Into the Mines

hedgeknight
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Into the Mines

#41 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raz takes the tome unsure if anyone in the group can even decipher it. "I'll hold onto the tome if anyone else wants to take a look at it be my guest." he informs the others.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rex »

Moan

"Yes, sick is a good way to describe them. Maybe we should detect for magic on this stuff? For ease of carrying everyone should take 40sp and 6gp, I will take 5gp."

Sheet updated.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by Darithe »

"Fine work Kol and Mag! I like jobs where I have as little exertion as possible." She pockets the allotted coins ignoring the giant's belongings. Although, the casket troubled her. Why would the giants be interested in such a thing?
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by tarlyn »

Kol

The barbarian is curious and eyes everything. The casket intrigues her.

Frowning, she approaches the pine box. "Is nice wood box , um, I see somehting like it when a people is bury at cemetery? I curious.

Look inside maybe?"
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by gurusql »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:56 pm Raz takes the tome unsure if anyone in the group can even decipher it. "I'll hold onto the tome if anyone else wants to take a look at it be my guest." he informs the others.
Mag

"I will be happy to take a look."

GP and SP added to sheet.
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Karaunios »

Starkad recovers his arrows. He then nocks one in his bow and stands guard in case any surprises come for them while his companions check the giant camp.
GreyWolfVT

#47 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raz hands Mag the tome to look over. "Certainly, it looked all swirly whirly to me so I imagine it is not anything to do with divine magics."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by hedgeknight »

gurusql wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:42 am "I will be happy to take a look."
Mag takes the battered tome gently in hand and opens the pages. Several are blank, but the first page is written in Elvish as being the personal spell book of "Ghendrell Firewalker of Neverwinter Woods." And while there are many pages torn and filthy, two are still fairly easy to read. They bear the following spells: Magic Missile, Message, and Shield.
Winter is coming...
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by hedgeknight »

Karaunios wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:49 am Starkad recovers his arrows. He then nocks one in his bow and stands guard in case any surprises come for them while his companions check the giant camp.
There is a 50% chance the arrows are not reusable. I'll roll this time; you can roll for the future if you'd like ;)
Arrows 1-5 good 6-10 broken: [1d10]=4 [1d10]=6
Winter is coming...
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rex »

Moan

Moan tries to recover the 2 arrows he fired.

1 is recovered, 2 is broken/missing.
Arrow recovery [1d2]=1 [1d2]=2
1 recovered.
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by gurusql »

hedgeknight wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:05 pm Mag takes the battered tome gently in hand and opens the pages. Several are blank, but the first page is written in Elvish as being the personal spell book of "Ghendrell Firewalker of Neverwinter Woods." And while there are many pages torn and filthy, two are still fairly easy to read. They bear the following spells: Magic Missile, Message, and Shield.
Mag

Mag says "This will be very helpful once I can transcribe them into my book" and he cleans off the dirt and other stuff he can and places it in his backpack.

I am assuming that is what I would have to do to use them.
GreyWolfVT

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raz smiles "Well at least someone had use for it if anything it was good for giving me a headache."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Karaunios »

hedgeknight wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:08 pm
Karaunios wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:49 am Starkad recovers his arrows. He then nocks one in his bow and stands guard in case any surprises come for them while his companions check the giant camp.
There is a 50% chance the arrows are not reusable. I'll roll this time; you can roll for the future if you'd like ;)
Arrows 1-5 good 6-10 broken: [1d10]=4 [1d10]=6
Thanks! Since I fired four, I'm gonna check for the second two.

Arrows 1-5 good 6-10 broken: [1d10]=5 [1d10]=2
GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raz "It's a dead body. Kinda strange for a giant to have a corpse in a coffin in their pocket if you ask me. It was rather a disturbing find on my part."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Karaunios »

Starkad tries to find out if the body has any ritual markings, tattoos or even jewelry.

"Maybe it's preserved "food" or something ritualistic. Who knows?"
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by hedgeknight »

The retrieval of arrows and the examination of the child's coffin seem to occupy the time of most of the companions, that and the retrieval of the battered spellbook, which Mag excitedly claims, looking forward to adding to his arcane prowess. Once this is done, the attention turns to the coffin and the body of the child within.
Starkad begins to examine the little body (which is not more than three-feet in length), looking for markings, tattoos, or jewelry. There are no markings or tattoos, but tucked around the body and interwoven in the wrappings are several sprigs of holly and lavender. Also, there is a woven necklace of hair to which is tied a small piece of antler or horn.
But, not only is the body interesting, on the underside of the coffin's cover, there is a carving...which appears to be that of a deer with many antlers. On either side of the deer is carved a jagged bolt of lightning.
Winter is coming...
Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Karaunios »

Starkad

"I think we should bury him..." He will not take any of the offerings placed in the barrel with the child. "I'm wondering if the child was meant to be buried in the barrel. Look at the necklace... Hair an, presumably, antler." He then points at the carvings. "And look at the carving in the barrel. It's a deer. With many antlers.

Perhaps this child belonged to a clan that venerates the deer as a totemic animal and they bury their dead in containers... Like this barrel. The giants could've have taken him just before being buried. Perhaps this child doesn't have anything to do at all with the miners.

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me see..."

He tries to ascertain if he recognizes the deer and lightning symbol from somewhere and if the necklace is indeed made of deer fur and antler.

Skill Check [1d20]=7 vs 14WIS
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

Moan

Does moan recognize the symbols? Deer figure? He will study everything carefully. "Yes a proper burial is a good idea."
GreyWolfVT

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raz agrees "Yes, I do agree that everyone deserves a proper burial however the giants, I think we would be better off burning, but then again I don't wish to start a forest or grass fire. I can't imagine entire groups of people digging graves for dead giants whatever does happen to them I wonder." the gnome clearly getting lost in thought and distracted mid conversation.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by gurusql »

Mag

"I think we should return the body in the coffin to the town. We know nothing of the burial rights of his family and while we would be respectful, they may want to visit the grave for example and would need to know where that is to do it.

Not to mention the giants are a distraction for our mission, we should be getting back to the Drow in the mines."

Return to “Forgotten Realms: Adventures in the North (1e)”