Computer-1
Forgery-1
Gun Combat(handguns)-1
Gun Combat(others)-1
Jack of all Trades-1
Liaison-1
Streetwise-1
Vehicle(wheeled/tracked)-1
Note #1: Under the latest SKILL SIMPLIFICATION, Streetwise-1 and Liaison-1 are the same skill, so combined into Streetwise/Liaison-2
Note #2: "Gun Combat (others)" needs to be specified as "handgun" or "rifle/shotgun" or "SMG" or "Heavy Weapon" (on the off-chance Valencia learned to fire a 60mm Light Mortar or 40mm M203 Grenade Launcher).
Note #3: The character appears to have 3 terms (3 terms x 2 = 6 skills) + Home-world Vehicle skill + Know Someone Skill = 8 skills. There appears to be 1 too many skills.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Character Generation

#42 Post by TheMyth »

atpollard wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:24 pm
TheMyth wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:45 am Valencia Meridian
Brawling-1 (*bonus)
Computer-1
Forgery-1
Gun Combat(handguns)-1
Gun Combat(others)-1
Jack of all Trades-1
Liaison-1
Streetwise-1
Vehicle(wheeled/tracked)-1
Note #1: Under the latest SKILL SIMPLIFICATION, Streetwise-1 and Liaison-1 are the same skill, so combined into Streetwise/Liaison-2
Note #2: "Gun Combat (others)" needs to be specified as "handgun" or "rifle/shotgun" or "SMG" or "Heavy Weapon" (on the off-chance Valencia learned to fire a 60mm Light Mortar or 40mm M203 Grenade Launcher).
Note #3: The character appears to have 3 terms (3 terms x 2 = 6 skills) + Home-world Vehicle skill + Know Someone Skill = 8 skills. There appears to be 1 too many skills.
Yep. Gun Combat(Others) should be 0.

And Streetwise/Liaison will become 2.
Last edited by TheMyth on Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Leitz »

TheMyth, would you object to my character being connected to yours? The PCs are the same age, and while not in the same career, there's a bit of overlap. :) He grew up on Beau, but left in his mid-teens. Grew up in an institution (Soc 6), but a nice guy.

I'm getting some final questions to atpollard, so haven't posted James Daniels yet.
Last edited by Leitz on Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by Eris »

atpollard wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:55 pm
Eris wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:04 pm I have no idea where Joe is from, I never do when I roll up characters. I tend to figure that out during play. However, if you would like Joe to have been from a particular system tell me and it will be so. In my mind, however, he is far, Far, FAR from wherever it was he was born and he has no desire to go back there. Why that is, though, will have have to percolate up from my sub-conscious.
Your wish is granted. ;)

Joe is from a nameless chunk of rock ... literally. "World 2517" is an airless ball of rock half the size of Earth's moon, scorched by its binary stars [D-100758-9]. If one had access to a Military Ship, it is only two jumps away at J3, however, following the J2 route that Merchant Ships are restricted to, you are 12 jumps from home.

Since there is no reason for the population of a large city living in 0.05 G surface Gravity to take a "Vehicle" anywhere, replace the free home-world "Vehicle" skill with VaccSuit-1 [essential for survival on an airless world].
Joe left home and has NO desire to return to his Non-Agricultural, Vacuum place of origin.
Ok dokay! :) Update made. I added your Homeworld description and seeing as you gave Joe Vacc-1, and I rolled 1, he has 2 now. Because Joe knows DJ, I put his Grav Vehicle skill back a 1 where it was before I dropped it earlier. If that's ok with you, of course.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Leitz »

Actually, I'm open to connecting with any character, I just have to figure out how to explain mine. ;)
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by shaidar »

atpollard wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:16 pm The CHARACTERS and the GAME will begin in the City of Brulantfort on the Planet BEAU (Beau System).
A map of BEAU is posted in REFERENCE.
Nice.

I'm assuming that DJ is familiar with Montsoleil as it's adjacent to the spaceport? Where is he most likely to have been born/lived due to his background?

