Expedition to Kraka Grak, Spring 668

scarik
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition to Kraka Grak, Spring 668

#61 Post by Leitz »

If the signet ring belings to one of the hill dwarves,return it.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by tibbius »

"We gain less than a few days of food divided among us," Barnaby muses, "and maybe a week's provender for the beasts." He shakes his head at the valuables. "This trove must remain here - for now," he says. "We need strong backs to bear the wounded back to Springkeep. Here is no place to languish."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Leitz »

Jing Si-woo

"What would Cousin do?" Crossed Si-woo's mind yet again. He continued to poke at the bags of food stuffs, adding it all up in his head with the occasional glance at the nearly starved dwarves. They had both trained at the academy for military age youth, that was a given for noble sons. Cousin, of course, had poured himself into everything. Stellar grades and the voice of confidence meant the ancestors took Jing Ji-ho into their plans. Jing Si-woo, the studious but never quite as bold or charming lesser, followed his cousin and served dutifully.

Just like the border crossing skirmish, Cousin was in front, and then in bed for a month recovering. They had won, of course, but the cost had to be paid. Si-woo knew how to keep things going, that was his strength. Seldom as bold, but always strong.

Si-woo looked at Gurav for a moment, and then set his course. One of the hill dwarves seemed to be their leader, and Si-woo strode to him with purpose. "Our Captain cannot speak to you yet, he is gravely injured. I am his lieutenant, Jing Si-woo, and in all things military, I speak for him."

Taking a deep breath, and standing just a little bit straighter despite the pain, Si-woo continued. "He and I are due one and a half shares of all treasure. Please, take that much from the food stores and nourish yourselves. One of my men has fallen; if you have someone who can bear arms, you are welcome to his weapons and armor to defend yourself."

Striding hurt, Si-woo limped a little as he made his way to Gurav. "Sir, my Cousin gave his word to support your quest, and we will do so as soon as we are able. Please, forgive us for the delay. You bought the supplies for this trip, and many of us cannot move well. Some may wish to go back to Raven's Well, and then perhaps elsewhere. If you will permit it, my cousin and I will commit our share of the coin to purchase from you the food stores that are not needed for three day's travel back, as well as the captured stores that are not our rightful shares. With that, those who need to remain here and heal for a while may do so. Then, if you still desire us to help your quest, we will do so."

Turning to Barnaby, Si-woo smiled but avoided the pain of trying to walk. "I have no control over you, or yours. Raven's Well is not that far, if you wish to go. We can discuss the division of treasure in the morning, while the mist covers the grass, and then you may decide what you wish to do.

With the remaining adventure stores, and the found food, there are 768 person-days worth of food. This does not count foragers. The animals can eat grass, since we are in grass covered plains. If everyone including the hill dwarves stay, we have ~42 days of food for everyone. With foragers, and that our injured aren't going to be eating much for a bit, we have plenty of time.
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by scarik »

Leitz wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:37 pm Striding hurt, Si-woo limped a little as he made his way to Gurav. "Sir, my Cousin gave his word to support your quest, and we will do so as soon as we are able. Please, forgive us for the delay. You bought the supplies for this trip, and many of us cannot move well. Some may wish to go back to Raven's Well, and then perhaps elsewhere. If you will permit it, my cousin and I will commit our share of the coin to purchase from you the food stores that are not needed for three day's travel back, as well as the captured stores that are not our rightful shares. With that, those who need to remain here and heal for a while may do so. Then, if you still desire us to help your quest, we will do so."
Gurav Graka, Thane of a lost hold listens with his usual grimace while Jing Si-woo speaks and then, he laughs. A great, hearty bellow that catches quickly among the other dwarves, even the former captives.

"You have shed the blood of the Ungi, and bled in the reclaiming of a lost Holdfast, Jing Si-woo! Your kinsman made his oath with words and sealed it this night and for all others. Your names will be carved in these very stones as friends of Dawi-Grak, and when we reclaim Kraka Grak I will give each man a ring worthy of his deeds! We will drink and feat it the halls of my anscestors that day and sing songs for the blood we have shed and the friends we have lost."

