Quest #40 "MommaPamma's Revenge"

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #40 "MommaPamma's Revenge"

#561 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Amun, I dabble some in Magic but prefer the blade and bow for now. My magical abilities are still pretty weak compared to most. Chauncey is stronger than most here on the island. He is able to throw more spells than I. We Mages are going to trade a few spells to strengthen the cause and will be ready in a few days. I will make sure you are informed once our departure is set.

-------------------

Darklin will spend his 8 hours a day scribing his new spells and 2 hours every night setting up his pavilion tent and getting his tent in order.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#562 Post by Monsieur Rose »

The Princess

She greets Wes at the cave and welcomes him. "Glad to see you back. I've been quite busy making the town hospitable for everyone. I mean, before we couldn't even research or transcribe spells."

The Princess gets the download of the fight with Momma and hangs her head. "I'm sorry about Luther, I know he was well-liked. I don't expect such a response for my sister. But you didn't know her like I do. Did."

She seems distant after the debrief, but offers her help. "Let me know if I can be of help during your attempt. I need something to take my mind off things."
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#563 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Daisy's time can best be described as "puttering around" She helps with whatever manual chores need done, does minor healing and medical care, gathers herbs, and such.

At some point, she visits Marge. Marge, Honey- ya'll have made a great start on creatin' a real town here, rather than just a place to survive. If you'll take it on, Ah'd like to step down as Mayor an' let you handle things. Of course, me an' the other adventuring types will be here to advise, but Ah don't think ya'll will need any help.
FA FO
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#564 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Darklin2 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:35 pm Darklin

My mentor had a familiar but it was always getting in the way. A frog if you will. I always thought it was a hinderance to have to worry about the well being of a frog in his day to day research and spell study. Luck of the draw I suppose.

I have not been to this Fire Obelisk, what do we expect to find there? Anything to increase spell capability or magical knowledge? I was sent there by my people (Elves) to find a Library that was supposed to be here on this island in one of the Obelisks. It was told in legend that it was full of Lost Arcane Lore and that finding it could help to bring All Goodly Raced back to power over darkness.
"That's the thrilling aspect; I have no idea what we will find in the fire obelisk proper. But this gem," Chauncey says, holding up the large ruby so recently possessed by the late Allissa, "came from its entryway, and allows one to deploy a destructive and quite dramatic ball of flame once per day. I'm quite fond of it."

"And based on the pattern revealed so far, I suspect we shall find your "library," whatever it may be, at either the noon or three o'clock position in the circle described by the obelisks. We have merely to press on in our circumvention."
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#565 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

That is thrilling news. I had gotten so wrapped up in the survival here that I had slowed my search mission to try and make life here a little more bearable. Setting up my tent and getting things organized. Well let's get to some spells shall we?
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#566 Post by sastaz »

ChubbyPixie wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:54 pm "And based on the pattern revealed so far, I suspect we shall find your "library," whatever it may be, at either the noon or three o'clock position in the circle described by the obelisks. We have merely to press on in our circumvention."
Amun

"We have to mearly what now?!"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#567 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Love the great roleplay here everyone!

I think I get the idea behind what characters want to do next, so it will just be a matter of working out the timing to get everything done before folks start leaving again.

My next update will encompass the situation with Luther and also balance out the spell sharing.

Please continue with anything else you want to do while still in New Hope in the meantime.
:mrgreen:
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#568 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Is there anyone willing to help me on a recon mission to the Dwarven Mines to search the wreckage for an anvil and smithing gear? I am thinking to set up a smith here so we can compliment the Sawmill with nails and building materials along with Weapons and Armor. This will be after my trip to the Fire Obelisk with Chauncey.

I will talk to Marge and see if she is OK with me sectioning off an area of land to build the smithy. Should be off from everyone sleeping area so as not to keep anyone awake. And the smells won't be all that great either. Would need room for a cauldron for boiling leather to make armor and a bellows and anvil to heat the wood coals to make weapons and other metal items.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#569 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I think I have the timeline figured out at 9 full days for all the spell sharing. (though Feanol will be ready to go in 4 days time after failing to learn one spell she wanted) I will detail these days (rapidly) one at a time for simplicity, so go ahead and make any adjustments to the plan as/if necessary while we go along.

