OGRE MAGE
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Garrotten

#81 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling
He starts to hear a weird clicking somewhere underneath him
That description either points to a mechanism (clockwork?) or a creature (cricket rubbing his legs?). The strange warning causes him to halt a minute. I will spend a turn to search the open prop room then, looking for any suspicious 'props' such as murder devices, traps, stiletto blades in boots. Props might also be created here, so designs for unique stage inventions, mirrors, puppets (murderous Chucky doll mannequin?)

I will also press my ear to the floor to listen in to the noise in the cellar or sewer, cistern? I want to see if the clicking noise is following my own footsteps above or is a stationary noise? A machine working? A money printing machine comes to mind? (Rogue thoughts).
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by tarlyn »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:28 pm
OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:05 pm Priska seems confused when he answers Ashley, keeping his distance from the tavern entrance. "I called you over because it seemed like you were looking for something. This place is something, isn't it?" The 30-something human wipes his nose on his sleeve again before continuing. "Your little friend asked if this was the place to look for a murderer, at least that's how I took it. You wanna tell poor Priska what that's all about?" The man smiles broadly with an exaggerated simpleton grin. (Give me a d20 INT check along with your next action, please.)
Ashley steps next to Priska and wraps her arm around the simpleton's shoulder. "Well sure, buddy --" she starts. "-- let's talk about murder..." She gives the urchin a quick, tight squeeze before releasing him and stepping away.

"You care to deal with him?" she says to Zap, disgustingly, before mumbling under her breath something about there soon being another murder.

Roll
Intelligence (12) check: [1d20]=20 -- not sure if this is good or bad? :lol:
Zap

The little gnome sighs, nodding.

Turning to the man, he smiles with teeth showing.

"Listen, we are trying to find out who murdered someone. If you can help us, that is great! If not we will wish you a wonderful day and be off.

Is that something you understand or do you want me to explain it to you like I would a child?"
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt(Michault)

Lestadt looks over at the house and responds to the voice. "Indeed, sir! My new young friend here just informed me of that!" He turns back to the boy and says in a hushed voice, "No, keep the coin and ask your friends. Do a good job and I may have other things I need help with. My name is Michault and I'll be staying at the inn." He then smiles and winks at the boy before stepping back towards the house.

He walks with a slight limp this time, obviously using his cane to help his gait. "Oh, good sir, may I have a word with you for a moment?" Need to give them more time. He thought. After a few steps, he feigns tripping over a small rock or clump of dirt and stumbles, grasping his left knee. "Bejabbers! This consarn knee!"

Lestadt stops and makes as if to sit on the ground for a spell. "My apologies, sir. I just need a moment here. Old sailing injury, you see. The kind that retires sailors if you get my meaning." He chuckles as if it were some kind of inside joke.
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"We should get working on finding some more info I think. Any idea where to start?"
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

"Luna, what can you tell us of the various businesses in town?"
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

"Last night? Oh! I was with...no, that was the night before. But I know where to find him today, we could go there now." Luna seems eager to go visit her friend in town.

"I think the first thing is to determine if this was a solo act, or orchestrated by a group. The theater has a bevy of actors who could portray anyone. The Inn is filled with shady characters who wouldn't be above murder. And of course that armorer." She casts an eye towards the shop.

"The general store clerk and baker are good enough people, I don't see eye to eye with the leatherworker, but that's more philosophical differences. If we proceed under the assumption that they were impersonated without magic, they would need costumes. Using specific items would mean that someone with some skill made them, the button and the lutestring. Maybe we find out where Balmorrow gets his strings and who can make the buttons. Or if they are missing strings and buttons."

"Let me grab some things, and let's go pay him a visit."
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#87 Post by tarlyn »

Int Check [1d20]=19

Oh well lol as he points at a rock "Hey that's a rock..."
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Quonundrum »

First three ability checks ...

20, 20, 19 ...