The dwarves all fall silent then, as if Gurav had said something of great import and with effort the wounded thane rises and makes his way to Gilmer's grave. He had not made any fuss before about it, and perhaps even seemed cold, though several dwarves offered to help dig. Borav takes a small cask from one of the mules and pours its contents into a silver mug then hands it to his lord.

"Here lies proof of the Oath, may the Maker set him a plate of gold at his fire and ever full be his mug!" Gurav takes a small sip from the mug and then pours the rest over the newly turned earth. When he is done he turns once more to Si-woo, "Find me this Manling's kin and I will pay them his Oathweight."
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Leitz »

Jing Si-Woo

Si-woo nodded gratefully as Gurav spoke. "His village, like many, suffered from those who take more than they work. He stood by my cousin against a foe he could not defeat. In my culture, the arms and armor belong to the family. With your Oathweight, I pledge to equip five warriors to better protect their village. That way his kin can live in peace."
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by scarik »

Leitz wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:13 pm If the signet ring belings to one of the hill dwarves,return it.
Oops I forgot to respond to this. It is a Magar Noble House. Rolton will recognize it.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Leitz »

Jing Si-woo

After a short recovery, Si-woo showed the signet ring around, and thanked Rolton for identifying it. "Return it to them, then, so the family knows. Also, something else for you." He hobbled to the largest ogre's body, cut off its head, and brought it back to Rolton. "When you look for a knight to serve, let this be your standard. If they cannot match what you have done today, continue your search. You are more than the labels others place upon you."

Later, Si-woo's tired eyes lit up when the navigator spoke of the roads. "That would be most welcome! Very welcome!"
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby looked embarrassed. "Ah ... yes, Si-woo. Raven's Well. I was thinking of the other water place. Springkeep. It's said they have a healing spring, which could speed us along if we can get there. What do you think of transporting our wounded, a week or so across the grass roads?"
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Leitz »

Jing Si-woo

Si-woo chuckled. "We just fought our number in Ungi, everyone is allowed a slip of the tongue after such a battle."

His smile turned sad, and Si-woo shook his head. "It would kill them. Even with large wagons and clear roads, travel with injuries this severe begs for death. That is why armies make camps, so they have a place to rest and recover after a battle."
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by tibbius »

"You know more of this than I," the bard answers the warrior. "I never have served in an army. Well, what then if one or a few of us went to bring back healing water from the springs?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by scarik »

The Ogre's bodies have to be dealt with. You can take trophies, see if there is a bounty on then and bury the rest. They have to be laid to rest to avoid the risk of them becoming undead*. The dwarven captives will gladly perform the necessary labor to do that.

*Unless you want to see if Corbin is interested.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Leitz »

Jing Si-woo

Si-woo shrugged, then winced as he spoke to Barnaby. "I don't know how the healing waters work. If you think that's a good idea, I certainly won't object. That would also mean the ability to get a wagon, to carry out more of the goods." He paused, for a moment, looked around, and then lowered his voice. "I know shares are important, and I would not deny you what is rightfully yours. The hill dwarves are merchants, and have offered us labor. What would you think about giving them some of their goods back? That would help them get restarted as merchants, and open the door for later trade. My guess is that Kraka Grak will need and provide goods, and knowing about the old roads is an unexpected victory. If we build these watch towers back up, it will also help build trade."

Not sure how to check for a bounty out where they are, would heads suffice? Si-woo will thank the hill dwarves for taking care of the bodies.
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by scarik »

Borav inspects the shield and hammer recovered where the leader cast it aside. The hammer is a simple sledge of dwarf make, likely one of the tools taken from the captives. But the shield is carved with runes and empowered with magic.

"Neither stone nor quarrel harm me, for I drink the blood of giants, he says in archaic Dwarfish. "This was made in Kraka Grak, he concludes, "It bears the approval mark of the High Armorer here.

