OOC I

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#141 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:08 pm Investigates the drawer.

[1d20+5] = 18+5 = 23 Investigate

[1d20+5] = 11+5 = 16 Investigate Disadvantage

I assume the Disadvantage still applies to this?
The first level of Exhaustion penalizes you with:
"Disadvantage on ability checks."
Per the rule on Skills:
"Sometimes, the DM might ask for an ability check using a specific skill..."
So, yes, an 'Investigation' attempt is an ability check and would need to be made at disadvantage.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#142 Post by Scott308 »

For Advantage/ Disadvantage, I held my finger on the thing I wanted to roll and a box popped up so I could select one or the other.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#143 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:55 am For Advantage/ Disadvantage, I held my finger on the thing I wanted to roll and a box popped up so I could select one or the other.
I'm assuming, because you're using your finger, you're using the mobile app? It's not working for me by long-clicking with my mouse over the skill modifier where the check needs to be made with disadvantage (or advantage).

Disadvantage.jpg
Disadvantage.jpg (36.61 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Clicking the "+1" for Tova's 'Stealth' skill only rolls once despite needing to be rolled at disadvantage. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong? But, I've been trying to figure out a way to make DM rolls and I just don't think it's possible... which really blows.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#144 Post by Darklin2 »

I don't use the mobile app. Just the net version.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#145 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:06 pm I don't use the mobile app. Just the net version.
Same.

I think, until they make considerable updates to their roller, we'll continue to use the roller here, which is great. In the event, however, there is an outage on the roller here, it's nice to know the D&D Beyond roller capabilities and logging are improved enough where they can be used in a pinch.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#146 Post by Darklin2 »

The roller and system have been updated here. So you will need to log in and change your password.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#147 Post by dmw71 »

I'm watching the weekly Dev Update and Adam mentioned that ---

HOLY CRAP!!!

Big announcements today. I can't even remember the original thought I was going to post.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#148 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:34 pm Big announcements today.
If interested, see here.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#149 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:08 am
Scott308 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:55 am For Advantage/ Disadvantage, I held my finger on the thing I wanted to roll and a box popped up so I could select one or the other.
I'm assuming, because you're using your finger, you're using the mobile app? It's not working for me by long-clicking with my mouse over the skill modifier where the check needs to be made with disadvantage (or advantage).

Disadvantage.jpg

Clicking the "+1" for Tova's 'Stealth' skill only rolls once despite needing to be rolled at disadvantage. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong? But, I've been trying to figure out a way to make DM rolls and I just don't think it's possible... which really blows.
I was using the website on my phone. That's where I do the vast majority of my gaming on the Unseen Servant. Did you try right-clicking? I am on the PC now and just gave that a shot, and got the option to roll with advantage/ disadvantage. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to make DM rolls using this system, as you would have to have a character. You could always make a generic character in the campaign, but unless you wanted to change the stats for each NPC/ monster you roll for, you'd have to add their bonuses manually. Even then, all the rolls would be logged as the same character, making it more difficult for you to keep track of which roll was for which enemy (unless you create multiple DM characters on Beyond). I don't know how you do things on the US roller, so it may not actually be that much different.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

Darklin2 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:00 pmOOC- I will split the quills, ink vials, and parchment with the Mage in the group. Keeping the other half for my next level to Mage.
Looking at the footer, I don't see any Sorcerers, Wizards, or Warlocks in the group?

IC, our introductions were abbreviated, so Thrydwulf isn't assuming he knows what capabilities any of them have. That's why he asked for "woojy types" to speak up. :)

Also, there hasn't been normalizing with the new PCs why we're going up the tower. The IC statement is to "find the goblin's friends." There's no way up the tower except through this dusty, completely untouched room, so Thrydwulf is raising that IC to let the other PCs express our objective to the new guys. :)
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#151 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:09 pmThere's no way up the tower except through this dusty, completely untouched room, so Thrydwulf is raising that IC to let the other PCs express our objective to the new guys. :)
I had to go back to see how this room was detailed, and what information was shared... and, I probably screwed up a bit.