Yeah, we're doomed. :lorcl:
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"Perfect, I suspect that the items were stolen from their owners but it would be good if we can determine that for sure."
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

dmw71 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:28 pm Intelligence (12) check: [1d20]=20 -- not sure if this is good or bad?
On a normal d20 ability check in 1E, you want to roll your attribute score or lower to succeed. (Think of it as the higher your skill is, the easier the roll should be.)

So Many Moving Parts
Moonday, Early Evening, Clear

Luna's Shack

The trio of investigators at Luna's shack agree that they could simply ask the unlikely suspects if any of their items went missing. Luna grabs some of her gear and they are soon on their way to the Theater of the Mystic, where her special male friend Balmorrow should be able to straighten at least some of this up.

As they approach the nearby building along the road, they spot Lestadt from a distance. The man appears to be speaking with one of the theater workers already. Luna recognizes him as Wilbur, a young human who works as a stage hand and fill-in actor.

Actions?

Zahra AC:5 24/24 CLW/CLW/C/DM/DM A/DC/KA/SWA
Draxon AC:5 27/27 DM/E/US ESP/K
Luna AC:7 26/26 DM/E/FF/IA/SA/SA C/CM/CLW/T NP/P/SS

Theater of the Mystic

Redgrave searches the floor of the auditorium for ticket stubs, finding it swept clean already. He does manage to find a single paper stub stuck under one of the bench legs, so he secures it away for possible use later.

He hops up onto the raised stage and heads for the side door that must lead to the hallway they saw earlier. He doesn't find any clues, or props scattered about, or thespians practicing in the darkness, but once he opens the door, he does find Carling out on the hallway with his ear firmly pressed to the floor.

On his initial search of the prop room, Carling doesn't find anything he deems important to the investigation. Most of the props are more cartoonish than incriminating. He comes back out in the hallway, stopping again to listen intently at the clicking he still hears below the floor. When a door down the hallway suddenly opens, he also hears a single loud bark from a dog below him now.

Still outside, Lestadt goes into a bit of acting himself. The boy responds before running off. "Thanks Michault! I'll make sure to tell all my friends about this. If they seen anything, I'll come find ya at the Inn!"

Lestadt turns to find a young man in plain clothing heading towards the theater with 2 wooden bowls in his hand. He sets the full bowls down quickly after the thief feigns his fall, moving over to aid the ailing stranger. He keeps a distance of about 6 feet initially, but does seem concerned about the unannounced visitor. "That sounds rough, sir. Is there something I can help you with? As I already said, there is no show today." Lestadt looks down the road towards the lake in the distance. As the light of day fades, he spots 3 people walking towards the playhouse, one of them carries a large white owl on his arm.

map:
FCF343D5-2A87-4E28-AB40-29A018E4A880.jpeg
FCF343D5-2A87-4E28-AB40-29A018E4A880.jpeg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 393 times

Actions?

Lestadt AC:8 20/20
Redgrave AC:3 25/25
Carling AC:3 17/17

The House of Abraham Inn and Tavern

Priska seems a bit uncomfortable with being squeezed, literally and metaphorically. He backs away from the not so friendly Ashley after her comment about murder, sensing that something isn't right with this pair of strangers. When Zap speaks up, the man ignores the insult, but his eyes widen slightly at the talk of someone murdered. "I can help you! That's what I do here! All you need to do is tell me who got murdered."

Actions?

Ashley AC:8 31/31
Zap AC:8 10/10 DI/GR/WoF DM/MI
Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Quonundrum »

Lestadt(Michault)

Draxon, he thought upon seeing the distinguishing white owl. "Yes, actually, I was looking for ..." he starts and then seems to notice the two full bowls. "Oh, but it appears I am intruding on your dinner? Just a moment ..." He extends and locks his left leg then pivots himself upright with the cane, leaning on it heavily. Time's up, you two.