The arrows recovered he can say little about aside from them not being dwarfcraft.

Heads are perfectly good for claiming a bounty. You probably don't want to hold onto them for a month though.

You have no current use for the longbow arrows. Ji-ho and Si-woo can use the shorter ones.

The shield is meant for a a dwarf and is quite heavy for a human. It is too large for a halfling.
EDIT: If you let Gurav have the shield he will pay you for it in gold.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Leitz »

scarik wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:43 pm Heads are perfectly good for claiming a bounty. You probably don't want to hold onto them for a month though.

You have no current use for the longbow arrows. Ji-ho and Si-woo can use the shorter ones.

The shield is meant for a a dwarf and is quite heavy for a human. It is too large for a halfling.
EDIT: If you let Gurav have the shield he will pay you for it in gold.
Heads it is, then! Don't forget that Ji-ho promised Si-woo a larger bow, since Sw was doing so well. We can use all of the arrows eventually.

Jing Si-woo

When there was a chance for everyone to rest, and chat (maybe in the morning?), Si-woo begged everyone's attention, and pointed at the shield that had been recovered. "We know that our mission is Kraka Grak, to aid our friends in the return of their home. Gurav, this shield is rightful treasure, and yet from your people. From your home. Would you want to redeem the shield? I know most of us need money for various things, and rebuilding this watch tower will not be cheap. If you are interested, name a fair price. For my part, your word is enough, and I would encourage you to use the shield now."

Later, after more rest, Si-woo brought up the issue of the vials. "I have no knowledge of this sort of thing, does anyone else?"
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by scarik »

Gurav Graka

"Aye, Manling," he says to Jing Si-woo, "though it is better I have that talk with your kinsman when he awakens."

there is no real rush here but let's just jump forward to when the injured PC is at least awake and can retake command.

The dawn breaks, wet and foggy as always in this place, but the cistern works and channels a steady supply of much appreciated water down into the cave below where there is plenty for everyone. By midday both Jing Ji-ho and Rolton are awake and while they can't rise beyond a reclined sitting position its better than still being comatose.

Gurav goes to speak with him about the shield and acknowledges that it is covered by their agreement and thus he will honor his word that the humans are free to claim it.

"This artifact could fetch you a princely sum, and I have not that much with me here, but in Borderton I will offer you its weight in silver as well as my blessing as Lord of Kraka Grak to claim this old ruin as a freehold."

Freeholding means the PCs are not required to pay taxes or collect fees on goods. Its a pie in the sky promise since you could just do that anyway, though it binds you closer to the dwarves and adds to your reputation with them. Ji-ho's letter of marque waives taxation on the plunder here but is less clear on if the Margrave would claim dominion of any rebuilt forts. He will respect Gurav's claims though.
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

"I find your offer sufficient, but anyone else is free to object, and purchase it for themselves," Ji-ho said to Gurav. He was listening a lot more than he was talking, since the voice of command took energy and moved his ribs around painfully. "Let's discuss it with the others, since they have a say. Also, there is the question of these roads and watch towers. You know these things much better than I, what if we followed the roads to Kraka Grak? That would let us scout the watch towers, and either bypass them or claim them as we go."

He leaned back, exhausted, but continued to speak. "Of our captured supplies, there is enough for several craftsmen, and various things an adventuring party would be interested in. I'm not sure what the other dwarves would want to do once they are fit to travel, but you might want to talk to them about adventuring with us, and perhaps setting up shop once you have reclaimed your home. Even if they did not go into the mountain, they could establish a strong base camp as we forayed. In return, perhaps, you could grant them priority in trade, or something else that well fits your needs."
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby finds a moment when Ji-Ho is unattended (few those are, given that loyalty is strong for the man). He kneels by his Captain, leaning closer to speak softly. " Among those vials are a few I recognize," he says. "They are precious beyond purchase or sale and should be held to aid us in our need. In that matter, one is a healing draft. It should quickly restore you or at the least speed up your healing. As our Captain, vigor is obligated. Drink." He confidently shows Ji-Ho the vial.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Ji-ho looked at the vial, but did not reach for it. He paused, and then looked at Barnaby. "Thank you, but no. I will heal from this, I have done so before." He chuckled, and then winced. "My cousin reminds me that I sometimes don't leave anything for others to do. Fortunately, this wasn't one of those times."

