The Time and The Place

The Bindoner
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: The Time and The Place

#681 Post by Gorethirster »

Remington takes the parcel of dust with a roll of the eyes.

"Getting a bit paranoid in our later years are we? Medusa has a reputation as a merchant to maintain. Where's her plausible deniability if the cats hulk out rather than trip out? They all just so happened to pop combat stimms before a merchandise display? Not even Ridley would buy that. But if you insist I can waste my morning on chemical analysis."

In engineering, the tests start by slicing the wrapping open with the work knife floating around Remington's vacc suit pockets. In the name of thoroughness, and to evade the crew meeting for longer, Remington's tests are thorough. His first step is basic check of the density of the powder he's playing with. No point in running a bunch of sand through the spectrograph. Next he dissolves some of the powder in water and tests the Ph, to make sure that the samples don't turn into acid when exposed to something like a slightly wet piece of finger food. Running out of basic tests he can think of, Remington moves to mass spectrometry, to ensure the chemical composition is more or less correct, barring some filler. Three or four different samples from various parts of the parcel are enough for him to be confident that he's not just sampling a pure outer layer around an inner core of useless stuffing. Relatively confident in his findings, he dips a pinky into the parcel and takes a small taste, to see if it gets him tipsy like it should.

Once he's done with his tests, he heads to the bridge and politely waits for someone to remember they asked him to do something.

Int/edu +1, investigate/chemistry +1
[2d6+2]=10+2=12
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#682 Post by Tiglath »

Thumper wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:13 am Privately, as Tiv and Raven stroll back to the Serpent:
Tiv noticeably rolls his eyes again… And yet, one of us was locked outside while there was still a deal to close. I have no problem doing what is required to further the clan’s interest. The door was closed to you, for you needlessly slammed it by overreacting to gross misreading of the situation.
Raven retorts “And one of us retained their honour! You are a heretic and care not for our ways - that's why I let you surrender and negotiate! Gods, I should have just dragged you out when you fell to their treacherous gas!”
Thumper wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:13 am I only suggest that so as not to diminish your value before your warband and the other officers. I have not given up on this crew yet…despite the poor performance back there. Should you wish to discuss details of what transpired, I have no misgivings…though I will have a weakened Raid Leader on my hand. Still, this job should get done with this crew. Your choice…

There was no test. You and I both know that they decided, and committed, to rid themselves of the Aslan through us long before you strolled in this morning. Yet, you will never admit as such. At best you validated their hopes a little. Don't worry, I will ensure to lift you in the esteem of the others when we meet…unless you want to reveal the truth. Again…your choice…
Raven states levelly “I reported immediately to Skippare Tollerson. He was as baffled as I by Theev's actions but had no complaints about mine. So you can neither weaken my position aboard nor blackmail me but you can certainly further embarrass yourself. No need to offer me your support. I have both a name and a reputation that need no such association. Indeed I have already added to my store of glory on this voyage”.*

“I have no fear of the truth here but I think that you have mislaid so much of our culture while off world that you yourself might not wish to hear it. By a Raider's measure the only poor performance was from yourself - shamefully surrendering your weapons and giving in to a threat instead of standing up to it. I believe that was their test – to find out how far they could push their new "henchmen"! I can't think of why else they did it. Whatever the cause you successfully negotiated your way out and, I assume, repaired matters with Medusa”.

“I really have no idea of Theev's plans for the Aslan. So, no, I won't admit to knowing something I don't know”.

“For now we have an Aslan ship to cut out. I am under the personal orders of Jarl Hallsteinn Ásgeirr and by his own hand I am Raid Leader on his ship The Serpent. So, Tech Commander, if you are coming on the raid and unless you somehow hold a Raider commission or suddenly believe that you outrank the Jarl himself – I look forward to your assistance”.

She adds ruefully “Tiv, I will honour the gods but we do not need to make what we do here... complicated. I have enemies enough and must compete with every other Raid Leader in the Fleet yet the here task is simple. We're just going to steal a ship that we saw only yesterday”.
Gorethirster wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:44 pm Once he's done with his tests, he heads to the bridge and politely waits for someone to remember they asked him to do something.
Noting Remington's arrival with his kilo bag of “gear” Raven scowls “What are you doing with that? Take it to Eno and no “tasting it” - it will aggravate the humours of the spirits that inhabit your head!”