"Right then, that's better. Yes, I was waiting here to meet with a couple friends, perhaps you've seen them? An elf and a dwarf?" He casually steps to his right so that the man's attention is focused opposite the theatre side door. "We were hoping to catch a show, but I was also interested in meeting Mr. Balmorrow."

He keeps one eye on the side door, looking for Redgrave and Carling to exit. "I heard his performance in Restenford last night, exemplary, and I wanted to meet him personally. Unfortunately, he left rather quickly. I am told this is his theatre, though?"
Last edited by Quonundrum on Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#92 Post by dmw71 »

Ashley will continue to allow Zap to take the lead on this interaction, creating a bit of additional distance between herself and the simpleton annoying her.

She allows her attention to wander as she begins to survey their immediate surroundings. Just casually examining the general architecture of the nearby structures and the appearances of any locals at work or just passing by. She does make a conscious effort to study the area for the level of security in practice. Specifically, whether there formal guards on patrol?

After making a mental note of any findings, she turns her attention back towards Zap and the urchin. Annoyed.
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by Bluetongue »

Quicksilver Carling

The elf sees the stout figure of the dwarf Redgrave emerge from the doors at the end of the corridor.

It seems I have alerted a guard dog in the kennels below. So I don't want him to keep yapping. I will put a finger to my lips, hushing Redgrave from walking down the corridor, suspecting more creaking floorboards will arouse the dog further. I will signal to Redgrave to circle back around. While he does so (assuming he understands my finger pointing and gestures), I will go back to the first locked room and have a go with some picks and skeleton keys.

If unsuccessful, I will exit with the dwarf. If Quicksilver strikes gold, well let us see what he finds.

Quicksilver Carling Open Locks vs 47% [1d100]=13
gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by gurusql »

Draxon

Draxon puts his hand up over his mouth and quickly says "I suggest that we keep going, looks like some of our friends are already looking into the Theater. No need to increase the rumor mill by talking. Given that building is dark we should perhaps continue to his home? Or somewhere else we could find Balmorrow?"
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"An excellent idea, does he have a home somewhere?"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Spearmint »

Karloff Redgrave

Gets alarmed at first seeing the elf prone on the corridor floor. Thought he might have been bumped off.

He understands the 'quiet please' and 'come around the other way', quite universal signals.

He walks back through the theatre and lobby and joins the elf in searching the room he has entered.
On his way through the lobby does he notice any reference to the last week's performance times and any stage rehearsals? Perhaps posters or flyers advertising the forthcoming schedules. At least that might be evidence that the bard Balmorrow was here not elsewhere during matinee and evening performances.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Luna

She keeps her gaze at the man in the street. "Oh, that's who that is. He's talking to Wilbur, I think. Nice kid, as far as I can tell. But who knows with actors, right?" Luna tries to imagine Wilbur murdering someone and chuckles a bit.

"Well, that's the thing. He lives in the basement of the theatre. Most of the rest of the group lives in that building right behind. Where are your other friends? Are you saying that that man there is playing lookout?"

She looks furtively around. "I think the leatherworker is busy, but who knows?" Luna shakes her head. "This is silly, I've been here many times. There's no reason to hide, let's just go in."
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Rex »

Zahra

"OK, in it is. I suspect he is playing lookout but don't know for sure."
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by tarlyn »

dmw71 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:42 pm Ashley will continue to allow Zap to take the lead on this interaction, creating a bit of additional distance between herself and the simpleton annoying her.

She allows her attention to wander as she begins to survey their immediate surroundings. Just casually examining the general architecture of the nearby structures and the appearances of any locals at work or just passing by. She does make a conscious effort to study the area for the level of security in practice. Specifically, whether there formal guards on patrol?

After making a mental note of any findings, she turns her attention back towards Zap and the urchin. Annoyed.

Zap

The little gnome goes into a short story about the murder they are investigating and if Priska can help Ashley and himself find out who did it.
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#100 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Page turn.

Writing new update now….

Return to “L2 The Assassin’s Knot (1e)”