[005] A Month of the Daimyo's Grace

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[005] A Month of the Daimyo's Grace

#1 Post by Marullus »

You have four weeks of training in Takayama - this is the primary mechanism for advancement, so we'll do this before your next adventure hook arrives as [006]. Please roleplay and describe training montages that help deepen your character. I'll help walk you through the Learning rules for the skill advancements in spoiler texts as I do on other posts.
jemmus wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:21 pm Are their teachers for either available locally? I don't know that the chars have the coin to pay, though. We didn't manage any loot from this adventure. But we could go back and try to loot the submerged armaments wagon. I mistakenly thought that suiei still was needed to swim at all. But all characters can swim, based on averaging three Attribute saving throws. Or there's always the option of affordable training with no teacher.
Rather than having the Daimyo pay you out in a crass coin award, you are honored by a stay in the outer courts of his castle. You have access to the main training school (which is difficult to be admitted to without his sanction, and which I am waiving the application roll for) and to the main temples (also waiving the roll). I am telling you OOC that you have four weeks to train before I kick the next plothook, which is a summons back to the Daimyo since he kept you close, rather than "I ran out of coin for hotels and need to adventure now." :)
jemmus wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:21 pm Mainly for RP purposes, Zenrin will spend his month training in Meditation. (He's already pretty powerful as a bushi, but he's a pretty poor Pious Layman Buddhist monk.
Saizo will spend his month training in Silent Kill. His BCS in that is currently a pretty sad 4.
For Zenrin, Pious Layman is based on Theology (Butsu-do), not on Meditation. He doesn't currently know any Theology, so he's worse than you thought. :)

Code: Select all

"In each case, an average BCS is calculated based on the Will ST
and the BCS in Theology for the character's religion. If there is no
score in the Theology Skill, the average BCS may still be calculated.
The Effect Number of the BCS roll determines the amount of bonus
received from the Gods, or the "Magic BCS" for the characters to use
the power, as appropriate. Failed rolls have no effect."
Meditation is useful for other purposes, but is trained separately. See below:

Code: Select all

It serves all characters as a defense against
certain Spells and other forms of mental domination, augmenting or
replacing the Saving Throws that would normally defend against the
effect. The Art can enhance the recovery of Subdual damage,
doubling the rate at which such damage is recovered.
Zenrin needs to convince a Gakusho to spend day(s) in ritual to Purify Sin for his Major Sin of Murder by Treachery. I think pursuing a personal tutor and learning theology and/or meditiation for at least one of the weeks is sufficient to convince them of your sincerity and have them do so; I won't belabor it mechanically and you can just roleplay it out in your montage.

I'll lay out the schools and opportunities (including for Saizo) below.
Last edited by Marullus on Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [005] A Month of the Daimyo's Grace

#2 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:13 pm The city of Takayama is the capital of Hido province and the principal seat of power for the Washima clan. The Daimyo rules from his castle here, brisk trade flowing in and out of the city as the powerful clans all come here to sit in their councils. With almost 12,000 residents, its crowded streets teem with activity and it is easy to move about with anonymity for those who choose it. The tea house is located on the opposite side of the city from the Sho-gawa river and its multitude of fisheries, from which the city derives most of its income. Besides the citadel, you see the red, upturned roofs of Kogyoku-o-tara, The Jade Temple, and Majime-na-hoshii-o-tara, The Temple of Earnest Desires for Enlightenment, rising serenely above the din of the streets on high ground, across the city from each other. Each temple is large enough to qualify as a village itself, but is dwarfed by city around them.
(Class D city, Level 4 Citadel)

Hida Province:
It is a comfortable life, being honored guests of the Daimyo with rooms in the Citadel. Now washed and with good, clean clothes, the ministers around you are much more comfortable and acclimated to your presence. You have fine meals as befits honored guests and are granted a room to dine together and discuss your private matters each evening.

The month of Satsuki, when the rice seedlings are planted, is before you and full of opportunity. The chill of weather has passed - the nights no longer dip close to freezing (48f)and are comfortable enough to walk without a coat and the days rise to a pleasant temperature for outdoor work (68f) with mid-day showers each day to water the rice a fill the fields and in four or five months lead to harvest. You know by the end of the month it will average higher (79f) - a fine Nippon summer. The river teems with fry, the fisheries busy each day with their catch, feeding the population and keeping the lingering smell of drying fish everpresent as they prepare portions to ship to the rest of the province as well.