Edit: messed about and fiddled with galore! :roll:
(OOC: If Raven seems “a little brusque” with Tiv it's at least a much better response (and way more politely phrased) than the last guy who attempted to pressure her received... ;)

A note as to tone. While Raven puts forth a "robust rebuttal" her intent is apparently not a confrontation with Tiv. Her tone is therefore "calm and controlled" as she lays out the reasoning for her tactical responses (i.e. doing what any good Raider should have done in the circumstances) and her "counters" to Tiv's threats to undermine her position. Tiv's certainly getting some unusual leeway/home team advantage here as she immediately sought confrontation with Aristotelis when insulted/threatened by him (and she then added an invitation to a duel for good measure).

My understanding of Oghman Ranks/Branches of Service: Tiv might hold a higher rank than Raven but on a Raid he does not outrank the Raid Leader (just as he does not outrank Kar as Captain/Skippare on the Serpent). He is also from an entirely separate chain of command (Tech Branch) so can't "pull rank" here. Raven also claims to be working directly for the Jarl which ups the stakes further...

If Tiv's trying to introduce “self doubt” to someone with the ego to lead a warband he might be "knocking at a locked door". Likewise Raven's just not going to admit any culpability... for anything... ever...

Ref: Raven's report to Kar https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 03#p665203

* On this cruise Raven has “Run the Oars” (and survived) before the entire fleet, The Serpent was first ship to Marduk and successfully filled her hold with expensive and exotic loot. All this was achieved with a “novice” warband (and an “irregular” crew). Arguably Raven's stock is trading pretty high at the moment! Likewise for Kar as Captain).
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#683 Post by Thumper »

Raven states levelly “I reported immediately to Skippare Tollerson. He was as baffled as I by Theev's actions but had no complaints about mine. So you can neither weaken my position aboard nor blackmail me but you can certainly further embarrass yourself. No need to offer me your support. I have both a name and a reputation that need no such association. Indeed I have already added to my store of glory on this voyage”.*

“I have no fear of the truth here but I think that you have mislaid so much of our culture while off world that you yourself might not wish to hear it. By a Raider's measure the only poor performance was from yourself - shamefully surrendering your weapons and giving in to a threat instead of standing up to it. I believe that was their test – to find out how far they could push their new "henchmen"! I can't think of why else they did it. Whatever the cause you successfully negotiated your way out and, I assume, repaired matters with Medusa”.

“I really have no idea of Theev's plans for the Aslan. So, no, I won't admit to knowing something I don't know”.

“For now we have an Aslan ship to cut out. I am under the personal orders of Jarl Hallsteinn Ásgeirr and by his own hand I am Raid Leader on his ship The Serpent. So, Tech Commander, if you are coming on the raid and unless you somehow hold a Raider commission or suddenly believe that you outrank the Jarl himself – I look forward to your assistance”.

She adds ruefully “Tiv, I will honour the gods but we do not need to make what we do here... complicated. I have enemies enough and must compete with every other Raid Leader in the Fleet yet the here task is simple. We're just going to steal a ship that we saw only yesterday”.
Raven, again or still you misread the situation. This was a trade, not a threat; and the transaction was essential to our success. Getting locked out or locking yourself out was counter productive. You may refuse to recognize it, but you nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! But I meant what I said about you being the biggest badass of Oghmites.

At risk of swelling that höfuðkúpa of yours, I'm going to tell you something. When I conceived the idea to take the...item of interest...I was going to do this...starf...with my oldest of friends, Ship Commander Niels of the Holr-Magi Birna, and his extremely renowned Raid Chieftain Bors. It was they who delivered me to Blackrock for this trade mission. I wanted to engage them on this...starf...when the Holr-Magi Birna arrives later this day. That is, until I saw who was running the Serpent. I changed my mind, not because the Serpent was first of the season to Blackrock. I changed my mind because, despite having a misfit crew and what might be perceived as a dysfunctional warband, it was led by you. This...starf...does not fit the typical Oghman psyche. Kar, I read his file while you were enroute, is, uh, a most unconventional thinker...as you can be. I knew I needed THE badass and the non-conventional thinker. I knew it was you and Kar that best fit for this starf.

I seek not to weaken you...quite the opposite. I want you strong, renown, and inspirational before the others. Therefore, I want others thinking you helped back there, rather than knowing the plan was nearly ruined. Beyond this, I want to raid with YOU, Raven, out in the sjó beyond our hunting grounds. I seek the partnerships that can bring the clan greater power and, thus, glory! Together, you, I, and Kar and a crew of misfits can achieve this.