He took a shallow breath, and looked at his pipe. "We are on a perilous journey, my friend. I want Gurav to succeed, yet we are laid low while still days from the start. I'm certain a more timely need will arise for that potion, one where someone needs to recover faster." He grinned, but avoided the painful chuckle. "Keep in mind that I trust Gurav to uphold his part of the bargain, but he must live to do so. Part of our success is in helping him live to achieve his goal."

He shook his head one more time, and then sighed. "Put it away, keep it safe. You will know when it is needed most, I trust your opinion. Now, think on something else. Your skill at lore is very useful, and I think Hemia will take her vows when we return. Borav is also a priest, but we have no one skilled in the arcane, should our adventures require such. What are the mages like in this part of the world? Would we be wise to seek one out?"
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby smiles. "Maybe I talked to one such," he answers. "The Ravenfolk, Corbin, bore a staff as a mage would. He was friendly and talkative. I also have heard that the Margrave's cousin is a very powerful mage, probably too powerful to bother with our affairs. But Corbin, he might be worth asking after."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude
scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#80 Post by scarik »

The Aftermath

The first three weeks of recovery are uneventful. The fog rolls in heavily before dawn each day and clears fully by noon. With their hilltop vantage they can see for miles in every direction once it does. The weather in the first week is windy and clears the fog by mid morning at the latest. The wind continues through the second week and then turns to soaking rains in week 3.

The rain continues into the fourth week and the massively wounded are now largely able to get up and take care of themselves provided they have frequent rest. Halfway though that week, amidst a particularly furious downpour a band of men appears in the dim light of the afternoon. Men and Dwarves (and Halfling) take up defensive purposes and a half dozen men on horses approach. They are as surprised to see you as you are them but with due caution it seems that they were seeking shelter from the rains.

Bofur recognizes them as nomadic tradesmen who. There are 8 score of them with several dozen horses and many more mules and donkeys as well as sheep and goats for market. Among them are at least a dozen skilled swordsmen, a wizard, his apprentice, and two priests of the Lawgiver, an elder and a younger.

With the danger essentially passed the watchfort can be turned into a safe place to convalesce. Only the first two chambers are accessible as the others are blocked by rubble choked with spider webs. But you have recovered plenty of tools and materials to block off that way further in case danger comes from that direction. The second entrance will have to wait to be cleared as it is a major project.

Naturally I need to know how you deal with these nomads.
Encounters can still happen but at a reduced rate of one in 12.
0 Week 1 [_7d12]=(1+8+4+10+6+11+8)=48
Korev Recovers, Gurav becomes Moderately injured
0 Week 2 [_7d12]=(10+2+5+3+6+2+6)=34
Gurav Recovers
0 Week 3 [_7d12]=(3+1+5+7+4+3+9)=32
1 Week 4 [_7d12]=(8+11+12+5+4+6+5)=51
Massive Wounds become Major for Ji-ho, Rolton, Dramm.
Week 4 Day 3 Encounter [1d100]=52 Subtable G [1d100]=84 Number [15d20]=152 Lair [1d100]=29 Clerics [_3d100]=(68+100+78)=246, Mages [_3d100]=(11+34+75)=120 Initial Reaction Roll [2d6]=7

0 Week 5 [_7d12]=(8+1+3+9+11+4+7)=43
Major Wounds become Moderate for Ji-ho, Rolton, Dramm.
2 Week 6 [_7d12]=(4+10+12+3+4+6+12)=51
Moderate becomes Minor halfway through. All injuries are recovered by week's end.

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”