Attached to the outer courts of the citadel is the Senso-Ryu, the War School, which is subsidized and patroned by the Daimyo. It is exclusive and difficult to gain entry and those not in-service often have to step aside to make room should more prominent samurai require teaching. The Daimyo's grace allows you all assured access as a rare privlege. Several at the school are renowned masters (i.e. Level 6) and highly sought. Sensei Washima Masakage runs the school and focuses instruction on the most promising swordsmen, teaching the okuden of the Piercing Thrust and Reverse Cut. He is served by two other renowned masters, Yasui Arimoto and Kozuki Yoshinori, who teach kenjutsu and iaijutsu. All other bushi skills are offered as well, with assistance from their senior staff Matsumine Shokken and Kano Tadonori. There is also a Budoka, Getory, who teaches knowledge of Atemi-waza, Shinobi, and Shurikenjutsu.
While normally admission is hard, that roll is waived. You may all participate in classes here and can tell me the skills you wish to train. If you wish to make a roll to be accepted by one of them as a mentor for private lessons the benefits are higher but you have to succeed (or be rejected by them) and you're then marked as their specific pupil in future social interactions.
Zenrin feels the weight of sin upon his soul and the need for reflective contemplation and absolution. Kogyoku-o-tera, the Jade Temple beckons, known throughout Hida for their piety and as a place of meditation and contemplation. The monks there are withdrawn and ascetic, which appeals to Zenrin's needs, even if it makes it more difficult to convince them to take on a pupil. He receives a letter of introduction to the Abbot, Tansui Jichu, who would need to oversee any instruction in the ways of the Buddha himself (Butsu-do), but his senior staff - Kenzan, Ansai, and Shisei - all also mentor supplicants in meditation and could absolve his sins.
You can participate with any of them as a student in class, or you can roll to see if they are willing to take you on as a private tutor.
Since this is a matter of absolving sin, the private tutor is allowed and more effective. Same as the War School, I'm allowing admission to class without a roll. If you try for a mentor then you are specifically a student of that master, which may come into roleplay later on as well.
Keiso seeks the Majime-no-hoshii-o-tera, the Temple of Earnest Desires for Enlightenment, on the other side of the city. This temple is the largest in the city and more politically active, not lost in personal contemplation. That means, however, that they offer instruction to Buddhist gakusho in all of the Yoga, bojutsu, jujutsu, and divination rather than just in contemplation of silence. A letter to the Abbot, Tomiku Mitsuhira, secures him entry.
Like Zenrin, you can freely join classes as a student. If you wish to appeal to the abbot or one of his four senior staff for private tutoring, you become a student of them specifically (or are rejected personally) as it requires a roll.
Saizo knows that the Stalking Shadows clan operates in Hida province, but they have an unusually low profile even for ninja. Since Washima Fuhito ended the war ten years ago and forged a peace among the families, business has slackened off. Their clan is not enemies with his own, at least, and he may be able to barter with his present position as a ronin emplaced in the Citadel. To seek their base and request training, he would need to go into the Hide-Sanmyaku mountains outside the border of the province. His keen eye, however, has seen some likely prospects here in the city if he is willing to risk approaching them and appealing to them for mentorship.
Saizo can train in the martial schools in his disguise as a ronin. If he goes to the Stalking Shadows village, his present access to the citadel assures that he will be accepted for training among them and I can provide the teachers/skills according to what he wants to do. Otherwise, he can roll to see if he can find a mentor in the city with normal chances of failure - you can specify in roleplay if you are specifically trying to find a mentor in your clan, an allied clan, or accepting a mentor of the Stalking Shadows (neutral).
Please read 1052.0 Study and Training. Each 'study turn' is a week, so you can train four weeks for four turns. You get normal advancement as noted by the Learning Bonuses and Learning Hinderances for attending classes at the schools above. If you roll to be accepted by a Teacher, that allows the Private Instruction bonus but if you attempt the roll and fail that teacher will not have you in class at all and you'll need to make do with other instructors (or if no other instructor teaches it, a different skill). If attempting it, roll 1d100 and I'll adjudicate. Learning in class requires rolepaly and stating intent, but no rolls because you already are granted access.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

