Barrowmaze: BRAGging Rites

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: BRAGging Rites

#21 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth moves to throw a javelin at the closest hobgoblin or warg.

Thrown Javelin [1d20]=3 to hit [1d6+3]=4+3=7 damage
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"Very well. Your plea has been noted." The Paladin moves to deal with the half-injured warg and assist Moorheeth.

Flail(17): [1d20+1]=16+1=17
Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(1+4)=5+2=7 L:[1d6+2]=1+2=3
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Vann Hector's: Crypt Knight's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=10+2=12 [1d8+1]=7+1=8

Suddenly begins to regret closing in melee when he has two loaded crossbows by his thighs.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal seems too fascinated by the destruction emanating from Sven's fingertips to do anything else than overwatch. However, seeing Moorheeth's staunch behaviour, she joins him in trying to find any non-hobgoblin survivors of the blast.

"It's no good, no one could have survived that unarmored. I'm sorry."
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#25 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Still a little awestruck by the flaming blast that came from Sven's fingertip, she ignores his remark about teaching the ladies this spell. She is unsure she would wish such destructive power within her grasp. So for now she merely remains alert, not wishing to waste her spells on the fleeing creatures.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Spearmint »

The Flaming Cabin

The hobgoblin riders get charred crispier than any leftover festive turkey. Arrows and javelins are hurled at the two warg riders who try to escape the conflict. Those missiles miss but they are struck by silky threads flung from the artful wrist and prestidigitation of Sven. One rider is pulled from his saddle while the second is tangled up in a roiling bundle of angry fur, fangs and sticky restraints.

Sir Dewey hammers one of the baying and burning wargs, ending its infernal misery. Moorheeth runs into the burning cabin and almost into the wounded hobgoblin. The figure clouts the priest with his string of onions before trying to skewer him with his dagger.

At the rear of the cabin, Vann Hector, Bucko & Yardie combine to cut down the Hobgoblin they face.

Amos and Sundance set upon one burning warg. They add another wound to its blistering hide. Those injured wargs roll in the dirt to extinguish any flames and sensing their group unity has gone up in smoke, they retreat hastily from the cabin to the safety of the surrounding woods.

The cabin burns, hot swirling flames, consistent not one explosive fireball but a bonfire of wood and thatch.
actions everyone please and Moorheeth, add a 4d6 with your post please as you are in the cabin.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth moves to attack one of the webbed wargs.

Silver Spear +1 [1d20+2]=16+2=18 to hit [1d8+4]=2+4=6 damage

MM says Wargs are size L. If not using L damage I can re-roll as a d6.
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand lets fly at one of the retreating worgs, failing to cut of their retreat.

Boomerang attack [1d20+2]=6+2=8 Damage [1d4+1]=3+1=4
Bommerang recovery target 16 [3d6]=11
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven rushes up to the burning cabin, shouting into the doorway, without going inside…yet. He shudders at the sight of the murdered family members scattered about, praying there are no others hiding inside.

“IS THERE ANYONE REMAINING INSIDE? GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!! HEAD TOWARDS THE SOUND OF MY VOICE!!! CALL OUT IF YOU NEED HELP!!!”

If he hears anyone calling back from the conflagration, he pops the collar of his fire retardant leather coat up and heads inside to try to find them.

“Smokie! Can you hear or smell anyone in there?”
Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth

Noting that there are more competent fighters just behind me, Moorheeth will push on if he can and only engage the hobgoblin that tried to skewer me if it comes into the cabin behind me. Otherwise once in there I will render aid, drag them to safety, and then apply cure light wounds to any in need.

Cabin entrance [4d6]=8

*if low is good - I did well!*
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal will stay vigilant close to Sven, before he goes into the burning cottage, ready for receiving any survivors. The smoke makes her cough, but not as much as it used to.

"Anyone left alive in there?!"
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight glances at the burning house and spots multiple people assisting, so he turns his attention to the hobgoblin rider that was dismounted.

He moves to within melee range, but not close enough to be webbed. "Surrender now! You have lost. Whose house was this?"