Thrydwulf specifically inquires about tracks -- his, and others -- here:
He examines his feet to see if he is disturbing the dust, and if the dust has been disturbed previously or recently.

My next update, here:
Thrydwulf enters the room, noting prints his tracks are leaving are the only disruptions in the room. At least recently.

I remember my mindset and thought-process when I was formulating my above response.

Two details about the room:
  1. That the room was covered in dust and cobwebs:
    "...the entire space is now covered with dust and cobwebs."
  2. The flooring in the room is thick and plush
    "The walls are paneled in a dark wood, and the floor is carpeted with a thick and plush burgundy carpeting."

I remember debating whether goblins -- small, light creatures -- would disrupt thick and plush carpeting?

I'm pretty sure I noted Thrydwulf's low Perception result -- 8 -- instead of his much higher Investigation roll -- 19 (natural 20). A specific request like that should have definitely fallen under the purview of an investigation check.

It's safe to say, had I used Thrydwulf's Investigation roll instead of Perception, he would have certainly noted that there has been at least some light traffic through the area.

So, in case there's any question or doubt or suspicions about whether the goblin did pass through this area, I can assure you that he did. The carpeting was meant to make tracking activity in this area difficult, but not impossible.

Apologies for any confusion.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Marullus »

Oh! Thanks! Yes, I was definitely confused. :)

The tracks lead to the southern door by the pan-pipes, right? That's our only clear exit because the stairs don't continue upwards?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#153 Post by dmw71 »

Marullus wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:11 pm The tracks lead to the southern door by the pan-pipes, right? That's our only clear exit because the stairs don't continue upwards?
Correct.

I mean, the conditions are not optimal for precise tracking of every step taken, but, now that you're aware of the tracks, it's clear that they at least move from the stairwell to the door, yes.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#154 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:00 pm We should take the painting and mirror too.
I haven't really spent any time considering or researching these, but the mirror and paintings are fairly large and bulky items, and not exactly the most portable. You're more than welcome to take them (or come back to retrieve them on your way out), but assume them to be fairly encumbering.

I will formally decide on what the actual values (e.g. encumbrance/weight, etc...) are if/when you formally decide to take them.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by Darklin2 »

I'll grab them on the way out after we finish the climb.
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Session 1: Reunion Interrupted

#156 Post by Darklin2 »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 pm Vinwrick Greenbottle

As he moves into the room, the halfling takes note of the surroundings. Glancing at the bookshelf, he shrugs his shoulders as he won't be able to do much involving a shelf almost twice his height off the ground. He instead moves to the wooden door, listening for any sounds beyond it.
Perception: [1d20+3]=5+3=8
As needed: [1d20]=11; Reroll if a 1: [1d20]=18
Darklin, removing traps would not be a Sleight of Hand roll. It would make use of Thieves' Tools, so DEX + Proficiency, assuming you are using Thieves' Tools and are proficient with them. In your case, since Lutharin has expertise in Thieve's Tools, his roll would actually be made at +8, not +6 like a Sleight of Hand roll would be made.
OOC-So Thieves tools are used for removing traps. (Dex Bonus(+4)+Proficiency(+2)+Expertise(+2)= +8). Is that the same case with Finding Traps assuming you use the tools to find them too or Just the Investigate/ Perception Check??
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Locks, Thieves' Tools, and Trap Detection

#157 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:39 pm Darklin, removing traps would not be a Sleight of Hand roll. It would make use of Thieves' Tools, so DEX + Proficiency, assuming you are using Thieves' Tools and are proficient with them. In your case, since Lutharin has expertise in Thieve's Tools, his roll would actually be made at +8, not +6 like a Sleight of Hand roll would be made.
This is correct.