I need input from each of you regarding each of your characters on two important factors:
  • What skill you're going to train each of the four weeks
  • If you're going to approach one of the named NPCs to be a mentor (and risk alienating them) or just generally attending the school (no risk)

To clarify:
  • Normally, the ability to get Private Instruction is a matter of coin. You need to pay the teacher enough to compensate for them not teaching any students but you (up to 18 silver extra per week) in addition to the normal costs of instruction, the school, etc.
  • Because I am not paying you in coin, or charging you coin, I'm inventing this alternative method.
    • You have access to the school for free (the reward for your service to the Daimyo) and can train without risk for the fixed four-week period I am OOC giving you. This raises your trained skill by a fixed amount based on your PCs learning rate, the skill of the teacher, and your attendance at a formal school. Any of the teachers will let you join a group class and do this with no roll.
    • I am giving a risk/reward trade-off to you as an interesting choice. By picking a specific NPC and asking them to mentor you as a personal student, it spurs roleplay and I'll work it into future sessions. I'm not charging you the coin, but making it an RP thing. The risk is that you fail the roll and then you don't get to ask that teacher to be in their regular class either (so choosing your mentor roll carefully is important). The benefit is that you get the Private Instruction benefit on top of your normal fixed learning amount - this raises the skill dramatically (by a portion of the difference between your skill and theirs... a huge bonus if it is a new skill to you).
    • I want a [1d100] roll if you're asking to be a private student. I'm not final on how I'm adjudicating that, but I plan to give you a better than 50% chance. Probably 40+your relevant personal/group status.
  • If you want to pursue a teacher outside of the schools and temples with named NPCs outlined above, you can roll [1d100][1d100], post the result, and tell me the skill you're seeking. I'll then make a new named NPC in the city who takes you on with the Private Instruction benefit. Their availability and knowledge is determined by the roll as outlined in the book. There is still no cost for this in coin. (If you are seeking a ninja skill outside the Stalking Shadows clan or if you botch your roll for private instruction at a school and lose access to the main skilled teachers there, this is the option for you.)
  • Note that Okuden are trained as separate skills from the main skill. Possessing training/skill in it grants a benefit. The level of your skill in the Okuden affects your ability to then teach it to others (and if you raise it to 99 gives you more Ki).
    • Sensei Washima Masakage at the War School teaches two techniques specifically either in his general class or via Private Instruction.
    • Piercing Thrust lets you do full damage with the Thrust manuever (useable with a sword) which eliminates the penalty for doing the Thrust instead of just an Attack. If you have this, you can attack and then get the chance of a Thrust special effect regularly.
    • Reverse Cut removes the penalty for attacking someone in your side or rear facing. (See the discussions about ninjas gaining advantage! :) The trained bushi here still is easier for a foe to hit, but has no disadvantage in their ability to attack back.)
    • You can seek training in any other Okuden in the book that you want using the rules for finding a private teacher outside of the schools.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ffilz »

Assuming I play Motoyuki as offered, does he get this training also?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

of course!

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:48 pm of course!
OK, I will try and work on my training this evening.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by jemmus »

Zenrin, warrior-monk for a Buddhist temple in somewhat distant Shinano Province, considers what has happened. A man's lust for wealth and power has led to several early deaths of the bodies souls were reborn into in this fleeting world. His younger brother Tozisho's, a 16-year-old bushi on his first venture from home who naively accepted a job from the man. Those of yakuza guards, shot down with arrows while fleeing. The man himself's own execution by beheading. And still more lives to be cut short when the daimyo's men destroy the conspirator bushi's camp.

But there is yet another life cut short by violence. That of the unsuspecting and startled yakuza guard whose body was cloven nearly in two by Zenrin's own heavy naginata. It was a strike executed with unexpected perfection. The thoughtful sohei remembers well his reaction at the time-- it was a bushi warrior's deep satisfaction, self-congratulation, and wonder at his unified mind's and body's execution and achievement. And a flash of angry satisfaction at punishing an agent in some way-- in any way-- connected to little Toshizo's violent death. Perhaps terminating the armed yakuza's life was necessary-- but perhaps not? Perhaps eliminating the merchant prevented further crimes and suffering-- and perhaps not? That's to pray and think on at some later time. His mind lists his foolish and painful failures: killing of the unsuspecting; anger and vengeful spirit; animal warrior battle bloodlust. Warrior pride. Perhaps the most difficult of all to overcome for a sohei warrior-monk with his responsibilities. There were no Buddhist teachings or teacher about that, that he knew. Perhaps if he learned to reconcile the two, he could explain to others when he became an old retired man. Or write a scroll, in case he never became an old man.

