Kinslayer OOC

archolewa
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC

#61 Post by archolewa »

Edeldhur wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:16 pm So there is no recharging extra duration and stuff like that?
Then I’ll take crossbow, just to be different from the usual ;)
Nope. Game explicitly says that multi attacks and the like work with crossbows.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by shaidar »

So we have a MU, cleric and Lupine. Were you planning any NPCs for the group? We might need a fighter or two and maybe a thief if we want locks picked?

I guess it depends on the jobs we take.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#63 Post by archolewa »

shaidar wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:33 am So we have a MU, cleric and Lupine. Were you planning any NPCs for the group? We might need a fighter or two and maybe a thief if we want locks picked?
Not for free. The game has rules for hirelings, so if you want to try to recruit some, feel free to! I'm going to be pretty generous with the gold so that you guys level fairly quickly, and there aren't any training costs for leveling up (just for applying weapon feats and learning spells), so you should have no problem affording some hirelings after the first adventure. You might even be able to recruit some *for* your first adventure if you sweet talk them enough.

Also, you guys have a pretty solid front line for level 1 since all three of you are effectively hybrid fighters. A fighter would have 1-2 HP over the Magic-User and Cleric, but that's about it (not nothing, but not an overwhelming advantage either). As for lock picking, considering how high the chance of failure is for even a thief to pick a lock, I don't think it'd be good adventure design for important locked doors to be *only* openable by lockpicking. A thief has a chance of making things easier and safer of course, but you guys will be able to work around locks.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by shaidar »

Fair enough, we'll just have be a little careful with that first adventure :)

Your reply does make feel better.
Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by Edeldhur »

archolewa wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:01 pm
Edeldhur wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:16 pm So there is no recharging extra duration and stuff like that?
Then I’ll take crossbow, just to be different from the usual ;)
Nope. Game explicitly says that multi attacks and the like work with crossbows.
Sweet, then I am decided.
Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Edeldhur »

Maybe the ‘thieving’ is not essential, but I always like to have a scout in the group. We could try to hire one.

Btw, got delayed with eq since today is my ‘live’ RPG game (AD&D2e) + it is weekend, family et al.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by shaidar »

My character can fill the scouting roll, so no problems there.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#68 Post by archolewa »

Edeldhur wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:31 pm Maybe the ‘thieving’ is not essential, but I always like to have a scout in the group. We could try to hire one.

Btw, got delayed with eq since today is my ‘live’ RPG game (AD&D2e) + it is weekend, family et al.
How *dare* you have priorities outside of a random play-by-post game on the internet!

Honestly, expect me to be less available on the weekends as well. Working from home + having a small child means that while it's easy to steal 15 minutes here or there during the workday, it's a lot harder to do that on the weekend.
Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by Edeldhur »

archolewa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:27 pm
Edeldhur wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:31 pm Maybe the ‘thieving’ is not essential, but I always like to have a scout in the group. We could try to hire one.

How *dare* you have priorities outside of a random play-by-post game on the internet!

Honestly, expect me to be less available on the weekends as well. Working from home + having a small child means that while it's easy to steal 15 minutes here or there during the workday, it's a lot harder to do that on the weekend.
I apologize! :D
Yeah, that is about my case also. Kids are not so small anymore, but still small enough Mom and Dad need to be there for them.
During the week, they are off at school, and for now I still work a lot from home, so yeah can sneak a peak at the forums more often.

Equipment list is underway - think I am only missing weapons and armor.
I am now seriously considering getting Light as my spell, just because it bugs me having to carry around torches and/or lanterns + oil around :P
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by shaidar »

Light is quite useful and has many defensive and offensive uses, particularly when reversed.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#71 Post by archolewa »

shaidar wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:39 pm Light is quite useful and has many defensive and offensive uses, particularly when reversed.
Even when not reversed, casting light at an opponent's eyes can blind them for the duration of the spell, if they fail a saving throw. I don't remember if Dark Dungeons X explicitly allows this, or if that's something from other systems, but I *love* that interaction so much that I'd absolutely let a player do it here.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by shaidar »

Yeah, the spell description describes using either version to blind someone.

