IC 1 - Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

sulldawga
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC 1 - Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

#41 Post by sulldawga »

I am going to treat this like a Party Retreat. I think escape is possible if you move downwind, since you had a Look Out. This requires a group Luck check. I will add DEX modifiers as well.

Baldwin (LUCK 11) Baldwin Luck roll: 1d20 8 Success!
Shysie (LUCK 11, +1 DEX) Shysie Luck roll: 1d20 2 Success!
Miebies (LUCK 11, +3 DEX) Miebies Luck roll: 1d20 18 Failure!
Drasig (LUCK 11) Drasig Luck roll: 1d20 20 Failure!

Baldwin and Shysie roll under their Luck and succeed (both players, please reduce your Luck by 1). Miebies and Drasig fail.

Options are:
  • Miebies and Drasig spend a Reroll point and try again.
  • Baldwin and Shysie run away, Miebies stay to face the wolves.
  • The entire party stays to face the wolves.
I will remind you that you are somewhat lucky in that the wolves have been split into two groups. You have very little chance of beating them all at once but a better chance fighting them piecemeal.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by gurusql »

Miebies will spend a Reroll point and try again
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by sulldawga »

gurusql wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:22 am Miebies will spend a Reroll point and try again
You may want to wait and see if Drasig is going to reroll because he's only got a 55% chance of succeeding (whereas you have a 70% chance). No point wasting a Reroll if Drasig misses his.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:45 pm
gurusql wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 4:22 am Miebies will spend a Reroll point and try again
You may want to wait and see if Drasig is going to reroll because he's only got a 55% chance of succeeding (whereas you have a 70% chance). No point wasting a Reroll if Drasig misses his.
Hmm. Let me think about this a sec. I think it's worth Brasig trying to reroll.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by sulldawga »

Brasig reroll: 1d20 16

Brasig misses his Reroll. He's down to 0 rerolls now.

The rules say the default is at least two Moves to reach Far range (from Very Far range). The rules also say successfully Retreating may lead to a Chase. So here is how I am going to interpret the rules. If you successfully Retreat while the enemy is at Very Far range, you will have escaped. If you successfully Retreat at Far range or closer, there will be a Chase even if you're successful (because you're in Grasslands so visibility is good and wolves are good at Tracking their prey).

Round 1 - Players have attempted to Retreat and have failed. Enemy has seen the Players and is moving toward you.
Round 2 - The Enemy will be at Very Far range for one more round. You can attempt to Retreat again, or engage in ranged combat. A successful Retreat will end the encounter.
Round 3 - The Enemy will be at Far range. You can attempt to Retreat a third time but even a successful Retreat will lead to a Chase. You can engage in ranged combat.
Round 4 - The Enemy will be at Melee range. You can attempt to Retreat a fourth time but even a successful Retreat will lead to a Chase. You can engage in ranged/melee combat.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rex »

Shysie

She has no ranged attack so will prepare to attack on round 4. Unarmed and staff.
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by ybn1197 »

There are approximately 4 behind us and an unknown in front of us. I suggest we attempt another retreat action before we make for an attack action.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by sulldawga »

Round 2 Retreat rolls: Round 2 Retreat roll (Drasig, Miebies): 2#1d20 7 10. Both are successes! Please subtract 1 Luck from each PC.

Half of the party was initially successful in getting out of sight of the wolves, but the other half could not keep up. Still, Miebies and Drasig persevered and you think you've lost them... for now. You can hear two packs of wolves howling in the distance, and you know they're both searching for you.

You're now off the Forester's Road and in uncharted territory. You know the ruined village is somewhere to the NE but that's where the other pack of wolves are, or were.

What is your next move? And are you doing anything to prevent the wolves from finding you (e.g. covering your tracks, leaving food as a distraction, etc)?
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by ybn1197 »

"Wolves track with their noses and ears so clearing our tracks will simply be a waste of valuable time for us. We could distract them food but it would have to be a sizable chunk. A single wolf can eat 20 lbs of meat by itself. I think it best we move on and try to get out of their hunting grounds while we can, otherwise it will be a fight," Baldwin says, drawing on what he remembers of his training in the wilderness.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rex »

Shysie

"Probably our best option Baldwin."