If the hobgoblin fights or tries to run, he will lash out.
Flail(17): [1d20+1]=9+1=10
Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(3+2)=5+2=7 L:[1d6+2]=6+2=8

He would also try to shield bash it back into the webs.
Shield Bash(17): [1d20]=14
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

The Flaming Cabin.

The Hobgoblin warrior who was injured by Isvand's arrow and stepped back inside the blazing cabin faces off against Moorheeth who has entered to try and save any victims of the raid. The Hobgoblin lunges at you with a rusty sword, striking you across the chest. -3hp

The blow is a serious wound but in staggering you back towards the door, potentially saves your life as you are not caught underneath the flaming thatch and roof timbers that sag and then collapse inward. The hobgoblin is not so dextrous and gets caught underneath, pinning him to the floor.

Sven can grab you and pull you free of further harms way. No response comes from within the cabin despite much shouting. Two figures do lie motionless in bloody pools at either end of the interior, one at least scalped clean by the raider trapped inside. Mercy and pity are in short supply and he is left to burn as an atonement for his sins. Peace is offered to the surviving Hobgoblin caught in the webs. His comrade run through by Orgoth.

The wargs are driven off or slain where they burn. The scene is horrendous and the smell, charred, burned flesh, wet wood, cackling and spitting as nails expand in the heat and combustibles in the cabin add fuel to the bonfire.

One Hobgoblin archer, injured and bound is hauled before the group. The NPC's leave the characters to whatever justice, swift and harsh is meted out.
The cabin is a simple peasant's small holding. Nothing fancy. At one time probably quite homely and inviting with vases of freshly picked forest flowers by the window sills and small patches of tendered vegetable crops ringing the hog pen. Now it just burns to charred ashes and blistered remnants.

The Hobgoblin asks no quarter, expects none.

actions, do you report this incident now, send someone back to the village, bury the dead, leave things for the militia to find?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth retrieves his javelins and then makes sure there are no survivors hiding anywhere near by.

"Its all right, you can come out if your hiding from the hobgoblins."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Spearmint »

there are none.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal puts her hands to her side and sighs. She's seen a lot of carnage the latest weeks, but it never ceases to get to her.

"There's evil lurking everywhere these times it seems." She looks around and waits for Orgoth's last call. When there's no answer she speaks again.

"We should keep on going I think, and report back when we get back. Hopefully the sight of their charred comrades will keep the raiders at bay for att least a few more days. What do you say?"
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand We should push on. We can report what we found upon our return. It is known that all sorts of creatures are out here, I doubt a punitive expedition would be sent. And if it was, it would likely... be us.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"And unlikely to be of very much use since it looks like just the wargs got away. There are more hobgoblins out there but I am not much on just trying to wipe all of them out for something they were not even involved in. We should continue on."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven makes sure every member who left with them is present and accounted for before addressing the group.

Looking to the Paladin, he shrugs. "I think we obviously need to report this incident, but I don't know if it makes any difference if we do so today."

He asks for opinions from each member before offering his own. "I agree that we should move along and report this once we return to Helix. But if anyone wants to go back now, I wont stop you."

"Does anyone know who lived here, by any chance? I say we leave a little reminder behind, in case any of their friends come by again. Maybe hang that one from the nearest tree with a note pinned to him?"
He points to Sir Dewey's captive.

If there are no residents left alive, were there any neighboring homes nearby? Perhaps we can stop at the next residence to report this?

Is there any livestock left alive? Seems a waste to leave perfectly good meat behind to rot.

If everyone agrees to push on, so will Sven.
Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth

With the excitement over, Moorheeth will brush himself off, and then inspect the wound on his chest for dirt from the rusty blade or slime. Some of these creatures use filthy or poisoned blades. I'll clean the wound out with some water if it looks dirty.

Alas. These could not be saved. Good idea on checking for livestock, Sven. There were also onions so there may be some garden beds around here somewhere with onions, leeks, or even some garlic -- we shouldn't let any of it go to waste! Hold a moment folks and I will say the final rites.

Given that I don't know what faith these unknown settlers were, I'll go with a fairly generic prayer to the angels of the lord of magic to carry them up into their final rest, etc... after we are done here, Moorheeth is also ok with pushing on.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”