He squared himself, bowed, and asked the daimyo's advisors. Excuse me. I would humbly ask to take advantage of the daimyo's offer of lodging, meals, and training for one month. I am a sohei of the Zen sect of Buddhism. My I ask for the name of a Zen temple in this city, or near it?

Zenrin will go the temple, join the daily prayer and chanting of sutra ritual, and present himself to the gakusho priest. He'll say only that he is a sohei who is in mourning for a slain sibling, whose body has been recovered. And who has been in combat and has killed, for which atonement is needed. He glances to the naginata he left lying flat and harmless at the entranceway. That is my chain of prayer beads, and my reminder of karmain this life. I will bear it until it says it is a peace, and can be burned or buried. If accepted as either a classroom or private student, he'll study Theology for the month. If he needs to pay for a private teacher, he'll offer to pay with his dai-sho.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

So, from the above, Zenrin is going to Kogyoku-o-tera, the Jade Temple and petitioning Abbot Jansui Jichu to take him as a personal student?

Roll 1d100.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

So what teachers are available at the Kogyoku-o-tera, the Jade Temple? What would make the most sense for Keiso is to improve Karma Yoga.

Motoyuki would like to improve Kenjutsu.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:34 am So what teachers are available at the Kogyoku-o-tera, the Jade Temple? What would make the most sense for Keiso is to improve Karma Yoga.
The Jade Temple is an ascetic temple of contemplation that focuses only on teaching Theology and Meditation (thus good for Zenrin). They do also offer Chinese Classics, Physician, and Painting.
Marullus wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:13 pm Keiso seeks the Majime-no-hoshii-o-tera, the Temple of Earnest Desires for Enlightenment, on the other side of the city. This temple is the largest in the city and more politically active, not lost in personal contemplation. That means, however, that they offer instruction to Buddhist gakusho in all of the Yoga, bojutsu, jujutsu, and divination rather than just in contemplation of silence. A letter to the Abbot, Tomiku Mitsuhira, secures him entry.
Like Zenrin, you can freely join classes as a student. If you wish to appeal to the abbot or one of his four senior staff for private tutoring, you become a student of them specifically (or are rejected personally) as it requires a roll.
The Abbot Tomiku Mitsuhira is the most worthy for a private mentoring relationship but he only teaches Raja-Yoga.

His four senior staff can mentor you in any Yoga, and you could approach them for mentoring in it, but they aren't higher level than you. They are Shinno, Nobuhiro, Kemmotsu, and Sanzo. They do have more to teach you at Karma-Yoga, but private mentoring would really have the biggest benefit if you were opening new Yoga.
  • Shinno teaches Butso-do, Chinese Classics, Literacy skills, and all Yoga
  • Nobuhiro teaches Butso-do, Jujutsu, Literacy skills, and all Yoga
  • Kemmotsu teaches Butso-do, Divination, Sacred Dance, Literacy skills, and all Yoga
  • Sanzo is a former warrior, focusing on a new peaceful path, he only teaches Bokutsu
ffilz wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:34 am Motoyuki would like to improve Kenjutsu.
So, he goes to the War School - does he appeal to one of the particular instructors for personal tutoring? (They're already fleshed out above.)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

OK, looking over things, Motoyuki will first seek private instruction in Reverse Cut from Sensei Washima Masakage.

Great Sensei, you are a master swordsman and I seek to be half as great as you. I seek training in the art of striking those behind or to the side.

Well, that's either really good or really bad...

If he fails that, he'll go for the slow route on Kenjutsu, looks like (LR 2 + 4 bonus)/2 (one hindrance) for 3? That's +12 for 4 weeks, not shabby.

Keiso will seek private instruction in Raja Yoga.

Tomiku Mitsuhira, I seek to learn the ways of Raja Yoga to deepen my contemplation of the universe.

Failing that, hmm, seeking private instruction in Meditation at the Jade Temple might be worthwhile. Otherwise, just normal instruction in Karma Yoga.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by jemmus »

Marullus wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:15 am So, from the above, Zenrin is going to Kogyoku-o-tera, the Jade Temple and petitioning Abbot Jansui Jichu to take him as a personal student?