But I give you this warning, Raven: there are apex predators out here besides us. Other apex predators have the technological power to snuff us. They can also reward. They hold a two-edged sword. Continue running above red-line in every transaction, and you will find yourself exhausting the patience of some who have the luxury of disregarding your badassery. These are our potential allies through which we can lift the Aesgeirr to the heights of our Jarl's ambition. I'm just asking you to temper that temper of yours... once in a while. It's not always helpful, not out here. Not against the agents of the Theev Lords, or at least not at this time. They have the greatest technology in this sjó. They hold that two-edged sword. The time may come for us to contend with them, but not yet.

You won't believe me on this matter...but, in time, you will come to know the right of it. I agree, we need not be complicated you and I. Together, as friends and partners...not enemies, you and I can bring Hallsteinn what he needs...and raise the clan as the leaders of the Children of the Dragon.
Last edited by Thumper on Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#684 Post by Thumper »

Gorethirster wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:44 pm "Getting a bit paranoid in our later years are we? Medusa has a reputation as a merchant to maintain. Where's her plausible deniability if the cats hulk out rather than trip out? They all just so happened to pop combat stimms before a merchandise display? Not even Ridley would buy that. But if you insist I can waste my morning on chemical analysis."
Trust but verify, Remington.

And on the bridge:

Ah, Remington…report.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#685 Post by Tiglath »

Ecthelion wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:58 am if diplomacy was what you needed, maybe I should join you next time. The tongue of Gods is a nice sword sometimes.
Raven replies to Sigbjørn "You would be most welcome - but alas of late we deal with faithless heathens!"
Ecthelion wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:58 am [align]Displaying either a long odds lucky guess or a quite surprising familiarity with the data displayed by a console she has otherwise only used as an ale stand or a footrest she asks levelly "What interest have you found in the Astrogation logs?"[/align]

I have spoken to the Serpent, and maybe I will spoke when all of you will be quiet, but I have a question insoluted. How far you wolves have jump in the past? Before you, someone had used the ship?
Raven seems pleased to talk on a favoured subject "The Serpent is old and has travelled far through Rán's realm. Her voyages are depicted in the art and artefacts displayed in her quarters and passageways". She smiles at Sigbjørn "As you begin to suspect it seems that The Serpent has ranged far beyond the capacity of her jump drives - Spinward along the Sindalian Main and Trailing through Torpol, Blue, Clark and beyond!" Raven adds "Not for nothing is she named The Cunning Serpent! Sigbjørn, as you will navigate us through Rán's realm there will be things you must learn for our next raid but first we have a ship to steal!" Then, Raven appears to falter slightly before quickly adding "That will have to happen on a feast night!" hurrying on she continues "Then you will hear the meadhall roar - as Leon will tell you!"
Ecthelion wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:58 amwhat are lords of theev, tyrians and the scarlet sal? Seems like a book's title lol.
Scarlet Sal is a pirate with an interest in lost technology who has a pact with Raven/The Serpent Crew
Your other answers lie on the map (and below):
Map: https://travellermap.com/?p=-94.005!21. ... ions=25591
The Lords of Theev are powerful super high tech crimelords/pirate kings based on the planet of Theev (four hexes "north" of Oghma).
Theev (Planetary Data): https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Theev_(world)
The Tyrians are from Tyr (and enemies of the Aslan). Tyr is about five hexes "north east" of Oghma.
Tyr (Planetary Data): https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Tyr_(world)

NB Both worlds may have in campaign variations from the published "stock" data.
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#686 Post by Gorethirster »

Ah, Remington…report.
Noting Remington's arrival with his kilo bag of “gear” Raven scowls “What are you doing with that? Take it to Eno and no “tasting it” - it will aggravate the humours of the spirits that inhabit your head!”
An attentive soul would note that Remington enters the briefing with just the barest hint of a totter. This, of course, had nothing at all to do with the hit of dust he'd taken for purely scientific reasons. With a nod of his head to Tiv and a nervous glance at Raven he makes his report.

