News & Updates: Libram of the DM: Podcast

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: News & Updates: Libram of the DM: Podcast

#121 Post by GreyWolfVT »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:46 pm You could give it a shot on your own.

I would love (love!, love!) another podcast/audio drama like 'Tale of the Manticore' if you'd be tempted to start over with a new format. Just saying. ;)
I'm up for a different format rather than talking instructional.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#122 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:20 am There’s an OSRIC update coming out, with a Stuart Marshall module attached to it.
Oh?
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by rredmond »

It's attached to Kellri's Dangerous Dungeons/CDD update. Should be pretty big, and will probably take some time :D
But the playtest was fun! Some freaky new monsters.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#124 Post by dmw71 »

I actually just started re-listening to this podcast from the beginning (I'm up to chapter 2). It's a shame this one ended. I see now that you guys credited THACO's Hammer as an inspiration, so I may need to check that one out.
rredmond wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:20 am There’s an OSRIC update coming out, with a Stuart Marshall module attached to it.
Newer than 2.2 (which, I believe, is the latest version)?

This must be a top-secret project because I've found very little (read: none) information about it. Is this update mainly a rule refresh (e.g. returning the experience point tables to match the actual values in 1e, etc...), plus a more modern layout? Something more?
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by rredmond »

Actually just supplemental material at this point. Particularly with all the licensing bruhaha Stuart isn't changing a whit of OSRIC :)
But there's extra material (like a Monk and Bard class) and the module that I play tested with my Skype group, which was really fun!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#126 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:40 pm...Stuart isn't changing a whit of OSRIC...
Speaking of OSRIC, these just arrived today from Black Blade Publishing! :D That stich-bound OSRIC book is so nice, I might not want to take it out of its shrink wrap.

IMG_3262.JPG
IMG_3262.JPG (155.36 KiB) Viewed 336 times
IMG_3264.JPG
IMG_3264.JPG (230.7 KiB) Viewed 336 times
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by rredmond »

The BBP version of OSRIC is beautiful and sturdy. And Jon packs it like it has to make it through a war zone!!
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#128 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:48 pm The BBP version of OSRIC is beautiful and sturdy. And Jon packs it like it has to make it through a war zone!!
The wife and I were laughing at the impressive packing job. It was like opening one of those Matryoshka dolls. :lol:
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Rex »

LOL. I just got another Hyperborea players handbook today and it was packed the same way. I can't compare them to the OSRIC books as I don't have those but the Hyperborea books are great quality. This is a second players handbook for the gaming table as I am sick of sharing mine with the players. My wife on seeing it claimed it as her own and told me to order another one for the table. Now I am thinking about getting the leatherette set for myself and using my players handbook for the table. Decisions decisions.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by rredmond »

Jon and Jeff are cut from the same old school cloth.
Though Jon's cloth is a decade(ish?) older school than Jeff's :lol:
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by rredmond »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:51 pm The wife and I were laughing at the impressive packing job. It was like opening one of those Matryoshka dolls. :lol:
I started taking pictures as an "unboxing" joke. After the fourth or fifth layer of packing I gave up... there was still layers to go!! :shock:
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by sastaz »

Would you recommend OSRIC as your "retroclone of choice"? I always went with LL. Or sometimes OSE when I play with friends who are in love with OSE.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by rredmond »

I really like OSRIC, but I’m someone who grew up on, and mostly played 1e. OSRIC eschews weapon speed and adds in the bits of UA that I might consider using. It’s also free of that (wonderful) High Gygaxian language that sometimes made 1e difficult to learn :D But it’s like 99% First Edition which is my game. It’s reportedly the closest to its cloned game than others.

But if you’ve been playing LL or OSE, thats mostly forms of B/E/X I think. And S&W is more the Original LBBs. But I’ve DMed a bunch of LL adventures (in OSRIC/1e) and maybe a couple S&W adventures (is Palace of Unquiet Repose S&W or LL - I DMed that one without converting a thing. My players spent four hours playing just in the palace, we skipped the necropolis, and are afraid to go back. :) )

So while I don’t play the race-as-class (et al) rules I do like the flavor of LL for sure. For me it’s totally nostalgia and flavor though. I’ve played other editions, just OSRIC is what I DM and keep coming back to.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Rex »

I think if you have an original edition you played a lot and enjoyed then it influences your decision. I started with what we now call Holmes Basic and transitioned to what we now call 1e. In the end we ended up mixing the 2 when I started using HarnWorld as my setting of choice around 1985. We then transitioned to HarnMaster in 1992. So, unsurprisingly we ended up trying a bunch of OSR games and settled on BlueHolme. Based on playing in OM's Hyperborea game I backed the Hyperborea 3e kickstarter and we gave it a try in late December. We have now played 5 FTF sessions and logged nearly 60 hours of game time. It is our new favorite and I am really enjoying DMing for it. My suggestion is that they are all good, just be open to trying anything that peaks your interest and see what you and your group likes.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#135 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:25 pm I backed the Hyperborea 3e kickstarter and we gave it a try in late December. We have now played 5 FTF sessions and logged nearly 60 hours of game time. It is our new favorite and I am really enjoying DMing for it.
I was actually just looking into this game yesterday. It’s too bad the PDFs aren’t included with the physical copies of the rule books.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Rex »

Yeah, maybe reach out and he can arrange something. I do have the PDF as I backed it but I am a physical book guy and everyone at my table is too. OM's game is worth taking a look at if you are interested in an idea of the "feel" of the game. I would call it a cross of Holmes Basic and 1e AD&D. I am enjoying the rules and setting. I am a big fan of house rules but have only implemented a couple so far and I don't think it really needs them. More for personal preference than anything.
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by hedgeknight »

Man, those books are beautiful.
Winter is coming...
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#138 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I was going to say thanks for hijacking my old podcast thread/topic but since I see no revival of it. It doesn't really matter. ;)

That is a pretty slick looking book.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#139 Post by dmw71 »

For what it's worth, I did start listening to the THACOs Hammer podcast which you guys claimed inspired you and it's not bad. They've been running for a long time so I definitely won't be running out of episodes to listen to any time soon.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#140 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:23 am DM Mike indicates he has the Half-orc episode ready and will post it up this morning.
Hey, Ed, was this the final chapter released?

Libram of the DM: Chapter 22, Half-Orcs!

If so, I've officially finished listening to all of your released content.
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “General RPG discussion”