If you leveled up, remind me of that so I can get your stats changed in these updates. Thanks!

A New Hope
Earthday, 4th of Harvester
Daytime, Humid, Hot, Buggy

By the next morning, the goodly folk from town have already started referring to their settlement as New Hope, giving the half-orc thug a little kick, actually doing something to gave folks purpose for a change. (he can add 300xp for the gesture)

The Princess is not pleased to hear about the horrible demise of her own twin sister, especially when she sees that there were no remains brought back as they did for Luther. She seems distant and distraught, despite the others feelings about their former scout. Wes disappears into her cave for what he knows will be a couple days of intense study.

Feanol borrows the most important book on the island and commences to learn the Magic Missile spell from Chauncey.

Darklin learns a new spell for leveling up. (Web?) He asks around for people willing to go along with him on a recon mission to the very off-limits Galeb Duhr territory.

Wake and Daisy do what they can to heal their comrades, bringing everyone back up to full health over the next few days.

Marge seems to read Daisy's mind about stepping down so she may continue adventuring, as if she knew the request was coming eventually. "No worries dearie. I think you deserve a nice long break after what you've been through. We can figure something out here."

Long discussions about magic and plenty of other topics are discussed as anyone willing stays hard at work making further improvements to the permanent settlement.

Actions?

I am going to go through these next 8 days fairly quickly, so speak up if there are any changes or specific actions you would like to take.

Leaving in 4ish days time:
Wake (hoping to find the next obelisk north of Nipple Gorge)
Feanol
Yrias
Maag
Daisy
Liam

Leaving after 8 more days
Chauncey (going back to the fire obelisk)
Elnaerel
Wes
Amun
Darklin

Departure unclear
Keg (looking at climbing back up the cliffs to search for obelisks etc. to the northeast)
Grimm

Liam AC:4 4/9
Daisy (C3) AC:6 23/23 3/3 1st / 2/2 2nd
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 26/26 RM, CL, DM 3/3 1st 2/2 2nd
Feanol (MU3) AC:10 14/14 RM, CL, DM 4/4 1st 2/2 2nd
Keg (F4) AC:1 32/32
Wake (C2) AC:3 16/16 4/4 first
Darklin (F/MU3) AC:4 23/23 RM, CL, DM 2/2 1st 1/1 2nd
Amun (F2) AC:2 20/20
Yrias AC:5 8/8 3/3 1st RM, CL, DM 1/1 1st
Maag AC:4 20/20
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 6/6 1st 5/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th
Grimm AC:5 20/20
Elnaerel AC:3 23/23 4/4 1st 3/3 2nd

Luther AC:3 ?/30 Dead?

In front of Daisy is a golden ring
In front of Darklin is a long bow and a dozen arrows.

In front of The Knife is a Gnomish made short sword and a dull purple stone.
In front of Chauncey is a pair of decretive metal bracers.
In front of Keg sits a very nice looking longsword that feels cold to the touch.

In front of Feanol rests a shiny silver ring.
In front of Elnaerel is a strip of brown cloth that looks like a headband and a sling with a dozen stones.
In front of Liam sits a plain leather bag.
In front of Grimm rests a crossbow.
In front of Yrias sits a pair of fine leather boots and a massive 2-handed sword.
In front of Wake is a very nice looking mace.

In front of Maag sits bastard sword.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#570 Post by sastaz »

Amun (who levelled up, please adjust the stats in the update, thx) is eager to go, but reluctantly stays another eight days before doing so. She'll get restless after the first day and start helping with some chores according to the wishes of the New Hope people, in exchange for food, if nothing else. There's always some structure to errect, I suppose.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#571 Post by gurusql »

Wake

Wake will try to figure out if there is a way to get together a few tents for the group. If this is purchasing always the best option, if he needs to go another route then he will try that.
Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#572 Post by Jernau35 »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:56 pm The Princess

She greets Wes at the cave and welcomes him. "Glad to see you back. I've been quite busy making the town hospitable for everyone. I mean, before we couldn't even research or transcribe spells."

The Princess gets the download of the fight with Momma and hangs her head. "I'm sorry about Luther, I know he was well-liked. I don't expect such a response for my sister. But you didn't know her like I do. Did."