I moved this over from the OOC thread so it didn't clutter it up.
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by TheMyth »

Leitz wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:38 pm TheMyth, would you object to my character being connected to yours? The PCs are the same age, and while not in the same career, there's a bit of overlap. :) He grew up on Beau, but left in his mid-teens. Grew up in an institution (Soc 6), but a nice guy.

I'm getting some final questions to atpollard, so haven't posted James Daniels yet.
I have no problem with us having the connection. I thought I missed your post until I realized you hadn't posted the character yet! :o

We can spitball the details then.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by atpollard »

Gorethirster wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:29 pm Noble, name TBD
78648A

1st term: [NAME] was never the brightest bulb. His tutoring went to waste as he spent his early years carousing with his social circle on Oxford, getting into brawls, and patching each other up before the next day's formal social events. Brawling and Medical -1
My daughter grew up watching Veggie Tales ... which means that I watched Veggie Tales. There was a Scallion that pushes a broom around. In one episode, Larry the Cucumber asks him his name and he replies "I don't have a name. I've been around since show 1 and I still don't have a name!"

Your character makes me think of him.
Can we get this poor guy a name by Friday? ;)
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Leitz »

-- post removed --
Last edited by Leitz on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by TheMyth »

atpollard wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:34 pm
Gorethirster wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:29 pm Noble, name TBD
78648A

1st term: [NAME] was never the brightest bulb. His tutoring went to waste as he spent his early years carousing with his social circle on Oxford, getting into brawls, and patching each other up before the next day's formal social events. Brawling and Medical -1
My daughter grew up watching Veggie Tales ... which means that I watched Veggie Tales. There was a Scallion that pushes a broom around. In one episode, Larry the Cucumber asks him his name and he replies "I don't have a name. I've been around since show 1 and I still don't have a name!"

Your character makes me think of him.
Maybe GoreThirster will take suggestions!

How about "Friday Noble"? Lol
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#51 Post by Gorethirster »

Sorry about that. I'm a big believer that nobility deserve ridiculous, drawn out names (to match their family tree.) I've been letting ideas percolate for the last few days. How does this sound: Etherington Marlborough Von Shpreight-Maximmon du Adelaine et Jolours. He just goes by Etherington though, he's in touch with the common man.

Edit: or maybe Friday is a better nickname! :lol:
TheMyth
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by TheMyth »

Gorethirster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:11 am
Sorry about that. I'm a big believer that nobility deserve ridiculous, drawn out names (to match their family tree.) I've been letting ideas percolate for the last few days. How does this sound: Etherington Marlborough Von Shpreight-Maximmon du Adelaine et Jolours. He just goes by Etherington though, he's in touch with the common man.

Edit: or maybe Friday is a better nickname! :lol:
Or ETHER!
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by atpollard »

STARTING EQUIPMENT
Starting characters may spend up to Soc x 500 credits on any equipment they want from TL 1 to TL 8 [note that you are carrying it with you when you muster out].
Money not spent ... evaporates.

QUALITY
Most STUFF is just "Standard Grade" quality and THAT is the equipment price reflected in the Traveller Rule Books. However, other quality exists and will often communicate something about the STATUS of the owner (or their desired status).
A quick guideline:

FIELD GRADE (Base Price x 1/2): no frills serviceable; simple and functional. Commonly owned by members of the Lower Class (Soc 3-5).
STANDARD GRADE (Base Price): commonly owned by members of the Middle Class (Soc 6-8).
PREMIUM GRADE (Base Price x 3): quality material and finish with expensive accents. Commonly owned by members of the Upper Class (Soc 9-11).
DELUXE GRADE (Base Price x SOC): high grade materials with engraving and exotic finishes. Commonly owned by members of the Social Elite (Soc 12+).
ROYAL GRADE (Base Price x SOC x 2): unique custom item made by the finest craftsmen to the highest standards using the best materials available. Commonly presented as 'gifts of state' [SOC 13 to 15 ONLY]

CLOTHES MAKE THE MAN:
REQUIRED: One complete set of normal 'everyday' clothing.
(Laborer) = Soc 3-5 = Cr 20
(Tradesman) = Soc 6-8 = Cr 40
(Gentleman) = Soc 9-11 = Cr 120
(Aristocrat) = Soc 12-14 = Cr 480