It's worth mentioning RAW that a MU has to choose the normal or reversed version at memorisation, unlike clerics/druids.
Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by Edeldhur »

I guess at the end of the day Light is more interesting as an 'offensive' spell that as a 'constant' light source - duration is 1hr + 10min/level, right? So I guess I will still need those torches or oil lamp :D
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by ybn1197 »

Edeldhur wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:34 pm
archolewa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:27 pm

I apologize! :D
Yeah, that is about my case also. Kids are not so small anymore, but still small enough Mom and Dad need to be there for them.
During the week, they are off at school, and for now I still work a lot from home, so yeah can sneak a peak at the forums more often.

Equipment list is underway - think I am only missing weapons and armor.
I am now seriously considering getting Light as my spell, just because it bugs me having to carry around torches and/or lanterns + oil around :P
It doesn't change when they get older, the responsibility just shifts. Now we spend time with the grandkids on the weekend.

How do you handle dice rolls for character generation? 3d6 down the line, 3d6 placed, etc?
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by shaidar »

It's simpler than that, you just arrange the following as you want:

16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 9.

A cleric must have a minimum WIS of 14 and CHR 13.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#76 Post by archolewa »

shaidar wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:18 pm It's simpler than that, you just arrange the following as you want:

16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 9.

A cleric must have a minimum WIS of 14 and CHR 13.
To build on this, ability score modifiers are the following (for these six stats):

16: +2
13,14: +1
12,11,9: +0

Note that these modifiers generally only apply in combat situations (though the intelligence modifier modifies the number of skills you can gain proficiency in, proficiency granting a +1 to the relevant stat check). For open ended stat checks, you use the *value* *not* the modifier. So, suppose you have a charisma of 14, and you're trying to convince a band of bandits not to mess with you. Then, you would roll d20 + 14. If the result is 20 or higher, you pass.

So your stats are primarily important for determining how you do *outside* of combat, and you are really good at one class of checks, pretty good at two classes, and then mediocre at the other three.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by archolewa »

@Edeldhur Despite the fact that Dark Dungeons X lists weight for items, we won't actually be tracking encumbrance. We'll be using the default Dark Dungeons X rule, which is that movement rate is only affected by what class of armor you're wearing, and the GM will give you the stink eye if you act like your pants are also a bag of holding.
Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by Edeldhur »

archolewa wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:51 am @Edeldhur Despite the fact that Dark Dungeons X lists weight for items, we won't actually be tracking encumbrance. We'll be using the default Dark Dungeons X rule, which is that movement rate is only affected by what class of armor you're wearing, and the GM will give you the stink eye if you act like your pants are also a bag of holding.
Ok, that sounds good - I still need to add my weapons and armor.
Apologies for my delay as this week was particularly busy at work, and also my wife had to travel unexpectedly - meaning I am single Dad for the whole week :P
Still ready to proceed if there is some intros to be made, unless we are getting in a fight right away hahaha.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#79 Post by archolewa »

Edeldhur wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:50 am
archolewa wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 12:51 am @Edeldhur Despite the fact that Dark Dungeons X lists weight for items, we won't actually be tracking encumbrance. We'll be using the default Dark Dungeons X rule, which is that movement rate is only affected by what class of armor you're wearing, and the GM will give you the stink eye if you act like your pants are also a bag of holding.
Ok, that sounds good - I still need to add my weapons and armor.
Apologies for my delay as this week was particularly busy at work, and also my wife had to travel unexpectedly - meaning I am single Dad for the whole week :P
Still ready to proceed if there is some intros to be made, unless we are getting in a fight right away hahaha.
We're still waiting on ybn1197's character. My plan once we get started was to open in a tavern (of course!) about a month or so after Princess Flora's speech (so early May). I'm imagining that your three characters already know each other, maybe from the same disbanded unit, maybe from the same village, maybe went to bootcamp together, whatever. I'll drop a couple of potential quest hooks that one of you encountered in the month since the speech, and then the three of you can take it from there.
archolewa
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Kinslayer OOC

#80 Post by archolewa »

I'm gonna get the game started next Friday, June 7th. @ybn if your character isn't ready by then, that's fine. I'll whip up a (possibly temporary) hireling to flesh out the ranks, and we can incorporate your character as soon as you're ready. Just ready to get the ball rolling on this.

Return to “Shadow of the Kinslayer (Dark Dungeons X)”