"Both chemical attributes and physiological effects of the powder are consistent with dust spice. I took the liberty of checking the gas and tranq rounds as well. Not that I doubt Regina's skill, but when you're firing up the spectrograph you may as well justify the power bill. The non-lethals seem dialed in for Aslan, but they ought to work on any sentient that catches the pointy end. Do you need anything else at the moment, or should I..." here Remington gestures with the brick of dust, which spills a fine trickle onto the floor of the bridge.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#687 Post by Thumper »

Edited

Tiv had been fiddling with his hand computer when he stops to listen to Remington report. When Remington gesticulates with the brick of dust, Tiv launches himself from his chair, spilling his hand computer onto a bridge console with a clatter. He moves deliberately yet expeditiously to Remington and gently lays his hands on the spice dust.

I’ll take the dust from here…thank you Remington.

He gently removes the brick from Remington’s hand and forwards it on to Leon. With a sideways look at Remington:

Wow… the extra mile to perform a comprehensive analysis of this…and the tranqs.

Turning to the other officers:

Perhaps a little Officer supervision of this is in order. At least until the post-raid celebrations?

He retrieves his computer and says: With that report, I recommend a “Go” decision from this council. He looks to Raven and Kar.

He pauses for answers before continuing-

One more offer Medusa had for us…as a broker. She has a cliente, presumably a Theevian, interested in obtaining a copy of the Pouncer’s ship data. It seems there is quite an interest in this breed of Aslan. We have been offered a bounty on the data and access to a station high-capacity data line with which to facilitate the data copy. I have to do the rerouting of the hardware and coding. We can get access prior to the raid…giving us greater intrusion into the hangar. If you are agreeable to these terms, I can communicate that and obtain the codes and device I need to reroute the line. I needn’t tell you what a significant advantage this can give us.

The only downside I see from this is agreement is Theev will also have a record of where the ship has been and its logs. Perhaps this gives us future competition with a pirate band for raid targets, I just don’t know what the ship records contain…and neither do they. I see this as a low-risk proposition.

Do I have your agreement?

Edited
hardrocks
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#688 Post by hardrocks »

Kar listens with interest to the reports of the crew and officers.

I would agree that the selling of the captured ships data is a low risk proposal. We have also promised this data to Ummiimir, but not exclusively. So reward with little risk. But now on to the big risk, ah, but the rewards and glory can be greater. Will be greater. We now have the means at our disposal to make this plan suceed. I say we go.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#689 Post by Tiglath »

Thumper wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:46 am
At risk of swelling that höfuðkúpa of yours, I'm going to tell you something...
Raven replies to Tiv with a laugh “You could just accept that the gods granted us a victory!”. She continues “It may well have been a trade but I don't misread threats. Even if, as you say, their intent truly was trade then they wanted the deal and things turned out for the best because we surprised them, stood up to them and still got the deal. Then you mended the fences with Medusa and we were still ahead. By doing something neither they nor you foresaw we got a better result. That is why you want me!”

She shrugs “If I meet Medusa again and both of us live long enough then we will discuss it. Arsgat and I will likely not share ale in friendship but next time we meet he might at least be civil and I will match his civility. That must please you”.

She adds with a cold smile “I will, of course, turn him into a crow's feast if he gives me cause - but right up to that point I will be civil”.

As Tiv ponders whether she's joking she seems to come to the conclusion of some internal thought process and offers her hand in the warriors' grip “Come then, Technomancer, let's go raiding”.
Last edited by Tiglath on Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#690 Post by Tiglath »

Thumper wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:07 am He retrieves his computer and says: With that report, I recommend a “Go” decision from this council. He looks to Raven and Kar.
Raven nods and simply says "Pending any contrary omens detected by my Shaman and the approval of Priest Sigbjørn we go".
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#691 Post by Thumper »

As Tiv ponders whether she's joking she seems to come to the conclusion of some internal a thought process and offers her hand in the warriors' grip “Come then, Technomancer, let's go raiding”.
Tiv accepts her offered hand/arm/wrist-grip…with laughing grin on his face that touches his eyes.