Roll 1d100.
Yes, he's petitioning Abbot Jansui Jichu.
[1d100]=78 Hmm....
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by jemmus »

Saizo is surprised at the unexpected and valuable boon of a month's training, with free food and lodging as well. It is a shame that the training can't be in one of the ninja arts, such as ninjutsu or silent kill. But in this city in the guise of a wild ronin bushi, he knows better than to broach such a topic with the daimyo's staff. He learns that there is a budoka teacher of shinobi-jutsu at the daimyo's School of War. But that is an art inferior to the ninjutsu skill he has. A budoka may move silently with shinobi-jutsu. But still visibly detectable, unlike when using a ninja's ninjutsu.

He's tempted by the rare chance to train in kenjutsu with the School of War's masters of that bugei. He's always loved the art of the sword, and it's one of his best skills. But skill in kenjutsu is the pride-- and sometimes the obsession-- of the professional bushi. He cannot in good wisdom and common sense afford to try to compete with them in mastery of the bugei. With wistful regrets, he decides train under a lesser teacher in what is a more practical art for himself, who is not a fighting warrior, but disruptor of warriors. The art of entangling and disabling weapons, limbs, and minds-- kusari-jutsu. A month of peace, food and good lodging, and training and learning under a skilled teacher. Saizo is more than grateful the daimyo and the kami, and vows to show his gratitude by pushing himself the utmost. Such an opportunity may never come again to a ninja of the lowest social rank, lower than even other outcaste ninja.

So, Saizo wants to train in kusari-jutsu and not petition a master. I believe from GM's initial post that training in that bugei under a regular teacher is available.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

jemmus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:53 am So, Saizo wants to train in kusari-jutsu and not petition a master. I believe from GM's initial post that training in that bugei under a regular teacher is available.
The War School teaches all Bushi bonus skills, but the Kusari-jutsu is not such a skill. The Bodoka on the staff does not offer training in it either.
Saizo Teacher [1d100]=89 [1d100]=69
...and alas, no other teacher in the city is taking students openly for such a skill.

Saizo has a learning rate of 2 with a +1 for studying a bonus skill of his (real) profession. He is then studying without a teacher (divide in 1/2). 3/2 = 1.5, which rounds back up to 2. For each week of study in kusari-jutsu, he gainst 2 points in skill, which over three weeks raises him from 55 to 61, and then his fourth week has an additional Hinderance of being highly skilled (over 60), allowing him to raise it only 1 points to 63.

...is that what he wants to do, or does he want to take the opportunity for kenjutsu?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

jemmus wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:54 pm Yes, he's petitioning Abbot Jansui Jichu.
[1d100]=78 Hmm....
The Abbot looks unimpressed with the tale of the sinful Sohei. He leaves in silence.

Zenrin petitions Kenzan [1d100]=53
Kenzan, foremost of the JAde Temple's senior staff seems more amenable and is willing to teach the errant Sohei how to better interpret the tenets of the Buddha.

Kenzan is level 3 and has a skill of 85 in Theology and Zenrin has a skill of 0. Zenrin has a Learning Rate of 2. His teacher is higher level (+1) and is at a monestary (+1). With private instruction (85-0/10=9) he learns 13 points the first week. (85-13/10 = 11) 11 the second week, he raises to 24. His third week (85-24/10= 10 the third week, rising to 34 and then 5+4=9 the fourth week for a skill of 43. Using the faster attribute rule, that also allows him to add 2 points to either Wits or Will.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by jemmus »

Sorry, I missed the part about the Stalking Village being available. Saizo would like to study Silent Kill with a teacher there.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Marullus »

Okay... let's see if I can knock this out. I just typed this all and the page lost it, so I'm tying it a second time from scratch...

Everyone remember, copy / paste special / values on the Inital Score column of your Development sheet to eliminate the formulas before you start adding growth to either skills or attributes. They're fixed once character creation is over.