OPTIONAL: One set of Business Casual clothing purchased IN ADDITION to “Normal Clothing”.
(Laborer) = Soc 3-5 = Cr 40
(Tradesman) = Soc 6-8 = Cr 80
(Gentleman) = Soc 9-11 = Cr 240
(Aristocrat) = Soc 12-14 = Cr 960

OPTIONAL: One set of Formal clothing purchased IN ADDITION to “Normal Clothing”.
(Laborer) = Soc 3-5 = Cr 60
(Tradesman) = Soc 6-8 = Cr 120
(Gentleman) = Soc 9-11 = Cr 360
(Aristocrat) = Soc 12-14 = Cr 1440

Real World:
If you want to purchase something from the Real World and want to know its Traveller Price ... 1 Credit = $5 is a rough exchange rate [1 Credit = $1 in 1977ish when Marc copied prices from magazines if you want to get specific]. ;)
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Leitz »

In the interest of "coolness", can we make "Carouse" or "Carousing" the skill that subsumes "Steward"? The latter seems to need a funny hat and a white coat.
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by atpollard »

Leitz wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:02 pm In the interest of "coolness", can we make "Carouse" or "Carousing" the skill that subsumes "Steward"? The latter seems to need a funny hat and a white coat.
I gave it SERIOUS thought when I wrote it. Carouse has a much better sound ... but "I have 8 years experience as a professional 'Carouser' and the skill in 'carousing' to prove it." just rubbed against the fur.

It is the JOB that needs to be rehabilitated in reputation rather than the skill. The STEWARD is an EXPERT professional at dealing with people. There is a little robot that does the cooking and cleaning and waits on tables. The Steward is the Maitre d', the Concierge, the "man in charge" that touches each table to strike up witty conversation and ensure that everything is perfect. That was one reason I loaded it with the other PEOPLE SKILLS that typically are not worth having (Instruction and Recruiting) to make them bonus tasks for the PEOPLE EXPERT.

So "Steward" just fit as a JOB/CAREER better than the other options.
I am open to a better name for the career/position and will move the word "Steward" to the (incl. ...) pile. 8-)
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by shaidar »

Apologies if I'm being dim, but I've found the list of weapons and armour, but where will I find other equipment?
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by shaidar »

OK, found it, p107 of The Traveller Book.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by shaidar »

BEAU has a tainted atmosphere, so I assume we should buy a combination mask?
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by Gorethirster »

Is equipment from Book 4 - Mercenary allowed? or are we doing core books only?
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Ozone Taint

#60 Post by atpollard »

shaidar wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:00 pm BEAU has a tainted atmosphere, so I assume we should buy a combination mask?
BEAU has a Thin, tainted atmosphere (not VERY THIN) so you just need the regular "Filter Mask".

I guess this is as good a time as any to discuss it ... pack sunscreen.
Thin atmosphere is like "high altitude" on earth [think living in Denver or the pressure inside an airplane] ... it mostly impacts things like boiling an egg (lowers the temperature, so they do not cook correctly).
The "taint" is a high level of ozone. The combination of a small world [size 5 = 0.45 G surface gravity = Mars], large bright Star and thin atmosphere [0.5 to 0.7 earth Normal] allow greater penetration and generate ozone [O3] at surface elevations.
Ozone has a pungent odor.
[seconds] Breathing will irritate the nose and throat.
[minutes] Longer exposure will cause headache, upset stomach, vomiting, and pain or tightness in the chest.
[hours] Extended exposure will irritate the lungs causing coughing and shortness of breath.
[days] Prolonged exposures will cause a build-up of fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema), a medical emergency, with severe shortness of breath.
[weeks] Repeated exposure will cause permanent lung damage.

A simple Carbon Filter will remove the ozone.
At TL 11, the filter mask can be made as small as Disposable Nose Plugs (Cr 10 per week) or a Filter Mask (Cr 5 + Cr3/week for cartridges).
[Refurbished filter masks and cartridges are available for half price.]

Return to “BACKWATER (Classic Traveller)”