He walks the rest of the way in silence contemplating the next steps to prepare the raid.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#692 Post by Thumper »

Raven nods and simply says "Pending any contrary omens detected by my Shaman and the approval of Priest Sigbjørn we go".
Any agreement or dissension from the remaining officers?
Last edited by Thumper on Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ecthelion
Tracker
Tracker

#693 Post by Ecthelion »

Raven seems pleased to talk on a favoured subject "The Serpent is old and has travelled far through Rán's realm. Her voyages are depicted in the art and artefacts displayed in her quarters and passageways". She smiles at Sigbjørn "As you begin to suspect it seems that The Serpent has ranged far beyond the capacity of her jump drives - Spinward along the Sindalian Main and Trailing through Torpol, Blue, Clark and beyond!" Raven adds "Not for nothing is she named The Cunning Serpent! Sigbjørn, as you will navigate us through Rán's realm there will be things you must learn for our next raid but first we have a ship to steal!" Then, Raven appears to falter slightly before quickly adding "That will have to happen on a feast night!" hurrying on she continues "Then you will hear the meadhall roar - as Leon will tell you!"
What ship do you want to steal, and why?
Pending any contrary omens detected by my Shaman and the approval of Priest Sigbjørn we go".
If I need to pilot a ship, the gods would be pleased to know its history. Tell me everything about it.
The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, yet you still dare to oppose our will.
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#694 Post by Tiglath »

Ecthelion wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:06 pm What ship do you want to steal, and why?
Raven replies "I am going to steal the Aslan ship Pouncer which is in port here on Blackrock. I am going to steal it because I saw it and I am a Raider. As to why - two reasons firstly because Jarl Hallstein bade me find allies among the stars and the enemy of my enemy seemed a good place to start with the Tyrians. Also because I am ambitious and on my first voyage as Raid Leader I will not only fill The Serpent's hold but also bring home a prize ship to honour the gods, bring glory to my Jarl and enhance my reputation".
Ecthelion wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:06 pm If I need to pilot a ship, the gods would be pleased to know its history. Tell me everything about it.
Raven smiles "If you let her The Serpent will tell you herself through her art. I will show you the few secrets I have discovered one evening after the crew meal but we have no time now".
Last edited by Tiglath on Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#695 Post by Gorethirster »

Any agreement or dissension from Leon, Sigbjorn, or Arnwulf
"I assume my agreement isn't required because we're all aware I think every plan aboard this ship is an elaborate suicide pact?"
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#696 Post by Tiglath »

Gorethirster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:05 pm "I assume my agreement isn't required because we're all aware I think every plan aboard this ship is an elaborate suicide pact?"
Raven ignores Remington's exclamation (which would on most Oghman vessels not be tolerated) and instead comments to Sigbjørn “Remington is our Engineseer and my personal Shaman. His head is filled with restless spirits which he harvests from from Rán's realm. These draugr cause his outbursts and yet give him valuable insight into the ways of the gods and the spirit world. Indeed only he can contain the Dragon's Breath - which is why I store it under his bunk. His mind likewise contained and confounded the evil spirit Lewisite which tried to creep aboard in jars. Already on this voyage he has revealed many beneficial signs and portents and beyond that has performed a number of minor miracles and thereby encouraged the faithful of my warband. Indeed it was his sorcery that beguiled the kraken and allowed me to steal away the priestess from their very own temple. You might like to exchange... theology with her. She is... about somewhere... but I put her in Remington's charge in the hope that she would calm the turbulence of his spirits and also to distract her from m... ah... nevermind” She refocusses with “I shall have my Shaman pronounce an augury on the positivity of the current omens of our raid”.

Raven now addresses Remington directly “Remington Many Names use your cognizance of the spirit world to search for negative omens of our forthcoming raid on the Aslan”.

She meets the gaze of her possessed Shaman with the same utterly uncompromising look that Tiv saw her give to Medusa's front man. While awaiting her Shaman's pronouncement she folds her arms which puts her right hand awfully adjacent to the automatic with the extended mag holstered in her ex-Imperial shoulder rig.

OOC: Oh, Remington is definitely on the list of pre raid “Consultants”. :P :SAN:
Tiglath wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:18 pm Raven nods and simply says "Pending any contrary omens detected by my Shaman and the approval of Priest Sigbjørn we go".

Obviously from Raven's body language this appears to be one of those "no pressure" / "just you ruddy dare" scryings... :P

But hey - floor's yours! :lol:
Ecthelion
Tracker
Tracker

#697 Post by Ecthelion »

Sigbjørn
All of this seems like a suicide to me, but I cannot judge, I have joined last. But, if you need a hand... I show my robotic arm and slowly take my laser pistol I could make some light. About this Manynames, I'll call him Insubordinate R.,but he is right. We need an accurate plan before move, and stealth would not be an option. I ask you to bring out detailed maps of the ship and of this rock; the number of enemies, alarm systems etc. I cannot ask the permission of the Gods without a really detailed plan. Before you get too heated like a salamander, yes, you are the Raid Leader, but we need to stay icy like a bear.
The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, yet you still dare to oppose our will.
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#698 Post by Thumper »

Tiv fires off a message to Aristotelis accepting the terms. He also messages Ummimiir to see if he has another set of robot access codes, yet.

