Rules discussion

sulldawga
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Rules discussion

#1 Post by sulldawga »

Use this thread for any questions or comments about the Tales of Argosa ruleset.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Rules discussion

#2 Post by sulldawga »

I'll start with a warning. The ruleset to date doesn't have a ton of info on how to build encounters. A Core Feature of the game is Unbalanced Encounters. There are special rules for retreats and chases.

I'm not a big TPK guy so some of my encounters may end up easier than you might expect but, in general, be creative about combat encounters and don't be afraid to run when things look grim. I want to reward creativity. Also, you get 1 XP for successfully retreating from a losing battle.

And as long as we're on the subject, note the XP awards for Exploration and Social on p. 115. Combat doesn't have to be the focus.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Rules discussion

#3 Post by sulldawga »

I have the v6 rules. A couple of updates:

Adaptable - when using Adaptable, stowing readied gear is part of your action. This enables Fighters to swap back and forth between weapon sets more efficiently.

Divine Word - You command a creature within Close range to carry out an act for up to one round. The command must be three words or less (eg flee, drop your sword, release me) and cannot directly incapacitate or kill the target. A Luck (Will) save negates.

Move - Characters take one move each turn, or two if they spend their action to gain a second. Humanoids move at Normal speed which means they may travel to anywhere in Melee or Close range with one move, or to anywhere in Far range with two moves.

Slow creatures move at half normal, Fast creatures move at double, and Very Fast creatures move at triple normal speed (or greater, GM’s call).

The Range Bands are:
Melee In hand to hand combat (or up to approx 5 ft or so).
Close Current room (or up to approx 30 ft).
Far Into the next room (or up to approx 60 ft).
Very Far Beyond Far (or more than 60 ft). In some instances, the GM might indicate how many moves a PC would need to take to reach a target at Very Far range.

Example: A PC is in a kitchen with a Giant Rat, but not in melee with it (Close). In an adjoining room is an Ogre (Far). In a long corridor beyond the Ogre’s room is a Sorcerer (Very Far). The GM indicates that, from the PC’s current location, it would take four moves to reach the Sorcerer.

Range bands are only approximations; a degree of flexibility and overlap between edges is expected. If the GM is unsure as to whether a target is at one range or another, either determine randomly (even chance, or Consult the Bones), or a PC may make a Luck check to decide the distance (GM’s call). A move incorporates minor necessary conduct such as opening doors, climbing ladders, swinging from a rope, etc. Moving silently, or hiding, is also part of your movement, assuming suitable terrain is available (the GM decides whether hiding is possible). Being stealthy usually requires a Dex (Stealth) vs Perc (Detection) contest.

A move cannot be broken up with an action; an attack, casting a spell, etc ends the move. Flying creatures or mounted foes may make attacks part way through a move, if the movement continues in one direction. Movement speed may be reduced due to poor visibility, when climbing, negotiating difficult or hazardous terrain, etc (GM’s call).Characters take one move each turn, or two if they spend their action to gain a second. Humanoids move at Normal speed which means they may travel to anywhere in Melee or Close range with one move, or to anywhere in Far range with two moves. Slow creatures move at half normal, Fast creatures move at double, and Very Fast creatures move at triple normal speed (or greater, GM’s call).

A move cannot be broken up with an action; an attack, casting a spell, etc ends the move. Flying creatures or mounted foes may make attacks part way through a move, if the movement continues in one direction. Movement speed may be reduced due to poor visibility, when climbing, negotiating difficult or hazardous terrain, etc (GM’s call).

Return to “Tales of Argosa (Tales of Argosa)”