dead or alive, is in keeping with theur vocations more than mine.

where is Darkmane? Hope he is well.

The elf will step away from the amphora. He wonders if the ghost is stuck within certain movement limits and wonders too if breaking the jar will release her spirit to the ever after or release her to come after us? Interesting she reacts to the Light effect. I know soectres are creatures of dark and shadow and in passing to Moorheeth will suggest he keeps that in mind.

"Who is this Nathalas?"

At least if the ghost nun speaks truth, we should gain as much information before dispelling her.

in the back of his mind he wonders too at the value of the jar and hawking her as a curiosity or bazaar trinket which the church or Arcanum Collegiate might pay good money for. :roll:
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight bows courteously. "Good to meet you, Sister. I apologize for my shield, but your current state activates it."

"You speak of the Pit and the Fount of Law. If such a thing still exists, it should be recovered. Are you able to tell me where it was hidden?"

Sir Dewey contemplates her situation. "Do you know if you are bound to the vase or this alcove? Actually, tell me how you came to be linked in the first place. Is there something you need to be released?"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Spearmint »

The Resting and the Restless.

Skeletons of No Evil room,
Barrowmaze.

"Nathalas, a necromancer. He has made a covenant with Set to defy death and command demons. They become thralls to his power. He summons them from the Abyss to lurk in the Barrowmaze in order to search for Nergals's runes." the spectral nun answers the elf's questions.

She still shies from the light, even in her ghostly form. "I don't know where the Fount Orb may be found. It was carried away by the murderous traitor Dhekeon who slew the brave O'Veargne. I refused to bow the knee and the followers of Nergal entombed my body within the walls. My spirit lives for I yearned to see Truth and Justice prevail."

That her spirit lives is not in doubt but how it does so is not something sound doctrine has much to expound upon. Moorheeth has ill feelings regarding her presence. Perhaps if left alone her spirit may dissipate back into the amphora which could be some kind of container such as a soul gem or have a Magic Jar like effect.

"Your lady is injured. I could use my gifts to restore one by Ygg's blessing if you are willing?" she says, once more pointing beyond the guardian line of men to the two injured mages, Sigrid and Sundance.

The ghost nun offers to heal one of the injured. She tells you that centuries ago, knights were commissioned to close a portal to hell known as 'the Pit of Chaos', using a holy relic known as the Fount of Law. Many portals to the underworld exist, with varying effects but none as Abyssal as the Pit which the followers of Set use to raise an army to challenge Nergal power. Some of the knights were secretly of 'the Chosen', Nergals's devoted followers, and one betrayed the godly knights who died within the labyrinths. The Gods of Law are restoring the knights blessed possessions that the quest to defeat the god's of the underworld may be completed.

any actions or further questions, comments, observations?
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#118 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

A look of relief crosses her painted face. At last they have found a spirit of good within this place of evil. "Your offer is most kind and generous my lady," she speaks to the shade of the holy woman, "But I could not offer myself as more worthy of healing than my sister spellweaver. So I ask that you heal Lady Sundance with your blessing."
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

The elf is taking his cue from the cleric Moorheeth who has reservations regarding the rubbed up spirit. She has an odd feel about her presence.

He thinks back to the time we chanted together and summined the Sauron priest and I wonder if I can recall anything that might somehow connect the two deceased's spirits still being able to manifest.

Vann Hector intelligence check vs 13 [4d6]=14

If I can do so undetected, I will reload my crossbows. If there is a hint of danger then my attacks woukd be to break the jar rather than fight a ghost.

Not sure, but I think I may have heard of one of those names mentioned in Brazen Strumpet tavern gossip.

"We do not fear the wrath of Nergal and will make justice for your life. We have vanquished one Death Knight, Varghoulis and I bear the sword of his lieutenant. Indeed the Sunburst Shield of Sir Dewey was taken from his otherworldly crypt."

Would an evil spirit call upon St Ygg's name to bring healing? Can she not heal both? Why does she remain bound in a jar and not roaming these places like a haunting ghost?

We need to complete some rest and spell restoration. Then move on with our exploring. Do we bring the nun-ghost with us or stick her jar in a corner someone for another group to find?
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight makes a note of the names and rumors the nun shares. "Thank you, my lady. I believe that Truth and Justice will prevail here. We merely need more information and time."

He muses on the information. "An open portal to the hells in the barrow would explain quite a lot. And the uptick of activity suggests that it is being used again."

"Could you tell me, Lady, when did your expedition set forth? How long has it been?"

Return to “Completed Expeditions”