Kamine no Zenrin
Kenzan, foremost of the JAde Temple's senior staff seems more amenable and is willing to teach the errant Sohei how to better interpret the tenets of the Buddha.
Add Butso-do Theology to your sheet and put 43 in the green Growth column. You can then add 2 mental attribute points.
Marullus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:20 am Kenzan is level 3 and has a skill of 85 in Theology and Zenrin has a skill of 0. Zenrin has a Learning Rate of 2. His teacher is higher level (+1) and is at a monestary (+1). With private instruction (85-0/10=9) he learns 13 points the first week. (85-13/10 = 11) 11 the second week, he raises to 24. His third week (85-24/10= 10 the third week, rising to 34 and then 5+4=9 the fourth week for a skill of 43. Using the faster attribute rule, that also allows him to add 2 points to either Wits or Will.
Satake Motoyuki
The samurai is accepted as a private student of Sensei Washima Masakage of the War School, an honor indeed.
Add the Reverse Thrust Okuden to your sheet as a skill under Kenjutsu and add 58 to the green Growth column. You can then also add 6 points to your physical attributes.
Your base learning rate is 2.

Yes - Studying with Teacher of Level Superior to student's own.
Yes - Studying with Teacher of 6th Level (Master).
Yes - Studying with Teacher who has mastered Skill (score of 99 in Skill).
Yes - Studying at an Academy. Monastery, School, etc., specializing in Skill.
Yes - Studying Bonus Skill for student's Profession
No - Studying with Aid of a Torimono (Teaching Scroll).

He is suffering no hinderances. Total learning rate is 5+2=7.

Private Study
Week 1: (99-0)/10 = 10 + 7 = 17 (new total 17)
Week 2: (99-17)/10 = 8 + 7 = 15 (new total 32)
Week 3: (99-32)/10 = 7 + 7 = 14 (new total 46)
Week 4: (99-46)/10 = 5 + 7 = 12 (new total 58)

Total growth in the Reverse Thrust Okuden from 0 to 58. With our Faster Attributes rule, that also allows him to add 6 points to physical attributes.
Keiso
The gakusho is accepted as a private student of Tomiku Mitsuhira of the Temple of Earnest Desire for Enlightment.
Add Raja Yoga to your sheet as a skill and add 45 to the green Growth column. You can then also add 2 points to your mental attributes.

No - Studying with Teacher of 6th Level (Master).
No - Studying with Teacher who has mastered Skill (score of 99 in Skill).

He is suffering no hinderances. Total learning rate is 3+2=5.

Private Study
Week 1: (80-0)/10 = 8 + 5 = 13 (new total 13)
Week 2: (80-13)/10 = 7 + 5 = 12 (new total 25)
Week 3: (80-25)/10 = 6 + 5 = 11 (new total 36)
Week 4: (80-36)/10 = 4 + 5 = 9 (new total 45)

Total growth in Raja Yoga from 0 to 45. With our Faster Attributes rule, that also allows him to add 2 points to mental attributes.
Saizo
The ninja seeks the Stalking Shadows base in the mountains. He studies with a wise elder named Masamitsu to improve his ability to bring a swift death.
Add 38 to the green Growth column for a new total of 58. You can then also add 4 points to your physical attributes.

No - Studying with Teacher of 6th Level (Master).
No - Studying with Teacher who has mastered Skill (score of 99 in Skill).

He is suffering no hinderances. Total learning rate is 3+2=5.

Private Study
Week 1: (80-20)/10 = 6 + 5 = 11 (new total 31)
Week 2: (80-31)/10 = 5 + 5 = 10 (new total 41)
Week 3: (80-41)/10 = 4 + 5 = 9 (new total 50)
Week 4: (80-50)/10 = 3 + 5 = 8 (new total 58)

Total growth in Silent Kill from 20 to 58. With our Faster Attributes rule, that also allows him to add 4 points to physical attributes.
Rex's PC
Marullus wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:40 pm Rex, you are starting at level 2 and get the same 4 weeks downtime as the others. Once you have your level 1 character built, you will get four weeks/turns that you also can train skills at the War School. Just explain some connection to your kin on the Daimyo's personal bodyguard.
Last edited by Marullus on Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by jemmus »

Nice! Amazing how much stronger my two PCs are after a month's good training. Thanks much for working all of this out and typing it twice, GM Marullus.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ffilz »

Hmm, we need to fix the sheets for attribute improvement. You added earned attributes for the ninja game, but total is still used for skills...

I really need to find the time to sit down and do a new character sheet...

I've added Reverse Cut but haven't added the attribute points...

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by jemmus »

Saizo's and Zenrin's sheets have been updated.
But I need to transfer Saizo's information onto the new version ninja sheet.
PCs

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”