She seems distant after the debrief, but offers her help. "Let me know if I can be of help during your attempt. I need something to take my mind off things."
Wes

Wes nods sadly as the Princess speaks of her sister. "I'm sorry. Truly sorry. There was nothing we could do."

"I did think the worst of your sister for a while. But eventually I realized that I was wrong about her. She did things her own way, certainly. But I don't believe she intended harm. She certainly risked her life for others on several occasions, and she died trying save Luther. The Blessing of Obad Hai is assured for her. She will ride with him in the Wild Hunt"
Chance of being Suprised: 33%
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#573 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm will go looking for his people's magic item, the reason of him being on this island. His last memory of it was that he gave it to The Princess for safekeeping and also using it as a means to help the people of New Hope.

He goes into the cave and enters as if nothing happened, probably because he's more focused on what he's going to say than in what's going on around him, contrasting with the emotional moment created by their talking of Allissa.

"Greetings, Princess!" he waves his hand as he enters the cave. "I see the town is doing really good... Ahem. That's good! A question though, where is the horn I gave you? I just wanted to know if it's still here and in a safe place before I leave again for another exploration mission."

He also suggests using the horn as a means to provision all the adventurers with food before they leave.

Elnaerel She leveled up, by the way.

To Darklin : "Are you sure you want to go back there? Do you remember what happened last time? That place is teeming with rock monsters. We almost got killed!"
The cleric thinks of the painful memories and she decides to be alone and pray.

Yrias will help wherever is needed and chill.
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#574 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Darklin2 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:14 pm Darklin

Is there anyone willing to help me on a recon mission to the Dwarven Mines to search the wreckage for an anvil and smithing gear? I am thinking to set up a smith here so we can compliment the Sawmill with nails and building materials along with Weapons and Armor. This will be after my trip to the Fire Obelisk with Chauncey.

I will talk to Marge and see if she is OK with me sectioning off an area of land to build the smithy. Should be off from everyone sleeping area so as not to keep anyone awake. And the smells won't be all that great either. Would need room for a cauldron for boiling leather to make armor and a bellows and anvil to heat the wood coals to make weapons and other metal items.
"Darklin, I have a great interest not in the Dwarven Mines and what can be salvaged there, but in the rock people themselves," says Chauncey. "I must admit, though terrifying, they captured my imagination. I hope to learn mystical secrets of the earth from them.

"As others have intimated, they would probably as soon smash us flat into a pulpy goo as look at us, deeming us as much unwelcome interlopers as the evil dwarves, yet perhaps they may be placated with an offering of some kind, some mineral or precious stone. It will require research and a spell that allows communication without the need for physical contact – a spell I mean to research as soon as I am able. Perhaps some arrangement can be made with them to make them our allies at best, or indifferent to us at worst. Perhaps they could even be induced to trade for the anvil you mention."

The wizard can be found from time to time throughout the day "checking in" on Wesley's progress with Luther's reincarnation, hovering around his hut for any signs of flashy spells or bones rising from the sand to take on life, though he does not go so far as to disturb the druid while he is "working,"
Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#575 Post by Bluehorse »

Liam Also leveled up. Total is 18 now :) The old veteran is starting to crack the old cartilage as they say and get more limber as the hardships of the island have forced him into action, but his body has begun to respond and he is feeling a little more like his younger self. (Un)fortunately, he is too busy to realize that he is getting back into shape as his spindly body becomes more wiry. Over the next four days he will help Wake find the party some tents or see if some of the ladies or craftsman can help them make some. He will also do what he can to procure some general supplies for the group, refill tinder boxes, rations, and as a side quest project, he will see what the townsfolk themselves are looking for from the wilds that he and the party can look out for to bring back on the return trip.

Keg Did not level up... but is a higher level already... so... I'm okay with that. is ready to leave as soon as Grimm is as long as it is after a long rest and once they have provisions for a long trip. His plan is to leave about an hour before dawn and get an early start on the trip. Hit the climb soon as the light is bright enough to be safe but early enough to avoid as much of the heat as possible for a good start.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#576 Post by Karaunios »

Bluehorse wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:07 am Keg Did not level up... but is a higher level already... so... I'm okay with that. is ready to leave as soon as Grimm is as long as it is after a long rest and once they have provisions for a long trip. His plan is to leave about an hour before dawn and get an early start on the trip. Hit the climb soon as the light is bright enough to be safe but early enough to avoid as much of the heat as possible for a good start.
As soon as Grimm knows the magic horn is secure, he's ready to go.
Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#577 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

Spends time working on copying the Maigic Missile spell into her book. If she has any spare time she'll be happy to assist Wes with the reincarnation spell research. She'll be ready to go as soon as the rest of her group is after the 4 days are up.