Sheet updated.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by gurusql »

Miebies

Miebies will put down his 10' pole. If the trees are found he will use his Acrobatics to climb as high as possible. If there are no tree that he can climb then he will draw hit short sword and dagger to defend himself.

Miebies has no missile weapons.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by sulldawga »

There is a copse of trees nearby, to the southeast. Somewhat risky to approach, as at least one of the wolf packs is to your southeast. Worth trying?

I don't think there are any trees nearby, as it's all grasslands, but we'll let the Bones decide.

Both of the Twins of Fate say Yes, which means the No from the Hammer of Judgement doesn't matter. However, the Fortune die came up as Misfortune. I decided to see what the Deck of Signs had to say. I won't give away what came up on the cards, other than to point out that the directions I got for the trees came from the Deck, and it's why the trees are back where you came from.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rex »

Shysie

"I think it is time to stand our ground and fight. Those who have missile weapons use them as the wolves approach and the rest of us will be ready to attack if they close."
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by ybn1197 »

Baldwin pauses and listens to the howls of the pack. "I think we're moving out of their hunting territory; they don't sound as close as they were. I think we'll be alright making our move right now." Just going by the GM post in OOC to move the game along.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by sulldawga »

The party decides that the safest move is to continue to the ruined village and so you set out overland in what you think is the right direction. Once again, Shysie's natural sense of pathfinding is flawless and you manage to intersect the Forester's Road again. Soon enough, the gibbet tree comes into view and you enter the ruined village. It's mostly flat but there's a low hill to the back of the village and the stone outline of the manor house atop it is clear.

There is enough daylight left to make a thorough search of the premises and the secret entrance is found. There is some work to be done, as the entrance was in some sort of outhouse next to the manor house and the stones of that structure have fallen into the passageway leading below. At this point, it makes sense to set up camp and wait for morning light to finish the excavation.

Camping in the ruins of the manor house is actually a good idea, as the rubble hides any view of the campfire from the outside. You hear wolves howling all night long but none approach close enough to cause any undue concern.

Shysie Guide check (after wolves): 1d20 5 That is another Great Success. Back on track!
Rolling the Bones on the question of "Is there a nighttime encounter?" yields one Blank and one Yes from the Twins of Fate but one No from the Hammer of Judgement. No encounter.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by sulldawga »

Low Plains | 2 days travel northwest of Port Brax | Ruined village
04 May 904

It takes the equivalent of a Watch to clear the stones, as the party makes a human chain, digging out each rock and handing them up to each other one by one. At the bottom of the stairway is a stout wooden door that has begun to splinter in several places but holds steady, barely, due to the metal bands across its width.

Actions?

Note: see my OOC post for info I need from each of you.

Group rations 5/7 days
ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by ybn1197 »

Baldwin approaches the door, sword in one hand and shield at the ready in the other. He leans back and then firmly plants the bottom of his foot on the door to break it open.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by sulldawga »

Round 1

The door resists Baldwin's foot only briefly, and then gives way with a loud crack. The room smells very musty, as if no one had entered in a very long time. It's also quite cool, perhaps due to the stone construction. A thick layer of dust covers the floor.

Directly in front of you, about 20 feet away, you see a golden statue. The statue is of a humanoid with small curved horns atop its head. There is a large bowl, perhaps 2 feet around, on the floor in front of the statue. It lies in a small pile of rotted wood.

The statue is flanked by a wooden pulpit rising up perhaps 5 feet above the floor. There are two sets of wooden benches between you and the statue/pulpit. Both are broken and rotted.

On the wall to your right is a large bas-relief sculpted into the wall. It is a gold coin with rays flaring out of it, like the sun. Around the bottom and side edges of the sculpture are arms reaching for the sun coin. In the center of the coin is the head of a man with wavy dark hair and small horns like the ones on the statue.

Behind the statue and pulpit is a large mural, once colorful but now faded with the paint chipped and peeling. From left to right, you see men toiling in mines to extract an ore, which is refined into gold, then hammered and beaten into jewelry, then finally worn by regal-looking men in fine robes.

There is a door around the corner from where you entered, and stairs leading to the left.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rex »

Shysie

Shysie will move in and search the room.

Return to “Tales of Argosa (Tales of Argosa)”