I previously detailed this in an archived game of mine (see: Locked Doors), but to avoid having you jump to old posts, then from those posts to all the different rules that apply, I'll summarize the process, here:

1. Other Dexterity Checks
    The DM might call for a Dexterity check when you try to accomplish tasks like the following:

Control a heavily laden cart on a steep descent
    Steer a chariot around a tight turn
    Pick a lock
    Disable a trap
    Securely tie up a prisoner
    Wriggle free of bonds
    Play a stringed instrument
    Craft a small or detailed object
  2. Tools
    A tool helps you to do something you couldn't otherwise do, such as craft or repair an item, forge a document, or pick a lock.
    Thieves' Tools
    This set of tools includes a small file, a set of lock picks, a small mirror mounted on a metal handle, a set of narrow-bladed scissors, and a pair of pliers. Proficiency with these tools lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to disarm traps or open locks.
  3. Expertise
    At 1st level, choose two of your skill proficiencies, or one of your skill proficiencies and your proficiency with thieves’ tools. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses either of the chosen proficiencies.

There's also this, from the Dungeon Master's Guide (not shared, so the link may or may not work for you):

1. Locked Doors
    Characters who don’t have the key to a locked door can pick the lock with a successful Dexterity check (doing so requires thieves’ tools and proficiency in their use).

I take issue with that last part of the 'Locked Door' quote from the DMG, however, as proficiency is not required with to use thieves' tools, as confirmed by Jeremy Crawford, here:

Thieves Tools.jpg
Thieves Tools.jpg (65.98 KiB) Viewed 690 times

So, anyone with thieves' tools can attempt to unlock a lock. Then --
  1. If you have proficiency with thieves' tools, you can add your proficiency bonus.
  2. If you're a rogue and have Expertise in thieves' tools, you get to double your proficiency bonus.

For Lutharin with his 19 dexterity :shock: , he ultimately has a +8 modifier, broken down thusly:

Dexterity (19): +4
Proficient with Thieves' Tools: +2
Expertise with Thieves' Tools: Yes (Double '+2' proficiency to '+4' total)
----
Total Modifier: +8

Darklin2 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:13 pm OOC-So Thieves tools are used for removing traps. (Dex Bonus(+4)+Proficiency(+2)+Expertise(+2)= +8). Is that the same case with Finding Traps assuming you use the tools to find them too or Just the Investigate/ Perception Check??
There isn't exactly a set way in which every trap is discovered. Part of that determination depends on the type of trap/trigger there is; another part is DM interpretation of the situation, and how they use dice in the game.

Most frequency it will be a check of some kind:
  1. Perception, or
  2. Investigation.
Either check above will be made against a set difficulty class (DC) and/or be subject to advantage/disadvantage, or possibly some other modifier.

Chapter 8 in the DMG is on 'Running the Game,' and there's a great section in that chapter entitled 'The Role of Dice' which details three different philosophies when it comes to using dice in the game. Essentially, these three roles can be summarized as follows:
  1. Rolling with It
    Some DMs rely on die rolls for almost everything. When a character attempts a task, the DM calls for a check and picks a DC.
  2. Ignoring the Dice
    One approach is to use dice as rarely as possible. Some DMs use them only during combat, and determine success or failure as they like in other situations.
  3. The Middle Path
    Many DMs find that using a combination of the two approaches works best. By balancing the use of dice against deciding on success, you can encourage your players to strike a balance between relying on their bonuses and abilities and paying attention to the game and immersing themselves in its world.
    By the way, I believe I tend to subscribe to the 'The Middle Path' philosophy, but do find myself leaning towards 'Ignoring the Dice' more frequently of late.

Ultimately, what roll is needed (or even 'if' a roll is needed) is determined by the DM.
-- Project --

-- DM --
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#158 Post by dmw71 »

The above has been added to the 'House Rules' topic.
-- Project --

-- DM --
Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by Darklin2 »

OOC-Thank You for the explanation. I am still trying to get away from my 2E ways and learn this new System. I will get it. Just got to stick with it.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#160 Post by dmw71 »

Darklin2 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:36 am I am still trying to get away from my 2E ways and learn this new System. I will get it. Just got to stick with it.
My strongest recommendation would be to just roleplay your character without being concerned with the mechanics. Almost everything is resolved with a d20 roll. Imagine what you want your character to do and communicate those intentions. Supply a d20 roll (or two) and I will apply those rolls however they're needed.

Note: Per my 'Die Rolls' house rule, any unused rolls will be ignored (I don't bank or carry over rolls), but it's always better to provide them and not need them than need them and not have them.
-- Project --

-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Manor Hills (5e)”