She'll let Daklin know "once I return if you are here I'll be happy to assist with the scouting in the mine area."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#578 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A New Hope In New Hope
Freeday, 5th of Harvester
Daytime, Humid, Hot, Buggy

Amun rests, heals, and trains, becoming restless enough to help with some menial labor around New Hope.

Wake looks around for a group tent, finding out Nallissa has one rather large, bulky 8-man burlap tent for sale. Her price is firm at 50 gold coins though. :?

As usual, Grimm the dwarf seems agitated, constantly mumbling about his horn, trying to remember where he left it.

Elnaerel spends a lot of time looking around the nearby jungle, trying to research how the animals and insects implement abilities to blend into their natural surroundings.

Yrias spends a good deal of time investigating the many bugs on this island, squishing and killing them incessantly, seemingly obsessed with figuring out a way to minimize their annoyance.

Liam helps out wherever he can, as is his way, feeling almost his old self again.

Keg and Grimm seem ready to go, but the dwarf awaits answers from his meeting with the princess.

Wes continues his attempt at bringing their friend Luther back, hoping whatever vessel The Shalm provides is suitable for the former human. He gets help with his burden from all of Luther's friends, each one excited to see the outcome of the powerful natural magicks.

With her new spell now complete, Chauncey borrows Feanol's book to start transposing her Stinking Cloud spell into his goblin-skin covered atrocity.

Though no ships arrive with new supplies, the moral around New Hope has never felt higher.

Actions?

I am going to skip through these next 7 days fairly quickly, so speak up if there are any changes or specific actions you would like to take.

Leaving in 3ish days time:
Wake (hoping to find the next obelisk north of Nipple Gorge)
Feanol
Yrias
Maag
Daisy
Liam

Leaving after 7 more days
Chauncey (going back to the fire obelisk)
Elnaerel
Wes
Amun
Darklin

Departure unspecified
Keg (looking at climbing back up the cliffs to search for obelisks etc. to the northeast)
Grimm

Liam (F2) AC:4 18/18
Daisy (C3) AC:6 23/23 3/3 1st / 2/2 2nd
Chauncey (MU4) AC:8 26/26 RM, CL, DM 3/3 1st 2/2 2nd
Feanol (MU3) AC:10 14/14 RM, CL, DM 4/4 1st 2/2 2nd
Keg (F4) AC:1 32/32
Wake (C2) AC:3 16/16 4/4 first
Darklin (F/MU3) AC:4 23/23 RM, CL, DM 2/2 1st 1/1 2nd
Amun (F3) AC:2 33/33
Yrias AC:5 8/8 3/3 1st RM, CL, DM 1/1 1st
Maag AC:4 20/20
Waesfaren (D6) AC:7 53/53 6/6 1st 5/5 2nd 2/3 3rd 1/1 4th
Grimm AC:5 20/20
Elnaerel (C4) AC:3 30/30 5/5 1st 4/4 2nd

Luther AC:3 ?/30 Dead?

In front of Daisy is a golden ring
In front of Darklin is a long bow and a dozen arrows.

In front of The Knife is a Gnomish made short sword and a dull purple stone.
In front of Chauncey is a pair of decretive metal bracers.
In front of Keg sits a very nice looking longsword that feels cold to the touch.

In front of Feanol rests a shiny silver ring.
In front of Elnaerel is a strip of brown cloth that looks like a headband and a sling with a dozen stones.
In front of Liam sits a plain leather bag.
In front of Grimm rests a crossbow.
In front of Yrias sits a pair of fine leather boots and a massive 2-handed sword.
In front of Wake is a very nice looking mace.

In front of Maag sits bastard sword.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#579 Post by Karaunios »

No changes on my part.
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#580 Post by sastaz »