Re: Project Overview

#42 Post by Rex »

Good luck Dave!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#43 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:59 pmWell, except that it's not D&D.
:lol:
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#44 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:32 amGood luck Dave!
Thanks, Rex.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Good Luck Dave!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by dmw71 »

BaltoBruiser wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:40 pm Good Luck Dave!
Thanks!
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Edeldhur
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Edeldhur »

All the best with the project!
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by hedgeknight »

We'll be here when you get ready to roll, Dave! :)
Winter is coming...
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rex »

I am not sure pbp is the best place for a play test with such a short time line, but if you need help with anything just let us know. I am willing to help and am sure you would get more offers from others too.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by dmw71 »

I know this is archived, but I will occasionally still check in and provide quick status updates.

So, honestly, I can't even remember where I left things in terms of updates here on the forums (I work primarily in Google Docs and Apple Notes), and it will probably just be easier for me to just provide a general status of where the project stands.

A few nights ago I wasted spent probably three or four hours detailing a gnome lair. I really like the idea and concept of it, but my brother wisely pointed out that the gnome lair won't really be needed for the adventure. Especially if I'm considering writing this to be played at a convention.

Maybe at the inaugural Unseen Servant Con... potentially in May 2025? :shock:

With the short nature of the adventure in mind, the party will most likely begin either:
  1. Nearing the conclusion of their meeting with their gnome quest giver, or possibly having just left the gnome lair with the details of their objective (hence, the lack of need for a full map detailing their entire lair), or
  2. Approaching the woodland edge of the rainforest where the bullywug lair is now located.
I'm leaning towards the former.

However, the majority of the adventure will take place in and around the bullywug lair, so that is where I have shifted my focus.

This afternoon I started perusing the maps created by Dyson Logos that can freely be used in commercial products (why reinvent the wheel, right?) and I found a map that I really think might work. My only real concern is that it might be too simple.
This is the one I'm looking at:

Removed.

I actually included the image of the map, and a link to where I found it, but I've redacted it just in case any of you want to be playtesters and don't want anything spoiled.

But, trust me when I say it's a simple map. There is only room for four keyed locations... maybe five.

That said, on the chance that I ultimately don't end up using this exact map, it will serve as a strong inspiration for any replacement, so nothing I develop for it now will end up being wasted.

Coming up with what's in each area of a bullywug lair is actually kind of fun! I already have ideas for more than four areas (which is why I'm questioning the size of the map I found), but I could maybe pare my ideas down. Or maybe find a second map that ties to a second, unconnected entrance?

But, the ideas are flowing and progress is definitely being made.

The actual writing of the adventure could potentially come together pretty quickly. The rest of it (layout, design, maps, etc...) promised to be a heck of a hurdle to overcome, and will still likely take a good bit of time, but being able to actually have "stuff" to playtest with...

Soon?
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Leitz »

I tend to start as close to the action as possible, while still grounding the characters in the scene. In The Unknown Darkness the characters were on the edge of a wooded area, as soon as they left their spot they would be exposed to risk. This gave several advantages:

1. Characters were isolated from civilization, increasing the perception of threat. There was no city guard or cavalry to rescue them.
2. They were in a wood, an enclosed space that felt safe. As soon as they stepped out of it, they were on the adventure.
3. There was no chance of getting bogged down in dialog and questions about the quest. If the characters had a question, they could as OOC and they would be given the information if it would have been discussed at the meeting. Some players seem happy to pester the quest giver and never actually go on the quest. Starting right outside the dungeon precluded that.
4. In the introductory post the mood was set; the baron took care of his people, and the locals were glad you were there. It upped the ante for success, happiness and joy would come your way if you got the job done, and you knew you would get rewarded.
4.1. Starting away from the quest giver also precluded trying to raise the payment, haggle over shopping lists, and dealing with money at all. The characters had what they had, which was decent, and they could focus on the task.
4.2. For an adventure where a special item was required, it would have been given to the party. For example, a plus-something weapon or three if such were needed to kill the bad guy.
5. The initial recon was done by an NPC. While recon is critical, it is tedious for the character doing it and boring as heck for the rest of the party.
6. The nature of the first encounter didn't really need a "marching order" setup. That let players get into their groove, and have the marching order for the second part, where it was needed.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by dmw71 »

Leitz wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:10 am I tend to start as close to the action as possible, while still grounding the characters in the scene.
This.

I especially agree with your fourth and fifth points.

In fact, I should thank you for your point 4.1. Reading that made me rethink the plans for how I planned on starting this module.

P.S. Big discovery yesterday, which I don’t have time to detail at the moment, but will soon.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:33 pm P.S. Big discovery yesterday, which I don’t have time to detail at the moment, but will soon.
I've been meaning to return to this since I first wrote it.

Through dogged persistence, I figured out a way I can legally publish my adventure idea in 1e!

There's a 'No OSRIC Equivalent' topic which lists 1e monsters -- primarily from Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II -- that don't have, as the title of the topic suggests, an OSRIC equivalent.

Imagine my surprise when I discover this post from Stuart Marshall:
PapersAndPaychecks wrote:"Bullywug FF Nil --- See "Batrachian", OSRIC p196
Carrion Crawler --- See "Carcass Creeper", OSRIC p266
Catoblepas MM Nil --- Already written up for Dangerous Dungeons (see text file)
"
Sure enough, under the Humanoid section, Batrachian exist almost exactly where Stuart said they'd be:
Batrachian
Batrachian.jpeg
Batrachian.jpeg (145.3 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Batrachian.pdf
(50.84 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Not only that (as if that wasn't awesome enough on its own!), but I also learned that all* the monsters in the Tome of Horrors are able to be used in publications as well!

Here is their legal agreement:
Tome of Horrors - Legal Appendix.pdf
(206.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Sure enough, on page 256:
Froghemoth.jpeg
Froghemoth.jpeg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 70 times

Both OSRIC and Tome of Horrors were released under the same license -- OGL 1.0a -- so, as long as I release this adventure under that same license, and provide the proper attributions, I can proceed as planned. :D

The Tome of Horrors is 688 pages... that is a LOT of monsters to choose from that aren't the typical fare from the first Monster Manual.

So exciting!
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)”