IC I

thirdkingdom
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

Re: IC I

#941 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku

I agree with the hairless one we should go back upstairs and see if they will follow. We can use fire to keep if the magic doesn't work.
Dicey
Guide
Guide

#942 Post by Dicey »

Dirk, sword drawn, backs up the stairs.

Who has the lit torch?
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#943 Post by sulldawga »

I'm trying to decide if I should stay and fight, or flee. So, everyone, if you're on the stairs, can you decide whether you're coming to help me or retreating up?
Dicey
Guide
Guide

#944 Post by Dicey »

Strategically better if we can draw them up the stairs, and from the top we can missile attack them one at a time as they come up the stairwell. If they don’t come up, we could regroup up there, get oil and torches and flaming arrows ready, then go back down better prepared.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#945 Post by kalstone »

I agree with Dicey. Tiarsus has 3 flasks of oil stowed in his backpack. He can get them out and distribute them, then we can come back.
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#946 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku can protect the rear as the rest of you get up the stairs and prepare the oil.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#947 Post by sulldawga »

Themon retreats up the stairs.
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#948 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku

Will position himself at the bottom of the stairs until the rest of the party is on the stairs and heading up to "decomtamination" chamber above. Once the rest of the party is on the stairs he will start backing up the stairs prepared to fight if the moss things move aggressively toward the stairs.
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#949 Post by kalstone »

Tiarsus

Tiarsus backs up the stairs, then pulls 3 flasks of oil from his backpack, distributing them to whoever wants one.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#950 Post by thirdkingdom »

The moss creatures move slowly, with a shambling, squelchy gait, stumbling over debris rather than walking around. As the adventurers mount the stairs, the creatures pursue, but seem reluctant -- or perhaps unable -- to ascend. They mill about the bottom of the stairs. The adventurers note that the bright light from above illuminates -- just barely -- the bottom few stairs.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#951 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, We should try to destroy these creatures without using fire. There may be treasure below we'd destroy by burning them.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#952 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

"I agree, the smoke from any fire is likely to draw attention to ourselves. I wonder if it is light in general these things don't like, or the light from the room above specifically."
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#953 Post by sulldawga »

Themon says, Someone hand me a lit torch.

Once he has the torch, he'll cautiously approach the beings at the bottom of the stairs, wave the torch at them, and see what their response is.
Dicey
Guide
Guide

#954 Post by Dicey »

Dirk prepares to throw a rock, having no other missile weapons.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#955 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:29 pm Themon says, Someone hand me a lit torch.

Once he has the torch, he'll cautiously approach the beings at the bottom of the stairs, wave the torch at them, and see what their response is.
The creatures do not have eyes, or indeed any recognizable facial features, so consumed are the corpses by moss, but as Themon waves the torch at them they do not draw back, but instead hiss and swipe clumsily towards him. As his shadow falls at the base of the step they shamble forward, and as he moves back, allowing the magical light to stream down, they tumble out of the way. To his best guess, it appears as if there is some quality of the magical light that is repelling them.
VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#956 Post by VonAlric »

Beykoyun

Looking around at the lighting in the room and the creature's reactions, he proposes the next step to the group. "Let's get everyone back up here, block the light, and encourage those creatures to come up the steps. Once they get far enough up, we pull down the covering that is blocking the light and let it hit them. That sign that was talking about decontamination might be talking about ridding that moss and may actually hurt them and take them out without us having to risk a direct attack."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#957 Post by sulldawga »

Themon agrees. It's worth a try.
Dicey
Guide
Guide

#958 Post by Dicey »

“Aye,” said Dirk.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#959 Post by shaidar »

Atticus nods.

"It's a good plan."
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#960 Post by thirdkingdom »

Fourthday, Sixmonth, Forty-thirdyear of the 16th Cycle
1:20 pm
Thirty-two turns elapsed
The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings
Hex 13.42

The adventurers put their plan into action, retreating to the top of the stairs. There are enough tapestries they are able to rig up a temporary screen in front of the staircase, blocking the ligth from below. It takes awhile, but eventually the party hears the shuffling, stumbling noise of the moss-monsters shambling slowly up the stairs!

Return to “The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE)”