We strike now with what we know, or we abort. Perhaps I get more details by our meeting time. You, Prest, are a lone voice of restraint. Therefore, you and Leon are in a position to join us or get out of our way.

Looking between Raven and Arnwulf: Someone has to stay to secure the Serpent and her berth and to watch over the slaves who don’t go. I recommend someone who can limp the Serpent home if, as some say, we are on a suicide mission.

Raven, who are we taking as the “Demonstration Party” and who are we taking as reinforcements. Remember, the first wave will need to look like a slave show. The reinforcements must come after and not be too conspicuous as to draw unwanted attention to their hangar entrance.
Ecthelion
Tracker
Tracker

#699 Post by Ecthelion »

Thumper wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:53 am Tiv fires off a message to Aristotelis accepting the terms. He also messages Ummimiir to see if he has another set of robot access codes, yet.

We strike now with what we know, or we abort. Perhaps I get more details by our meeting time. You, Prest, are a lone voice of restraint. Therefore, you and Leon are in a position to join us or get out of our way.

Looking between Raven and Arnwulf: Someone has to stay to secure the Serpent and her berth and to watch over the slaves who don’t go. I recommend someone who can limp the Serpent home if, as some say, we are on a suicide mission.

Raven, who are we taking as the “Demonstration Party” and who are we taking as reinforcements. Remember, the first wave will need to look like a slave show. The reinforcements must come after and not be too conspicuous as to draw unwanted attention to their hangar entrance.
Leon is a gunner, right? Me and him could cover your retreat from the Serpent, or simply destroy this rock if the condition is necessary. Would be fun to slay some infantry. How far is this ship from here? I could give you a ride with my little ship.
Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#700 Post by Gorethirster »

Raven now addresses Remington directly “Remington Many Names use your cognizance of the spirit world to search for negative omens of our forthcoming raid on the Aslan”.

She meets the gaze of her possessed Shaman with the same utterly uncompromising look that Tiv saw her give to Medusa's front man. While awaiting her Shaman's pronouncement she folds her arms which puts her right hand awfully adjacent to the automatic with the extended mag holstered in her ex-Imperial shoulder rig.
Having been around Raven for several weeks now and produced at least one other "omen," Remington is well aware of expectations. He lets his gaze drift to Raven's gun hand and quirks an eyebrow as he makes contact. He then busies himself searching the pockets of his vac-suit for the "tools" of his "trade:" fiber junctions with shattered lines attached, capacitors burst open like popcorn, heat distorted glass spacers, fused wads of copper wire, some crumbs from the sweet bread he ate for breakfast, and other assorted unusual looking bric-a-brac. He cups his hands and rattles everything loudly as he declaims:

"Iä! Iä! Lords beyond, within the jump, who see all times as the present! Deliver unto your servant the wisdom he so craves! Grant him prophecy! Iä ithyenult kch-takht! Iä kheldak-zemmerit! Iä! Iä!"

With the final shout he casts his baubles over the deck and pores over them, bent at the waist and muttering cryptically.

"Hmm... The ascendant node; superimposed on the broken union, inverted. And yes, here, he who flies from bonds lies supine below the obscuring veil, which has shattered. The pleasant, the desired, here within the grasp of the agglomerate unforeseen. Yes, yes. Hmm..."

He trails off and looks directly at Raven.

"The Lords speak, to those who know how to listen. They watch with eager eyes beyond the veil. The broken union symbolizes disharmony, strife, within a group. Inverted, it signifies the opposite: coming together. The ascending node superimposed prophecies success to the purpose of that union. He who flies from bonds produces consequences as he flees, and here he is supine, satisfied, unquarrelsome. Auspicious alone, but beneath the shattered barrier which would cage him, yet more so. The Lords declare that we need not fear complication or consequence. Lastly, the sweet and desired, grasped by the agglomerate unforeseen? I think the significance should be obvious, yes? The omens are good. The Lords smile beyond the veil, though their teeth remain sharp and gleaming. All the omens revealed to their momentary prophet are auspicious, calling for boldness and ambition. The time is now! Act!"

Return to “Out of Oghma (MgT1)”